JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Humility in Leadership

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4a.)  (5:5-6) What acts of humility are appropriate for church leaders? 

4a.) I don't know if our humility should be looked at as acts...I think it should be our transformed character through Christ. Teachableness, tact, to rebuke and teach with love, encourage, self-control, patience, courage, foundation in the Word, uncompromising in regards to the Word which is truth.

4b.) (5:5-6) How can we discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church?

4b.) I guess I answer a question with a question..What is this person's relationship with Our Savior? John writes: "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what is says." 1 John 1:22 Is this person living his life in the Spirit? You can see it if they are.

4c.) (5:5-6) What happens when we fail to do this?

4c.) We have a leadership structure that is trying to lead God's church by worldly ways, instead of God's way. A recipe for disaster. :angry:

To be submissive. Take to the younger people. Teach them and guide them. Be humble because if you are not in a humble state of mind and heart that means you are too proud and God resists the proud but he will give grace to the humble.

If we humble ourselves to the Almighty hand of God, in due time He may exalt us. Humility and godly graces lead to perfection.

When we do not do this, we are iviting our adversary to walk and roam like a lion just seeking whom he can devour and we must remember to be sober and be vigilant.

Q4. (5:5-6) What acts of humility are appropriate for church leaders? How can we discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church? What happens when we fail to do this?

Church leaders should show humility by being willing to ask questions of the church members as well as give suggestions. He should never put others down, nor say "as long as I am pastor here, we will do it this way!"

How can we tell before putting someone in a place of leadership? If he/she is a member, usually we have had experiences with them before, and if they cannot work with others without insisting on having his/her way, then we should be careful about putting them in authority. People who take credit for things that are their gifts from God, rather than giving God the glory are showing pride--thus not likely, in fact, unable to act humbly! :huh:

When we fail to ascertain whether the proposed leader is humble or not, then the committee, or class, or pastor will cause discension and harm the work of the Lord! We will find our work has become spiritually empty--not something that will receive the Lord's "well done!"

Church members, even in a small church, are a relatively diverse group. Some are all white, some are all black, many have a mix of many races. However, there any many income levels, family backgrounds, occupations, personal needs and personal reasons for members to attend church. By being arrogant and bossy, some members would easily be driven off. In church life just as in personal life, we must emmulate Jesus, and continually use him as our model. There are many times that someone is thought of as being snooty, when they are just insecure in the group. Caution rules. The candidates for jobs should be given single tasks, and observed as they fulfill those responsibilities. They can then be tried at more complex leadership roles before ultimately being trusted with the welfare of a group in the church. You know, kind of like how God brings us along in our faith walk..

failing to properly screen our church leaders costs us members. It also causes us to have to focus on issues rather than on our worship.

Being humble should be one of the easiest things to do, but if you are too humble are you proud? The church leaders should always work at being humble in actions and do what is right from the heart according to God's word. I think you can usually tell if a person is really humble most of the time by their interaction with fellow members of the church body. Most of the time a proud person will eventually show themselves in actions and their talk. These kind of people can be uncomfortable to be around and should be thought about and prayed about before putting them in leadership in the church. When someone is put in the leadership role and is proud and has to have his/her own way all the time it breaks down the fellowship of belonging to that church group. A leader with humility shows acts of kindness, willing to listen, not needing to have their own way at any cost and wanting to give God all the glory for his/her gifts of leadership. Not all leaders have all these attributes, but praise the Lord many do.

hOW CAN I SEE THE SPLINTER IN

THE EYE OF OTHER PERSON WHEN

I HAVE A 2X4 IN MINE.

THINGS OF THIS NATURE OF THE QUESTION

I AM WILLING TO LET GOD MANAGE, HE IS

MUCH BETTER MANAGER THAN ME AND BESIDES

IN GOD'S WORLD NOTHING HAPPENS BY MISTAKE

I AM BOUND TO CHRIST JESUS AND ALL I DO IS

BE WILLING TO PICK UP MY CROSS IN THE MORNING

AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, HE DOES FOR ME WHAT

I CANNOT DO FOR MYSELF.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Q4. (5:5-6) What acts of humility are appropriate for church leaders? How can we discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church? What happens when we fail to do this?

Humility is the ultimate test for a Leader. Being a leader or a committee member gives a person certain authority. But to use that authority with all humility is the ultimate test. Jesus had all authority of the Father but He waited on His Father and His will rather than do His own thing. If we leaders follow in the footsteps of our Lord, He will exalt us in due course of time. If the Pastor can know the interests of the new leaders before giving them chance on the committee, then he can rest in peace. Otherwise, the devil will use them to divide the Church and lead to its downfall. All leaders and Pastors should have what Christ had. The servant attitude and the faith in God above. To do His will should be our goal.

Church leaders are to be humble in spirit and not puffed up with pride because of the leadership position. We are all under the power of the mighty hand of God.

We can observe their daily life, how they interact with others and and first of all do they have a humble attitude. We pray that in taking on the leadership position it is for all the right reasons.

When we fail to do this, then we are taking our leadership seriously. We can see confusion in a congregation, possibly division and maybe a lack of trust. We do not want to be the reason some might stumble.

One act would be to "walk the walk". In other words, church leaders should lead by example as much as by exhortation. For example, if church leaders exhort their congregation to missions, they should be willing to perform the same missions.

By placing a potential leader in a position of participation in a program that is lead by someone else, the potential leader can be observed. If we don't do this, the person's motivation may be misunderstood. This can have a long term devastating effect on the church as a whole when unbelievers see power hungry leaders in local churches. These types of leaders usually end up in some sort of scandal and expose the church to ridicule and charges of hypocrisy.

(5:5-6) What acts of humility are appropriate for church leaders? How can we discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church? What happens when we fail to do this?

Church leaders should recognize that their power to lead comes from God, and they can do nothing of themselves. They must be willing to serve in any way necessary, no matter how small or how large the task, and give God the glory for being able to do it.

Before a person is put in a place of leadership, the leaders and members should take notice of how the person conducts their life, not only in the church, but outside. How do they treat the older members? How do they deal with the young? A truly committed servant of God should have respect and compassion for every age group in the church. Most of all, they must glorify God and honor Him in all areas of their life.

When we fail to discern a person's humility and place them in a leadership position, we are doing a dis-service to the church. People will eventually see through their hypocrisy and lose respect for them; therefore, their leadership becomes ineffective.

I am now in my fourth year as elder in our; Non-denominational, Christ centered, Bible believing church. Eldership has been a very enjoyable and learning experience. After going to this church for a short time I was asked if I would like to become an Elder. An "overseer". My thought was: I'm not good enough --- and I definitely am afraid to talk in public --- but I accepted --- and have received way more than I have given. God has continued to Bless, and show HIS love toward me, by giving me this "Joyful Heart" group to interact with, love, pray, and learn from ... I appreciate you!

Love ... Bro. Al

The act of humility is being a servant-deeming others more important than yourself. To observe a person over a period of time will reveal their true character. Praying for God's will in appointing that leadership role is the key. If we don't seek God's will and we may put a wolf in the shepherds position and put the flock at risk. The accountability for this is worth consideration.

ALL are servants. Without this understanding a person is too immature for any office. The higher the leader the greater his/her servant capacity or role. I was exceedingly distressed recently during a seminar. At her inconvenience the pastor's wife was summoned and she came urgently to my assistance. This is service/humility. People come first in our lilves, and we are here to serve and to bless, especially leaders.

People do not go directly into leadership. They fulfil many roles on their way up there. As they do these other jobs, their attitudes can be seen. Do they see a job and do it? Have they set about humbler roles with joy and vigour (eg cleaning toilets, making coffee, setting up chairs and tables.) Are they a joy to have around the place? Do they complain? Do they need close supervision or are their initiatives viable? Do people like working with them? Are they growing? Are they good at listening to people and understanding where they are at? All these relate to humility.

Failing to discern humility before offering leadership/responsibility is very foolish. Pride is the worst sin and separates its author from others - very divisive. Humility is pre-requisite to unity, therefore pre-requisite to any office within the delicate church community.

THEY MUST BE HUMBLE AND ABSENT OF PRIDE. THEY MUST DO THINGS OUT OF LOVE FOR THE WORD AND MUST BE ABOVE REPROACH, SELF CONTROLLED, RESPECTABLE, HOSPITABLE, ABLE TO TEACH, AND BE A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR THE BELIEVERS.

PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THEY WORSHIP AND ACCEPT THE MOVE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. PRAY FOR GOD TO MOVE ON THEIR HEARTS TO SHOW THEM WHERE HE WANTS THEM TO LEAD.

THE CHURCH WILL NOT GROW IF LED BY UNAPPOINTED LEADERS. IT WILL HAVE FALSE TEACHERS. GOD WILL NOT BLESS.

Church leaders need to have an attitude of humility before God. They need to be humble of spirit and not puffed up with pride.

We can discern a person's humility not so much by what they say,but by their actions. Does he do things for the church because he has a servant's heart or because he wants to be noticed by people?

If we end up placing someone in a leadership position who doesn't have a humble spirit,then that ministry and even the church may suffer. God's blessings won't be upon that person because they will be seeking to be seen of men rather than serving Him.

I'm a little nervous about the term "acts of humility" - sounds like some specific behaviors or actions that we check off. More to the point would be to observe the individual as he/she serves on a ministry team or takes care of a specific project. Do they serve willingly? Does it appear that they really care about the task and doing it well, or are they looking to be seen and to "look good"? Are they responsible to finish the task or fulfill the team expectations? Otherwise, we will get people who are self-serving and ineffective and most likely will be a source of major headaches for everyone else.

A leaders acts of humility tell us a lot about the person.How a person remains humble when they are praised.Obedience begins with being humble.Also being humble stops quarrels in our church over disagreements.Also Jesus teaches us not to seek places of honor.Service is more important.

A person can work hard and accomplish much,but only because God poures kindness and grace upon that person because they are truely serving God for their church.True humility is not convincing yourself that you are worthless,some of us may feel that way,but recognizing Gods work in yourself or even in another person, is having Gods perspective on who you are,or who they are and acknowledging his grace in developing you or the other persons abilities.

Look for someone who would not boast about all that they do in the church.That person just wants to be reconized and praised for what they do,and really are not serving with a servants heart.

All that we do, we know our power comes from God.When we are content to do what God wants us to do and let Jesus Christ be honored for it,God will do great things for us...~~Amen~~~.

:blink: Church leaders first of all should realise that they are servants of God and also of God's children as

well. They should exercise Christlike humilty in dealing with their charge. They should be kind, patient,

and understanding and above all scripturally sound. Their family should be an example.

A humble man does not try to impose himself on others nor boast of his qualifications or of his

ancestry. I know of a story where a man started feeling proud of his humility!!.

Unfotuntely many a congregations are let down because of non-committed leadeship of pastors

and we get into unnecessary complications, which are detrimental to the edification of CHURCH, HIS BRIDE. :D

One can discern the persons humility not so much by "acts" but by attitude. Listen closely and see where his heart is. Is his interests center about himself or is God utmost in his heart. The mouth is the mirror of the heart. If there is pride and egoism in the person he will lead the flock to center on him and not on Christ. The church will be built on man instead of Jesus. Many leaders enjoy the peoples dependence on them when in fact they should be teaching the people to depend on the Lord Jesus Christ.

To have a leader who is able to admit to a mistake. to be able to relate well to those under his care in a caring passionate way. I think you have to know the person before you put him/her in a place of leadership. This will come aboutas you experience the person in his home and community, and church activities. One who gives willingly of his/her time and talents will usually become a church and community leader. (many times this person is active in all levels in his /her community. They are the ones who will find the time to do or make the time!!!) Choosing the most popular person does not always make the best choice, The quiet, unassuming, caring person also has great gifts to offer in leadership.

• 2 months later...

What acts of humility are appropriate for church leaders?

Taking the time to listen to the member's of the congregation and there individual struggles. To spend time fellowshiping with them, and not blowing them off like dust in the wind. By what I've seen these day's, our Pastor's are very very well dressed<<doesn't look so humble to me, but more like lifted up. I don't know so much as proud, but for some yes.

How can we discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church?

By there Integrity and Character in Christ. Listen to them closely and to those in immediate relation.

What happens when we fail to do this?

The church will probably become divided.

• 1 month later...

Acts of humility that are appropriate for church leaders are being of the same character of their congregation. We can discern a person's humility before putting him or her in a place of leadership in the church by observing their attitude toward regular members and with the leadership. When we fail to do this we could place a person whose god is power, rather that the true God, and the congregation can get discouraged.