JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Power Encounters

Q2. In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)? Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? If not, what else is needed? Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)? Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? If not, what else is needed? Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

1a. When Paul encounters the sorcerer named Bar-Jesus (Elymas: Wise man, the name given himself) who sought to keep the proconsul Sergius Paulus, from receiving Christ, Paul faced him, called him out for his sorcery and being the son of the devil, then in the power of the Holy Spirit pronounced him blind for a time. Then Sergius Paulus believed when he observed what had happened. (Acts 13:6-12)

1b. In Iconium, Paul and Barnabus stayed a long time speaking freely and fearlessly and boldly in the Lord who continued to bear testimony to the Word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be performed by their hands.

2. I don't believe so, as the miracle could be accredited to some other source apart from the Word of God. (In Revelation, the anti-Christ, empowered by the false prophet will do signs and wonders, even enabling  a statue to speak words.) A miracle of God needs to be accompanied by His Word preached in the power of the Holy Spirit.

3. Yes, I have. The most notable was seeing Marion Burgio (whom I didn't know until later when I ministered with her), emaciated and crippled from a disease, and near death, carried in on a stretcher at a Kathryn Kuhlman crusade in Oakland, California. When the Word was preached, healings began all over the arena floor.  I was seated in the balcony and saw the lady (Marion) transformed from near death and paralysis to life. Her mousy gray hair color was even restored to a beautiful brown color. No one touched her. She told me later that her family brought her, near death, in hope that something could be done for her. She told me later "I thought when I heard the beautiful singing, that I'd died and was in Heaven". She had a young son and was restored to her family as wife and mother...and then evangelist.

Ironically, the Lord had spoken to me a number of times to invite my neighbor to go with me. I was a very new believer and kept arguing that she wouldn't want to go because she is Catholic. I stalled until the day before when He finally said "Ask Gloria!" I did and nearly fainted when she said she would love to go. When we walked in and were seated in the balcony we noticed the entire choir was Catholic Nuns!!!!  Gloria accepted the Lord that day! Praise God for His faithfulness and patience with us...later her husband came to talk to me about Jesus and to get some answers to his questions, (God graciously helped me to answer them) and he too became a believer!

3b. If miracles are not happening, the Word is not being preached in the power of the Holy Spirit. I can't think of any other reason. 

1 hour ago, JanMary said:

I forgot to mention another amazing miracle (signs and wonders) accompanied by evangelism. 

When our son was about 5 years old he had a bicycle accident which cut off part of his thumb. When he ran home there was just the bone sticking up and lots of blood. No hospital was nearby so we rushed him to a clinic nearby.  A short time later a neighbor showed up with the rest of the thumb, packed in ice in a baggie. (that in itself was a miracle that the thumb was found and that somehow he knew where we would be.) The next miracle was the doctor on call was a hand plastic surgeon! We called our pastor and he came to pray...and ended up helping us hold our son down, as the meds given to calm him, instead caused him to be very agitated. We prayed quietly in tongues during the surgery.  We were told to elevate his hand all night, (I sat by his bed all night and held it up) and to bring him back in 2 days. When the doctor unwrapped it, his expression was troubled and he said "It's black...the tissue died and it needs to be removed or he'll get gangrene." He said "sadly with this loss he'll lose 70% of the use of his hand." I asked for 2 more days to have him anointed with oil and more prayer. This time when we returned and he unwrapped it, his mouth flew open and he almost shouted "IT'S  PINK...IT'S ALIVE! WE DOCTORS DON'T GET TO SEE MIRACLES!!!"  He was Jewish. I explained that Jesus is Messiah, our Savior and Healer. We bought him a Bible....and fully expect to see him in Heaven! Thank you, Jesus for miracles!

Q2. In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

It’s my belief that God use power encounters and sings and wonders according to His will for His purpose, [Hebrews 2:4 - God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to His own will?] (Hebrews 2:1-5).

Romans 15:19 - Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. (Romans 15:17-21) [Verse 21 NASV - but as it is written, "THEY WHO HAD NO NEWS OF HIM SHALL SEE, AND THEY WHO HAVE NOT HEARD SHALL UNDERSTAND."]

In Acts 13 God used Paul mightily! God revealed unto Paul the workings of the certain sorcerer, the false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus “Elymas.”

Submitting to the Spirit, the Prophet, (Paul), prophesied according to the leading of the Anointed One’s guidance in regards to the underworking of godliness by the prince of the air using Elymas. As the prophesy came to past (Deuteronomy 18:22; 2nd Corinthians 12:12 - The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles.), the Lord/Holy Spirit/Christ was magnified/lifted up via signing and wonders and the unbelievers were drawn unto Christ.

In Acts 14 God granted signs and wonders to testify the Apostles were under His anointing and in line with His charge unto them: A spiritual battle of words began between the Apostles of The Way and the unbelieving Jews in addition to nations (possibly proselytes) the unbelieving Jews stirred up. The Lord confirmed the Apostles' (sent One’s) words with signs and wonders (miracles): boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands."

Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own?

In my opinion Signs and Wonders are impactful however neither are the saving Word of Grace. Each (both) are God's secondary testimony to the Word of His Grace. I believe that can be igniters and/or spiritual sparks but not the power of God unto salvation.

They can ignite and or usher one to move unto belief but they do not transform the mind’s eye, the heart more so that than an anointed song drama which accompany the Gospel. In my opinion the self-authenticating glory of Christ is what change the mind’s eye of mankind and faith in His work is that which save the Believer.

Many throughout Scripture many saw miracles, signs and wonders - some of them after witnessing the miracle - some were quickened - some return to disobedience; fell away - some begin to walk in obedience – some were change – if it’s God’s will the signs, wonders, miracles can remove scales from eyes – restore spiritual sight and/or give spiritual sight. Even so submission unto the Spirit/the Spirit’s Guidance is paramount: His grace is sufficient – If anyone has ears to hear, let him/her (them) hear! A Prophetic Word: He that hath an ear, let him hear

Matthew 11:15 - He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. (Hears & Obey)

Matthew 13:9, Mark 4:9, Mark 7:16, Luke 14:35 He that hears & obeys; SEVEN TIMES in Revelation 2 and 3 appears the statement “He that hath an ear, let him hear”

Those with Circumcised Hearts Hath an Ear and Hears When God Speaks

Taking 1st Corinthians 14:21-25 out of context Verse 22 - Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Faith cometh by hearing the Word of God Romans 10:17; Hebrews 11:6 hearing/believing – Saving Faith is what it takes to trust in Christ and in Him alone for salvation.  “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36, 3:16, 524, 6:40, 11;25, 12:46, 20:31; Acts 10:43, 13:39,16:31; Romans 10:9).

The Believer MUST seek the counsel of the Lord regarding Sings and wonders alone (1st John 4:1)

The Serpents’ helpers, Elymas, the devil (Satan) can perform signs and wonders.  2nd Thessalonians 2:3-12 (Verse 9 - that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders) [Matthew 24:24; Revelation 13:13]

If not, what else is needed?

Faith - Daily Faith is that day-to-day dependence on God, which is part of the sanctification process.  “For we walk by faith, not by sight” (2nd Corinthians 5:7; 1st Timothy 4:12; James 1:6; John 3:16; 2nd Corinthians 4:18; Romans 8:24; Hebrews 11:1, 3;6,3:14, 10:39).

Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism?

Yes, I’ve seen lives changed!

God uses them at His discretion. He knows when these power encounters as well as signs and wonders are needed. And what their purpose is, far beyond what we are able to see. And they have the desired effect on unbelievers and believers alike. He uses them to bring glory to Himself.

No.

Faith.

Because often times Jesus was performing miracle of many kinds and all you heard was show us another sign so we can believe. We have to process what we have seen with our eyes (and heard, tasted, smelled, or touched) in our minds and that leads on into our hearts. When it gets there, we can make a decision to believe or not to believe. Faith in that which is not understood or always seen. Christ is the author and the one who perfects our faith. So God's part in this is a divine mystery to me.

Yes.

Scripture is clear that no one comes to the Father, except the Spirit draw him.  Miracles are still part of life, possibly more in other countries than America.  Just as Jesus said about the sign of Jonah that He would not give another sign, however, rising from the dead is the sign of signs.  I know what He meant.  I have personally experienced miraculous healing in my body, no other explanation and I have also had surgeries for kidney stones and apendix.  I have witnessed God healing a child outright.  I have witnessed God healing adults outright and healing others through medicine and/or surgery.  I have seen God empowering people to persevere through pain and suffering.  The fact that I draw another breath is a miracle of God because I cannot draw another breath without God's power at work.

For America today, it appears that fewer "miracles" are experienced due to such rampant disbelief.  When people will not believe in God by seeing His creation, His science, His biology, the history of Scripture, Jesus, His Word - then why should God produce miracles when much of mankind refuses to believe regardless of the evidence?  However, does God still do miracles to day?  Absolutely YES.  Are signs and wonders enough?  NO...the Holy Spirit convinces and convicts of sin, righteous, and judgment.  GOD gives the measure of faith to believe (Rom. 12)

I know of signs and wonders through some dear missionaries in Africa and Thailand where witch doctors challenged them, yet they did not die and so a whole tribe came to Christ.  Then you have "The End of the Spear" where God used the death of missionaries and the love of their families to lead the murderers of their husbands to Christ.  

Power encounters every time the Holy Spirit's conviction leads to repentant faith in Christ.  I have been part of jail/prison ministry where we have seen mass murderers saved, child abusers saved, drug dealers saved, most with life sentences, yet each one would say, "I know prison is my mission field and I want to be used of God to lead as many to Him as possible."  God's power is mystery, miracle, and reality.

Q2. In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

By striking Bar-Jesus, Elymas “a Jewish sorcerer” blind. Bar-Jesus didn’t want Paul and Barnabas to ruin his status with island ruler. In other word, it’s God’s power over the power of darkness (evil spirit).

Miracles are not enough to produce saving faith on their own.

The preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ and his grace.

Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is. Yes, I was in a three-week revival and saw several people healed. I experience also, the power of the Holy Spirit through me when I touched an individuals,they fell under His  power.  

In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

It is important to recognize and to know that it is the Sovereignty of God that allows for the supernatural of miracles, signs and wonders. It’s His enabling it’s His granting that these things happen. We can humbly ask the Lord, desire for it but we on our own in evangelizing to people can never ever perform signs and wonders. Praising Him in all things with or without miracles is what God expects from His people.(Deut.10:21) He is the One you praise; He is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. Everyday is a miracle. It is all by His grace and mercy. With God nothing is impossible. At the same time there are God’s power encounters where our God can just “whamp” those who persecute others and bring them to their knees just like Saul.

Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? Definitely  not. (John 20:29) “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.Faith that comes by miracles alone is not sufficient, that is why there are so many people who just forget what God has done for them, for starters, Him dying on the cross to every little and great things that He is doing for them. Their immaturity in their faith causes them to miss out on what God is doing daily in their lives.  But for some as they mature, they allow themselves to become transformed by all the perfect storms in their lives because they have been seeking Him. (Matt.7:7) “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

If not, what else is needed? Believe and unshakable faith. The acceleration in ones faith, Believing that God can do it and so can you with Him by your side. Just like Peter’s faith in the Lord to walk on water and believing that you can till the end. Not looking around and wonder if you would fall.

Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is? Most definitely yes.

God uses the power encounters and signs and wonders to show that He really is the creator of the universe and that they should follow Him. Miracles are not enough to produce saving faith on their own. It will get their attention but it is the teaching of the word that will bring them to faith. I have seen signs and wonders in evangelism. So people that were cold to the word warmed up to it when they were taught what it meant and were saved.

1. It is a dangerous thing to be used by God and act like you did it.  God is looking for available people to work through them for people to see the manifestation of  His Glory.  Jesus Christ is our example to follow and it is crucial that we follow the one who died for us to have life and that much more abundantly.  Jesus Christ performed miracles plus there were signs and wonders that follow Jesus.  He did not stand around looking for handshakes or a pat on the back.  Jesus went to a resting place to replenish. I pray for people with this spirit.  God sees and knows everything and He especially knows the intent of the heart.  Just like God listened to Moses plead for God's to forgive the people for their rebellious acts, God listened to Moses and He did not kill them but they still suffered took a 40 day trip that could have been done in 4 days.  God parted the Red Sea and they walked on dry ground, manna (food from heaven, guided them with a pillar of fire and a pillar of cloud, and etc.  They still behaved and did not believe or trust God when the 12 spies went out to check out the Promised Land.  They sided with the 10 spies and not the God who performed miracles, signs and wonders. 

God used Paul and Barnabas to speak boldly and God confirmed it was Him working through Paul and Barnabas performing signs and wonders (Acts 14:3).  The NT God confirms and it is testified by God's signs and miracles plus the gifts of the Holy Spirit (Mark 16:20, Hebrews 2:3-4).  I love this scripture because Jesus tells us in John 5:19 "Very truly I tell you, the Son of God can't  do nothing by himself, he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does (John 10:37-38).  It applies to us we can't evangelize, do miracles, signs, and wonders without God.  We must submit and allow God to work through us.

2. Miracles are not enough to produce saving faith.  If not, what else is needed?  A preacher preaching the word of God. The word can't be preach unless a preacher preaches, and faith comes but by hearing the preached word.

3. I used to be in charge of a prayer group.  I saw a man come in for the first time.  The Holy Spirit manifested mightily and he was touched and he was never the same.  To this day he tells it every where he goes how the power of God touched him.  I saw at my church during a Baptism service how God was pouring His spirit out on all flesh.  Marriages were healed, people delivered from smoking, drinking, dope, people received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and their lives were never the same.  The church was pulling white towels and clothes and it was miracles because it was as if God did like the 2 fishes and 5 loaves of bread.  It was an abundance manifested to ensure every soul that wanted to get baptized got baptized.

Edited by DonzellaMaupin
Had a couple of mis spelled words

In Paphos, an encounter which took place when the sorcerer, false prophet, and Jew named Barjesus who wanted to meet with Paul and Barnabus to hear the word of God was but a sorcerer named Elymas was blinded for attempting to prevent the meeting. When Barjesus, who was deputy of the country saw what happened he believed in the Word of God. Concerning Iconium, the Bible just says that God granted signs and miracle to be done by their hands.

While signs and miracles might be used to get someone’s attention to the power in the word of God, one must also believe that Jesus did what he did and was resurrected from the dead for the forgiveness of sins. We must believe in something before we can have faith in it.

I’m not sure if it would come under the title of evangelism or not, but I have seen thing take place in the midst of a service which led to one accepting Jesus.

God uses power encounters as we see in Paphos,Crete and Iconium to turn the hearts of unbelievers towards Him and believe in Him.

Miracles are just not enough to have saving faith on their own. Firstly you need to accept and believe in Jesus and the miracles that follow only confirm the power of God and increase one's faith.

Yes I have seen signs and wonders with evangelism.The greatest wonder is the transformation of one's heart and character which is followed by healing and deliverance. 

Q2.

Q. In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

A. Paul, by the power of the Holy Spirit resisted the sorcerer's attempt to prevent the Proconsul  from hearing and accepting the message by rebuking him and the sorcerer became blind. As a result of this powerful happening, the proconsul believed the message and message spread.

Q. Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? If not, what else is needed?

A. In addition to miracles/ signs and wonders from/ by the preacher , the power of the Holy Spirit is required to move the individual hearer to come to the point of conviction and acceptance of the message by faith and repentance unto salvation.

Q. Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

A. Most of the signs and wonders I have seen have been from the TV programmes I have watched. I however I believe in them. It is however unfortunate that signs and wonders are not emphasised in some churches these days. I pray that the Lord God Almighty can perform signs and wonders through me.

In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12) and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

God use of power encounters and signs and wonders to demonstrate the truth of the disciples' message.  It is an indicator that  God is present.

Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? If not, what else is needed? Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

Miracles are NOT enough to produce saving faith.  You must listen to the preaching of God's man and accept and believe.  Yes, I have.

Q2. 
Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? 
If not, why do you think that is?

Getting people away from their belief in their gods and putting their faith in the One true God is often very challenging. They had always trusted these gods for their daily survival and are very aware of the presence and power of spirits. A test of their ancestral gods against that of the Christian God is often needed – they need to witness the obvious victory of our Lord. Involved here are power encounters – the power of the true God is tested against the power of Satan. In our example, the power of Jesus and His kingdom, demonstrated His authority over darkness. This resulted in Sergius Paulus, the proconsul, placing his faith in the Lord. Similarly, signs and wonders demonstrate the presence and power of God. They are used to validate the reality of the gospel, and to display the mighty power of the Holy Spirit. On their own they are not enough to produce saving faith. Only faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ can do this. I believe that before creation our Heavenly Father elected certain people to be His children. All that is needed is for them to hear the gospel which will happen. I have never witnessed it personally. With so many false churches starting up in my country and the way they are exploiting innocent people, one has to be very wary. Add to this the so called Christian channels we see on TV, I get the feeling that so called Christianly is a way to get rich quickly. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Paul, by the Holy Spirit sees through the false prophet, calling him a son of the devil and an enemy of all righteousness and by the power of the Spirit  he is made blind and the proconsul then believed, seeing this, and being astonished at the teaching of the Lord.  After speaking boldly in the Lord, and bearing witness to the word of His grace, signs and wonders were done by their hands.

2. & 3.  Miracles help, but then again we need to continue in God's Grace and in His Word and in relationship with Him. He will confirm His Word and make it alive to us and make us strong in Him.  My experience was a troubled marriage and I was ready and open for a miracle.  A friend told me about her testimony and I believed and asked the Lord to come into my life.  He did, and being a personal God, gave me exactly what I needed to keep on believing.

4. The signs and wonders I have seen with evangelism is a changed life. 2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

5. The reason we are not seeing more is that Christians are taken up with the things of the world.  You can pray for someone to be saved, but what gets results in getting out and witnessing for the Lord and telling others about the "Good News".

In Paphos God blinded the sorcerer Bar-Jesus because he tried to turn the proconsul away from the faith. In Iconium God used signs and wonders to bear witness to His word.

No miracles are not enough because as we see in the Gospel accounts many people were only looking for what he could give them not to be saved. They were looking for an earthly king not a heavenly one. They quickly turned on him later. If people's hearts are hardened it will take more than signs, wonders and miracles to get to the. It will take the Holy Spirit working on their hearts. They need to be convicted enough to repent and ask forgiveness. 

I have seen some people in an Apostolic church get healed .

On 8/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In Paphos, while evangelizing to the people and the deputy of the country, Paul confronted the sorcerer who was confronting them, was blinded by the Lord for his false prophecies about them and the Lord. Witnessing this miracle, by the power of the Lord, the deputy became a believer. However, in Iconium, the Lords power was displayed through miracles signs, the people turned against the disciples. Thus the Lords power was displayed before the people.

However, just because these people witnessed the signs and miracles of the Lord it may produce faith in some, it is not always enough to bring people to saving faith in the Lord. It is belief, hearing the word and trusting the Lord for forgiveness of our sins that brings us to a heart felt faith. (answered both questions)

I have not seen anyone healed of a physical disease or handicap, but I have witnessed those who have confessed their belief in Christ for his saving grace to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Why have I not witnessed these signs and wonders? Only on myself have I received a miracle from the Lord. I was once diagnosed with gall stones and was scheduled for surgery. The day before was a Sunday. The elders of the church gathered, laid hands on me and prayed. Next thing I know I was lying on the floor, slainen in the spirit. The next day before surgery, the Dr. took a final x-ray. No stones were present. I was speechless and so was the Dr. He said he had heard of these healing miracles happening before.             

Signs and wonders are indications that God is present. In Paphos, there was a Jewish sorcerer and false prophet named Bar-Jesus, who was an attendant of the proconsul. He was also known as Elymas. He was probably one who used magical healing remedies, such as amulets and incantations, astrology, and general quackery, and by them gains power and access as a member of the proconsul's entourage as court magician. Elymas did not want to allow the apostles -- whom he senses are powerful in the Spirit realm -- to ruin his status with the island's ruler. Paul confronts him directly, "filled with the Holy Spirit," in the presence of the awed proconsul. The sorcerer is struck blind. As a result, the proconsul believes. In Iconium the apostles are bold in their speaking, and God brings significant miracles that demonstrate the truth of their message.

Miracles are not enough to produce saving faith on their own, a person must believe in his heart the Jesus's finished work on the cross and accept Jesus as his Lord and Saviour to produce saving faith.  This conviction is brought by God the Holy Spirit in a persons heart.

Yes I have seen signs and wonders with evangelism.

Signs and wonders are not only indications that God is present but that He is powerful. In Paphos, Crete there was a sorcerer and false prophet named Bar-Jesus or Elymas who was an attendant of the proconsul. He no doubt used things like amulets and spells and other things to gain power and access to the proconsul's entourage as the court magician. Elymas didn't want the apostles in his territory so to speak because then he would lose out and not have access to the proconsul. He knew without a doubt that the apostles had power in the Spirit realm and that would destroy his reputation with the proconsul completely.  Paul chooses to confront him directly while filled with the Holy Spirit in the presence of the proconsul who is struck speechless. The sorcerer is struck blind and needs someone to lead him around by the hand. As a result of this, the proconsul chooses to believe. In Iconium they are bold in their speech and God grants them signs and wonders in return. No because a person be willing to admit that they are sinners and they need to Jesus to save them. Then they need to believe in their hearts that Christ is their Lord and He was raised from the dead you are saved Then when you confess it with your mouth you are saved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Signs and wonders are indications that God is present .Sergius Paulus functioned as the governor of the island. Such leaders often kept private sorcerers. Bar-Jesus realized that if Sergius Paulus believed in Jesus, he would soon be out of a job. Some signs and wonders not from God and are not indicators.The Holy Spirit led Paul to confront Bar-Jesus with his sin. There is a time to be nice and a time to confront. We should ask God to show us the difference and to give us the courage to do what is right

• 3 weeks later...

It is important to study the ministry of Jesus in this regard.   True, he performed many signs and wonders (healing of the sick, raising of the dead etc.)  but He also said of the Pharisees, "Why  does this generation seek a sign?   Truly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation." (Mark 8:12).   Interspersed among the miracles are the teachings of Jesus in the parables, in the Sermon on the Mount etc.   God uses power encounters and signs to grasp the attention of those outside the faith, or to confirm the faith of those wavering within the faith.  But this must be followed up by solid biblical instruction so that the new convert is not simply a seeker after thrills.

Yes, I have seen signs and wonders at evangelical meetings and have gloried in the power of God, provided the evangelist himself is truly committed and aware that he works only by the grace of God, and he is not one of the false evangelists to whom this is simply a money-making exercise to dupe the gullible.   I have also rejoiced in many answers to prayer that have come about through the quiet commitment of those who belong to a prayer group and lift up those in need every day.

• 2 years later...

In evangelizing people, how does God use power encounters (in Paphos, Crete, Acts 13:6-12)

The proconsul, Sergius Paulus, was interested in what Paul and Barnabas were saying. The sorcerer, Bar-Jesus, tried to intefere and to keep him from accepting the faith. Paul, controlled by the Holy Spirit stopped him and declared him blind for a time. The proconsul believed. 

and signs and wonders (Acts 14:3 in Iconium)?

They continued to bear testimony to the Word of His grace and signs and wonders were performed. 

Faith in our Saviour is needed

Have you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

Yes, I have experienced miracles. 

• 1 year later...

Since plenty of people have been evangelized and brought to a saving faith in Christ without supernatural signs, wonders and 'power encounters,' this begs the question, why were these supernatural events necessary in some places and cases, but not others. I don't have an answer to this question, but it seems that in some situations, an extra assertion of God's power and glory was needed. 

Are miracles enough to produce saving faith on their own? If not, what else is needed?

Westerners tend to explain away miracles, claiming they were natural flukes or somehow explainable scientifically. To many secular people, a seeming miracle is merely an event waiting for a scientific explanation! So, a miracle to a person determined to explain/deny it, is not enough to produce saving faith.

Two things are needed. First, the Spirit must incline or tenderize a secular person before he/she is able to accept Christ. Without such an the intervention of the Spirit, no one would be saved. We only respond to His calling, though it feels as if we're initiating. The role of miracles is to help us respond correctly, that it, to see Christ as savior. 

Secondly, a secular person has to know what he is believing. For this, God sends messengers with the news (words). Most of us need explanatory words. These come from the evangelists ... we are all evangelists. That's our primary calling.

ave you seen signs and wonders with evangelism? If not, why do you think that is?

Every working of God on earth is a miracle. Yet some of these workings are ordinary, subtle miracles as juxtaposed to His extraordinary shocking ones. Signs and wonders are shocking by definition.

It is far more difficult to believe a subtle miracle than a shocking one. It's far easier to assert that God miraculously intervened in human history when the Red Sea parts or someone's leg is lengthened. When sufferings in life are alleviated, however, we tend not to call that a miracle. We may be grateful, but don't see God's intervention as miraculous.

Regarding evangelism: I believe every act of His saving power is a miracle and every person who comes to know him as savior are living, walking miracles. But Pastor Ralph's quesiton specifically deals with a particular kind of miracle, one that is dramatic and unexplainable scientifically. I have not seen this sort of miracle. 

If not, why do you think that is?

Yesterday, I was listening to an old Derek Prince sermon on the Internet. He said something that's still rattling around my head: God's power, he said, starts at the point where our human abilities end. Assuming this is correct, in the West, the development of scientific achievements and explanations have made it difficult for us to see God in the world. We have been hardened against the miraculous. We do not see what we don't believe exists. Our medical and other scientific abilities have limited God. 

My pray to see God at work as much as possible, to discern his "finger" even in events I no longer regard as miraculous.

x