JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

10. Afflicted

Pastor Ralph

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129). Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”? How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression? Have you been able to forgive? If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129). Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”? How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression? Have you been able to forgive? If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?

Psalm 129. Afflicted but Not Defeated..very appropriate on this 9/11 anniversary....

Remembering 9/11

I would say (afflictions) have been a part of my entire life..(starting in the Garden of Eden)..No I don't mean I was there, but I was born with original sin.I was spiritually delivered when I was born again...born from above...Forgiveness

Bitterness disappears when LOVE shows up...(and you let LOVE in)

Carnal forgiveness (with scars) is often beyond reach in this life..Spiritual forgiveness (by HIS stripes we are healed) makes ALL things possible...the Apostle Paul had a lot to say about this..("I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live, JESUS CHRIST, now lives in me")..but his body in this life still had the scars..and I might add JESUS had a reason for the nailed scarred hands and side in HIS resurrected body....In our flesh, without the righteousness of JESUS CHRIST...unforgivenss and "cursings" ,not blessings, will continue to the bitter end....Just observe politics in the United States today and around the world and especially in the Middle East, and it goes without saying that until JESUS rules on the earth or in the heart of every man/woman/child ..these "conflicts" will continue..

As a child I found it very hard to please my mother. I

was always in trouble, my work before school was not done to her satisfaction so it had to be repeated. I was often late for school, consequently I was in trouble in school. I was the eldest of seven children so I had a lot of responsibility. My teenage years were a nightmare. I was always in trouble I tried my best to do all I was asked but it just never seemed to make my mum happy! 
Icouldnt wait to leave home. It was wonderful to have freedom from housework etc. I always felt angry towards my mum. I looked forward to going home for holidays but it was always much the same.  Although I realized my sisters had the responsibility now but Mum never was so hard on them as she was with me. At this time I was not a Christian. Years passed I got married and had my own three children and gave them a different upbringing but still made mistakes. During this time I became a Christian and my heart softened towards my Mum. She became ill. With dementia my sister was trying to look after her but her children were younger than mine so I took leave from my job and went to live with her for ten months, my husband was very understanding and agreed to this. We lived a three hour journey away. I believe the Lord gave me this time with my Mum. It was a healing special time. It was not an easy time but a time of my being enabled by the Lord to show love and caring to the one person who caused me so much hurt anxiety and low self esteem. I could not have done it without God’s wonderful grace. After this time my Mum was admitted to a nursing home, it was getting more difficult to do 24/7 as she was up night and day. Also my husband was really feeling my absence, so I went home. I visited mum every third weekend , my sisters and I had a rota so someone visited every day. We were now 4 hours away from each other. This time continued to be a time of healing as I had no work to do just time spent, sitting talking, pampering her. We also could go into the garden, in her wheelchair. It was a very precious extension of time given to me by the Lord. 
This time enabled me to better understand my mum and to be able to forgive her by God’s Grace. 

Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction?

I would have to say my wife leaving me the day after my mum's funeral, after 28 years of a peaceful marriage born of God. I was at my lowest, yet 4 weeks later I was renewed and 8 weeks later my life had changed dramatically. I struggle a little with what happened but it was in God's plan that I meet and fall in love with my new wife, I love both, but my first wife shortly after died from the sudden onset of pancreatic cancer. I know now it was God's plan and though there's been many battles these past 8 years I am now in a place in my relationship with God with my new marriage that would not have happened in my first marriage. The struggles and challenges these past 8 years have hastened my growth in faith, much more than my previous 28 years as a born again Christian.

Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”?

A wolf in sheep's clothing! Charismatic, bigger than life, generous, seemingly a 'Christian' but after he disappeared I found out he was a super criminal. Thank God I kept my faith and integrity and he soon disappeared!

How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression?

Absolutely! Thank God I'm not one to hold a grudge or bitterness, but to quickly forgive and continue to love those who afflicted me. I take a bigger picture view of life and note we are all imperfect. Who's to say one thing is worse than another? There is no value in bitterness or holding a grudge.

Have you been able to forgive?

Thankfully, yes I am quick to forgive, for at times I have been truly stretched. Only. by the grace of God.

If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?

Stop thinking about yourself and consider the other

I have been fortunate to have not suffered from the hands of others. My enemy is myself. My nervous system is damaged. I vividly remember the doctor telling me I would never walk again. As I sat in the wheelchair looking out the window, I felt an overwhelming sense of despair. My life as I had known it was over. I couldn't walk, I couldn't use my hands to even grip a pen, I couldn't work and had no friends.The bitterness & self-hatred consumed me. My alcoholism which caused my disability continued to oppress me. But God gave me hope and helped me to recover partially--enough so I could function.

Then one day, God removed the craving for alcohol and the obsession to drink. That was a miracle. Then He showed me a program of recovery. That was almost 2yrs ago. Since that time, I have remained sober. I have come to know & accept Jesus as my Lord & Savior. I came back to Him, like the prodigal son. 

When I look back 7yrs ago in my wheelchair, I could never have imagined my life as it is now: full of hope & joy, friendships & family. God places people on my path, gives me opportunities to be of service to others and has given me a renewed sense of purpose for my life.

Because of God's love for me and His grace, I am beginning to forgive myself. I am able to let go of the past and place my trust in Him. Do I still struggle with self-love & self-forgiveness? Of course, but gratitude & acceptance, along with prayer keep me close to God's will for me.

When we are in an affliction and we finally get out of it we don’t always think that it was God that has done that for us. So yes, I have been in an affliction and God has always brought me out of it even though I thought that I did it on my own. For the bitterness that comes from oppression I have always tried to look at the humors side of it and tried to joke about it. I think I have always been able to forgive it just takes some time. In some cases taking time means it could be a year of two.

Have you been able to forgive?  My sister and I bore grudges as children, right into adult hood.  Nothing I did would please her.  When my mother died a few years ago  and her husband was a very sick man, my sister and I by the grace of God forgave each other for our foolish ways.  Sadly, my sister died suddenly last year and my heart felt at peace.  I have no regrets. One way or another.  I know Our God put it in our hearts to forgive.  It's a wonderful feeling when love takes over!

On 7/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Yes, He has definitely on numerous occasions as well as from the "cords of the wicked". 

From affliction,  years of chronic sinus pain and sore throats...My Dr. pointed out that years of suppressed anger and the inability to speak up were the cause. Discovering that was the Lord's avenue for my healing, she also helped me to "find my voice" and encouraged me to keep a journal.  Later I learned from  Christian Psychologist, H. Norm Wright, that anger is a powerful energy force that if left to swirl around in the body, is the cause of many diseases....so I learned to write about my ANGER....and he was correct! The anger actually comes out through the pen or pencil onto the paper and is released, making forgiveness much easier to extend! (I prayed for years for healing not realizing  that the sinus/sore throats were just a symptom of a deeper "illness". (as children, we were never allowed to show or express anger....only my parents could do that, and combined with some very incorrect Bible teaching that anger is a sin. (It's what we do with the anger that becomes sinful, and suppressing and trying to ignore it, or turning it inward is  harming ourselves!)

2. Cords of Wickedness: Having been molested as a child, I was tormented by memories, as the enemy does, and later I was frequently in normal places like the tennis courts, and chasing a stray ball, and would be confronted by a man exposing himself, and on too many other occasions, which need no further mention. It took a deep "cutting of those cords" by our Jesus, to be set free from the "shame" of having been exposed to such things, and from the  shame of having  witnessed them. (The shame belongs to the offender, not to the victim who witnessed the demented behavior. "Cutting the cord" removed the stigma of having witnessed those sickening and frightening traumas.)

3. Oppression: The  most painful event required some maturing in my young faith back in the day, to realize oppression is from the pit of hell, and is not to be tolerated! I appreciate that Jesus gave us His authority to deal with oppression. (It was an "ah ha" moment when I happened upon a  3 foot long dead snake, belly up.....and heard Holy Spirit say: That's how much power Satan has. NONE! You are to take authority over his attacks and no longer tolerate them.

4. Before I learned that lesson, I was viciously attacked by a "friend" in a group, who came after me with a vengeance when I failed to go along with a plan she suggested that was not a healthy thing for our group and saw me as the enemy! She in turn tried to turn everyone in the group against me...life long friends, and for several months, they were caught up in the chaos and confusion, and I felt abandoned. I did feel bitter and betrayed, actually physically ill from grief for several months. I kept praying and asking for help and wisdom and as the Lord "righted the ship" so to speak, others recognized what had "hit" us....and she left the group....but  I was left with bitterness and soul sickness. I have to say it took me some years to be totally free from all of the fallout. But I kept bringing it before the Lord and one day I wept FOR her instead of praying  ABOUT her, and I was finally "cleansed of the ugliness" and pain. 

5. Forgiveness is a gift, I believe. A way of letting go of hurts. (of stopping "drinking poison hoping the offender will die!"). When I think of all that our Jesus has forgiven me, I no longer want to hold onto the betrayal, or sins of another toward me. I heard a story about ancient times where when one committed a murder, the dead body was strapped to the murderer and was forced to carry the stinking corpse on their body. I don't know if that's true but to carry "CRUD" in my heart has the same effect....toxicity and revulsion. I'm quick to forgive (after writing about how angry and hurt I am in my journal) and to let go of the offense...thank you for this gift, Jesus! And thank you that as Micah 7:19 says, "You buried my sins in the deepest part of the ocean" and Corrie Ten Boom reminds us that He then puts out a "No Fishing" sign!"  (Offering a blessing takes some time for me...but it does come)

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129). 
Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? 
Or perhaps from "the cords of the wicked"? 
If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing? 

Yes, in a business deal gone wrong. When I discovered the amount of money they were stealing. It was only prayer that got me through this difficult time. I was taught a lesson not to get involved with unbelievers. At the same time to stick to my profession and not to branch out into the unknown. Let’s be honest it’s not easy to forgive, and it took me years to forgive them.  

On 7/19/2020 at 12:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes, when God delivered me from the pain of unforgiveness.  It had to do with inheritance when my Mom died.  Having arguments with my niece because I was the daughter and everyone was telling me I had more rights than she.  I believed them and was miserable.  Unforgiveness and bitterness will do that.  At the time, on Christian radio, there was a song titled, "Seventy times Seven". I kept hearing that song every time I turned the radio on.  Finally, I said Okay Lord , I know you are speaking to me.  I called my niece and told her to come over and we embraced.  I/We were healed of that terrible pain unforgiveness brings. Things are better than before and I have love and compassion for her.  After forgiveness and my obeying the Lord, I have never heard that song again.  Peace and love took the place of unforgiveness.  

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129). Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”? My LORD, my God fights for me, and He never fails. I believe that deliverance is imminent; I'll be on the lookout for the hand of my Warrior God Yahweh who will hand deliver me out of my captivity.  I look forward to victory any day now.

How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression? Have you been able to forgive? If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?  I try to deal with my anger by praying to God often, and leaning upon His guidance. Knowing that my LORD, my God is a God of Justice, I know that He will vindicate me so I don't feel the need to take any action against my enemies.  Scripture says, "Your LORD will fight for you. All you need to do is stay at peace."  So I'm comfortable waiting on my God to prevail on my behalf.

The anger I feel towards my enemies is fresh and not likely to fade anytime soon unless they stop attacking me. Justice needs to be served in order to stop these relentless attackers. That means seeing them face prison time, and/or capital punishment.  Then eventually I'll be able to forgive some of my enemies but that can only happen when I can see true repentance and regret on their part. I say "some" because there are enemies that caused me more physical and permanent harm than others.  Forgiveness is a gift, it isn't automatic and not everyone is entitled to it, nor is everyone required to forgive. You have to earn it by accepting due punishment, repenting, and paying the price for the injuries they caused.

The blessings will not come from me, as I am not the judge. It is up to God Almighty.

When I was teased and bullied in school. He eventually had me and my parents move to a different school where I made some friends and found a good church and a Christian family.

Yes, when my former boss harassed me and the administrator was her best buddy. I did not say anything but endured it. In the end I had to quit my job there because she had people report back to her what I said. A year later I heard the place was in trouble and had to close and later my former boss died. I knew it was God who avenged me for what I went through there. I had put my whole heart and soul into the job and she just used me up. 

I had to give it over to God and forgive the ones who hurt me and I have to do it more than once when it comes to my mind.

An older sister of my husband lived with us for eleven years and she verbally abused me almost daily for about seven or more of those years.  I pretended that it did not bother me but it was awful.   About three times I told my husband about a few particular incidents without placing too much emphasis on them.  He eventually found out and told her off, but that didn't stop her.  One day the Lord told me to apologize to her.  It was very hard, but I did.  Then He told me to just praise Him.  From that time things began to change.  The abuse did not stop but God began to bless me openly.  It was like He was "preparing a table before me in the presence of my enemy."  He also gave me strength to be calm in the situation.  It came to an end when my husband and I decided to rebuild our house.  In the process everyone had to move.  She left to go stay with another sister.  When she was leaving she told me to my face that she was coming back.  She said it in such a way as to make me understand that, 'don't think I am finished with you'.  Before then, I had asked the Lord to let her get her own place to live, and told my husband that I didn't want her living with us anymore. He said to me that she had nowhere else to live and that she couldn't live on her own - a big woman, about five years older than him, who had been working and taking care of herself for years.    Anyway, when the builders handed over the house, I moved in - my husband was working and living in the city.   Very often I would go into the room he had prepared for her and pray and declare in the name of Jesus that she was not coming to live there.  After I had been in my new home for about a year, my husband said to me that she told him that she was ready to come home and he told her 'no', to stay where she was, which was not with her sister anymore but by herself.  That is one time I see God cut "the cords of the wicked" and delivered me from the affliction of a vitriolic tongue.

I have no idea how I was freed from such bitterness other than it had to be God.  I did speak to my leaders at church who prayed with me.  Another thing that I used to do when we lived together, was pray that God would bless her.  I asked the Lord to bless her bountifully.  All I wanted in return was her out of my home ?.

I have forgiven her and moved on.  We speak to each other today as though there was never any friction between us.  She came to my home a couple of times, but I do not want her as a live-in companion, not again?.  I am thankful that I do not hate or resent her.

Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”?

Fortunately, I have not  had any physical afflictions.  Being black and a woman, in this American, I have had to deal with discrimination and prejudice. Especially on the job.  The discrimination ranged from being denied job positions I qualified for to being disrespected.   These are painful and hurtful things to have to endure.  I am retired now so I don't have to deal with the job discrimination, but racial disparities are on the rise. 

In the beginning, I responded to the situation in not a so subtle way.  I was labeled an angry black woman.  I lived thru the civil rights age and knew what it was like to be looked down on.  I was trenched with bitterness determine I would not be oppressed as my forefathers were.  Praise be to God, as I grew in the word my faith got stronger and my attitude changed.  Scripture says to "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" and try to do just that.

Have you been able to forgive? If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?

Yes, I  can honesty say I have.  Life is just too short to hold grudges.  If nothing else, during this COVID-19 I have learned that.  We are all God's children and he loves us all the same.  I hope I live to see the day when we all come together as one.

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129). Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction?

"Afflictions" have been few.  I was betrayed by a staff member years ago which resulted in a forced resignation.  By God's grace no one could find fault...deacon chair said, "We have a different philosophy of ministry."  God provided every step of the way and has used us to help other churches and GOD grew each one.  Once, as bi-vocational, the deacs/personnel thought I should go full time at $300 a week, in 2000, in NY....God opened a door of ministry and then He greatly grew the new ministry.

Or perhaps from "the cords of the wicked"?

I've had great deacons and some, well, not so great.  Their sins have found them out and I didn't have to point them out.

God delivered me up front from any bitterness.  I was grieved that deacons/a staff person did what they did, but I did not become bitter.  I prayed God would bless them with what they needed.  God does a much better job at dealing with those who betray and discourage than I.  I don't need bitterness on my plate when God has so much blessing and joy.

Yes. Forgiveness has never been an issue as I reflect on how much God has forgiven me and still does.

I have not had to experience someone killing or torturing my wife, daughter or her family with 5 grandsons.  I don't know what that would be like.  Many have to deal with that.  In theory, I see God's "blessing" as His deep conviction of sin that leads to repentance. If they don't repent, they face His judgment and it is not His will that any perish in their sin.

Meditation

Day 10 Meditation (Psalm 129).

Q. Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from "the cords of the wicked"?

A. As I look back, I see nothing but God's extra grace upon my life from child hood to this moment that I am almost 70 years old. I cannot recall being in the type of affliction David described. What amazing grace from the Lord God for me.     I thank you my Lord and Protector of my life and soul. 

Q. How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression? Have you been able to forgive? If not, what would it take to enable you to forgive your enemies and offer them a blessing?

A. As I said earlier, I have not experienced much bitterness or wickedness in my life and this is just by the extra abundant grace of God for me. Thank You my Lord God Almighty.

When I look back over my life I can relate to David’s experience when I made a some choices in life and The Lord deliver me so many times.Through much Spiritual Growth when I reflect on my life I can truly say that the Lords Hands was always present with me. As far as bitterness , I experience some not in the world but in The House Of The Lord, I turned it over to Jesus...even being in pain never once that I held a grudge , that’s because The Lord touched my heart not to stoop in their sickness Trust Him And I came out on the winning side. After all if I don’t forgive my brethren, then the Lord want forgive me.i went through the process, it didn’t happen over nite but I can truly say when afflictions come my way, I pray about it and move on.

Yes as I look back on my life I see how He delivered me from the enemy's tactics and used that to bring others to Him through my ministry. For all things work together for good to those who are called according to His purpose. Yes many times in that area as well when I least expected it He would tell me when someone was out to harm me. For me I have chosen to be like Jesus and remember what Jesus went through for us and not focus on the past. It took time for me to forgive but as time went on I was finally able to forgive.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had affliction while serving the Lord and in family circumstances where I was treated unfairly.

I have been able to forgive gradually as God has comforted my heart.

He has helped me pray consistently for those who have behaved in a thoughtless and cruel way. Also, my emotions have been getting calmer over time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q - Can you think of times in your life when God has delivered you from affliction? Or perhaps from “the cords of the wicked”? ANS - Yes, when God delivered me from the bondage and chains of *********** and sexual addiction. 

Q - How have you dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression?  In my case, it was not dealing with any "Bitterness", but understanding on how deal with the bondage, the chords, the habit that had clung to me for years.  It was through the blood of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit, learning discipleship and obedience, and knowing how to fight the enemy successfully and consistently.  And then ministering to others who've had the same issues, as the Lord puts them in my path. 

• 2 months later...

Times when God has delivered me from affliction / cords of the wicked - Plenty! Even from within the family.  

How I have dealt with the bitterness that comes from oppression? - Withdrawal. Make serious adjustments. Pray about it most times. 

Have I been able to forgive? - Eventually, yes. To the point that I do not feel a shift when the remembrance of it drops in my thought process. It's important - in order to be free from baggage I don't need. Better to forgive them. Be at peace with myself and with God.

What would it take to offer my enemies a blessing? - I could pray for them. I do include them in my prayers. Sometimes. From a distance. They don't have to know about that. And I don't have to be in an up, close and personal relationship with them, either. But if I passed them on the street, I could offer a greeting. Even a smile or handshake. Or something. No hard feelings, though. No anger. No evil thoughts of revenge or anything like that. But definitely no access to my inner circle/personal space. There will always be people who are vexations to ones spirit. And since we can't hate them, better to keep it simple. From a distance! 

• 2 years later...

My life has been a series of ebb and flow and mountaintops and valleys. I can think of those times when everything was going wrong and I felt oppressed and afflicted, God was always there to pick me up and place my feet on solid ground. 

There have been times God has delivered me from the cords of the enemy. Some people have tried to entrap or destroy me. God has never let them, even in times I know I was the one in the wrong, He preserved me for reasons only known to Him. But I am grateful.

Stew about it, lash out, hold it in and implode, withdraw. 

I am usually able to forgive rather quickly after an offense. There have been times where I thought I forgave. But then at the mention of their name or the sound of their voice, something icky rose up in my inner being and I knew there were still sour grapes. I've learned to just go back to the Lord again and tell Him I thought I had forgiven but apparently not, please help me. It usually works. 

I have to gain God's heavenly perspective on my enemies, allowing me to see them the way He does and see the situation the way He does.