JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Seeking God

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting? How does God respond to their seeking? Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting? 

Being that prayer is form of communication, as they converse with the Lord they are able to gain a greater focus on their calling. 

Fasting can be a means to humble one's self before the Lord and/or a means to grow closer to God through mediating and focusing on Him. Fasting in essence has several purposes; it can be a means of surrendering to the understanding we depend on God alone and draw all our strength and resources from Him; it can be a means of focusing totally on Him as we seek His guidance/help; it can be a means of showing that we are earnest in quest/task and or call; it’s also, at times, an expression of sorrow and deep repentance, something that a person or community will do in order to acknowledge failure before God and seek His 

Fasting and prayer can help us hear from God; it can reveal hidden sin; it can strengthen intimacy with God; it can teach us to pray with right motives; it  can shape our faith.

In this case I believe it was all aforementioned with a strong emphasis on guidance as they embraced the call.  

Acts 13:3 “And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

The laid their hands on them = we support your call, we align with your walk, recommending them to the grace of God for the charge in front of them, praying for God’s blessing upon them, and victory  as they embark upon the charge.

How does God respond to their seeking?

Acts 13:2, 4  

As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.

Christ prophesied and affirmed the charge 

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today?

I’m not 100% sure, 

Where I worship we do as mentioned here in Acts 13

If I had to speculate why any congregation do not do likewise, it would be do to the agreeing not to do so according to the leadership of the said congregation. 

Why would the leadership choose not to incorporate fasting and prayer? I can only speculate they have varying motives and/or that which they have in place is sufficient.

Truthfully, I do not know and I’d rather not speculate in a negative manner.

What was the importance of this to the church at large?

I believe is demonstrated being in/on one accord. I believe it demonstrates being aligned with the Lord step by step. 

To the chosen missionaries? 

I believe to the chosen missionaries, it’s important because it affirmed the call/charge. I believe to the chosen missionaries of today it affirms the call/charge. 

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?

Corporate Prayer and fasting honors the ordinance of Christ in Matt 18:19-20 "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them." This has been a regular manner before and after the day of Pentecost  (See Act 1:13-14; 2:1, 42-47; 4:23-31). 

God spoke to them and revealed His will to set apart Paul and Barnabas for the work He has for them, to carry the gospel to the gentiles.

We rely on our own effort rather than that of the Holy Ghost. Human planning has supersede God's own.

What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

The importance of seeking God is to help us serve God in the best manner and to have His stamp on all our undertakings for they would then be under His guidance. As a result of this, we won't be doing things by human wisdom but by the demonstration of the Spirit and the power of Holy Ghost. This will bring much fruit and success to the mission works.

Corporate Prayer and fasting honors the ordinance of Christ in Matt 18:19-20 "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them." This has been a regular manner before and after the day of Pentecost  (See Act 1:13-14; 2:1, 42-47; 4:23-31). 

God spoke to them and revealed His will to set apart Paul and Barnabas for the work He has for them, to carry the gospel to the gentiles.

We rely on our own effort rather than that of the Holy Ghost. Human planning has supersede God's own.

What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

The importance of seeking God is to help us serve God in the best manner and to have His stamp on all our undertakings for they would then be under His guidance. As a result of this, we won't be doing things by human wisdom but by the demonstration of the Spirit and the power of Holy Ghost. This will bring much fruit and success to the mission works.

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3)

Q. Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?

A. So as to seek His counsel regarding who to send forth for assignments

Q. How does God respond to their seeking?

A. He told them specifically, to send out Paul and Barnabas for the specific assignment.

Q. Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

A. I think we assume that we know what God wants and just go ahead to take action.

But it is very important that the Church should  seek for God's perfect will and plan through corporate fasting and praying. This is more so when choosing leaders because God is the One Who  knows the heart of man and thus knows who should be chosen.

The Church leaders are seeking God through corporate  prayer and fasting because they wanted to get the right guidance and direction from God. When we get together in unity and pray and humble ourselves through fasting God indeed hears and answers and shows us the right way. The Church leaders truly understood that they cannot rely on their own wisdom or strength but need to go to God to carry out His work through  His Church. 

Because the Church leaders  sought God in prayer and did not trust in anyone else God answered them by showing  them the right way to go ie, setting apart Paul and Barnabas.

We dont do more of corporate prayer and fasting today for many reasons. We may rely on our own individual prayers or never go to God for the right counsel or lack of time and many other distractions keep us away from seeking God like this.

The importance of this to the  Church  at large was they could get the right direction through  which light leaders were chosen to do the right think according  to the will of God. When you act in accordance with God's will it benefits the Church  from all wrong things.

Its important to the chosen missionaries because they know they are appointed  and chosen by God to carry out His plans. They are encouraged this way when they know God is the one who has chosen  them and will be with them to go ahead and do everything even when they may feel they insignificant or unable for the task ahead of them.

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting? How does God respond to their seeking? Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

They are seeking God for His direction on what they are to do next. Who they should send and where.

He speaks to them through the Holy Spirit. "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

I think that we are more concerned in a general sense with having people come to church; sing worship music, listen to the sermon, have a closing prayer and/or song and let the congregation get on with their lives. We seem to fear or think they won't come back if we keep them too long. We have created a formula  that many churches accommodate and this formula leaves no time for the Holy Spirit to work as He did in Acts 13. Maybe because we fear or don't understand the Holy Spirit and how He works, so we leave Him out.

It was everything: they sought the Lord for what to do next and the Holy Spirit told them who to send and where to send them. If the church at large isn't doing this (church today) then they are flying blind and by there own knowledge and in their own strength. Once again we are leaving the Holy Spirit out.

The importance to the chosen missionaries is the same as above: "they fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away." Seems like the right way to commission God's servants to do His work. If the church isn't doing this it is not following the example of the 1st century church and not getting it right

When I read the number of Scriptures that say, "Wait on the Lord", "Be silent", "Seek the Lord" - I realize that KNOWING God is paramount to knowing His will.  Why would God reveal more of His incredible will, if I wasn't all that interested in knowing Him?  The more I truly KNOW Him, the more I will know His will, want the Holy Spirit to enable me to cooperate in doing God's will, and the more God will do through a willing servant.  The early disicples probably understood that much better after pentecost then we do today.  "They that WAIT upon the Lord shall renew their strength....mount up with wings like Eagles"...  Why eagles?  To get a clear view of the big picture.  Only God sees the entire picture of history simultaneously.

Most of the church in years gone by, my perception, did much more corporate fasting and prayer.  I do not hear of many who fast and pray individually today, thus such weakness in the body of believers.  Jesus was clear, "WHEN you fast..."  Paul knew the OT and there were many calls for Israel to fast and pray.  Jesus brought it into the NT, but for some reason, in our "action", "do it now" society, many think programs are the key in reaching people with the gospel.  However the old saying is true, "We can do more than pray, but we cannot do more than pray until AFTER we have prayed."  

In churches I have pastored and pastor today...I first seek the Lord...and He prompts me at times to call for times of fasting and prayer, whether simply to KNOW God more intimately or to seek Him first and then for answers over a situation.  God has never failed to grow me/us, has never failed to answer, has never failed to grow His church.  Great comments above by the way.  We can be solidly biblical, call for times of fasting and prayer, and only then be the kind of churches that multiply according to God's plan.  It is a stressless process because we recognize the magnitude of Who God is and we surrender to HIS immeasureable power so He produces His results.  It is a glory to see and experience with other believers!!

On 8/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. For one thing they were different races, Manaen was a member of the court of Herod,  and Saul/Paul still had a lingering reputation as an outsider and persecutor of Christians. They needed to be in one accord as they were worshipping and meeting together. Holy Spirit is a unifier! Barnabas and Saul had just returned from a completed mission, and they were seeking God regarding sharing the Gospel of Jesus. 

2. Holy Spirit spoke and said to separate Barnabas and Saul for the work to which He had called them.

3. Arrogance? Divisiveness between denominations? Not really serious about knowing God's will? Lack of urgency to spread the Gospel? Passivity (someone else will do it).? Cold hearts?

4. It was critical in spreading  the Gospel to the Gentile nations.

5. It was confirmation to them of their call to Gentiles,  that they should work as a team, and were being sent out by their brothers in Christ, who would provide a prayer covering, interceding for them, and they may have financed the journey as well.

Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting? Joel 1; 14 says, consecrate a fast; call a solemn assembly. Gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land to the house of the LORD your God, and cry out to the Lord.

How does God respond to their seeking? God responds through the Holy Spirit. He gives word of knowledge, word of prophecy and anything He chooses to.

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? From what I learn and see today there is a great need, an urgency to seek God through prayer and fasting corporately. There are those who are doing it but at the same time there is the body of Christ still asleep. All the while Good is looking and waiting.2 chronicles 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sins and will heal their land.”  

What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?It is important to continuously seek God at a personal level and then at a corporate level. Every step we take depends on our relationship and intimacy with our Father in heaven. When we put move with our feet on the feet of our Father, He is the one doing it not us. In this way we will be able to accomplish the great commission given to us by Jesus. It’s not about us it’s all about Him and His Kingdom

On 8/28/2019 at 12:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Church leaders in Antioch seek Gods help and direction for the church through corporate prayer and fasting.

The Lord answered their prayers by the Holy Spirit, that they are to separate Paul and Barnabas for the work for which he has called them.

Today many church's have set up their constitutions, bylaws and values of conduct. Many believe that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and gifts are no longer needed in this day and age.

In the early days of the church the gifts of the Holy Spirit were depended upon for guidance, especially in the ministry of prophecy and teaching. 

Being supported by the Holy Spirit was of great importance to the missionaries, by the spirit they were directed to preach the gospel and share the word of the Lord. 

“Matthew18:20 For here two or three gathers in my name, there I am, with them.” I would think it could be said with 100% certainty that this concept was taught, from the oldest to the newest members of the church.

When these people prayed in this fashion, with total sincerity, prayer was quite often met with positive results. Said results were many being saved, healed, and prophecies.

The reason we don’t see this so much today? I would have to call it not believing that what the Bible says is true. Man has reasoned so much of the word out of existence it isn’t even funny. It is looked upon as outdated or something okay for older people needing something to do and insecure people. If you so much as say something from the Bible, you can bet it will be met with something like “my God would never do that or allow these things to happen”, using God’s name in vain in every sentence. “Church” people tell me these things ended with the early apostles and try to back it up with what Paul said about all things must end. I Corinthians 13:10 is that verse and only Jesus has ever been perfect and when He comes these gifts will pass. There is a saying I often use (and it would be good if I were to practice what I preach) and it goes “If you want to do what Jesus did, you must do what Jesus did.” While those words don’t always make sense at first, if you say it enough times the concept begins to sink in. Although I have never spoke in tongues, I have heard them. Although I’m not a teacher, I’ve seen some really good ones, I’m not a healer but I’ve seen people healed. Why is there so much pride that it gets in the way of truth? People are afraid of what the world will think. Well, be a friend of the world and you can consider yourself an enemy of God.

This was very important to the Church, because connecting with God is what it’s basically all about in the beginning of the journey, but God expects us to get much closer to Him and not just be looked upon as another icon made by human hands and called on only when needed and being expected to listen to a person’s problems without being able to get a word in edge-wise or repeating man made poetry over and over like a broken record.

This was also important to the missionaries because they depended on God completely to tell them what to do, when to do it, where to do it, what to say to who, and the list goes on. We are to pray unceasingly. Praying doesn’t mean you are supposed to do all the talking. Its like a kid in school who is always talking to the person at the desk behind him and never learns anything because he/she doesn’t know when to shut up and listen.

The church leaders must have been stuck on what to do next so they went to their king and asked Him what to do. They were fasting to get closer to God. God is always close with us but sometimes we need to get closer to God. God gives them the answer to their problem. The reason we don’t do that today is because we have a society that is fast paced and we don’t want to slow down and get closer to God. This was very important to the church at large because they were able to grow. The chosen missionaries knew what to do.

Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting?

This is a time for church leaders to gather together focusing on Jesus, drawing close to him and listening to him.  

Holy Spirit directs them to dedicate Paul & Barnabas for the work God had for them.

Why do you think we don't do more of this sort of thing today? What was the importance of this to the church at large? To the chosen missionaries?

Every church has their own agenda.  Unfortunately, we leave out praying for our leaders in corporate prayer.  I think many of us, individually, do pray for our leaders.  It is important when we do corporate prayer and fasting because it is an opportunity where we can give and receive ministry and confirmation.  We will all be on one accord.

Our pastor was just talking about how the Mothers and other saints labored in prayer and fasting around the altar.  The New Testament reminds us how the church got started.  I love reading about Pete in the upper room.  Much prayer was going on that people thought they were drunk and souls were added to the church.  They are witnesses of the move of God when the church got started.  They did prayer and fasting because the power of God prevail. Leaders like Paul nd Barnabas was led my the Holy Spirit and the people saw signs, miracles, and wonders follow them so God spoke and they were anointed and sent out to do a work for God. This day and age people are so jealous.  You dare not let God use you in a powerful way.  That spirit of jealousy pops up and it hinders the move of God.  I look at renown preachers doing marvelous work for the Lord.  They support each other because they all have the same goal which is to win souls.  The greatest miracle is the saving of a soul.  The 99 were left behind to go look for 1 soul.  Jesus told the disciples some things only come but by prayer and fasting.  We today must do exactly what the word teaches the church.  There are strength in numbers that is why Paul went to the different churches to strengthen them and to make sure they were on the right track doing a work for the Lord.  Heaven and earth shall past away but God's word will stand forever.  Churches and their leaders including the missionaries can't go wrong following God's word.

1. Fasting can help to humble one's self before the Lord which can also help us to hear from him. It brings about being guided by the Lord.

2.. God spoke to them letting his will be known to carry the gospel to the gentiles.

3. We rely on ourselves and not the Holy Ghost.

4 and 5  It’s important that the Church  seek God's perfect will and plan through fasting and praying.

1. In humility the leaders in Antioch were seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting, to draw close to Jesus and to listen from Him.
  2. In response the Holy Spirit speaks to them through prophecy.  Paul and Barnabas are named in the prophecy to be set aside for special purposes of God.
  3. The reason why we don't do more of this today is because the church as such is not taught more about this, or less importance is given to fasting and prayer.  Even when taught, to some it may sound very difficult task to do as the present world is of instant flesh gratification.  People tend to rely more on their flesh to fast than to depend of God to help them.
  4. The importance of fasting and prayer was that as they humbled themselves and sought the Lord, He answered and directed their paths.  To the missionaries, they see their calling from God in the ministry and the way to go ahead.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. It is for worship, seeking the Lord, drawing closer and for hearing from Him.

2. They hear from the Lord through prophecy.  While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, 'Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.' 3  So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off." (Acts 13:1-3)

3. Because many Christians do not depend on the Holy Spirit, are not totally committed to the Lord and not led by the Spirit of God.   The world has a strong pull on them. 

4 & 5. It is so important the the church at large and to chosen missionaries to hear from God and be led by the Spirit.  Our dependence has to be totally on the Lord.   I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5

They want to know who to send out.

Through fasting and praying the Holy Spirit set apart Barnabas and Saul for the work he called them to do.

Too much of: cultural doctrinal and denominational Division. Often, we don’t take the time nor see the need; and let’s not forget, being self-center 

Missionaries (Barnabas and Paul) was “set apart for the work to which I have called them. and sent fort”.

The importance show, whatever the body of Christ need, we are to seek the Head for direction.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

By prayer and fasting, the church leaders endeavors to discern and align itself with the Spirit`s plans and intentions. They are especially sensitive to the communication of the Holy Spirit during the time of prayer and fasting. 

People now a days  tend to rely more on their own  strength than to depend and seek God for help.

The church sent out  missionaries who show its commitment to support and encourage those who go out to work together for truth.. The church`s responsibility  includes sending missionaries  to their places of ministry with love and in a manner worthy of God.  They must be willing to risk their lives for the cause of JC.

The Holy Spirit will empower and and establish them in local churches. By the Power of the HS living in and through them , the new Christians received and  used Spiritual gifts like God-given abilities for the purpose of honoring him and benefiting the church. The Ministry of the Spirit allowed them, to carry out God`s life transforming work in their communities.

Q3. (Acts 13:1-3) 
Why are the church leaders in Antioch seeking God through corporate prayer and fasting? 
To the chosen missionaries?

There was a great need at this momentous occasion – they needed to recognise the will of the Lord, His directions for the church going forward. They were actively seeking the help of the Holy Spirit in spreading the gospel into the Gentile world, and corporate prayer and fasting is a special time in seeking this guidance. Through the prophets that were in the church at the time they received guidance for the future. For example, we read that while they were worshipping and fasting, the Holy Spirit set apart for Him, both Barnabas and Paul. Fasting was done when there was an important decision to be made, and we note that the Holy Spirit was very active in this early church. Our Lord Jesus, before He ascended into the heavens, told His disciples that after they had received power from the Holy Spirit “you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8). Here we read about the beginning of the last phase, going into the then known ends of the earth. Their most important function was letting the world know about our Saviour Lord Jesus Christ, and the spreading and understanding of the Word. The church at Antioch was the first NT church and was functioning on God’s pattern. This was no user-friendly church, functioning on man’s pattern, that we often see today. This is a spirit-filled church. They took many years to get them to the point where they were ready to explode upon the pagan world. Antioch sent missionaries into the Gentile world, initially to Cyprus, and Asia Minor, and later to Macedonia and Greece. They were successful in the task of proclaiming the Good News to the known world. 

They were fasting and praying because they wanted to know God's will for the church and what it would include. They were looking to align themselves with the will of the Lord and needed to realize that His will for the church was what mattered. Not only that but the very fact that Jesus wanted the church to preach the gospel to the whole world as well. It says in the text that the Holy Spirit set aside Barnabas and Paul for the work. Then they prayed and fasted before laying hands on them and letting them go. I believe it is because we think missionaries are enough. The importance of this to the church is that by sending them away they showed that they were ready to let them go out of the church and serve. For the missionaries it brought many to Christ through them.

I believe that the leaders were directed by God to pray and fast. Many times in the Bible it talks about fasting and the importance of it. It is meant as a time where you set your physical needs aside and concentrate on listening to Him. This time draws you closer to the Father like Jesus was when  Her was tempted. Only then can God really talk to them and tell them what He  wants.The whole church needed to be involved because it affected them. 

God told them to set apart Paul and Barnabas for the ministry. 

I believe that a lot of churches are too busy with other things they do not take time to fast and really pray about anything. Church members are more concerned with worldly things than spiritual. We have so many other idols that take the place of God . We have no room or time to really spend praying or even fasting. We have lost touch with who we really are. 

It was important to the church at large because the leadership was being passed from Saul and Barnabas to others. Other people would have to take over their job as pastors now.

It was important to the chosen missionaries because only God knew who would be the best ones for the ministry. In order for it to be effective they needed to be listening to what God wanted not themselves. God knew that Paul and Barnabas were well seasoned warriors and could withstand the hardships and persecutions. When you send someone off to be a missionary you need to be sure you draw on God's wisdom and not your own. They need to be sold out for the Lord and on fire; willing to do anything.

The church leaders seek God through corporate prayer and fasting per the norm in the olden days .The community come together as a body of Christ to seek God 's counsel and guidance regarding the many numbers of Gentile believers. 

God affirmed the decision by telling them to set apart Barnabas and Paul for the ministry 

Nowadays we don't see this as much probably due to too big a congregation .Likely the pastors and the select few lay personel team still practice Prayer n fasting when seeking God 's  counsel .Also in our fast Internet age , likely things get speed up and people set up Prayer chat groups instead .

Present day churches do believe in the importance of praying n seeking the anointing of the Holy Spirit before we implement our plans and programs.

The chosen missionaries need the conviction and power of the Holy Spirit to go before ,alongside and behind them ,in order to do evangelistic work as they share the gospel and to plant new churches .

Without God 's blessings , nothing will amount much .

• 2 weeks later...

There is variety in the church! The common thing  which was among the five men was their deep faith in Christ. Today we must never exclude anyone whom Christ has called to follow him.

The church dedicated Barnabas and Saul to the work God had for them. The church today is not having time to dedicate members or ”to set apart” for a special purposes. We, need dedicate our pastors, missionaries, and Christian workers for their tasks or assigments God wants them to do. We can also dedicate ourselves to use our time, money, and talents for God’s work. Ask God what he wants you to set apart for him.