JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Contextualization

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

3a: Rather than relying on Scripture which is meaningless for non-Jews, Paul keys into God's goodness to the Lystran's in permitting them to walk in their own ways since they didn't have a revelation of God. Paul also reminds them of God sending them rains from Heaven, fruitful seasons, satisfying their hearts with nourishment and happiness, then tells them about their need for the Savior, Jesus.

b. In Athens, Paul uses the demonstration of power in dealing with the demon possessed slave girl who claimed to have the ability to tell the future and after many days of her annoying Paul He stopped and commanded the demonic spirit to come out of her! This caused a furor with her "handlers" who lost their income, and Paul and Silas were dragged before the authorities, which caused them to be attacked by the crowd and they were put in prison as trouble makers. As they sang and worshipped God, an earthquake shook the prisons foundations and the doors were opened. The distraught jailer drew his sword to kill himself thinking they had escaped...but they stayed his hand, shared Christ with him and he and his entire household were saved. He then bathed them, dressed their wounds and allowed them to be baptized...fed them food and told them they were free to go....then the magistrates came to tell them officially they were released, but Paul seized on his Roman citizenship and the unauthorized beating with no trial, and demanded the authorities come and personally accompany them out....then went to the house of Lydia, where they consoled and encouraged their believing brethren .

c. Paul seized on the common ground of them believing in gods....then showed them in scripture and with power that Jesus is God and Savior.

d. Common ground in my area, which is not only pagan, but anti-Christ (California), is to simply prayerfully present the Gospel, by first sharing how He has miraculously delivered me from premature death in a serious rollover car accident, and from the spirit of death and suicide from growing up in violence and death threats from parents. (2 of my brothers have committed suicide). I share about the transforming love, power and grace of Jesus who is my Lord and Savior, and that my life is now His and one of Joy and freedom. I often ask if I may pray with them about whatever is going on in their lives. I've never been  told no. (If there is time, I share how my back injury from the car wreck was miraculously healed, through a word of Knowledge over T.V.  while watching the 700 club. Ben Kinchlow was interviewing Demos Shakarian, Pres. of Full Gospel Businessmen, who suddenly turned to the camera and said "There is a lady watching who is being healed right now...you have a back injury....actually it's your low back/pelvic area, injured in a car accident. Stand up and do what you have been unable to do!" I had been lying on the couch crying from pain...when he spoke about the healing, I heard clicking noises in my back and the pain left. I stood up and touched the floor and twisted...no pain. I ran to the phone and called the number on the screen and told them I was the lady who was just healed....Our God is so amazing! 

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? 

In Acts 14:16-17 as the Holy Spirit lead Paul, he shared spiritual food from the shelf in which the non-regenerated listener could reach. Those from the nations perhaps did not have an in-depth knowledge or understanding of the Holy Scriptures regarding the Anointed One/the Messiah/Christ as Lord and Savior; so Paul preached/spoke/presented truths that were self-evident to all and led those having ears to hear applicable biblical truths. Paul did not present parables, instead he appealed to natural revelation, to the things that even the non-regenerated individual could understand by looking at the world around them. 

Similarly, for us today if we were witnessing to someone needing the basic necessities, it would not be advantageous to only provide Spiritual/Biblical concepts; it would serve best if we attend to the natural and add the Spiritual as the Lord leads.

In Acts 17:16-34 Paul presented God to Grecians the philosophers (Epicureans / Stoics), in a way they could comprehend; (nature or sometimes called “natural theology” {the sun, stars and moon all are amazing / mysterious} so much about them is known yet there is still the unknown, and there is something divine behind the function and existence of the sun, moon and stars).

Paul could have shared Scripture, (Isaiah 40:28; 42:5; 45:12), but it would not have had the same inquisitive impact; they were not keen to Scripture according to the Hebrews; they felt the knowledge they had/knew was superior, they were philosophers.

Paul’s presentation begins with the general revelation visible in creation itself, he cites examples and writings that are accepted by Greek philosophers; shares they cannot deny Gods’ existence (Romans 1:19-22), and that they can be saved through the Last Adam.

Paul begins his presentation of the Gospel by appealing to the natural revelation and to certain true statements of the Athenian poets. He has made from one blood: God sovereignly created one man, Adam. As Adam’s descendants multiplied and formed the nations, it was God who designed mankind’s course.  God place within mankind a yearning to worship and seek Him. The Paul moves to the Last Adam and Christ resurrection and the resurrection of the dead. Just as the Sadducees did not believe, many of the Grecians did not believe; but some did.

What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? 

The common ground that Paul builds upon, he builds from what they knew, from what they could relate to pointing them to the Gospel.

How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

As I meet people I strive to witness as Christ did, not necessarily using parable; but I attempt to meet people where they are and move forward as the Spirit guides/leads. John 4 (the woman at the well) witnessing moment differed from Luke 18:18-27 (the young ruler).

The common ground in my particular are depends on the person I encounter, as Christ leads me I share. It is often via acts of service, my testimony as it relates to His testimony. It changes based on the persons need as I meet them. 

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues?

Paul’s presentation to pagans in Lystra and Athens was different from his typical message to the Jews in the Synagogues. The pagans had little  knowledge of God or Jesus, except  in (Romans 1:19-20 and Romans 2:6-16). However, God tolerated their past ignorance, but now He demands men to repent as stated in Acts 17:30. Paul preached truths that were self-evident by using common ground with them to biblical truth. Paul’s presentation in the synagogues was to the Jews, they knew about God but didn’t know that Jesus was the Messiah they had been looking for.

He builds on what that already knew, and how he could relate to them, such as the unknown god. and other elements in their culture that can relate to the gospel.

How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

It will depend on what culture, country and individuals knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues?

When presenting the gospel to the pagans Paul talks about the Creator the living God who created everything in contrast to worthless idols. He preaches repentance, the forgiveness of God and the goodness of God. He reasons with them as to why they make man and idols gods, because these idols cannot talk back. He would have asked them, do these idols know your heart as the one true God does? Do they talk back to you as God does? He asked them to compare the non-living idols to the one true living God. The God who created the heaven, earth and the sea and everything that is in it. He lets them know that everything that they have done so far, He allowed them and He had not forced them but now He waits to give them His testimony and calling them to repentance.

But when preaching in the synagogues Paul talks about the Old Testament and the Hebrew history. He talks about their ancestors rescue from Egypt. He talks about Jesus who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God. He also preaches of John the Baptist, the rejection, crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ, forgiveness and grace and to beware of rejecting Christ, scoffing and unbelief.

What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? When presenting the gospel to the pagans Paul looks for common grounds such as elements in the culture that they can relate to. He makes them understand the monotheism and invisible God. He talks about a one true living God who not an idol created by man.  God wants them to repent from idol worship. He brings their attention to the many objects of worship they and the many altars to the unknown god they have .He introduces them to a God who forgives and a God who is good.

How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?By getting to know the people first, understanding and also adapting to their culture of the particular area. I come a from multi -racial nation with diverse cultures, traditions and beliefs. My husband and I have always connected with our neighbours and friends at work. God has always been with us as He leads us to the people in small and big ways, we solely rely on Him. To have a relationship with them through friendship and then affirming the work of Jesus and telling about God’s power that brings Salvation.

Paul's message of the Gospel is the same to the Jews and the pagans but it certainly differs the way he presents to them.  To the pagans who follow pagan gods and worship idols he brings about a message about the living God who is our Creator and emphasises on His goodness and kindness towards them.And therefore they must repent and accept the one true living God.

To the Jews who already know the Scriptures he establishes a commo ground between them and Jesus the descendant of David

In both the cases,Paul points them to Jesus

The common ground Paul builds with pagan audiences is speaking about God .The pagans also know there is a God but do not know Him and have their own gods. Paul speaks about God whom they can relate to and shows them their idols are not true. 

In my own area or my circle of influence I can contextualize the Gospel by understanding the audience, their belief system,their knowledge about God and then present the Gospel in the way they will understand or having a common ground. We must truly depend on the Spirit of God to preach the message of the Gospel and reach out in a fitting manner. I believe when we truly live our lives well as disciples of Jesus in front of the unbelievers we are already making a difference and an opportunity for them to know about Jesus. Actions speak louder than words. People will believe in the Gospel of Jesus when we live a life worthy of the Gospel. 

Since the people in Lystra and Athens didn’t know anything about God then they had to start by showing them that it was God that created them. In the synagogues they already knew about God and they could start from what they knew and go from there. The common ground that Paul built for the pagan audiences was to start talking about the statues that they had and establish a communicating there. We will need to the same as Paul and contextualize the gospel to the person that we are taking to.

Paul spoke to them as children of God but not God's chosen people or a people who had a long heritage with God, as in the OT. And that God was the creator of all things. Also that God doesn't live in man made temples or is He served by human hands. Or is He likened by man in gold or stone images.

That God is calling all to repentance and has fixed a day for judgment of all men through Jesus who He raised from the dead.

You would need to know as Paul did, who you were speaking to; Paul relied on the Holy Spirit to guide Him in all His ministry work. Paul comments on this in these verses, 1 Corinthians 0:22-23 I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel; that I may share in its blessings.

For me, one of the first things is to observe your surroundings and listen.  Starting with people's interest in a complimentary way, earning the right to speak.  God has allowed me to use my testimony in many applications....growing up non-churched, Catholic in name only, moving from MO to S. FL., going through a hurricane, family losing everything...but God using the hurricane disaster to bring our whole family to Christ including my alcoholic dad.  

Most people in our area have been "innoculated" with the gospel and will tell you they are Christians without any outward evidence.  They believe acknowledgement of believing in God is "Christian".  That's why a testimony is so important and God has enabled me to use bits and pieces as the situation directed.  Part of the testimony is being so very thankful that I know that Jesus is with me and in me to enable me to live for God's glory and the blessing of others, all possible because of God's love.  

Playing sports all my life has also helped relate to many who "hate" rules but love the games of football, basketball, and baseball.  There's always great application.  I truly enjoy and I'm inspired by all the thoughtful comments.  Thank you all so very much, gary

Signs and wonders played a big part of presenting the gospel to pagan cultures

Paul’s messages given to the synagogues were based much on prophecy which had come true and brought Paul to where he was, but knowing it would be futile to use a scripture based theme for non-believers, and people who had never been exposed to the word and would never be able to make any sense of it, a different approach was required.

In Lystra, a miracle was performed where a man who had been born crippled was given the ability to walk. The people thought the gods had come down amongst them. They were even going to sacrifice to them but were stopped and had it explained to them that it was God from Heaven who had performed the miracles and not the idyllic things they had been worshipping, that in the past God was patient with them, but the 70 weeks of Daniel’s prophecy being completed the connection between the gentiles and God was being made.

In Athens, where the temple to the unknown god was, Paul used this as a vantage point. It seems that some philosophers encountered him when talking about Christ, because they had never heard of him. Paul informed them that he looked upon them as superstitious as they even worshipped and “unknown god”, while it was god, whose throne is in heaven, not living in a temple made of human hands that made everything. When Paul talked about the resurrection some mocked him but there were others who desired to talk to him again regarding the matter.

California, where I’m currently living appears to have pagan gods and temples everywhere. I stopped by a homeless man to talk to him about Jesus and his reply was simply “He’s not here.” He would not talk to me. Perhaps he had heard too many times the way over used ice breakers used by many of the “street evangelist” who need to be a bit more educated about getting people converted to following Christ rather that just trying to build the population of “their” church. This is a hard question all in all and one must completely trust the Holy Spirit for the words. I have found that gaining someone’s trust helps and when they find out what I believe, and why, many become inquisitive. In another country it could be a completely different situation. The best things to do is be praying always and trusting God to bring you in contact with those you, or perhaps someone you never even knew, prayed for. Is it risky? It can be. But, it is what it is, and us being us, we need to do what we do without giving thought to how the situation can end up. It didn’t always end under ideal conditions for Paul, other apostles, or OT prophets.

Q3.

Q. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

A, Paul's presentation of the gospel to the pagan is different from his message to the Jews and God fearers as the common ground for both differs.

To pagans he told them that the God of heaven and earth is living and Creator while their idols are dead. The pagans thus have to turn to the Creator and repent for salvation as idols can not save them.

I need to also and always find common ground as basis for effective evangelism wherever the gospel is preached.

Q3. 
How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? 

In preaching in synagogues, he knows they believe in the God of Abraham and in the Scriptures, but in this area, the pagans believed in a multitude of gods; so Paul had to get through to them that there is only One true God. In seeking common ground, he therefore preaches to the pagans about the Creator. He teaches them about a Living God who is active in creation and in their lives, in comparison to their idols of wood and iron, which are worthless. 
Living in a Third World country one may have to rely, to a certain extent, on signs and wonders. Where I live there is a strong belief in ancestor worship. They believe in our Lord Jesus but at the same time they have this strong belief that the spirits of their ancestors live on in the natural world and are able to influence the futures and fortunes of living relatives – believing that these spirits act as mediators between the them and the Creator. So they pray to them, and make offerings to satisfy them in the hope of gaining their favour. Seeking common ground, yes there is a mediator between God and man, but it is only our Lord Jesus Christ, as God’s Son, that can fill this role. We find that Satan has always sought to replace God, and he uses lies about worshipping other gods and even ancestors to try to lead people away from the truth of God’s existence. Ultimately, we have to proclaim the gospel and then rely on our Lord to summon the people to Himself in such a way that they respond by putting their trust in Jesus Christ. Unless the Holy Spirit works in people’s hearts there will be no genuine saving response. Jesus Himself said "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him" (John 6:44). 

How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences?

Paul is looking for common ground with them.  The cross is not mentioned.  Paul is trying to get them to understand monotheism and that God is invisible.

We must understand the basic gospel well, so that our cultural adaptations of it are accurate and essentially complete. We need to be careful not to water down the gospel by leaving out essential elements by the time we've won people to Christ and discipled them.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Paul finds common ground with both. 

2. With the pagans, He doesn't talk about the cross, He presents to them that there is Living God and idols are worthless, God is Creator of all things, He is invisible, He has provided what we need and is merciful. In the synagogues he points to history of Israelites, and speaks of the Messiah and His coming out of the lineage of David and that the Messiah is Jesus whom they crucified and is raised from the dead.

3. Getting to know the person and find out what their background is and what they know about God and the Bible. You may feel comfortable if you are a  senior,  to minister to  other seniors or people you own age.  Most of all,  know your Bible, know scripture, so that the Holy Spirit can bring a scripture or scriptures to your remembrance when  you need them.

000p09Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

Paul's gospel presentation in Lystra warns them to turn from their worthless idols to the one true God who created everything around them. He says that God allowed people to go their own way before but now He wants them to come to Him. He has proven His goodness to them by sending rain for their crops and giving them plenty to eat.

In Athens Paul gets their attention by acknowledging that they are looking for someone or something to worship. He points them to the unknown god they never heard of before; but they have set up a place for.  Because they love to spend their time talking about religion or manmade gods. He tells them that this unknown god is the Creator of the earth and all that is on it. That He doesn't need anyone yet He longs to reach out and find us and come to know us. That they were all created by God and He is never far away.Before He ignored what men were doing but now He wants man to repent and that everyone will be resurrected in the end and judged. Jesus, God's own son was raised from the dead and He is proof it will happen.

I think I will need to talk about the 10 Commandments  and how no one can keep them all. That we are all incapable of doing enough good works to get to heaven. That the only way to get there is through Jesus. That all the good things we can possibly do are nothing but filthy rags in God's eyes.That every thought is known by God and judged and it is nothing but evil. That you need to be cleaned from the inside out. That only when you admit that you are evil and cannot win God's favor and ask Jesus to come into your heart and wah and make you clean again. When you say that you believe He died for all the wrongs you did and confess it before others then you will be saved. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul's gospel presentation of the gospel to the pagans is different from those of the synagogues because pagans have no conception of the true God and know nothing of the scriptures. Whereas, Jews, in the synagogues know scriptures and only need to be lead through prophecies to show that Jesus had fulfilled all these scriptures.

Paul finds a common ground, or examples, by which he can lead pagans to the truth of Christ and his accomplishment on the cross. They would never understand scripture which they would have no conception of.

To contextualize the gospel in my area I would need to bring examples of the culture, economics and beliefs of the people.     

In Athenes, with the Jews,  The Hebrew history is the common ground the gospel has with Judaism.  The captivity in Egypt, the Exodus, the wilderness and entry into Canaan, Samuel and King David and the Messianic promise that a descendant of David will sit upon the throne of David and restore Israel. Paul builds up on this common ground saying Jesus Is the Promised Messiah Descended from David and that Jesus was rejected by the Jewish rulers in Jerusalem who pushed for his execution. Then he proclaims the astounding fact of the resurrection.  The Jews are people of the Book, so Paul supports his declaration of Jesus' resurrection from Messianic passages in Psalm 2:7; Isaiah 55:10; and Psalm 16:10. David died and his body decayed, Paul argues, but God's Holy One (Psalm 16:10), "the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay" (Acts 13:37).

In Lystra Paul looks for common ground with the Gentiles - The Creator. The cross isn't mentioned here. The hearers must first understand monotheism and that God is invisible, or the cross will not make sense. So he tells them:

1. Creator. A living God made everything (verse 15c).
  2. Idols. In contrast, idols are worthless, lifeless objects (verse 15a).
  3. Repentance. Therefore you must turn from, repent of, idol worship (verse 15b).
  4. God's forbearance. In the past he "let all nations go their way." Later, to the Athenians he put it this way: "In the past God overlooked such ignorance" (Acts 17:30a), even though all were still under sin (Romans 1:18-24). I think he is saying that God's focus then was on his own special people, the Jews. Now he is calling the Gentiles to repentance.
  5. God's goodness. God shows you his goodness with (1) rain, (2) crops, (3) food, and (4) joy.

To be faithful, we must teach the full gospel, not just those things easiest to understand and accept. But we start with the common ground.

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

First of all they differ in the fact there is no background in the OT scriptures like in the synagogues. Also he tells how he and Barnabas were like them when it came to idols and worshipping them. Paul explains to them that there is 

Notice carefully this message that is intended for pagans. Paul looks for common ground with them -- the Creator. The cross isn't mentioned here. The hearers must first understand monotheism and that God is invisible, or the cross will not make sense. So he tells them:

• Creator. A living God made everything (verse 15c).
  • Idols. In contrast, idols are worthless, lifeless objects (verse 15a).
  • Repentance. Therefore you must turn from, repent of, idol worship (verse 15b).
  • God's forbearance. In the past he "let all nations go their way." Later, to the Athenians he put it this way: "In the past God overlooked such ignorance" (Acts 17:30a), even though all were still under sin (Romans 1:18-24). I think he is saying that God's focus then was on his own special people, the Jews. Now he is calling the Gentiles to repentance.
  • God's goodness. God shows you his goodness with (1) rain, (2) crops, (3) food, and (4) joy.
  • We see a similar approach when Paul speaks with the Athenians in the Areopagus (Acts 17:16-34), which we'll discuss further in Lesson 6.1. Here is Paul's message to the Athenians.
  • Unknown god. I see you are very religious (verse 22), a compliment to establish common ground. I'll tell you about the "unknown god" to whom you have an idol (verse 23) -- again, establishing common ground.
  • Creator. This God made heaven and earth, and made you. He doesn't need anything from us; rather he hopes we'll reach out and find him (verses 24-27a). You are God's offspring and he is close by each of us (verses 27b-28a).
  • Living God. God is not a stone idol (verse 27b).
  • God's forbearance. God overlooked such ignorance in the past, but now he calls all to repent (verses 30-31).
  • Judgment. All will be judged justly by the One whom God appoints:  Jesus (verses 31a, 18).
  • Resurrection as proof. To prove this, he raised Jesus from the dead (verses 31b, 18)

For me I have some background in apologetics that will help me go from one person to another. However I believe the best way is to let the Lord lead me.

• 2 weeks later...

Responding to the people of Lystra, Paul and Barnabas reminded them that God never leaves himself “without a witness.” Rain and good crops, for example, are evidence of his goodness. Later Paul wrote that this evidence in nature leaves people without an excuse for unbelief. 

• 2 years later...

Q3. How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;) and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues? What common ground does Paul build on with pagan audiences? How will you need to contextualize the gospel in your particular area to build on common ground?

In lystra Paul talks about God who never minded about what people did and continued blessings people with food ,rain and joy in their hearts in Athens He complements them being religious and while he was moving he found a place which was given to the unknown God and so he is going to explain to them that God they don't know.

Paul builds on what is clearly known by the pegans or what they can see with their eyes.

I will have to look around on what is in the area ,at the kinds of people in the area and what is spoken about  the area

• 1 month later...

How do Paul's gospel presentations to pagans in Lystra (Acts 14:16-17;)

and Athens (Acts 17:16-34) differ from his typical message in the synagogues?

To the pagans he spoke about the Creator. A living God who made everything. 

He could point out that idols are worthless. 

It was necessary to repent from idol worship. 

In the past the Jews had been called to repentance now God was calling the Gentiles to repentance also. 

Speak about God's goodness in providing rain, crops, food and also joy. 

In the synagogues he could speak about the promised Messiah and that this was Jesus. That John the Baptist had pointed to Jesus. That Jesus was rejected, crucified and risen from the dead. 

Resurrection was not a strange term to them, it was supported in the Old Testament Scriptures. 

Then he could encourage them that through Jesus comes forgiveness of sins for those who believe in Him. 

The Creator. 

Depends on the person one is speaking to or testifying to. The best is to lean on the Holy Spirit for guidance

• 1 year later...

Most of us contextualize the gospel without thinking about it. It's just instinctual. Perhaps this happens because most of the people to whom we witness are from the same culture. They're our neighbors, family members, workmates, etc. Perhaps this is why missionaries can more effective, at times, than locals -- they have an outsider mentality that consciously contextualizes; they have to think about what they're doing and saying, that is.

Paul had his feet in at least two cultures, maybe three: Jewish, Roman, Greek. He spoke to people from these cultures as someone who, too, was from these cultures ... because he was! Paul was obviously very familiar with the Greek diaspora of his time, and as as Jew, was comfortable among Jews. I am assuming he was familiar with Roman law and customs, as they had been imposed, top-down, on Greek and Jewish societies.

I agree with Irmela above that contextualizing, ultimately, means responding to an individual, not a culture. We contextualize, if that's the right word, to the person we're talking to, leaning on the Holy Spirit for His words and insight, not solely our own.