JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Pressures

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul’s “overwhelming pressure” was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? How much can be attributed to the “normal” struggles of life? Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

I believe that a lot of it dealt with spiritual warfare but some of it could have been normal life struggles as well. I would have to say about half and half for them. I believe intercessory prayer is so important for leaders and ourselves because it stops the powers of darkness from overwhelming us. 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul’s “overwhelming pressure” was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? How much can be attributed to the “normal” struggles of life? Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

1. Life is filled with pressure every day, and in Paul's day ordinary life sounds unbelievably difficult, but because of what God tasked him with, I think the majority must have been spiritual opposition. Demons followed him everywhere he went as did angry Jews who refused to believe the Gospel and wanted him to be removed....as he had done previous to his conversion.

2. Leaders have "targets on their backs" for sure. Satan's strategy is to "strike the leader and the sheep will scatter."  When the leader "fails or falls" the congregation is affected in a negative way, the immature losing faith (which shouldn't be in the leader, but in the Lord) and many will fall away and stop attending church. Years ago I was sharing Christ with a lady  who said "I watched Jim and Tammy Fay Baker every day...sent them money and now that I see what they were about, I want nothing to do with Christianity." That was so very tragic, but illustrates the impact leaders have both for good and for evil.

Also, because leaders have more responsibility and more visibility they need constant prayer covering...they are like lightening rods attracting unwanted opposition. It comes at them all the same and prayer is the difference in whether they stand or fall.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? 

In Matthew 16:23/ Mark 8:33 “Turning and looking at His disciples, Jesus rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind Me, Satan! For you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Satan wasn’t there physically, however Peter was being influenced by Satan.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5/Ephesians 6:12 - For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

It is my belief in a sense all of Paul’s “overwhelming pressure” was due to spiritual warfare.  People’s spirits are influenced by the Holy Spirit’s leading or the Adversary. We choose moment by moment by moment what influence we will follow.  

When we move, live and have our being via the Fruit of the Spirit we are being influenced by the Holy Spirit. 

When our lives manifest the works of the flesh (carnal desires) = Galatians 5:19-21 speaks of the works of the flesh, saying they are "evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these."  When we  pursue immoral characteristics/traits unto manifestation = anger leading to sin; divisiveness leading to dissension or discord instead of godly unity and/or being in accord; etc… we are following the influence of the Adversary. Spiritual warfare (Galatians 5:17-18)

Paul experiences "overwhelming pressure" in Ephesus (2 Corinthians 1:8-9a) as people were being led by the influence of the Adversary.

How much can be attributed to the "normal" struggles of life?

Moment by moment, hour after hour, daily we will face opposition, Moment by moment, hour after hour, daily we will make choices/decisions as we face opposition hence choosing who we will serve; who will allow to minister unto our inner being.

Being a Christian/Believer/of The Way doesn’t prevent one from challenges/opposition/test/trial/tribulation/temptation; being a Christian/Christlike sets the mind state of how the Believer will face the challenges/opposition/test/trial/tribulation/temptation. 

Elijah through God had GREAT faith on Mouth Carmel, when he heard word from the Adversary, (i.e. prince of the power of the air) though Jezebel (those carrying the message), Elijah bearing changed.  If those he stumbled, the measure of faith God gave him was enough for Elijah to hear His voice and begin to walk again.  

I say that to say this although we should always walk in His strength, there are times we will stumble, even so (Jude 1:24) Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

Now unto Him who is able to keep us from continuing to fall/stumble as we are sensitive to His voice even in the midst of stumbling/falling.

Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

Intercessory prayer is EXTREMELY important to ALL Believers, Christ Himself laid the example John 17.

Believers are Brethren – our Spiritual family doing so is an expression of LOVE/Compassion/concern towards others.

Doing so can increases our love for each other, one another, and others. 

Doing so gives us an opportunity to thank and praise God for what He has done, is doing for others.

Doing so demonstrates our desires align with God’s, as we align with His will we give Him glory, we bring Him glory, we give thanks unto Him.

( 2 Corinthians 1:8-9;Ephesians 6:18-20) Whenever the Kingdom of God has a victory,satan nearly always counter attacks. Pauls work is dangerous because of the enemies he creates by turning people from idols and occult to Jesus Christ.Paul was in a spiritual was one. Paul was facing this overwhelming pressure  as a part of his spiritual warfare because he was effective n his work for the Kingdom of God making the spiritual forces go after him resulting in the "overwhelming pressure".

Some normal struggles in life cannot be because of spiritual warfare. They are struggles as you live your day to day life. The struggles which result from spiritual warfare are not normal struggles.

Jesus has emphasized to us the power of prayer through His own life. Jesus woke up very early and withdrew himself to lonely places to pray and drew strength and victory through everyday prayer. He prayed before everything and even encouraged us to pray  for ourselves and for others according to the will of God and we will be heard. If Jesus our Master,prayed and taught us to pray we see how important intercessory prayer is for our leaders and one another so that they are strengthened and helped through God. 

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think?

Paul’s “overwhelming pressure” in the scripture seem to point to spiritual warfare. Satan will fight back when the Gospel goes forth and soul are turning away from him.

In the case of Paul, I believe there were some “normal” life struggles” but mostly, it’s due to his call. Paul ‘s life consisted of what Christ said, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.” Luke 9:23-24)

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2  for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,1Timothy 2:1-3 (NKJV) We are also told to pray for our leaders

The why: Jesus tells us “ Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.  For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." Matthew 18:19-20 (NKJV)

I feel it was spiritual warfare because of Ephesians 6 the armor.  It was through Paul conversion from killing the Christians to preaching it was a battle for the people to be convinced that Paul was truly preaching Jesus.  

Prayer is how we build our relationship with God.  We are representatives of Christ here on earth and to be like Christ we must pray and seek the face of God.  Christ prayed for people and he left the Great Commission.  We have to do intercessory prayer for people who know that are lost and even our relatives.  We are to people the closest thing to them seeing Jesus.  The devil do not like to lose a soul and prayer is a strong weapon.

The love and serenity on Stephen's face as he prayed for the forgiveness for those who were stoning him in the pit, haunted Saul day and night till Damascus. Thus his intense need to persecute as many believers as he could to try and erase the vision of Stephen's face before him, in all he did.

Jesus' creation of an Apostle.

Spiritual warfare takes many forms and comes in various intensities.  Depending on the person's spiritual maturity it is handled differently.  Even the most mature can face severe persecution.  Obviously, the devil and his minions wanted to stop the gospel and God was using Paul to spread the gospel and its power, consequently, the heat was on.  The combination of everyday life coupled with persecution from within the Jewish community and from outside would have made many buckle but Paul KNEW his Redeemer and he was strengthened by the Holy Spirit.

The call of God upon a person's life will elicit great attack because the devil and his demons know the power of the gospel proclaimed through a person who is totally committed to Christ and surrendered to the Holy Spirit.  The armor of God is necessary for all, but there is great need to pray the armor over godly leaders.  If the devil can cause one of them to fall it affects scores of others.

Prayer, especially united prayer, is an incredible weapon of the faith so the enemy has to back up.  Ours is a spiritual warfare and we fight against the powers of darkness and wickedness and principalities of this world.  We are not just a family of God, we are an army of God, enlisted to fight the good fight of faith.  Linking hearts together under the power of God puts the devil on notice of his future in the lake of fire and we need to remind him often through prayer, united prayed, and ministering the gospel together.

I think that most of Paul’s overwhelming pressure was due to spiritual warfare. That would be hard to separate out the spiritual warfare from everyday life. But I have a feeling that most of his trouble was spiritual warfare. Intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another is important because it seems like God listens more closely to the group. But it also means that they are in agreement and the Bible say that where there is two or more are in agreement then He will provide.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20)

Q. What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? How much can be attributed to the "normal" struggles of life?

A.  Most of Paul's overwhelming pressure in my opinion was more of spiritual because satan is an enemy of he Gospel who will use physical objects including humans such the Jews to afflict any one like Paul who is committed to spreading the Gospel  

Q. Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

A. The Lord God answers prayers of His children. So it is important for children of God to intercede for pastors and one another

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? How much can be attributed to the "normal" struggles of life? Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

I think that the major part of his pressure was from spiritual warfare. He had opposition when he started to turn people away from the goddess Artemis or Diana and towards God. Then the silversmiths lost a lot of their business and wanted to get rid of him. Also the some of the Jews who rejected him and the gospel were always causing trouble for him. The more people he converted the greater pressure Satan exerted through others. Also he was having a lot of problems with the church at Corinth as well and all this was stressing him out.

He had the normal stuff of teaching and preaching the Word in Ephesus as well. Intercessory prayer is necessary for leaders and each other because our battle is not against flesh and blood but against the devil and his angels or demons and they are invisible but real. We all need to hold each other up in prayer and be vigilant to discern good  from evil. We have to be on our guard and be watchful and ready for Him. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. I think a  great portion of Paul's overwhelming pressure was due to spiritual warfare, as satan will do anything in his power to keep the Gospel from spreading.  

b. Some, the normal struggles of life but Jesus says,  I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)  When we are exposed to struggle, stress, and pain, our inner self is exposed. People can see us for what we are. If we exhibit God's grace under pressure, people will see that as well.     When we suffer, people can see Jesus' work within us and will be attracted to the authenticity they see. That's why Paul talks about his weaknesses and sufferings so much.

c. Intercessory prayer is so important because the Word commands us to pray. It delivers from the attacks of the enemy.  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)  "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:19-20)  Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Eph. 6:18)

What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think?

I would say that the source of the pressure was spiritual in nature but manifest in physical life in the way of beatings, jail time. Being put to the test like this would bring on this overwhelming pressure in not much time at all, leaving one to think that dying would be an easier way out. In Paul’s case it would be a welcome event, not only to escape the pain but also because he knew he would be with Jesus. Paul, having been educated in the OT scriptures might have understood the fact that God was putting limits on Satan the same way He did with Job. I think of the verse … Jesus I know, and Paul I know… Satan’s arch for and helper had it in for Paul the same way he did Jesus and the only thing preventing Paul being killed would be God’s interference. I would have to say that 100% of Paul’s problems originated from spiritual warfare. Satan will do all he can to make something appear as a natural struggle, but Jesus promises an end to all these problems for those who have endured Satan’s attacks without surrendering to him.

The book of Revelations shows 4 riders going out to cause a never ending struggle in hopes of corrupting all of mankind so relating the word struggle with “normal” doesn’t seem to cut it.

Prayer is important because when the people are praying Jesus is in the midst of it all seeing to it that answers are provided.

What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? 

I think it’s a combination of both. As a Christian we will be attacked by Satan. The more obedient we are to our LORD, and the closer we are to Him, the greater will be these attacks. Satan will do all in his power to break up this relationship. Our struggle is with the sin in ourselves - we must not let sin control our lives. There is also the battle with self-control and temptation. If we know our personal weaknesses, we can then lean on God’s strength and grace. In both, Satan’s attack and our own struggles, our only protection is the Word of God and prayer in the power and will of the Holy Spirit. We need Jesus to hold our hand – to recognize our own powerlessness without Him and our need for His constant help in our lives, we come to depend on Him more and more. A reason God allows these struggles is to break the stubborn spirit of self-will within us that insists on doing it our way.
Our intercessory prayer will only be effective if we seek God’s glory and not our own. We know that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us (1 John 5:14). And if we know that He hears us – whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of Him (1 John 5:15). We can now pray with confidence for leaders and for each other, knowing God will accomplish His plans. 

Q4. (2Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? I believe the portion where more and more were converted to Christ, because the enemy can never stand that. In fact from the beginning itself Paul had to go through much persecution from the Pharisees and it became worst as it even came from the pagans.   

How much can be attributed to the "normal" struggles of life? As we all know life itself is not a bed of roses and Jesus Himself said to pick up the cross and follow Him. As we boldly pick up the cross things become different and our perspective toward anything becomes sacred and exciting whether it is a good thing or bad one because we know God makes all things work together for our good and for those who love Him. Romans 8:28  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose. Non believers may think picking up the cross is such difficult and a negative thing but they do not know that there is power in it, beauty in it and as you mature in the Lord you tend to become bolder and bolder in Him because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and if God is for me who can stand against me.

Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important? Praying for one another even we are facing trials and tribulations ourselves is something which is so beautiful and powerful. In my experience I found that sometimes I cannot pray for myself but am able to for others. And I do so because although I cannot understand why I trust my Lord because His thoughts and ways are certainly much higher than mine and in obedience I do so.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It appears that most of Paul's overwhelming pressure was attributed to spiritual warfare, where ever he went Satan was sure to follow and put as many road blocks as possible to hinder the gospel.

Paul was always being pursued by non-believers, and accusing him of disrupting the activity of every day life. 

Paul request intercessory from fellow believers, having them pray that the Lord would help him in his mission to preach the gospel. Our intercessory pray always helps those who are in need of help for struggles they may be facing or for physical healing.      

Q4. (2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think? How much can be attributed to the "normal" struggles of life? Why is intercessory prayer for leaders and for one another so important?

a. That's hard to say; Paul, in the past related his sufferings in detail. But here it almost seems like a  spiritual attack; despair (depression) that felt like a death sentence.

b. Paul's struggles in life were way more than anything that I could relate to, but this affliction in Asia that sapped their strength and caused despair to the point of death was, I believe, a spiritual attack. They were at the end of themselves and God was their only hope, as God is our only hope.("we could not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead")  

c. God calls us to pray continually and to intercede for those in need. We need to pray God's protection from spiritual attack for our leaders and fellow believers alike. As Paul said, "For boldness in his Preaching." It's all about God, so we need to invite Him into every area of our life, the lives of fellow believers, our leaders as well as our world that is in such need to hear the gospel.

• 1 month later...

This is difficult to establish, but anyone who is achieving such great things in the faith as Paul was, will be subject to spiritual attacks from the devil. 

When one reads the amazing hardships that Paul endured, one is aware of how the "normal" struggles of life must have been overwhelming at times.  Only one with as strong a faith as Paul could have survived.

We are all open to temptation and to the buffeting of Satan and his army.   Intercessory prayer is essential if we are to survive these attacks, and this is even more true of church leaders.

• 2 years later...

2 Corinthians 1:8-9; Ephesians 6:18-20) What portion of Paul's "overwhelming pressure" was due to spiritual warfare, do you think?

I think a lot had to do with spiritual warfare. Paul was under continual attack. Where God works, there are bound to be counter-attacks. 

Intercessory prayer is very important as it is very easy to feel/sense the adversory. Be it for leaders or otherwise, we are all in need of prayer. 

Unfortunately it is very easy to place a leader on a pedestal and when something small or big is done wrong all and sundry notice it. Many who had their eyes on the person and not on Christ , then fall. 

• 1 year later...

All of it. I'm amazed at how Satan works through the government because of the government's coercive power over Christians. Paul was persecuted. Unjustly. Repeatedly. He was hounded and maligned and beaten ... by a corrupt and evil government. Although governments should hedge the evil tendencies in people, which is the purpose God has for governments, when the government itself behaves in evil ways, Christians have two options: to push back or submit. Those are our only choices. 

It is expected, then, that we will NOT experience justice on earth as Christians, that the best we can hope for from our Western governments is ... evil. We are persecuted. We are unjustly treated. Satan works through the government to harm us. Only God can save us. 

Perhaps some of you have not YET experienced the horror of being unjustly treated by the government. I pray this doesn't happen to you. But increasingly, Christians in the collective West are being persecuted, often grievously. This is the reason why the church and intercessory prayer is so necessary.

None. In a persecutory environment, "normal" means being unjustly persecuted.

I do not know why multiple prayers are more effective than the prayer of just one saint, but Paul is clearly asking for prayer support, so in his mind, the prayers of the church are effective. When the government comes down on innocent Christians, and civil disobedience is the only just option left to us, or if a cruel and unusual punishment is imposed on us, we desperately need the prayers of others. In our lowest moments, when the pain -- often physical -- is overwhelming and the sky dark, when Satan uses the government to harm us needlessly, our own cries seem inadequate. One of the things the government does is try to intimidate us into admitting we have done something we did not do, to "settle" for a ruling that's unjust. IN those times of darkness, it's incredibly important to have the prayers of other Christians.

I liken it to Aaron and Hur holding up Moses' arms during the battle against the Amalekites. Moses was wearied. He had held his arms up for hours. He couldn't do it any longer. So others supported him. They held up his arms until the defeat of the evil enemy was completed.

Our prayers are the equivalent of holding up Moses' arms. In the approaching era of increased and intense persecution, I hope the church holds up those who are persecuted and unjustly treated by the government. 

"Lord, You know how many Christians are being wrongly accused or persecuted by our government, and how the attacks on Christians have been increasing. You know the injustice that we've endured. You know the fear that the government is trying to create in us and how difficult it is to trust in your protection. I beg you to intervene, Jesus. I ask for our protection. And, Lord, I ask that all Christians who are innocent be completely vindicated. I ask for justice here on earth. I ask that our accusers and persecutors are exposed and experience your wrath, now. Turn the tables against them, Lord!

Please, Jesus, give all wrongly accused Christians Your special power of the Spirit speaking through us in a mighty and powerful way. Let us witness in testimonies. Let the goodness of our lives shine forth clearly. Let our innocence show. Let our accusers be made guilt-ridden, be brought to repentance or be damned forever.

Preserve our lives. If you choose to martyr us, please make it as painless as possible, Lord, for, yes, we are afraid. We confess our fear and we ask that you send your Spirit and your warring angels to protect us. Amen."