JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Day 17. Marriage Supper

Pastor Ralph

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9). If now we are “betrothed” to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the “marriage” delayed until the End of Time? What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not? In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem?

• 4 weeks later...

This is really more difficult than I can express...Here we have a "betrothal" ...a "marriage ceremony"  and a ",marriage supper"',including a remembrance of the first miracle that JESUS performed at the Jewish wedding at Cana . All of this patterned after the Jewish wedding....but we generally think of a wedding here on earth as between one man and one woman...I am afraid that without spiritual and glorified "eyes" I can not rightly discern what this "heavenly" marriage means..I can understand the covenant aspects of it, and the beautiful symbolism, but I am afraid I will have to wait until I have a spiritual body like our LORD and Savior before I can really understand what all this means

For any who might want to comment...if you are a man, can you truly think of yourself as a "bride" here on earth?...I think a woman would not have as much difficulty with this...(on earth)...I really believe heavenly things are  not so easily understood here on earth...Even the "Jewishness" of a traditional wedding is difficult in our culture.This very mysterious event that the Apostle John records in the Book of Revelation, I think will be more glorious than our feeble physical minds can comprehend here on earth..

I think that Satan and his followers needed to be put in their place. They are not welcome to the wedding and wedding feast and celebration of the Lamb.

Could it be holiness? When we lived on earth we were justified by faith as we accepted the free gift of salvation (God's grace), but we were always in the process of sanctification. We sinned less but weren't sinless. Now in our resurected state, is the sanctification process complete and we sin no more? Worthy to be the bride of Christ?

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9).

Q. If now we are "betrothed" to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the "marriage" delayed until the End of Time?

A. I am not very sure but I think we have to wait till the return of the Lord when He gathered His faithful ones to the great supper.

Q. What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not?

A. Being married means all requirements are met, the time is ripe and all protocol and processes completed to consumate the marriage union.

On the other hand, for betrothal - the set time and processes have not been completed and the marriage supper has not taken place . 

Q. In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem?

A. New Jerusalem is the city of the Lord God and the Bridegroom, the venue of the marriage supper where the marriage will take place.

Each follower of Jesus is temple of God and all of us are parts of this body of followers called Church of Christ that Paul tells us prepared, betrothed, to Christ. Thus, there are those who are chosen to be part of this body of the bride, washed by the blood of Jesus, yet to believe through hearing the gospel, so the delay until the body of Christ, it bride full of believers get ready.

Betrothal is promise time of preparation of the bride and the bridegroom, the time to call invited/attendants, preparation of feast and dowry for the bride by the bridegroom. This time the bride and the bridegroom leave separately in their parent's homes. Married is coming to the completion of the promise of engagement and they become one.

Likewise, the final of this marriage will be final in the new Jerusalem that all human beings who are washed with the blood of Jesus will get the fulfillment of their hope to eternity that they lost in Eden.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9). If now we are “betrothed” to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the “marriage” delayed until the End of Time? What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not? In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem?

a. The marriage Is delayed until the End of Time, as I believe we are now being prepared.  We are being changed and made ready.   And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Cor. 3:18)  Christ has already won the victory, but He is merciful and not willing that anyone should perish and has an appointed time.  Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.  (I Cor.15:24-25)

b. The state of being married is a commitment for life, it involves the signing of legal documents, betrothal does not.  Betrothal is a promise or an engagement and can easily be broken.

c. It will be realized that we shall forever be with the Lord for all eternity.  The New Jerusalem, the place where God dwells, a new heaven and a new earth where righteousness, peace and joy abound and no evil , no more death, mourning or pain. Hallelujah!

On 5/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. If now we are "betrothed" to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the "marriage" delayed until the End of Time?

This is to be the marriage celebration of all born again believers...and the delay must include all of those betrothed to Him.

2. What does the state of marriage imply that betrothal does not?

Betrothal in our terms means "promised" to marry but allows for a period of time to make all of the preparations for the celebration on the day of the marriage and consummation, when the groom takes his bride to the home He has prepared for her to live and spend the rest of their lives together. During our betrothal period the relationship has limitations in the relationship. When we are married we are permitted unlimited intimacy and proximity as bride and groom. How glorious that will be to have no separation from our Jesus, no more long distance prayers, no more trials and testing, no more tears or broken hearts....that will all be left behind. We will see Him face to face and will "know" each other in emotional/spiritual terms, as humans experience physically in marriage.

3. In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem?

When we are "married" we will "see Him" and we will be "like Him" in that our flesh and sin nature were left behind, so no more fears or pretense or wondering about Him or about how He thinks of us or sees us....total transparency. Sheer love and adoration flowing between bride and groom. What a beautiful gift to look forward to enjoying and living for eternity. His bride will be His delight, so no wandering eyes as happens in marriages, because we will all be our perfect selves from all that we've endured according to His plans for us as we lived here on earth.  

As the bride (symbolic for intimacy), men will still be men and women will still be women, but asexual since there will no longer be a need for procreation. I love that our Father has feminine tenderness of heart, and a loving listening ear, which in my experience is limited in males...."just get to the Point!" So when we think of Paul, and Peter and John, and Abraham and David, we will know them as they were in the Bible, but perfected and in His image, just as we will be.

If now we are "betrothed" to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the "marriage" delayed until the End of Time? 
What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not? 
In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem? 

The way I understand this is that our betrothal took place with our redemption, and our state of being married occurred with our sanctification, and finally our future living with our Lord forever in the New Jerusalem is our glorification. 
Once we are saved, as the Bride, we are still covered with spots, wrinkles, and blemishes. There is a lot of work to be done in preparation for the ceremony. 
There is a process of moral and spiritual preparation. Being cleansed as we hear and obey the Word. Just as the blood of Christ cleanses once for all from the guilt and penalty of sin, so the word of God cleanses continually from the defilement and pollution of sin. Once sanctified Jesus Himself will present the Bride to Himself a glorious church, holy and without blemish. Having been glorified, she will then reach the acme of beauty and spiritual perfection. 

If now we are “betrothed” to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the “marriage” delayed until the End of Time? The "marriage" is delayed until the End of Time as it will signal the final defeat of Satan, as the Bridegroom comes for the Bride.

What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not? The state of being married implies a final union of the bride and the groom. Betrothal is a period following the promise to make a bride a wife, and it  is a time of preparation for the grand event.

In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem? It will be realized in the New Jerusalem as the Bridegroom presents His Bride to the Father at the marriage supper of the Lamb.

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9). I

If now we are “betrothed” to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the “marriage” delayed until the End of Time?

The delay is time of preparation and purification?  "Like Esther, before she could go into the king she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments, prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six months with perfumes and cosmetics.” (Just an illustration) God gives the church time to prepare for the coming of His son.

Betrothal is a promise make between a couple preparing to live as husband and wife at a set time. Being married is both man and woman entered into final union where two become one. 

In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem?

When Christ, the bridegroom return for His bride, the church present her blameless ans spotless at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.

If now we are "betrothed" to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the "marriage" delayed until the End of Time?  The delay is so the bride can prepare. The bride is the Body of Christ who still has to grow into working together in unity. 

What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not?  The marriage itself is the commitment realized. The betrothal is a promise to commit. We just have to keep in mind that when God promises something to us, he is faithful and will do what he says unlike the broken engagements that we see in our world. 

In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem? The Bridegroom will come for His Bride and they will meet there in the New Jerusalem. 

We have to wait until we are fully grown into His image and purified in order to be married to Him because He is holy and pure. We have to be fully prepared and show fruits that we are His. Everything is done in His timing and this earth must come to an end before that.

Betrothal or engagement is a commitment or promise and a date set where you will be married to each other. Marriage is the actual culmination of your union; when the two become one.

In New Jerusalem the Bride and the Bride Groom will finally meet and  be joined together and all heaven will celebrate .

We need to be fully ready for the Lord and what He has for us because when He comes we will judge the world and also be the ones who exacting wrath upon the ones who hate our Lord. Why is it delayed because there are some who don't believe in the Lord and think that He won't return at all. Marriage implies that the couple is actual together and the two have become one flesh. Betrothal or engagement is a commitment or promise to someone that there is a date set to marry. Another thing the world and heavens must come to an end as well. In the New Jerusalem the Bride and her groom they will meet and wed. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9). If now we are “betrothed” to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the “marriage” delayed until the End of Time?  This must mean that the marriage has to wait until the evil forces of Satan are defeated. 

What does the state of being married imply that betrothal does not?  Betrothal is the engagement and the marriage is the exchange of vows and the consummation. 

In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem? I can't exactly picture this.

Day 17 Meditation (Revelation 19:6-9). If now we are "betrothed" to the Lamb (to use this analogy), why is the "marriage" delayed until the End of Time?

The marriage will take place when Jesus return. It’s delayed because the Antichrist and False Prophets, the wars and judgments the of the fallen world, and also the final defeat of Satan’s forces must be dealt with before the Marriage

To be married mean joined together,( redeemed, cleansed, prepared and will be united ) with him inseparably forever. betrothal is waiting (to be married). 1 Corinthian 1:10-13In

The betrothal is followed by a wedding ceremony.

In what sense will that be realized in the New Jerusalem

The wedding ceremony involves the bridegroom taking his bride to his father’s house in the New Jerusalem. It only then the wedding party, guests will celebrate the marriage

The wedding will take place, And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Then he said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!' " And he said to me, "These are the true sayings of God." “Revelation 19:8-9 (NKJV

• 4 weeks later...