JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

5. Help

Pastor Ralph

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124). Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? Even from danger from yourself? How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you? What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

• 1 month later...

The first day of the week(Sunday)...Resurrection Day...

How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you? What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?.....(Every "born again" believer)....A "prayerful" edit)....Everyone should be an object of our love and mercy..

Matthew 22:36-40 King James Version 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.38 This is the first and great commandment.39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

God’s choice is not unique to Jeremiah; it is true for every believer. This is known as the doctrine of divine election. “You did not choose me,” Jesus said to his disciples, “but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit” (John 15:16). “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. . . . For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight” (Ephesians 1:3-4). This promise is for the whole church. Therefore, it is for the comfort of every Christian. God not only knows us, he chose us; and he did so long before we were ever conceived.

My identity does not begin when I begin to understand myself. There is something previous to what I think about myself, and it is what God thinks of me. That means that everything I think and feel is by nature a response, and the one to whom I respond is God. I never speak the first word. I never make the first move. Jeremiah’s life didn’t start with Jeremiah. Jeremiah’s salvation didn’t start with Jeremiah. Jeremiah’s truth didn’t start with Jeremiah. He entered the world in which the essential parts of his existence were already ancient history. So do we.1Every Christian has a calling. There is a general call, of course, to believe in Jesus Christ. But everyone who believes in Christ also has a special calling to a particular sphere of obedience and ministry. Jeremiah was not just set apart for salvation, he was set apart for vocation. God had work for him to do. The prophet had a mission to accomplish and a message to deliver to his generation.https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/jeremiah-answering-the-call.html

I think that the circumstance that I have seen God deliver me from danger was while I was in Algeria. We worked at an oil refinery but lived in a compound and the Lord watched over to keep us safe. I don’t have any explanation for God’s love for me. He loves us all but we have to believe in Him.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124). Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? Even from danger from yourself? How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you? What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

1. When I was beaten with razor strap and told "I'm going to kill you! I'm going to beat you to death!" "I'm going to beat you until you can't walk" the first time at age 4. It was my mother who'd had a terrible fright. Later on it was my father who used fists. But even though I didn't know the Lord until I was 30, He protected me from serious injury during those times. I did suffer emotional scars and PTSD,  but He has been doing a gradual healing in those areas over the years. I mentioned in an earlier post about being spared from death  in a rollover car crash in a blinding rainstorm. The police officer who rescued us told me before taking us to the hospital, how fortunate we were to miss crashing into the cement abutment by a short distance where a man was killed the week before in a similar accident. Also in an earlier post about being spared while alone in my car in a wilderness area, much like verse 7 describes....from the trap of a fowler's snare. This time Holy Spirit warned me beforehand and told me to "GO NOW" and I'd learned to hear His voice and immediately started to leave.

Several of my brothers committed suicide by shooting themselves in the head with guns, and though at times I thought about it myself, the Lord sent help to comfort and encouraged me to live. I'm so thankful to Him for His mercy and grace for the many blessings, and for saving me from myself!

2. The only explanation is that our God is a merciful, Father, who IS LOVE.  Eph 1 & Colossians 1,2 tell me He knew and loved me, even imagined me before He created me, chose me and called me to be His own...before  the foundation of the world was formed and eons before I was born. That love protected me through all the years of abuse, then Holy Spirit wooed me and introduced me to Jesus, (John 16,17) and when I said Yes to Him, I became His beloved daughter forever. His love shown me, helped me to forgive my parents who didn't know Him and were abused themselves. (Hurting people hurt people!) He sent a young woman to share Christ with me, and who invited me to a Bible study (I didn't want to go.....she asked many times until I said "yes") I went through 10 years of Bible Study Fellowship, and will always be thankful to her and for that amazing Bible study and later for the many years in a 12-step program/ Bible study where my emotional healing began. And for the past number of years for the many Pastor Wilson's amazing, fulfilling, challenging, encouraging studies! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing each one. 

3. One abuser later in my life who abandoned, neglected and abused me, and whom I forgave years ago, but who does not yet know the Lord. I pray for him to come to know our precious Lord and Savior. Though he did much harm, I pray for the same mercy and grace and forgiveness for him which I have received. He lives in another state and I'm asking the Lord to send someone to tell him about Jesus, just as He sent Ann to me when I was "wandering in the desert, lost with no place to turn" and now am found and forever secure in His love.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124). Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? I've been repeatedly attacked in the night by a rapist who has been stalking me for the last 7 years. In the past, I woke up to  find that my arm had been broken, bruises were on my body, hairs pulled out. My tooth was also broken.  Since I've been praying for deliverance, I know that my God Yahweh put a shield of protection around me to prevent the attacker from causing further serious injuries to my body.  He also puts his angels on duty to make sure that no harm comes to me.   

Even from danger from yourself? How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you?   I think as children of LORD Almighty, we are very much deserving of His love because we are His creations and as such, we look to Him to help us and keep us. I might think I was undeserving if I was sinning against my Most High God, and being disobedient to His laws. But on the contrary, I'm a person that reveres the God's laws and as such I adhere to them closely. I take pride in having contributed positively to the well being of my fellow neighbors and I believe God sees in me a person of good character who deserves helping, keeping and loving. 

What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy? Since only God can judge others, I will not answer this question on mercy. I will say that love should be reserved for family, friends and spouses.  All others who cross your path can be shown respect, as much as you deem them worthy of it. At the end of the day, respect and love are earned.

a.  In my marriage of 23 yrs. I suffered from many years of abuse by my husband - verbal and physical. The Lord protected me in many ways and made a way for me to escape, by him meeting someone he wanted to marry, so we were divorced.  God gave me the ability  to forgive him and even erased some of the bad memories from my mind.

b.& c.  I thank God for saving me when I was 35 and showing me how much He loved me and the experience he gave me to let me be established in that truth. Coming from a bad marriage that was not love, God showed me what love really was.  

d. My Daughter in law comes to mind, which I am working on.  Help me Lord.

Dr. Wilson - Thank you for these heart rendering questions  that make you look deep within your soul.

When I think of the many times when I was young and drinking and running around I am so thankul for his protection and safety. There were many times when I was drinking that I asked the Lord to help me. I didn't want Him to come back when my mind was not clear. Even in my sins he heard and protected me. I thank Him for bringing me to  this place in my life. He is my potector and my Savior.

When I was younger He kept me from drowning and He kept me from being raped.

He kept me from becoming addicted to drugs and He protected me and this family in another car when I had an accident and it was my fault.

He loved me so much that He did not want me to die and go to hell. Instead He send His Son down to die in my place.

Sue because of how she treats me and she always wants to be in control.

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124). Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? Even from danger from yourself? How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you? What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

1) 2 severe car accidents that my son & I walked away from without injury.

2) He saved me from my own reckless & irresponsible thinking & behaviors. Behaviors that resulted in my physical health problems and sickness to my soul. Behaviors that caused emotional harm to others, especially my husband & sons. 

3) His saving grace thru His son, Jesus Christ. That He would still love me after I had abandoned Him and after I was so full of pride...I never gave God credit for saving my life and my son from the 1st car accident. I said it was the type of car I was driving! He patiently waited & loved me until I finally came back to Him with heart-felt sorrow & remorse. I am so grateful to have Jesus central in my life!

4) Myself. I must learn to love myself and see myself as Christ sees me--clothed in the robe of His righteousness. As He has been merciful to me, so I must be merciful to myself and others.

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124). 
Think back on your own life. 
In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? 
Even from danger from yourself? 
How do you explain God's undeserved love toward you? 
What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy? 

I was involved in an armed robbery nearly 12 years ago. I walked into a supermarket, and unbeknown to me they were being held up by a gang of armed robbers. I was forced to lie on my stomach with a gun held to my head. After being robbed of my wallet and credit cards I was kicked in the side. 
During this time, I experienced the most amazing peace and calmness that I cannot describe. It was as if the Lord Jesus Himself was there to protect me. Even thinking about it today stirs up emotions in me of gratitude and praise for my Lord Jesus Christ. As Dr Ralph would say, I was definitely on God’s side! I would say we can become a danger to ourselves if we make hasty decisions without first consulting our Heavenly Father. This has happened to me once, with serious consequences. But I can say I learnt my lesson. I can’t explain God’s undeserved love to me. The fact that He elected me before creation is difficult to explain. There is nothing that I did or can do to justify this. It is 100% grace. We read in 1 Peter 1:3-5, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” We only need to think about what God has done for us in Christ Jesus, who has given us new life and a living hope that lives on. What a Saviour! What a Heavenly Father! No matter what trials or persecution we may face, we know that we will spend eternity with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! 

When I look back on my life I can remember a number of times where I took risks and did foolish things. I was fortunate in that I got away without any consequences, and I now know that it was because the Lord was protecting me. At the time I didn’t really have much interest in God. I didn’t realize just how important He was. I was forty before I became a Christian although I was brought up in a religious home. These situations were all my own doing, being with bad company, being irresponsible at work, just once! 

I do not know why I have been chosen by God to be loved by Him! I know I don’t deserve His love.But because of His great  love I have been saved by grace, through faith, not from myself, It is a gift of God, not by works so no one can boast. Ephesians 2v8.

There is one person that I can pray for who  has not hurt me directly but has hurt my daughter and grandchildren and continues to do so. It hurts me as I can’t do anything about it but I do feel very anti him . I have to continually confess my sin and frustration to the Lord. 

Looking back, I truly believe God delivered me from a very dangerous situation.  One evening I was about to leave home to attend Bible school. I had my house keys, car key, and some scrap of garbage to drop in the bin at the gate, in my hands.  I do not know how it happened, but the car key ended up in the bin.  After looking around for, and eventually finding a piece of stick long enough, I was able to fish the key out of the garbage bin.  I finally left home and was driving along the route to my destination.  About two or three minutes away from where I was going, a small group of people had gathered, including the principal and a few of the Bible school students.  I stopped and asked what had happened. I was told that a neighbourhood shopkeeper had just been shot by one of two strange men who then got in their car and drove off.  On asking a couple of pertinent questions, I came to the conclusion, and the BS principal, who had called 911, agreed with me, that hadn't my key fallen into that bin I might have been at that place at the time or just in time to see the shooters walking away from the victim and probably be able to identify them.  You see my car is low, my wheels are size 13, and the stretch of road in front of the shop has some terrible potholes, so I usually almost crawl along there. Could have been dangerous.

I have no explanation for God's undeserved love toward me other than to say that He is love.  That is His nature. He is love and so He loves me.  I am aware that I don't deserve it, but I am so,so grateful for it.

Well I do have a sister-in-law who for along time verbally abused me almost daily -  we lived in the same house at the time.  I do not hate her, but I don't trust her and my husband told me not to.  She is his sister.   We talk to each other now, and sometimes she would call on the phone to talk with me, even to ask for favours.  It shouldn't be hard to love and be merciful to her because I do know that God used that situation to teach me to be a better person.  I asked Him one day why I had to go through that and immediately He said that if I didn't go through I would not be able to help others. So now I have some work to do, for you see I have never thought of her and love together.

Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? Even from danger from yourself?

I have not experienced any physical danger, Praise God!  However, I know that I could have been in danger many times and the Lord saw fit to keep me.  My prayer is always continue to keep your protective covering over me.  During the COVID-19, I have had many emotional days with thoughts of not wanting to live.  God comforts me through yet another day!

How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you?

He gave his only begotten son to die for our sins.  of your love and mercy?

How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you? What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

The climate we live in today, as an African American, I would have to say those that discriminate against me.  

Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others?

Never any real physical danger from others, other than maybe on a football field at times.

Even from danger from yourself?

Made some silly decisions. One day I was repairing a wall above a high ceiling and window when the ladder slipped and finished against the window with my full weight on the window. Somehow I got down and didn't tumble through a shattered window. Who knows what could have happened? But God!

How do you explain God’s undeserved love toward you?

He is my creator, my Father. I'm a father, I understand His love to His child.

What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

Noone is undeserving, but if anyone does who has affected my life is a wolf in sheep's clothing who talked me into running a charity for affordable housing with me, who walked away with a lot of other people's money, including mine. Funnily, I have never felt badly towards him, but instead I feel sorry for him, hence mercy. It's just something that's part of me, by God's grace and love.

For me I can think of the times when I was helping out the ministry I created with my team members and there were people who directly intended to hurt me and the Lord caused them to become ill because of what they had done to me or someone I knew. I also can remember times when I wasn't close to God yet the Lord was looking out for me and rescued me. The danger from myself would be the many times I did something I should have known better not to do. Yet time and again would do anyway. But upon the Lord's admonishment I realized my error and came back to Him. I can only explain it as unmerited favor since the Lord chose to die for me while I was in my sins. My aunt since she caused me pain.

Day 5 Meditation (Psalm 124).

Q. Think back on your own life. In what circumstances have you seen God deliver you from danger from others? Even from danger from yourself? How do you explain God's undeserved love toward you?

A. Several circumstances where the Lod God was there to deliver me from  a) Armed robbers, b) from street rioters etc I can clearly look back and see how God was there to deliver me in these circumstances and many more. Lord I thank you and appreciate You for your faithfulness. 

Q. What undeserving person comes to mind who can be the object of your love and mercy?

A. My sister in law and her children who show open acts of hostility against me for unjustified reasons

On 7/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I have seen Him deliver me from dangerous illnesses, motor vehicle accidents, and danger in swift river currents.  He has spared me from being hunted by people up till now.

He has delivered me from poor and foolish choices where I have endangered myself.

His grace is the only explanation.  I am not deserving of it.

I will ask God to show me who I need to extend mercy to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

What comes to mind is my battle I had for years with the addiction to ***********, and how the Lord delivered me from that, and set me free -  The Lord brought key people into my life that helped me, and renewed me, my wife, my pastor, my Christian friend and counselor, and my close Christian friends.  Above all the love of the Lord and the delivering power of the Holy Spirit.  Currently I am mentoring a friend of mine who became a Christian a few years ago, who is slowly working through many of life's addictions.  I pray for the wisdom in counseling, praying with him, and helping him to be set free from these addictions, and to grow in Christ. 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When I look back on my life, I realise that God has kept me safe from perils I did not recognise as being so. I have learned now to thank Him for every little unexpected help that comes my way. 

Only God knows every person's thoughts and motives, so it's hard to comment on why some people who claim to be die-hard athiests have personal saving encounters, where they cannot but admit it was the Hand of God, and why some who are committed Christians (atleast as one can see) don't have these encounters. Why some non believers have miraculous recoveries from deadly illnesses and some believers do not.

I have had a number of saves I can say; but the one that still leaves me shaking is being saved from being put behind bars in Abu Dhabi while I had two very young children as my husband had been carrying drugs to the country for when he travelled for duty which was a month on/month off schedule. Because of harrassment from his mother, I had insisted we go with him on the next trip and stay there not knowing that he had been carrying drugs. He was caught and jailed on the trip prior to the one we were to leave with him. Till date, it's hard for me to comprehend the complete lack of any sense of family well being and the responsibility as father and husband to protect his own. That it could have been me with 2 young kids unsuspecting of any malfeasance is a nightmare even today even though this happened two decades ago.

I know without a doubt that it was Gods mercy that saved us. 

However he shoukd have received more than the 4 years he got, which I believe was also the Hand of God. Though he would write letters claiming that he now knows 'The Almighty' and he would never do anything that went against God, the first day he was released, he wanted to go out and have his drugs again. He is now earning very well in another ME country and is in a bigamous marriage. He continues deflect responsibility for all his actions and has become no better after his jail term. So God's mercy seems to have given him a sense of entitlement. 

Its hard to say why God helps some and not others from a human perspective. He knows best why He does. Its best to keep in His Word at all times as best as one can.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to make enquiries concerning admissions at a state university. The street in front of the school was a one way street. As I made to leave, I was looking in the direction of oncoming traffic. When it was clear, I stepped on to the street to cross to the other side of the road, not realizing a car was driving against traffic heading in my direction from behind.

As I stepped on to the street, I hit something that felt like a hard invisible surface, that stopped me in my tracks - like walking into a transparent glass door. Then a strong force pushed me backwards in the direction I was coming from. The second I was in the clear, a red car filled with people sped past! If I had not stepped back, that car would have cleared me off the road!

It was at a bus stop, so the place was a bit crowded. I stood still for a while, but was very shaken. I looked around for I-don't-know-what. Nobody seemed to have noticed anything amiss. I kept staring in front of me to see if I could make out the trace of some invisible surface or something. But, nothing! That's when it dawned on me that life is actually deep; and surely it must have been my guardian angle that had just saved me from being hit. Possibly from death! It's one of my close shave experiences I still think about to this day... It just had to have been God's mercy!

Relatives who display entitlement mentality without contributing to the relationship can really get under one's skin. Sometimes it's a struggle to overlook certain things. But we try.

• 5 months later...

" A little to personal " 

I can say this - Father has delivered me from danger so many time, not only from myself but several others. He is our Father, our protector. We abandoned him, while he stays trying to save us.  I've put myself in danger, trying to run away from other dangers, but he has been there, helping me over come every struggle in my life and that is a fact. 

• 1 year later...

I know the Lord has delivered me from danger many times in my life. I can think of so many times I drove under the influence, worse yet with other people in my car. There were two occasions when I was younger and made foolish decisions that have cost other young people their lives. One example is while I was traveling from MS to FL, I connected with a trucker and his passenger. They invited me to a party in FL and I was going to go with them. Worse yet, I allowed the passenger to drive my car while I road in the truck with a total stranger, just to experience it. When he started pulling out *********** and suggesting sex, I knew I was in trouble, but I managed to escape when we stopped at a truck stop. I think I'm lucky to be alive. Saving me from danger of myself was when I tried to commit suicide at 15 years old and the Lord saved me. There's no explanation how I did not die or at least end up in the hospital. He has watched over me and loved me. I am indebted to His protection. I felt convicted today to pray for my President of whom our beliefs are 180 from each other. Every decision he makes, every time he speaks makes me cringe. But I'm praying for the deception to fall from his eyes and that salvation enters his house today, that he will repent from his ungodly decisions and make things right.