JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Day 21. Temple

Pastor Ralph

Day 21 Meditation (Revelation 21:22). How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God? How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God? In what sense do we understand that the “temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb”?

• 4 weeks later...

The way that the Tabernacle and the Temple of Jerusalem created a barrier is that only certain people could go behind certain curtain. You had to be a priest in order to go in certain places. Now we can all call on God for the things that we need. There are certain things that we do during worship and its usually the same things. We don’t branch out and see other things. That is why I think that the “temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb” is our temple because we will not be held back praising them.

Pastor Dr. Ralph, you have said it all. The plan of our God is to own us forever and ever by returning us where we belong to our heavenly place anew but sanctified by the blood of Jesus. During the service of the tabernacle and the temple, the people who served between the people and Holy God were themselves mourning for this complete freedom as they could not get the pure sacrifice of Jesus but used animals blood multitudes of times. Thus, before they reach the Holy of hollies where God promised will be present, they had to cleanse themselves because God granted them the COVENANT that He accepted that procession/rite (with blood of multitudes of lambs), and had to pass through all those barriers-that reminded them of their sinful nature. We were all children of wrath full of sin from the beginning and our wickedness as we socialize. Therefore, the barrier is sin2 Corinthian 3. And reminds them and us all that He is Holy and we are not unless we come to Jesus. Thanks Jesus, He took away our sin and has made us pure and holy to see the Father and the Son-with their throne in the mist of those who cleansed themselves by the blood of the lamb.

Still there are such sense of distancing our selves because we still don't trust ourselves-our daily work and walk-and we are also abscessed with doctrines, teachings, who we listen and get pastoral service, pride, knowledge, ego, need for attention, even sometimes our politics and differences...are barriers, even if we are told that we are redeemed from all language, tribe, nation...We also draw our own picture of God and discipline of worship and way of rituals that we think pleases God but people-and our backgrounds, culture, way of bringing up are also seen shaping how we worship and when to worship God-come before Him. Yes discipline is good  but should be of humble heart not way we perform in our churches and prayer meetings, cell groups ...I believe that we need also healing to come before God with the blood of Jesus in humble heart and worship Him wherever we are. God helps us. 

"The temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb" is the presence of God and the right given to us to see him face to face and serve Him-because from the beginning in the new Jerusalem those who enter are those who cleansed themselves with the blood of Jesus-The Lamb. So no barrier to separate us from our God. You illustrated it well.

Thanks for the revelation and I am blessed with it. Jesus bless you.

The tabernacle in the wilderness and the temple in Jerusalem separated people from God. In the tabernacle the bronze altar was for animal sacrifices to atone for sin but now Jesus's death on the cross has done away with that. The bronze laver was for the priests to washing and cleansing but now we have been made clean through Jesus. The table of showbread is a symbol of providing food for the monarch but God who is spiritual does not need food to eat. The lampstand provided light but Jesus is our light now. The altar of incense is to provide an appeasing fragrance for the monarch but our prayers and petitions do that. The ark of the covenant is a portable seat for the king or monarch but God does not need that. These all kept the people from experiencing His presence and being near Him. Because no one could look at Him and live. Even Moses was shielded by God from seeing His face.

The temple itself had barriers that kept others out and only the sacrificers and priests in. The courtyard was only for the priests and ones who brought sacrifices. The  holy place only allowed the priests to enter and the Holy of Holies allowed only the high priest to go into once a year. But now Jesus has torn the veil and all go in and worship God. There are no  more barriers once we come to Jesus and believe.

Our traditional forms of worship sometimes stop us from being spontaneous and real. They stop us from really worshipping as God wants us to because we think others will disapprove. They keep us locked into doing things in the same old way and prevent us from drawing closer to Him. Sometimes we are too afraid of being real and asking for help because we think we should just rely on Him. Or we just go through the motions and our hearts are not in it. We become self-absorbed or focus on other things instead. We forget whose we are and why we are here and what He wants us to do. 

The temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb because it is in heaven where He reigns and rules. it is the place Jesus talked about in John. It is the place where we will finally see Him as He is. Where the sun and moon will no longer be needed because He will be our light and there will be no more darkness. There will be no barriers anymore and no restraints. For we will be with Him forever and ever and praise His wonderful name. Now is the time we should prepare our hearts and get ready for that dahy.

Day 21 Meditation (Revelation 21:22).

How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?  I don't think the actual Tabernacle or the Temple created the barriers because they were both built exactly as God instructed. The barriers created are by us. Our own sin created the barriers that I name as Fix,  Hide and Blame that we see when sin first entered into the world in Genesis 3. The Tabernacle and Temple and the procedures that God put in place for both were ultimately to show us our need for a Savior. The Brazen Laver was a big bowl of water on wheels that the priests went to first to wash their hands before sacrificing the animal on the Holocaust altar. The bowl was made in such a way that the inner surface of the bowl was reflective. It is a representation for us of the need to recognize our own sin. The Holocaust altar represents the Cross. Jesus was that ultimate sacrifice for us all. We need only to put our sins now at the foot of the cross. Following this, the priests in their bloodied robes went to the Molten Sea which was like an above ground pool and they immersed themselves in the the waters with their bloodied robes. This represents the washing away of our sins and the cleansing of the Holy Spirit. After this, the priests would head up the steps to enter into the Sanctuary. They would go first through the door and into the rooms that were in the walls all around the Sanctuary and there they would change out of their wet robes and put on clean robes. This is a representation for us of taking off the old self and putting on the new self. These and more of how God instructed Moses and David to build the Tabernacle and the Temple aren't there as barriers but to speak to us of how to come before a holy God. Jesus ultimately took down the barrier of the curtain and made his chosen to be the temple of God. So, again the actual Tabernacle and Temple are not the barriers; we do that. 

How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God?  I have seen the difference just in having Communion. There is a formalness to it that takes away from the intimacy. With this pandemic and stay-at-home orders, my church has helped us to do our Communion at home. Every time, I feel the power and presence of God so much more because I am serving my family and they are serving me. Moving forward, I feel it is a mindset of knowing that those I serve as a deacon for Communion are all part of the Body of Christ and my family even if I don't know them as a person. I don't think any of our traditions keep us from intimacy but I do believe our sinful nature utilizes these to keep us from the true intimacy with God. We have to prepare ourselves for worship. 

In what sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb"? It given to us, this understanding and wisdom given to us by the Holy Spirit coming and living within us. We are the temple of God here on Earth but the true temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb. He's already given us a foretaste of what being in the presence of the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb will be like, if only we would take the steps needed by our very souls to go up into the Sanctuary each day and rest in His very presence. I eagerly anticipate the day when I will be in the presence of the Lord Almighty and the Lamb and see as my physical eyes see the Spirit of our Holy God and His Beloved Lamb. 

How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?

They became barriers between people and a holy God when the focus was on the outward preparation rather than heart preparation.Though the tabernacle was a step for God's people to communion with Him, yet it was not good enough because sin had not been atoned for, only priests could enter into the tabernacle and enjoy the glorious presence of God. Not all have direct communication with God.

How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God?

Our tradition can become a barrier for the Spirit to move in liberty and it may rob us from entering into full intimacy with God. We can be so structured by formula rather in tune with the Spirit.

In what sense do we understand that the “temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb”?

Is the dwelling place of God the Father and the Son.

Q. How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?

A. They did not allow direct access to the Lord God Almighty as only the priests had a sort of access Him.

Q. How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God?

A. They merely help us to imagine Who we worship but we cannot see Him directly.

Q. In w hat sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb"?

A. The presence of the Divine One, the Holy Trinity is physically manifested in the New Jerusalem where we meet Him directly.

IT is WONDERFUL to study and learn about all that OUR LORD GOD ALMIGHTY has done thru HIS SON to show us how much HE LOVES US....HOW can anyone neglect or reject SO GREAT A SALVATION.?..

Prayer

Father, sometimes the traditions of our faith have brought us reassurance of Your reality, but not the glorious immediacy of Your Presence. Help us move beyond the outward trappings of our faith to the Center, where all the structures fall away and there is just You. We draw near to You and to the Lamb. We seek You afresh today. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 21 Meditation (Revelation 21:22). How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God? How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God? In what sense do we understand that the “temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb”?

1. How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?

Both the Tabernacle and the Temple were off limits to all except the appointed and anointed priests chosen from specific tribes in Israel. They served as intermediaries between sinful man and Holy God, through offering the blood sacrifices brought to them for that purpose. Only the High Priest was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies once a year to sprinkle blood on the Mercy Seat covering the Ark of the Covenant for the corporate sin of the people.  It was all mysterious, but every part of both was a type or picture of our Lord Jesus that we now have the benefit of knowing and understanding from the Word of God.  

2. How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God?

Because they are corporate in nature, and the choir and prayers and sermons are conducted by go-betweens or intermediaries as in the Tabernacle and Temple of old. Other than singing together, it's mostly a production to see or observe, no matter how well it is planned. We need corporate worship to encourage one another and to fellowship and for teaching, but if that's all one does is go to church on Sunday, to the neglect of personal intimate time alone with Him in prayer, with our Bibles opened on our desk or lap, we may get to Heaven as a born again believer having only a second hand "relationship" having missed the sweetest and most rewarding part of life that we are here to experience and enjoy.

3. In what sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb?

Every part and aspect of the temple is a "picture" of our Lord God Almighty and the Lamb. We will then experience, know, feel in our hearts and emotions and with our new Heavenly eyes and ears all that we have been longing and hungering for here on earth!  I can hardly breathe when I try to imagine that day when we arrive....it's too wonderful and glorious to even try to imagine.....and to know that there will never be an end to being wrapped in His love and care! Even so, Come Lord Jesus!

I've thought about the Israelites seeing for the first time, the Ark of the Covenant held high on the priests shoulders, as they stood on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan river as they crossed over into the promised land. It had been hidden for 40 years, disguised and covered by badger skins in the tabernacle, (as Jesus glory was "hidden" from them by human skin) and now the sun was glistening blindingly on the pure gold, as every one had been instructed to keep their eyes focused on it as they crossed. I think that is a "type and shadow" for us. A picture of us seeing Him for the first time as He is, when we cross over into our eternal promised land. What a day that will be!!!!

We will no longer be denied full access to worship and to fellowship with our Lord and God. We will spend eternity as He intended for His children when He walked with Adam and Eve in the perfect environment of the Garden of Eden, face to face. 

How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God? 
How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God? 
In what sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb"? 

The Tabernacle and the Temple emphasized the presence of God in the midst of His people, and the layout was made to show the Israelites the way to approach God in worship. First there was the door of the outer court, then the altar of burnt offering, then the laver. After that the priests entered the Holy Place and the high priest entered the Most Holy Place where God manifested Himself. At the same time, the Holy Place and Most Holy Place emphasized God’s holiness and His inaccessibility (except the high priest once a year) due to the sins of the people. Christ's death on the cross gave us the privilege of access into the sanctuary of God for all believers (see Heb 10:19-22). Even the barrier between the Holy Place and Most Holy Place, was supernaturally torn in two (Matt 27:51; Mark 15:38; and Luke 23:45). The torn curtain symbolized that the way to God was now open to all through the death of Christ. The blood of an animal was no longer needed. 
Sometimes we get so involved in doing “church” and forget the reason we come to church – to worship Him, to praise Him, and to learn His Word. It is not done intentionally but if we don’t take care it may happen and interfere with our relationship with the Lord. It must not become a religion but must be a relationship. Loving our brothers and sisters, helping each other, holding each other accountable, and praying for each other. 
The blazing glory of the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb will fill the new heaven and new earth, there will therefore be no need for a temple. God will be everywhere so we do not have to go to a specific place to worship - no temple, cathedral, church, chapel, or any other house of worship. We will be constantly in His presence (cf. 21:3).   

Day 21 Meditation (Revelation 21:22). How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?

The Tabernacle in the wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem created various barriers between the people and a holy God. The courtyard and the vail to the Holy Place and the Veil to the Holy of Holies   except the priests and those offering sacrifice; and excepted the high priest once a year,

Traditional forms of Christian worship have its place such as foundation in Godly moral and principal. However, nothing can take the place of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit within the congregation.

In what sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb"?

My understanding is that the temple is with the saints of God in the city He created for us. No longer barriers separating the us as the Temple is God and the Lamb that have taken away the sin of the world.

The Tabernacle in the wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God by requiring certain conditions before one was allowed to present themself to God.  On the cross, the sacrifical Lamb did away with all of that.  We can now go boldly before our Holy God.

Our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God by the requirements of denominations and church rules.

In what sense do we understand that the “temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb”?

We understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb" because there will be nothing between us and God. There is no temple any longer -- no need for separations of holiness -- for he has made us all holy before him. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  The barriers were The Courtyard and the Veil to the Holy Place( they could only be entered in by the priests), and The Holy of Holies (where only the High Priest could enter in) and that only once a year.  The people could not enter in. The sacrifices offered covered sins but did not take them away and had to be done yearly, over and over again.  But the sacrifice of Christ on the cross is designed to remove the barriers between God and man.  "Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed his last. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom." (Mark 15:37-38)  Surely, the meaning of this is that Jesus opens the way to the very presence of God. Access to God is our gift and privilege, even now.

b.  Churches sometimes get into a rut with forms and programs.  Doing the same things over and over again do not bring Life. We cannot have intimacy with God through man's ideas.  We need to let the Holy Spirt have His way.   We are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who is Life.  The Holy Spirit is our teacher and reveals Christ to us and through the Holy Spirit we can have intimacy with God.

c. In the Old Testament,  there were physical temples, in the New Testament, we are the Temple of the Holy Ghost and in the New Jerusalem, there is no temple any longer for the temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb, and there is no need for separations of holiness, for he has made us all holy before him and we will forever be with Him.  

On 6/12/2020 at 3:03 AM, JanMary said:

1. How did the Tabernacle in the Wilderness and the Temple in Jerusalem create barriers between the people and a holy God?

Both the Tabernacle and the Temple were off limits to all except the appointed and anointed priests chosen from specific tribes in Israel. They served as intermediaries between sinful man and Holy God, through offering the blood sacrifices brought to them for that purpose. Only the High Priest was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies once a year to sprinkle blood on the Mercy Seat covering the Ark of the Covenant for the corporate sin of the people.  It was all mysterious, but every part of both was a type or picture of our Lord Jesus that we now have the benefit of knowing and understanding from the Word of God.  

2. How can our traditional forms of Christian worship keep us from full intimacy with God?

Because they are corporate in nature, and the choir and prayers and sermons are conducted by go-betweens or intermediaries as in the Tabernacle and Temple of old. Other than singing together, it's mostly a production to see or observe, no matter how well it is planned. We need corporate worship to encourage one another and to fellowship and for teaching, but if that's all one does is go to church on Sunday, to the neglect of personal intimate time alone with Him in prayer, with our Bibles opened on our desk or lap, we may get to Heaven as a born again believer having only a second hand "relationship" having missed the sweetest and most rewarding part of life that we are here to experience and enjoy.

3. In what sense do we understand that the "temple is the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb?

Every part and aspect of the temple is a "picture" of our Lord God Almighty and the Lamb. We will then experience, know, feel in our hearts and emotions and with our new Heavenly eyes and ears all that we have been longing and hungering for here on earth!  I can hardly breathe when I try to imagine that day when we arrive....it's too wonderful and glorious to even try to imagine.....and to know that there will never be an end to being wrapped in His love and care! Even so, Come Lord Jesus!

I've thought about the Israelites seeing for the first time, the Ark of the Covenant held high on the priests shoulders, as they stood on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan river as they crossed over into the promised land. It had been hidden for 40 years, disguised and covered by badger skins in the tabernacle, (as Jesus glory was "hidden" from them by human skin) and now the sun was glistening blindingly on the pure gold, as every one had been instructed to keep their eyes focused on it as they crossed. I think that is a "type and shadow" for us. A picture of us seeing Him for the first time as He is, when we cross over into our eternal promised land. What a day that will be!!!!

We will no longer be denied full access to worship and to fellowship with our Lord and God. We will spend eternity as He intended for His children when He walked with Adam and Eve in the perfect environment of the Garden of Eden, face to face. 

Thanks Jan Mary for the insight on the Ark of the Covenant being seen by the people as they crossed the waters. Never thought of this aspect before.  

• 3 weeks later...

Both the temple and tabernacle had two areas that could only entered by the priests and the high priest himself. However the tabernacle and temple was separated into sections for where the women and men could worship the Lord freely. Also the courtyard was another barrier as well as the Veil to the Holy Place which led to the Holy of Holies. But they had to give sacrifices yearly since it did not take away their sins. It was not until Jesus died and tore the veil in two that we were able to access the Holy of Holies. 

When churches get in ruts with programs, music or even saying that certain spiritual gifts are no longer in existence that things go stale and we learn that God wants something more from us and our worship. The Lord is the Lamb of God and we are the Temple of the Holy Spirit. 

The courtyard, curtains, made certain only the few qualified could enter into God's presence. That served as a physical, emotional, relational separation.

We can fix our eyes on the songs, pastor, message or whether it was "a good service" instead of fixing our eyes on Jesus. Makes us feel better, but danger of not following Jesus closely if not focused on Him.

We will be in the presence of the One we worship. Anything else will be distracting, not enhancing our relationship and worship of God.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lord and the Lamb are the Temple..  So how do your people recognize it as being distinct from the dwellings of others?  It must be made of something that the followers value and long for.  His place breaks down walls/barriers.  There are walls between different groups of people in a Church.  Walls prevent people from entering.

The Tabernacle in the Wilderness was movable.  The Temple in Jerusalem had real walls.  Instructions were given by God on how to build them.  

What are the people outside the walls of the Church trying to destroy?  What kind of power are they looking for?  We live in this world day by day and are looking for a place to go to.  .