JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Responsibilities of an Elder

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

Basically all the words have the same meaning. i.e., of taking care of the parish, or pastorate.

But there are subtle differences, although functionwise, they are almost the same.

Elders: Literally old people, advanced in age and experience who could, by their experience in life, look after the sheep (congregation), see that they don't scatter here and there and are in good counsel.

Pastors: Incharge of pastoral care. Tend the sheep. Look after their physical and emotional needs. Provide a cushion for them in times of need. Such kinds of practical needs.

Overseers: More of an administrative job. Looking after their well being, seeing that they don't lack anything and seeing to it that they are in good hands all the time.

Being a leader in the church, this is all the more exciting to know what responsibililty I hold other than our Pastor. The Pastor cannot look after the spiritual needs of all his congregation, if it is a large one. Our congregation is of 250-300 families. Its not possible for the pastor to care for all of them. That's why leaders like me extend a helping hand to him in caring for the spiritual and physical needs of the congregation. Its a blessed opportunity to be of service in this wonderful way. I prasie God for His leading. All in all, the three phrases are united in leaders like me in our church. This study has really brought out our responsibilities to the fore. Thank you, dear brother, for this wonderful study.

To me it all has the same meaning. feeding the word of God to the people. That is what the Pastor, the Elder does and the Overseers. Or anyone else that has been called by God.

The responsibilites of the Elders,Pastors and Overseers are alike in many ways as they all are told to feed, nuture, lead, watchover and be an example to the flock. The Elder of the church is usually a mature christian and elderly in age not neccessarily to old to function in their role as a leader. The Pastor is the instructor and guidiance part of the spiritual life. Overseer is to give attention to and accept responsibilites for the care of the leaders of the church as well as the members. These are all huge responsibilites for members to hold.

To be able to hold and do these duties without becoming puffed up is sometimes hard for mere individuals to carry out. That is one of the important roles of picking or selecting more mature chrisitans instead of new christians. New babes in the Lord could tend to become haughty and would be ineffective. It doesn't work to well in any setting where a leader doesn't use humility while leading, teaching or tending to the needs of the church. All leaders in the church body need to keep in mind that they are doing the work of the Lord and they of themselves would not be able to handle such roles if it were not for his power and strength. When a leader thinks he is indispensible then there is a problem. He has let his leadership become a hinderance in the coming together of the body of Christ. He or she has become to puffed up with self and not for the purpose for which they were called.

What stands out to me is that we are all elders, shephers, and overseers in the body of Christ. We may not have the title, but in the scriptures we are told to spread the word, mininster to the sick, elderly and to feed the hungry, clothe those in need and give drink to the thirsty. This usually involves most everyone that is able to move about to be working for the good of the Lord. We are all parts of the body of the church and everyone is needed. Let me not be faint nor weary, but move forward doing what the Lord would have me to do and give praise and glory to Him at all times.

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

1. There are a few levels of oversight associated with elders in the Body of Christ. I think sometimes we get hung up in labels and it seems that we have some wrong notions about offices and positions. It is good for us to examine carefully these terms and functions setting aside our preconceived perspectives. a) I learn from the definitions that an elder is responsible to provide nurture, guidance and guardianship to the young in the local body. They are to study sound doctrine and guard against error. They are to be examples to those whom God has placed "around their table". B) The elder is to represent the local body as a whole in agreement with the other elders in the fellowship. Through this they can give guidance as the Holy Spirit moves. c) The elder is responsible to offer leadership in the Body of Christ as a whole. Representatives of the local fellowship in agreement with other elders from local fellowships discerning God's will and maintaining unity and peace in the Body.

2. As I considered these words Matthew 20:26-27 came to mind "But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:" It seemed to me that to be an elder one must be able to "get under" another. We read in Hebrews 7:7 "And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better." The whole idea of "pastoring" is being able to carry the lambs. When we are young we need someone to help us read and understand our Bible, to pray, how to behave and walk with Christ etc. It somehow strikes me improper that someone who should be feeding themselves and walking on their own needs this type of relationship. As adults we submit one to another and exhort, encourage and support one another eye to eye. Hebrews 5:11-6:2 talks about this. In any case if we are to help another we cannot stand above them and issue commands, we must get under them and lift them up. In this we see the greatness of the person.

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"?

I believe that they all have basically the same responsibilities, They should be the Leaders or Shepherds and eager and willing to serve. The leaders of the Church should assume the responsibility of taking care of the needs of their members both spiritually and physically.

The leaders should be like Jesus, taking care of His flock. But the members should also be looking out for those in need. :rolleyes:

From this passage, it appears that "elder" and "overseer" are the same, charged to look out after the flock, to provide supervision and guidance and to serve as an example. The same two terms are used synonymously in Titus chapter 1 where Paul asks Timothy to appoint elders and then refers to them as "overseers" (see also I Timothy chapter 3). A pastor has a specific teaching function "to prepare God's people for works of service (Ephesians 4:11-12, NIV). Major responsibilities that stand out to me are the leading and teaching of the members of the congregation.

What a tremendous responsiblilty. One has to be called and dedicated. One person cannot handle a task as great as this. The pastor, elders and overseers would have to have help. Others leaders would have to step in and lend a helping hand. They deserve all the respect in the world, especially if they are willing and doing it out of love for God. There are times when they are the target of negative talk, but I think this is unfair to them. Try walking in their shoes for a day.

As I considered these words the one thing that stood out with me was the love a leader has for his flock. He care for every aspect of their lives. This reminded me how much Jesus cared for us. There are times when we don't walk according to the word but God still loves us. There are time when we don't treat or have consideration for our pastor but he goes on and still care for the need of the flock.

I pray for our elders, pastors and overseers. May God keep them!

(5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

I look at the pastor as being the undershepherd of the flock, and the elders and overseers as his assistants to provide instruction, protection, and discipline to the members.

All of them, of course, are expected to serve willingly in a compassionate manner and be good examples of Christian behaviour. The leaders (teachers, youth workers, etc.)in the church also should help with any responsibilities and work to maintain the unity of the church.

The one thing that stood out to me in this Scripture is the fact that Peter was not writing to them in a superior tone, but he placed himself equally with the elders. He places the emphasis on service, not on power.

1a.)  (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"?

1a.) One word sums it up.."servant"

1b.) (5:1-2)  What stood out to you as you considered these words?

1b.) Willingness, eagerness to serve the Lord in these positions.

Elders-oversee the flocks well being.

Pastor-sheperd cares for the flock and their needs and assumes spiritual responsibility for them.

Overseer- takes care of and accepts responsibility for their care.

They all have a huge responsibility of taking care of the flock and accepting spiritual responsibility for them, this, accepting responsibility, I did not know this really stood out.

I agree that these are all servants in the church, helping to guide those who want to also serve the Lord. What stands out for me is that no matter how "important" a person thinks he/she is, the thing that is truly important is that we not try to take over God's glory and apply it to ourselves! We are all servants of the Lord God!

Elders are church officers that provide instruction and direction to the other believers.Elders carry a great responsibility in being servants of God .They are expected to be good examples.They are to be respected and looked to in providing and helping believers in selecting other leaderships that are used in there churches,like a New Pastor.They also are spokesman for our churches and represent our churches in meetings that are important to the body of our church.

WE ALL HAVE BEEN SHARING WITH ONE ANOTHER

IN THIS FORUM FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND MANY AT

TIMES YOUR SHARING HAVE MOVED ME FROM INSIDE

I AM PERCEIVING THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO COME

TO ANOTHER END.

MEANS TO ME ONLY A NEW BEGINNING A NEW

DISCOVERY AND BY MEDITATING IN THE QUESTION

IT WAS REVEAL THAT WE WERE TAKEN ALL THE WAY

TO THE BEGINNING OF THE CHURCH

IN A VERY HUMBLE AND SIMPLE WAY PETER APPEALS

TO THE ELDERS, AND MAKES A POINT TO LET THEM

KNOW WHAT THEIR DUTIES ARE AND WHY CARRY THEM

TO THE END. THROUGH WILLINGNESS.

ONE CAN BE AN ELDER AT HOME AND THE FLOCK CAN BE

THE FAMILY.

EVERYTHING STARTS WINT ONE AND THAT ONE IS GOD

SO AN ELDER IS IN CHARGE OF GOD'S FLOCK, LIVING

BY EXAMPLE, HELPING OTHERS TO COME TO GOD IN THE

SAME WAY THAT HE WAS THOUGT TO COME TO GOD

THROUGH HONESTY AND WILLINGNESS.

CERTAINLY THIS IS A WONDERFUL EYE OPENNING

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS FORUM

AND THANK YOU PASTOR RALPH MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

The Elder, Pastor, and Overseer are Sheperds of the flock (congregation) and to watch over the people that he/she are in charge and instruct them in the scared doctrines (teachings) of the Christian religion. What really stood out for me was that they are to care for the poor and mentally challenged. The reason it brought so much attention to me was because most church leaders that are known to me refuses to help or acknowledge the unfortunate. There are some I know of personally refuse to help unless you are a member of their congregation. I was taught and believed that leaders were to help God's children regardless whether they were members or not. I have to admit that this kind of thinking really angers me.

Elders are responsible for the congregation, as in the role of pastoral assistants. I normally think of elders as people advanced in their spiritual walk. As sheep are really dumb animals, the overseers, or shepards, must make good decisions for the flock. The analogy holds in the church. What stood out the most for me was the fact that each of the words are approximate to each other. All indicate a position of responsibility for the well being of the group, and the aspect of accountability the job entails.

Elders, pastors, overseers are all leaders chosen by God to shepherd some of His flock. This means mainly teaching and caring for the flock entrusted to them.

Two things stand out: 1) motivation by being identifed with Peter, a "partaker of the glory" and by the authority of God; 2) awesome responsibility. God has entrusted a portion of His flock to a leader who should willingly shepherd the flock. If the leader willingly shepherds the flock instead of doing it out of compulsion, laziness and indifference should never appear.

That they are shepherds and shepherds were exhorted by Christ to feed and tend the lambs and sheep. That means feed them the word of God and tend to them. Being servents of the truth they should keep His flock from going astray - into sinful lifestyles - basically.

:rolleyes: Their main responsibility is to take care of the group of believers, in their spiritual growth, physical needs and socialogical problems. To achieve this efficiently and properly, the elders need to go to their level, instead of lording over them. Service to the Lord's flock is the motto, without selfishness, and everything for the glory of the Lord and total welfare(spiritual and physical) of the believers in their charge, young and old.

They are to "shepherd" the flock, means that they are to see that all the (real) needs of the flock are met, provision made. The pastor needs to be very aware of each person and their needs which means they must spend some time on each member. Younger lambs (Christians) will need more attention until they get onto solid food.

Paul was encouraging from the point of view of an experienced fellow "shepherd", insisting on integrity in the work, with keen enthusiasm and diligence for it.

THEY HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF CARING FOR BELIEVERS,DISCIPLING THEM,FEEDING THEM WITH THE WORD AND PROTECTING THEM.

THEY ARE ALL DESIGNATED LEADERS IN THE CHURCH AND GIFTS TO THE CHURCH FROM GOD, JUST AS HE GAVE US SPIRITUAL GIFTS TO USE TO GLORIFY THE CHURCH.

Basically I feel these words all basically the same> The pastor or minister would have more academic training and be more versed in the meaning of the Word. Elders and oversees I would see as more lay persons. However, considering these words they all are basically leadership figures that one could look up to , yet feel as if you are of no leeser worth. Humility is one of the most important qualities along with being able to relare to people.

From what I see, the definitions of elder,pastor,and overseer are pretty much interchangeable. Anyway these are people who have been given a spiritual responsibility for God's people who have been placed in their charge.

The words all seem to convey the same basic meaning. Many today like to pride themselves in having a title. It can be a source of pride. But these leaders are to put the sheep as their priority and not themselves. They are doing the work of God and what they are doing is leading gently the flock under the Master Sheperd, Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

What stood out to me in considering the responsibilities of elders, pastors, overseers would have to be the awesome task of teaching the scripture. It is the truth that changes people. In Acts 20:28 it says "Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you guardians, to feed the church of the Lord which He obtained with His own blood." Our leaders are to begin with themselves, to obey the truth which they themselves learn. If our leaders are not obedient to the truth then they have no power. This has really made me look at myself. There are practical applications in these words for everyday life for Christians. We have no power if we do not lead by example. The Lord Jesus operated on that basis. In John 10:37 He says "If I do not the works of my Father, then don't believe me." It made me think, can I say these words to the children on Wednesday night. Can I say this to other Christians? Can I say this to the lost world? Is what I am doing in line with what I teach?