JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

9. Healing - Capernaum

• 2 months later...

I have been slowly trucking through several of Dr Wilson's studies for years and I dearly appreciate the time and delicacy with which he handles God's Word.

This is the first hiccup I've come to in differing doctrine. I am a first generation believer and Praise be to God, He called me from a young age. I church hopped when I was little trying to find Truth. On my journey I attended a few different pentecostal churches. Boy I wanted That kind of faith! I heard the pastor speak like Dr. Wilson does in these few lessons about healing and I determined it was only seeds of doubt that kept healings from happening through me in the name of Jesus. I made myself and the person I prayed for look like idiots when I had ZERO doubts He would heal and the person stayed injured. Then I got to see time and time again HARD cases brought forward and none healed. Each time the leadership just saying it was a lack of faith. On pg 63 concerning healings it says, "Those with enough faith and awareness of their spiritual authority can." What about regrowing a missing limb or a man wheelchair bound from infancy with cerebral palsy? Both are cases I've seen the person have no doubts, even years of crying out. I am NOT doubting God's ability. It would just appear that it takes more than a faith and awareness, it must be God's will. To rest the stake in the prayer's faith is damaging to those not solid in their walk with Jesus, as they could witness this and become severely turned off from the Gospel. Jesus was never "not willing" to heal, however if Christian faith alone truly healed each time then how wicked to not be marching through the children's hospitals, the cancer wards, etc. I hold the same perspective with tongues. I've seen it abused and turn away the lost more than I have seen it edify the Body (in fact I've never seen the latter). I have even witnessed a whole family condemn me for not having that gift and then in later years turn to be true satan worshippers. I want to believe in all the wonders and beauty of the Spirit as described in this study, but alas I have become more Calvinistic as I've grown older.  

Anyway, Thank you Dr. Wilson for devoting your life to the Kingdom and serving Our Great God!

Amanda 

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:07 AM, thehaller6 said:

I have been slowly trucking through several of Dr Wilson's studies for years and I dearly appreciate the time and delicacy with which he handles God's Word.

This is the first hiccup I've come to in differing doctrine. I am a first generation believer and Praise be to God, He called me from a young age. I church hopped when I was little trying to find Truth. On my journey I attended a few different pentecostal churches. Boy I wanted That kind of faith! I heard the pastor speak like Dr. Wilson does in these few lessons about healing and I determined it was only seeds of doubt that kept healings from happening through me in the name of Jesus. I made myself and the person I prayed for look like idiots when I had ZERO doubts He would heal and the person stayed injured. Then I got to see time and time again HARD cases brought forward and none healed. Each time the leadership just saying it was a lack of faith. On pg 63 concerning healings it says, "Those with enough faith and awareness of their spiritual authority can." What about regrowing a missing limb or a man wheelchair bound from infancy with cerebral palsy? Both are cases I've seen the person have no doubts, even years of crying out. I am NOT doubting God's ability. It would just appear that it takes more than a faith and awareness, it must be God's will. To rest the stake in the prayer's faith is damaging to those not solid in their walk with Jesus, as they could witness this and become severely turned off from the Gospel. Jesus was never "not willing" to heal, however if Christian faith alone truly healed each time then how wicked to not be marching through the children's hospitals, the cancer wards, etc. I hold the same perspective with tongues. I've seen it abused and turn away the lost more than I have seen it edify the Body (in fact I've never seen the latter). I have even witnessed a whole family condemn me for not having that gift and then in later years turn to be true satan worshippers. I want to believe in all the wonders and beauty of the Spirit as described in this study, but alas I have become more Calvinistic as I've grown older.  

Anyway, Thank you Dr. Wilson for devoting your life to the Kingdom and serving Our Great God!

Amanda 

Thanks for sharing your life Amanda, but if you read Dr Wilson's articles in full from beginning to end, he did not tell us to summon just a moment of fruitless faith. He always emphasized a lifelong process of walking in discipleship where you let the Word renew your mind and it will bear transforming fruit (Romans 12:2). Some people do not get lasting deliverance or healing because they do not renew those old thought patterns that opened the door to trouble in the first place. They only run to "healers" but they do not renew their lives.

As your past experience affirms, it is so true that most good things get abused by bad people. Even water baptism and wedding ceremonies get abused and distorted by people who do not live out those vows. Is that justification then to condemn and abstain from water baptism and wedding ceremonies, or urge other people to have nothing to do with baptism and weddings? May the mind of Christ help us to be sharp in our thinking, to examine all things and cling to the good (compare 1 Thess 5:21 - it did not say, reject the good together with the bad!). Take every thought to make obedient to Christ (2 Cor 10). We cling to the word of God and do not despise it, but we abhor and avoid all those excesses people have practised. Jesus said, "Pay attention to what [the Pharisees] tell you and do it. But do not do what they do.." (Matthew 23:3). If you are offended by the word of God because some people have abused it in how they teach or do ministry, you have indeed been stumbled by them. :( They are wrong but the word of God is never wrong.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him?

Although he could heal in other ways without touching the person, I think his touch conveys unexpected compassion and identification. E.g. lepers are untouchables but Jesus touched a leper, telling him he was willing to make him clean (Matthew 8:2-3).

Experientially, I find that laying on of hands may encourage the faith of the person receiving help, although (I caution) it cannot be pushed so far as to make him place his faith in the hands rather than in Jesus. At least it conveys the comfort that someone is praying for him. The church at Antioch laid lands to pray for their first missionary team before sending them off (Acts 13:3) and Timothy received his ministry gift by the laying on of hands (2 Timothy 1:6). We cannot discount that they occasionally laid hands.

Finally, there may be a way whereby God allows His power to flow through physical contact, although (I caution) we can't form a full-blown doctrine out of scant narratives. The woman with an issue of blood was healed when she touched Jesus' garment in faith (Matthew 9:20-22; Mark 5:25-34; Luke 8:43-48). The sick were healed when handkerchiefs or aprons that Paul had touched were brought to the sick (Acts 19:11-12). (You may, of course, argue that the key was the faith of the recipients, not the touch.) The didactic scriptures NEVER teach this as a ministry method, but like Mary, we can treasure these accounts we don't understand fully and ponder what they might mean, instead of discounting them downright.

1. How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow?

Laying hands on each of them, he healed them or cast out demons. I can imagine that, as he laid hands on each one, he would encourage that soul. Moreover, the sun was setting, and the whole town gathered at the door. To a lesser man like me, it would have signified great inconvenience at a time when I want to rest. This shows Jesus' great compassion for people and his great commitment to the Father's work.

1. Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict?

If there ever was a conflict, then Jesus chose his duty to his Father over the demands of men to show compassion. On occasions, they do conflict. As in this case, the people of Capernaum tried to stop him from leaving them (Luke 4:42). In John's account (John 6) of the feeding of the 5000, the people had their own selfish agenda for following Jesus and retaining him (v.15, 24-26, 66), which Jesus didn't accede to. He just let them leave him instead.

1. Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us?

It is hard because we live in a fast-paced society crammed with media overload and multi-tasking demands. It is hard also because it is a spiritual battle. I'm sure the devil tries to keep us from being close to God.

I do fail too :(, but I find that setting a time at the beginning of a day for Quiet Time helps. Setting half a day per week for fasting and extended Quiet Time also helps.

As for Bible study, it helps to belong to a group that can proceed at equal pace, or to a forum that has assignments (and replies, please!). That helps to gather and maintain momentum.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:07 AM, thehaller6 said:

Amanda 

Another way to look at this, dear Amanda, is this analogy: We never know which soul will get saved eventually, but we preach salvation cos it's part of our commission, and we leave the results to God. Likewise, we don't know which of the sick will get healed eventually, but we pray for healing cos it's part of our commission, and we leave the results to God.

Would we stop talking of salvation since not everyone gets saved anyway? Or would we demand God to reveal to us whether someone would get saved, before we even tell him about salvation? That's not a very compassionate response. We cannot demand God to guarantee us a sure-win outcome before we start doing something that seems right. Otherwise, we get more concerned about the success of our effort than the plight of the suffering soul.

A final analogy is Abraham. Didn't he intercede for Sodom and Gomorrah to be spared, but in the end these cities were destroyed? (Genesis 18-19)  Abraham did not have to foreknow which prayers would be answered since he is not God. But Abraham's heart was in the right place when he interceded out of compassion. The important thing is, don't pray for the sick because you want to show others how powerful your prayers are. Pray because your heart weeps for the suffering. Then you won't be so concerned about what people think about your prayer if it isn't answered. And we don't have to defend God either, since He is sovereign and does no wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

1.    What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him? He had a sense of personal touch, intimacy with people.

2.    How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum?  He attended to all of them, healing them and meeting their needs. What kind of example does that set for us to follow? We should reach out to the needy to hear them and attend to their needs

3.    Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Compassion.Did they ever conflict? No

4.    Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? We are always to occupied with the worldly things that we want to do for our selves rather than give God the first priority. What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Over time I have created time for quiet time but it has been more for reading devotionals and less prayers. I need to use most the time to talk to and listen to my Father from now on. So help me Lord. Any tips to share with the rest of us? Every one to create time preferably in the early hours of the day where distractions are few and meet with the Lord. As I am reminding myself, everyone should use such a time for a two way communication with Lord and Saviour God Almighty.

• 4 weeks later...

1. What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about Him?

Jesus did not have to personally lay hands on each person, but by doing so, He showed compassion and an interest in each individual - listening to their illnesses and healing them one by one. When we are not well some kind words and simple wordless gestures are so important – such as a hug or laying on of hands. Another thing we noticed is that He healed instantly - Peter’s mother-in-law was able help immediately in preparing a meal for all who were in the house. By His power to heal and by His miracles, Jesus proved His deity.

2. How did Jesus treat the sick people He encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow?

There is an awareness that we are basically spiritual and our body responds to positive attitudes and emotions. With this in mind we have to be there for the sick, listening, always showing love and compassion, being positive, and negating any thought of hopelessness. At the same time being strict and bringing joy into their lives. Prov 17:22 tells us that a cheerful heart is good medicine. Remember they aren’t unhappy because they are sick, but more likely they are sick because they are unhappy. Joy is one of the gifts of the Spirit, along with hope, love, and faith. There is a spiritual dimension of illness – an inter-relatedness of faith and wellness. The positive imagery begins to release healing forces. So, we are to remain positive at all times, since there is a measurable physical change in the body for those who believe they are healed. In healing the sick and the demon possessed, Jesus had already demonstrated that He could heal with just a word (Luk 4:39). Yet here in Capernaum, it was the touch of Jesus' hand that healed the sick. He also, went through the trouble of treating each person individually, showing us that human touch is so very important. He could have spoken the word and healed the whole crowd at once.

3. Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict?

Jesus' priority was to proclaim a new kingdom of which He is the King. But out of compassion He healed the sick - laying His hands on every one of them and healing them. But Jesus did not make it His major emphasis. He had other duties. In the kingdom Jesus came to establish, it is more important to help people begin to find some new positive attitudes and behaviours. Jesus proclaimed a new king, a new centre, a new direction, and new priorities. Incidentally, much of our illness has been dealt a death blow. But not all. We still live in a broken world. Love, faith, hope, and joy - these clinical descriptions of wellness are the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They are the overflow of His presence in our lives. Their absence produces illness and their presence makes for health. Our primary focus is not on the elimination of illness or immorality but on righteousness. Righteousness is loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and your neighbour as yourself. Righteousness is receiving the Spirit and the gifts of faith, hope, love, joy - the magic ingredients to wellness.

4. Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us?

In our busy world today, we often don’t have time for our Lord and Saviour Jesus. There is so much to distract us. Making it very difficult to squeeze in some time with Jesus. On top of this we are motivated by greed, and power, amongst other things. We are mostly self-centred – it’s all about Me. It helps to acknowledge Jesus in everything we do daily – making Him the centre of our life. I have my Quiet Time with my wife, 4 times a week.  Initially we persevered and made a point of sticking to our schedule. Afterwards it became ingrained into our life style. We hardly ever miss our morning Quiet Time. So, it is important to persevere that it becomes a sort of habit. Also, we have a fixed format. We start off with a prayer and finish with a prayer – which we alternate weekly as to who starts. In between we have a Bible Reading, with a commentary, alternating with 2 lessons from different phone apps. This usual takes about 60 minutes, and the format makes for spiritual growth. Each time it is different and exciting so that we always look forward to our early morning Quiet Time.

4.  Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time?   What have you found that enables you to set aside this time?  Any tips to share with the rest of us?

My quiet time is early in the morning, before the rest of the world is awake.   It consists of prayer, devotional reading and meditation.   Like so many others, I find it difficult to stay focused all the time - other thoughts creep in, like "I must remember to put sugar on the shopping list!".   It is frustrating, but I read a description in a book recently that suggested that one studied a bird in flight - surrounded by air, yet the air is invisible.   Even so, we are surrounded by the arms of the loving God, and we do not need to go to seek Him - He is all around us, and knows our cares and worries - even the sugar on the shopping list!!  I find that, when something else intervenes, one has to draw one's mind gently back, without any feeling of guilt, to the Lord Who is always patiently waiting.

1. What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about Him? 

To touch someone is very personal. For me it means, "I'm okay. I am not untouchable or leprous or too dirty." 

It showed that Jesus did not see others as too lowly to be touched. There was no fear of being contaminated. Jesus desired to make contact with the people. 

2.How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? 

What kind of example does that set for us to follow? 

He left no one out. He laid hands on them and cured them. V40

We learn not to be afraid of "touching" someone in need, to be compassionate. To be sensitive to the need of a person or people. Not to turn anyone away, but to keep on going on with what God has sent us to do. 

3. Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? 

Did they ever conflict? 

I guess they came very close, working hand in hand. Jesus knew what His duty was and followed through with it. Lk 4:43

4. Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? 

What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? 

It is very easy to have wondering thoughts while reading. Ending up not knowing what one has read. The  mind is ready with part of the rest of the day. 

Doing these on line studies have been a tremendous help. 

Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time?  What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? 

My QT in the morning has become the cornerstone for my day spent in God.  It strengthens me for the entire day,  and through days of barrenness due to skipping QT,  i have learned I cannot go without it.  

The best teaching I've received on this was by our very own Dr Wilson in his study Hearing the Voice of God. Dr Wilson provides a format for QT that I have found most helpful.  Now I try to start with a song!  I have learned from experience that incorporating a song brings out a very special anointing of the Spirit.  I like to seek God about the song He wants to hear which sets us up for intimacy at the very start of QT. 

I stick to a pattern of one chapter from the OT and one from NT,  but any form of structured Bible reading will suffice. My best friend likes Reading Thru the Bible in One Yr programs.  She would be uncomfortable with my format just as I am with hers.  Find what works best for you,  for being you is most important.  

After the song and reading comes fellowship with God.  Seeking His input on the scriptures read.  There have been some powerful truths the Lord has brought out,  but for me,  this time of communing and prayer are the most difficult to maintain.  Once this slides, the whole regime seems to fall apart and soon I am just reading words and getting no deep meaning.  The only thing I can do at this point is repent and cry out to God with all my heart,  strength,  and mind earnestly seeking Him for restoration.  And He is faithful,  He is the faithful One even when I wander. 

Maintaining a QT is as important to our spiritual vibrancy as food is to the physical body.  One cannot abstain without experiencing a weakened state.  Therefore our enemy puts much effort into thwarting the daily morning commune at the Lord's table. We must fight for this time until it is ours.  What we gain from it can't be taken from us!!! Jesus knew this.  Allow for God to be Lord over your sleep.  He will wake you early like Jesus,  if you allow Him too.  Sometimes I am awakened at 230am! But I have recognized my need is for time with God more than for sleep. 

4. Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us?

It is hard to maintain quiet time when there isn't stated time for it. However, when one set a regular time table for it, it become as easy as anything. All other 'important duties will give way to this indispensable duty.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, Isaac L said:

Another way to look at this, dear Amanda, is this analogy: We never know which soul will get saved eventually, but we preach salvation cos it's part of our commission, and we leave the results to God. Likewise, we don't know which of the sick will get healed eventually, but we pray for healing cos it's part of our commission, and we leave the results to God.

Would we stop talking of salvation since not everyone gets saved anyway? Or would we demand God to reveal to us whether someone would get saved, before we even tell him about salvation? That's not a very compassionate response. We cannot demand God to guarantee us a sure-win outcome before we start doing something that seems right. Otherwise, we get more concerned about the success of our effort than the plight of the suffering soul.

A final analogy is Abraham. Didn't he intercede for Sodom and Gomorrah to be spared, but in the end these cities were destroyed? (Genesis 18-19)  Abraham did not have to foreknow which prayers would be answered since he is not God. But Abraham's heart was in the right place when he interceded out of compassion. The important thing is, don't pray for the sick because you want to show others how powerful your prayers are. Pray because your heart weeps for the suffering. Then you won't be so concerned about what people think about your prayer if it isn't answered. And we don't have to defend God either, since He is sovereign and does no wrong.

Great analogy!  Made me think of Paul's thorn in his side that the Lord did not remove, even though he prayed about it.  We know Paul had great faith.  The reason Jesus healed so many was to fulfill his commission and show the world He is the Messiah (discussion last week).  We ask God-sometimes He heals, sometimes He doesn't.  We live in a fallen world.  We must always pray as Jesus taught-Thy will be done.  Even Jesus' prayer was not answered to have His cup of suffering removed.  

On 1/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, haar said:

What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Over time I have created time for quiet time but it has been more for reading devotionals and less prayers. I need to use most the time to talk to and listen to my Father from now on. So help me Lord. 

I have this same problem as I have grown older, I find myself reading and studying more, but praying less.  I used to have such a fervent prayer life.  The Spirit has been convicting me lately that I need to return to my former devotion to prayer, while not neglecting Bible reading and study. 

We know that Jesus could heal with just a word and from a distance, as he did for the centurion's servant Luke 7: 1-10.  However, direct contact through the laying on of hands is so much more loving and shows His level of care and concern for us as individuals.  He wants to know us. 

Bailey 3/8/21 

1. What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him?  The ministry of laying on of hands by teaches the real heart of Jesus.  It shows his compassion  and sensitive side that his disciples don't really see, but the crowd wants to see and get close too.  He shares a part of himself in an intimate manner that's only seen by his Father.  While He knows that this is part of His commission, he felt a spiritual pleasure of contact and being unafraid where he was deeply needed, because as no one knew accept His Father in heaven that these very same people showing this much love and admiration, devotion and caring would turn their backs on him and ask that he be crucified.
  2. He treated them the same, but He never tired.
  3. I think Jesus was led by both compassion and duty to deliver the good news to his people and teach his disciples to be fishers of men.
  4. Quiet Time.  Now during this Virus we have nothing but Quiet Time.  My habit when I wake up is to thank God.  Really Denzel hits me with his paw to go out.  I try to set the pace.  Giving all praise and honor for the start of the day.  Lord will I be able to get down all these steps, yes I made it.  I keep it simple.  I try to keep Gospel quotes on the fridge throughout for me to pray as I make my way throughout the house.  GOD HAS NO WHERE TO HIDE.  OTHER THAN INSIDE YOU.  I have the Saint Michael the Archangel prayer on the fridge as well.  I must have coffee.  I sit close my eyes and come one with God.  For ever long you want .  Sometimes I tell Denzel I AM TALKING WITH JESUS, DON'T BOTHER ME, he knows, and will sit .  Throughout the day I will say thank you Jesus, sing a song, praise the Lord, or just have devotion, then at about 3 o'clock is my serious prayer time.  I turn on my James Cleveland, or whatever song I feel the spirit and reach out to God.  I let the Holy Spirit take control of my thoughts of the day, friends situation , whatever and release it.  Because he knows just how much we can bear.  Somedays I have a good old time with just praise and worship and just loving Him in devotion.  Mind you this took time.  I was a back slider, I came back.  So little by little you will get your grove with God.  But Remember Read the word of God every chance you get.    
  5. Pat

22 hours ago, kreilly said:

We know that Jesus could heal with just a word and from a distance, as he did for the centurion's servant Luke 7: 1-10.  However, direct contact through the laying on of hands is so much more loving and shows His level of care and concern for us as individuals.  He wants to know us. 

Thanks for thinking of me, Body was sore, again Thanks    Pat Bailey

What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him?

A. I think that the laying on of hands showed that Jesus wanted to make it personal so He laid his hands on these people.

How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow?

A. Jesus treated the sick people by having compassion on them and healed them and laid his hands on them.

Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict?

A. Jesus had compassion because He loves us and the people that He was dealing with at that time, but it was also his duty so I think that is what made is exciting for Him.

Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us?

A. I have learned that we always make time for the most important things in our lives. Since being with God was most important to me I have made it a rule to get up early enough to make my quit time. I get up before the kids do making it easier to carry out my quit time.

The laying on of hands for healing by Jesus teaches us how loving, caring, compassionate and down to earth Jesus is. He is the master with a divine nature yet very down to earth. He is humble. He sympathised with the sick, the diseased, the afflicted, and made the people feel at ease by having a close contact with them through the laying on of hands for healing. He did not play favourites nor prioritise any person or group of person, rather he made sure that everyone got healed before he retired. He is a hard worker and he never complained about exhaustion rather he goes the extra mile to bring healing, restoration, joy, happiness to the sick, the afflicted, the hungry etc.

Although Jesus came down from heaven to earth with a mission, he was driven by compassion rather than duty to do the Kingdom business for which the Father sent Him.

• 2 weeks later...

1.      What does Jesus’ ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him?

Jesus did not discriminate; he touched and heal everyone no matter the disease; he healed them all.

2.      How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? He took time and met each one’s need individually. Before ministering he found a quiet place from others to hear from his Father.

What kind of example does that set for us to follow? He is our example and we should do the same. It’s through seeking God’s direction in prayer we should put fort before going out on our own. We need the Holy Spirit to help us in this ministry and warfare.

3.      Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion of duty? Compassion is good, but Jesus was sent for the purpose “because that is why I was sent” (4:43) His duty motivated Him, and His commission and calling came with compassion.

Did they ever conflict? Yes. Early Jesus was not able to minister because they didn’t believe (4:22-24) they wanted Him to do miracles like he did in Capernaum.  

4.      Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet time? Distraction and commitment. What have you found that enables you to set aside this time?  Setting a time and place early in the morning.

Any tips to share with the rest of us? I like to start off by listening to three to four teaching via television followed by getting into my personal study

• 2 weeks later...
  1. What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him?    Jesus had a concern and deep compassion for people that led Him to minister to the hurting in a very personal way. He showed respect for each person's affliction.  He spoke to them as individuals. He looked into people’s eyes. He held someone’s hand or touched their blind eyes or surely laid His hands on disfigured feet, for example. The sense of touch is very intimate and is somewhat healing in itself. Jesus extended Himself in a personal way to offer the healing. This is much like a good doctor treats patients, and the Great Physician set the example.

2.  How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow?

Jesus recognized and responded to the hurt and pain of every single person as individuals that day. No one was overlooked or ignored. That sets a high bar for the kind of selfless compassion He displayed as our example.