JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Day 9. Washed

Pastor Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

It's the thought of the blood! There is suffering with shed blood. If we are to accept the blood for our redemption, we also have to accept that Christ suffered for us. Even just considering the cross, we are brought to repentance. That He willing laid down His beautiful life in great suffering for us. It's not an easy thing to contemplate. You begin to feel sorry! If you have any love for Jesus, you feel very sorry He had to go through that for you. 

Perhaps people don't want to face that kind of deep repentance. It means really looking at Jesus and what He did for us. The blood never gets old. It's always fresh, always full of the power of life. But we have to give up our self righteousness in order to accept it, in order to be washed in it! 

There are 'new age' teachings, (I know because I used to follow them!) which completely deny the blood of Christ. They also talk about resurrecting yourself! And taking yourself off the cross. It's a form if self righteousness that wants to remain in the driving seat, it has no real power ( a form of godliness, denying the power Therein- 2 Timothy 3:5) perhaps teachings like these have crept into the church? Surely we don't really want to remain feeble and arrogant in our own self righteousness, especially when you can be washed in the blood of the lamb and receive eternal life and Grace from God.

I think that this imaging is so jarring is because it is using the symbolism of blood. We see blood all the time in the action movies so to be washed in the blood makes us a little hesitant. We are to see that Jesus in this image because He did shed His blood for us and that we can be made pure in His blood.

Blood is part of GOD's creation. King James Bible Leviticus 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

1 Peter 1:19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without ...

but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. ... but with
precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ. ... 

Father, thank you for full forgiveness, for complete cleansing from even our most stubborn stains! I pray that great tribulation will not be necessary for us to come to you for cleansing, but that we might come early and often for your forgiveness, O Lamb of God who takes away our sins. In Jesus' blessed name, we pray. Amen.

Day 9 Meditation (Revelation 7:13-14).

Q. Why do you think this image is so jarring -- being made white by washing in blood? What are we supposed to see in this?

A. Washed in the blood and made white? Spiritual matters can only be understood through the Spirit of God. The blood of slain Christ spiritually pays for/ takes  away our dirty sin and makes us acceptable to God. He paid for our sin by dying in our place. We are thus seen by God as clean and as white as snow.
Q. Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?

A. Some people are embarrassed by this imagery of blood sacrifices because they equate the blood here to the babaric human blood sacrifices associated with some cultures in times past.

Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? What are we supposed to see in this?

I think it is to do with blood and looks cruel. To see Christ paid the penalty of our sins by his own precious blood.

Romans 3:23-26
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 
24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 
25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 
26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?

Those reject the CROSS and the Gospel will think this is embarrassing.

First I would like to thank Dr. Wilson and his ministry for God's kingdom work.

I have been enriched by reading each of your thoughts and feedback, thank you........

Tarabell, there are many antichrists in this world even today. I thank God HE directed you away from such teachings and leading you into greater understanding of His word.

[ Deceptions of the Last Hour ] Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.
Unfortunately, public schools have become a breeding ground for self-making of oneself a god and many of these families are Biblically dead, easy bait for Satan and evil.

Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? The image of red making white is somewhat an oxymoron yet this is not literal as many would think. One of the hardest stains to remove from anything. (wonder why?)

What are we supposed to see in this? If we understand spiritually, as haar states, this is our cleansing of our sins with Christ's blood shed on the cross to atone. This is likened to the TV (movie) show "Mission Impossible" quote, 'Your mission, if you choose to accept it'. What a mission we have.

Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some? They don't understand because they cannot grasp salvation through this cleansing process and possibly embarrassed by their own sins. I grew up on a farm and did see many animals slaughtered yet it was for food. Blood shed, by animals, to give life, food, nurishment, (different kind than what Christ's shed blood gave us) as well. 

As Wayne shared about the blood above I see the following:
In our internal bodily system our blood gets corrupted with our intake (breathing, eating, injecting, etc.) of bad stuff, as it flows through our God made system certain organs cleanse our blood to carry the good blood through our body for it to function correctly. When our system cannot cleanse our blood from all the bad we become sicker and sicker. Even the medicines we take when sick enter into our blood system to help combat the 'corruptness' in our life giving blood.
-----Now think of our spiritual life, soul, being (could be our robe here) and what corrupts it and what God provided mechanism cleanses it-------AWESOME isn't it!!-----
With blood = life, live, living (at conception with blood flowing giving life)
Without blood = death (just as in slaughter, draining the blood out brings death)
Washed with Christ's blood = salvation and eternal life (since I cannot instruct God on what is required I fully accept His way to be cleansed of my sins)

God bless all. Willie

On 5/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 9 Meditation (Revelation 7:13-14). Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? What are we supposed to see in this? Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?

a. Because it is the opposite of what we think.  How can this be?  We think of washing blood, not being made white by washing with blood.  But we are thinking in the natural. 

b. In the Spiritual we see Jesus pure, holy blood washing over us, cleansing us.  It is all Spiritual, and it really happens, a changed life, a supernatural miracle.  

c. Because they are looking in the natural.  In the natural we see bloodshed for evil purposes.  Jesus'  Holy Blood was shed for us for a good purpose to cleanse and make us ready to be in His presence and for heaven.  

On 5/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 9 Meditation (Revelation 7:13-14). Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? What are we supposed to see in this? Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?

1. Why do you think this image is so jarring--being made white by washing in blood?

Blood implies an injury which needs medical attention, often associated with trauma and death. The odor of blood is repellent as well. When blood spills on clothing, It's very difficult to remove through washing. A family member faints at the sight of blood, even a small cut, so to read that white robes have been "made clean" washed in blood is anathema or opposed to every thing we know or experience.

2. What are we supposed to see in this?

Jesus blood is the only "agent" which can cleanse or wash away the stain of sin, so the white robes represent perfect cleansing, forgiveness, celebration, and acceptance into the family of God through the shed "blood of the Lamb" our Savior.

3. Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?

We're forced to think of and remember the gruesome torture and death Jesus died for us when blood is mentioned.  Perhaps some prefer to think of Him risen from the dead clothed in white linen rather than focus on the gory details of His suffering. (When I saw The Passion of the Christ, I became almost physically ill, and sobbing, as we saw Him being tortured and beaten) Also Women's flow of blood has a negative connotation in many places in scripture making them untouchable or unable to be out in public during those times, and so on. Blood just isn't a pleasant topic in any conversation. (My mother would call it "not fit for table discussion)

Day 9 Meditation (Revelation 7:13-14). Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? It's the idea of blood which we know to be a symbol of injury, being used to wash robes. It's jarring because you assume there to be a bucket of blood, but on the other hand it's magical that the blood turns the robes white. Symbolically the blood represents injury/death, and the washing is being reborn (baptism) into a new (pure) life. 

What are we supposed to see in this?  We are being made pure (white) because we are being washed in the blood of Jesus, who died for our sins.

Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?  I don't know if it's embarrassing but rather shocking. The idea of blood washing anything connotes a great amount of blood that was shed, which we come to think of as a grave injury.  It's hard not to be a little scared by it, but then again, it was a pretty scary scene when Jesus was crucified. It's an effective image which may shock and offend some, it delivers an unforgettable message: Jesus sacrificed himself to save those that he loved. 

We in Ethiopia still slaughter lamb and goat and chicken on holidays like new year, Chritmas, Easter at our homes and gather with families and feast. Especially, after I realized the the blood of Jesus shed for me to make me child of God and Knowing that this blood day by day cleanse me from my trespasses simply by confession as opposed to sin sacrifice by Israelite which they have to make every time through trying to please God in their work, I ask my self what a priceless gift I have been given for free and the Holyspirit making it absolute daily helping me to worship God. And I imagine how Jesus obeyed in humility when I see those lambs we slaughter give up to be slaughtered. This always reminds me of the price paid for me and those who are saved through confession of that Jesus died for them and rose and is Lord in heaven in his speldor in the right hand of God.

Though I am free from such embaressemt because of what we practice to get meat during holidays, I can imagine those in the Western world that it is difficult for them to relate the blood of Jesus cleansing our sin because of the humility He showed till death in the cross like the lamb we slaughter goes to our home and gives its neck to be slain. Hope God in the Holyspirit can light up their mind and heart to better understand the sacrifice of Jesus as lamb. I pray in the name of Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Edited by Menberu Adane
Spelling and grammar.

I think it is so jarring because they think it is too gruesome and bloody to think about. That one would have to be washed in someone's blood to be made clean. How can one be made clean and white with blood? It is a paradox in itself to people. 

We are supposed to see people being made clean, pure and righteous like He is. 

I think it is embarrassing because they do not understand why He has to do it that way and they do not understand how it was done in Israel or even in America when farmers butchered their own cows, pigs and chickens. They ant a less gruesome theory for atonement.

Edited by Lottie
I was not done answering the question.

Why do you think this image is so jarring – being made white by washing in blood? I think this image is so jarring - being made white by washing in blood because in the natural we know that blood by itself, on a material will cause a stain.  This image of blood cleansing and making white is not a norm it can only be supernatural. 

What are we supposed to see in this? In this we are supposed to see the omnipotence of the blood of Jesus that was shed for the cleasing of our sin stained soul.  Only the power of the blood of Jesus can remove the stain of sin and make us righteous.

Why do you think this imagery is embarrassing to some?  The imagery is embarrassing to some who may associate the sheding of blood as nothing but barbaric and cannot see it resulting in anything good.

Why do you think this image is so jarring - being made white by washing in blood? 
What are we supposed to see in this? 

I’m in my 80’s and have been through the Bible a few times in my life, and I find this a very apt and descriptive metaphor. This image is seen originally in Gen 49:11, and the idea of sins being cleansed by the atonement of blood sacrifices is a common image in the Old Testament. Examples in the New Testament are found in Heb 9:14, where we are told to let the blood of Christ purify our conscience. Again in 1 John 1:7 we are told that Jesus has paid the penalty for our sins, and His blood has purified us. There are more examples in Eph 1:7; Rom 3:25; Heb 13:20; Rev 5:9. However, I can understand that some of the younger and urban generation might find it a bit strange.
“They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb” (Rev 7:14b). We read in (Exo 19:10, 14) that God told the Israelites at Mount Sinai to wash their clothes before coming before Him. To stand before God in filthy garments is an abomination to Him. We can interpret this passage only in symbolical terms, because it is impossible to think of red blood making clothes white. The precious blood of Christ figuratively cleanses sinners from every sin to present them holy and spotless to God (Eph 5:26-27; 1John 1:7). So, by washing our robes, we as sinners come to Christ by faith and repentance, confessing our sins. We purify our clothes through the blood of the Lamb. Making our garments white, that is, pure and holy, can only be done without exception through Christ's blood shed on Calvary's cross. It is His blood that removes the impurity of our sin - without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin (Heb 9:22).
I have always hated the thought of the primitive blood sacrifice of innocent animals, but I also know that God hates sin, and that innocent blood had to be spilt for the atonement of my sin. Only by accepting Jesus’ blood, shed on the cross for the remission of sins, can we stand before God covered in the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21). 

Blood is gory, seeing it makes one squeamish, some people even faint at the sight of blood.  The reality is spilled blood is not a pretty sight.  Thank Hollywood for that!  A cop investigating at the scene of a brutal murder can attest to that.  Because people do not understand that this is a spiritual cleansing and not a physical cleansing then the image would be jarring to some.  I don't know why it would be embarrassing.  If that is the case then you don't really understand what scripture says or the significance of the cross.

I believe what we should see in this is the price Jesus had to pay in redeeming us to the Father.  Jesus' literal blood was spilled for humanity to make us spiritually clean.  

Day 9 Meditation (Revelation 7:13-14). Why do you think this image is so jarring -- being made white by washing in blood?

Being made white by washing in blood is impossible for mankind, but with God nothing is impossible. It symbolizes being unclean and needing to be made white by washing in the blood (of Jesus) and this brings about salvation.  

What are we supposed to see in this? I see that: Jesus Blood is still washing the world and cleansing  from our sins.

Some may be embarrassed because they are not totally committed wanting  to be both in the world and in the church.

The image is so jarring because the robes can't come clean without the shedding of the Lamb's blood which is Christ's blood to begin with. When you consider the very fact that sin makes someone unclean and unable to come before the Lord that alone should tell us that the blood is necessary for cleansing of the sin. We are supposed to see the blood of Lord Jesus Christ still has the power to cleanse people from their sins. Because they don't want to admit that they are sinners. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

On lesson 9, are the ones in white robes those who have been martyred during the last 3 and 1/2 years of the Great tribulation?

It is jarring because of its violence. And mess. And suffering involved with death.

The awfulness of our sin. The terrible cost involved in cleansing our sin.

We don't like to think of ourselves as messy, sinful and deserving of judgment. Certainly not to the point that God's Son had to suffer and die for us. Too uncivilized.

• 3 months later...

While reading this, I saw with my spiritual eyes Jesus, as my great High Priest, splashing my garments with the Blood. Instantly I was made clean!!!

WOW! May this be an occurrence when we get to Heaven. An intimate ceremony of magnificent symbolism, yet also an act of truth that encompasses the whole of scriptures! Jesus is so cool! Praise Him!!!