JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Healthy Willingness to Die

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1). This demonstrates that we are following Christ's footsteps.

2). We are considered unholy and a sinner.

3). If we suffer according to the will of God commit our souls to him in doing good, God is glorified.

Because if we don't willingly die for Christ, we're being selfish not selfless. Selfishness is not the message of His gospel. When we don't take up our cross daily, I believe we're rejecting obedience to God's will. We won't grow and we'll continually be on milk and possibly lose our salvation if we resist Him long enough. If we commit ourselves, that means we are willing to live in obedience to His will. Although the flesh is weak and the spirit is willing we must overcome the flesh and die to it. It's hard. I know I give in to the flesh. I'm not as obedient as I would like to think I am. I pray daily for strength to die to sin.

WILINGNESS IS AT THE BEGINNING

OF EVERYTHING.

I AM A BABE AND MUST LIVE MOMENT

BY MOMENT BY BEEN WILLING FOR THIS

BRIEF MOMENT TO DIE TO SIN I AM

WALKING IN THE LIGHT OF THE SPIRIT

I AM WILLING TO PICK UP MY CROSS

AND FOLLOW MY TEACHER

WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT PERSECUTION

IT JUST CAME TO ME THAT PERSECUTION DOES

NO COME FROM OTHER PEOPLE, IT COMES

FROM SATAN, THE MASTER OF CONFUSION

AND HIM IS THE ONE THAT PERSECUTES ME

EVERY MOMENT AND WAITS PATIENTLY FOR

ME TO BE DISTRACTED TO ATTACK ME

I HAVE ONLY ONE DEFENSE AGAINST HIM

AND THAT IS TO BE WILLING TO PICK UP

MY CROSS AND WALK, KEEP MY EYES UP

TO THE SKY AND SEE JESUS SITING AT THE

RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER.

IT IS ESENTIAL TO A CHRISTIAN TO BE WILLING

TO GO TO ANY LENGTH TO VICTORY OVER SIN

HERE WE ARE AT THE TURNING POINT

WHAT IS IT GOING TO BE?

SO WE PICK UP OUR CROSS

OR WE GO TO THE END

LIVING INSANE?

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

We are called to keep our eyes on Jesus and follow where he leads. If the people persecuted Jesus, even killing him, how can we expect to escape persecution and possibly death if we profess Him as Lord? Why should we consider it surprising that evil should happen to us? Satan delights to persecute Christians--possibly cause them to deny Christ! But, "He that is in us is greater than he that is in the world!" God can and will use the worst satan can cause to happen to bring glory to God and bring us closer to Him--and often by the death of one of His saints, others are brought to believe in the Lord and give their lives to Him. For instance, the deaths of the five missionaries to the Auca indians in South America.

When we aren't willing to put our lives on the line, we hold back from following Jesus all the way. After all, even though it caused Jesus to sweat blood, He obeyed God and suffered horribly in order to save us! Is our life more "important" than His--that we would refuse to lay it on the altar for His use? What does it have to do with committing ourselves to a faithful creator? If He allows it, nothing but good can come from it! Sure, I would cringe from suffering and death--and that's okay. It is the obedience despite the fear that counts! :(

1. Recently I listened to a man speaking who was a missionary in Bogota Columbia. Someone said to him "you could be killed!" He replied, "they cannot kill me, I am already dead". This axiom is true on so many levels. We seem to be pretty eager to proclaim how we would die for our faith and endure every ghastly torture. The sentiment is admirable. However we find it difficult to give up various lusts and creature comforts and desires. I short we are not willing to die in the area that is most important, the carnal man. There are lots of people willing to be a martyr for their cause, but this certainly does not make them more spiritual or holy. Before we think we will "give [our bodies] to be burned" 1Cor 13:3 we should ask am I willing to die to my pride and talk to my neighbour or co-worker about Christ? Am I willing to die to my self-righteousness and embrace the homosexual, the hooker, the drug addict? Am I willing to die to my greed and covetousness and give my time, my comfort, my money to the poor and to further the kingdom of God? Why would martyrdom be so easy to me when I can't be faithful in these things?

2a&b Jesus set the example for us resisting sin unto blood. Jesus is our forerunner Heb 6:20 becoming the way for us to follow. Even though He was God incarnate He did not seek to vindicate, extricate or defend Himself in any way. He instead entrusted Himself to God to allow Him to complete that which He was commissioned to do. His face was "set like flint" upon the purpose God had for Him and He never took His eyes off this. His cross and the sufferings which He bore in His struggle against sin lead to His death. Even so He committed His cause to God believing He would be raised.

Thus as I commit myself to my faithful Creator I know that the trials, the tests, the persecutions are in His keeping, serving to further His purpose in and through me even though I may not be able to see nor understand. Nothing enters my life but that my faithful Father allows it. I will embrace it and will look for His hand in it. I will be thankful that I am allowed to suffer for Christ for I shall come forth as gold.

JESUS WAS WILLING TO DIE, AND NO ONE HAS BEEN PERSECUTED LIKE HIM. TOOK UP HIS CROSS, DIED TO SELF, AND SO WE HAVE TO DO THE SAME IF WE WANT TO FOLOW HIM. SATAN THOUGHT HE HAD HIM BEAT BUT JESUS WAS VICTORIOUS OUR HIS SUFFERING. HE MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO DO THE SAME. WE HAVE TO DIE TO SELF AND FOLLOW JESUS AT ALL COST. THIS SHOWS THAT WE ARE WILLING TO SHARE IN HIS SUFFERING. COMMITING OURSELVES TO A FAITHFUL CREATOR INDICATES THAT WE TRUST GOD WITH EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIFE. HE IS OUR CREATOR AND HE KNOWS WHATS BEST FOR US. KNOWING ALL THIS, LET US CONTINUE TO OBEY, TRUST HIM AND DO GOOD.

4a.) Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution?

4a.) I think Paul hits right to the heart of this question when he writes: "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20-21

4b.) What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus?

4b.) Jesus warns us that: "Whover acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."Matthew 10:32-33 and "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels."Luke 9:26 'nuff said. B)

4c.) What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

4c.) "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2Corinthians 5:17 Hallelujah!

My opinion is that we had better practise dying to sin on a daily basis. This I cannot do in the flesh. But this My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be happy to enable me to do in The Spirit. Praise God.

Love ...Bro. Al

As true believers, there cannot be ANYTHING that we are not willing to do for our faith. Jesus teaches us that nothing less than a total committment to the Father is acceptable, that we must be willing to lay down our lives if necessary. This is true of our dying to our sin every day as well. We must pick up our cross each and every day and follow Jesus. If the path leads to the Valley of Death, we go, confident that we do Gods will. We must always be ready to give back what has been given to us.

If we are a healthy christian then we know we will not be standing alone during persecution. We are told he that is not for me is against me. I therefore am following my Lord and Savior. If and when I am persecuted (which is sure to come at the end of time) I shall ask the Holy Spirit to substain me to stand and count it pure joy. If Jesus could suffer for me could we not do the same with his love and power to guide us. If we aren't willing to die (this could be to self or sin) then how can we take up the cross daily. We need to be willing to set our face like flint and walk humbly in the ways of the Lord. Yes sometimes it is difficult to take up the cross, but through prayer and pettion to the Lord we will be able to carry the cross. He said no burden is to heavy, but lay it at the feet of Jesus. He cares for us just like we care for our children.

What does this have to do with commiting ourselves to a faithful creator? When we commit our lives to Christ we die to our self and lean on Him. We have become joint heirs to the heavenly Father. We die daily to ourselves, it does not happen all at once. We have many areas in our lives that need to be cleaned daily. The songs that comes to mind at this time is "Take all your cares to the Altar" and "Jesus Paid it All". I have been blessed when I struggle the Holy Spirit gives me a song in my mind and heart. I sing and rejoice in that knowledge.

MAY THIS BE A BLESSING TO ALL WHO READ IT TODAY OR TOMORROW!

People need to see that we mean what we say about Jesus - some may be won for Him. Most are scared to die and are amazed that we put our needs aside for them or for Jesus. They respond to this kind of loving.

If we are not committed to the cost of loving, then we don't know Jesus very well at all, we are ineffective in witness and probably bringing shame on Jesus if others notice at all that we profess Jesus. Others will see that our faith is unimportant to us, so it will become unimportant in their eyes too. No inspiration!

If our commitment to Jesus is strong, daily, doesn't submit to persecution and delivers love in all directions, we will stand as a testimony of new birth and resurrection. People will notice, ask questions, poke fun, be converted etc - they WILL REACT! They will be confronted with Truth, Righteousness (we are the righteousness of God), Love, and things which are missing from their lives. They will have to account for what they"see".

My willingness to die for what I believe shows me that I am on the right road. Perhaps it will also mean something to someone else some day. To have conviction about something, and to not be 'wishey- washey' this is a gift from God!

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution?

We are told to keep our eyes on Jesus, and follow Him. If he was willing to suffer and die for me, how can I expect to do any less for Him. We have to remember that non-Christians are watching us; we have to be effective witnesses so that we might encourage someone else to follow Him.

What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus?

If we aren

Jesus Christ's death on the cross was out of loving sacrifice of the Father God. That is, Christianity started with love and sacrifice. Naturally, we, as Christians, are supposed to sacrifice our all, take up the cross and follow the Lord. If we are not ready to take up the cross and die on it, then we are not really loving the Lord to follow Him, without questioning. :rolleyes: Spiritual health depends upon the seed dying and sprouting life. When we die for self and spring to life for others, grow up and bear fruits, that's a healthy sign of a Christian. If we don't die for self, then there is no question of fruit bearing and our lives are lived for selfish purposes. Nobody is benifited by our lives. What a pitiful state that is! May that be far from all of us Christians!! Commitment leads to creation. When we commit ourselves to be dynamic Christians, then surely there will be plenty of new Christians springing out of our lives as a result. That is creation of a new generation. We plant the seed and the Faithful Creator creates a new generation to spread His message of love and sacrifice.

When we are willing to die, during persecution; there is a peace. We know that if we are to die, we will go up to heavon. A much better place.

When we aren't willing to die, there is fear when persecution comes. At all times there should be no worldly fear to pick up the cross. It should be an honor.

When we pick up our cross, we are following Jesus' example. We are obeying His commandment. To pick up our cross and follow Him daily.

Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution.

Because it shows that we are dependent on Christ for our strength, and if He does not deliver us from the persecution, then He will go with us through it.

What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23)

and follow Jesus?

We are telling the world that we don't have enough faith in Christ to believe that He will take care of us.

What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

If we are committed to God, then we must be committed to Him in all areas of our life; we cannot pick and choose.

As far as pertaining to my physical death,will it be to natural causes, or bodily harm where my life is taken by someone or even suffering death that missionaries sometimes go through.We do not know that time and when it is to come upon us.I pray I am ready for what ever takes me out of this world.I dont feel we should worry about how we are going to die.I must put my trust in God, that know matter how it happens I am ready to go to be with my Lord and Savior.If we suffer in sickness from health problems or die in an airplane crash or in doing missionary work, we must be in a state of mind knowing God will see us through the time or hour of our death.We all know what is waiting on the other side."Jesus" will take our hand and lead us into His kingdom forever.Amen

IT SHOWS THAT WE HAVE THE FEAR OF THE LORD AND ARE CLEAR-MINDED & SELF CONTROLLED DOING THE WILL OF THE FATHER. WE MUST MAKE THE CHOICE TO DENY OURSELVES OR LIVE FOR OUR OWN SELFISH DESIRES. TO RENOUNCE OUR OWN WAYS AND LIVE IN FELLOWSHIP WITH JESUS, BASING OUR LIVES ON THE TEACHINGS OF HIS WORD, IS TO FINDTRUE LIFE AND JOY, HERE AND HEREAFTER.

LUKE 9:26 " IF ANYONE IS ASHAMED OF ME AND MY WORDS, THE SON OF MAN WILL BE ASHAMED OF HIM WHEN HE COMES IN HIS GLORY AND IN THE GLORY OF THE FATHER AND OF HOLY ANGELS".

:huh: The world system and standards are opposite to the teachings of Jesus Christ, whom we whole heartedly serve and follow. We are subject to persecution because of our firm convictions and committment to Jesus Christ and sometimes even to the extent of being killed. We, because of our love for Christ , are prepared to lay down our life for Him as he has already gave His life for us. Our God has alway has been faithful to His believers and we completely put our trust in Him

Jesus was willing to suffer and die for us so we should be willing to do the same for Him. Being willing doesn't necessarily mean one is not afraid to die.

During 9-11 many firemen admitted to being afraid but they were willing to risk their lives to go into what was left of the towers to rescue any survivors.

The Islamic suicide bombers in Israel should also be a motivation to us. These people are willing to sacriface their lives for something that is a false belief system. The moslem pilots who flew the planes into the twin towers and the pentagon did so believing allah would greatly reward them in paradise. If moslems are so willing to give up their lives for a false god then we should be willing to die for the one and only True God.

If you aren't willing to take up your cross daily and follow Jesus,then we have to question if you are really saved or not. If you aren't willing to die for Jesus then you aren't really a true follower. There are many people who get hooked into the prosperity gospel. However,as soon as they have to start suffering for Christ,they go back to their old sinful ways.

God is glorified thru our suffering. If we prove to unbelievers that we are willing to die for Christ, it brings glory and honor to God. :)

It is the way to work on our belief -- to follow Jesus and further his work. We are not doing the work set out for us if we are not willing to die if need be. We have to commit ourself to His way. In our own community we are now faced with the the future of our local church and pastoral charge. Financially we are struggling, but love and mercy abounds. Being chair of the church council, remarks about how we are working on facing the problem will be a form of persecution for severaql of us. However, with the love and caring of our Lord, we know the work of the Lord will continue in our community. Maybe it won't be in the same church building that we will be worshipping, Maybe it will mean having a clergy person on a part time basis, Maybe the Laity are going to play a more important role in the ministry-- But by our committment to a faithful Creator we will continue to trust and love the Lord and work to spread his word.