JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

12. Salvation

• 4 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be?

Firstly, sin could have been the root cause of this paralysis. In such a case, we deal with the root cause first so that the physical healing can follow and will last.

Secondly, Jesus might be using this to alert people to think about who he is. People tend to seek spectacular healing but not ponder the spiritual meaning behind it. Jesus' miracles were not ostentatious; they have a redemptive purpose which we must ponder and appreciate. Sometimes it is an unusual saying that will wake us from slumber to consider the point.

Finally Jesus was not crazy for popularity, so he wasn't afraid to offend the important-looking Pharisees who came to visit. We have to tell the truth and not deny or sugar-coat it.

1. What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?

In this case, the paralysis was caused by sin in the person's own life. This is not an atrocious idea, for James 5:15 says, "The prayer of faith will save the one who is sick and the Lord will raise him up - and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."  Where sin is involved, there needs to be repentance and forgiveness, so that the physical healing will come and will be sustained.

However, we cannot assume every sickness/disability to be caused by sin. In John 9:1-3, Jesus' disciples wondered whether a man's sin or his parents' sin caused him to be blind from birth, but Jesus said it was neither of these causes.

Moreover, Job's 3 friends judged Job to have sinned and his suffering to be caused by his sin, but it was not so. In fact God defended Job and rebuked his 3 friends. (Job 42:7-9)

So let us not judge every sick person to have sinned. Yet we remain open to the possibility of sin as a cause; if the person confesses so or we had a special revelation that it is so, we try to address the sin along with the sickness.

1. Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident?

From the human point of view, it is easier to say "Your sins are forgiven", because who can see whether that person's sins were forgiven? It is harder to proclaim physical healing, because everyone will be looking for the physical evidence to see if your words come true. This is often why Christians are afraid and/or embarrassed to pray for healing. Some even object to such prayers, in case they "embarrass" God and themselves if nothing happens.

Perhaps the point Jesus is making here is that, just as he can heal paralysis (considered impossible), he can forgive sins. If we think deeper, it means he is God!

1. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"?

To the people in his times, the term "Son of God" is equivalent to divinity, while "Messiah" or "Christ" is equivalent to deliverer from the reign of Rome. Although he deserves both terms, Jesus avoided using them in his early ministry, probably to avoid unnecessary confrontation or people's subversion of his ministry direction. This would have cut short his ministry, or brought forward persecution and crucifixion ahead of the Father's timing.

Instead Jesus used the term "Son of Man" which, though it had a Messianic connotation in Daniel 7, was used often to refer to mere man. Thus it carried an ambiguous interpretation to his hearers.

1. Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why?

I feel more like the paralytic at present, because I often suffer from a running nose for over a month now. Like the paralytic, I need to be helped rather than to help others in this condition. Like him, I need to be healed. Like him, I need to overcome fear of allergy and exercise faith every day.

• 1 month later...

1.    Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" To demonstrate to all that He has the power to forgive sins He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be? If by visiting guests you mean the four friends and their patient, the I think Jesus wanted use the opportunity to demonstrate his power and authority to forgive and heal. However, if you mean the Pharisees and others which is more likely, then the reason was similar, to take opportunity of the situation to prove to them that He was not just the son of man, but really a Son of God with authority and power to forgive sin and to heal. 

2.    What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage? Some sicknesses can be due to sin as the leprosy of Miriam due to her grumbling against her brother Moses. 

3.    Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? I think it is easier to say "take up your mat and go"  What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident? As Son of God Who is God too, He has the power to forgive sin

4.    Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"? Jesus at this point whose time has not yet come, has always wanted to play it safe by not provoking stiffer confrontation with his Jewish Pharisees who think he is 100% a mere human

Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why? I am not sure I understand this question. If the question means who am I like, then I think I am like the paralysed man that needs Jesus' forgiveness and healing both physically and spiritually 

1. Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did He choose not to be?

He knew the Pharisees and Scribes from every village in Galilee and Judea weren’t there to be blessed by His teaching. They felt threatened since Jesus challenged their sincerity and He was becoming very popular with people flocking to hear Him. They needed to find a reason to get rid of Him. His words “Your sins are forgiven!” were deliberately calculated to create a dilemma from which they couldn’t escape. Only God could forgive sins, and they knew this! So, here was the proof they needed - He was a blasphemer, a sin punishable by death (Lev 24:16)! If they were honest with themselves they would have to admit that Jesus was God in human flesh, for only God can forgive sin and heal a paralytic person.

2. What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?

We live in a fallen world – a world that is in bondage to sin. Romans 6:23a – the wages of sin is death. Because of sin there is death in the world, and death is because of sickness. So, we see that both sin and sickness are inseparably linked together. And both are in God’s plan of redemption – the salvation of our souls and ultimately the healing (glorification) of our bodies. When we put our faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ our soul is saved and we will be waiting for the redemption of our body. Jesus died on the cross for our sins, not our sickness. By His healings Jesus is teachings us that in His eternal kingdom there will be no more death, no more sorrow, no more pain, and no more sickness. 1 Peter 2:24 – by His stripes we are healed.

3. Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident?

It is just as easy to say “Your sins are forgiven!” as it is to say “Get up, take your mat, and go home!”, but Jesus makes the point that to forgive the paralyzed man his sins or to heal his body is humanly impossible. By announcing “Your sins are forgiven!”, the Pharisees could not see that the man's sins had been forgiven, not being visible, so they would not believe. But by performing the miracle healing as well, giving the paralytic the power to walk, could be seen; proving to them that He had truly forgiven the man’s sins. The point here seems to be that it is easier to say “Your sins are forgiven!”, because there is no way of telling if it has happened. If you say, “Get up, take your mat, and go home!,” then it is easy to see if the patient has been healed, if not you would be shown to be a fraudster.

4. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"?

If He had used both these terms early in His ministry it would have caused huge reactions that would have resulted in the early termination of His earthly ministry. Therefore, to avoid this conflict He used the term “Son of Man”. Religious leaders would have been most angry and would have had Him stoned to death as a blasphemer, if He had initially used the term “Messiah”. He did later use the both terms.

5. Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why?

If I understand the question properly. One of the four friends. I feel like I had a small part in this cleansing and healing process by putting my trust in Jesus Christ, and persevering in getting my friend to Jesus. And of course, having met and been in the presence of the Messiah.

1. Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your  sins are forgiven"? 

He could have been less offensive to the guests. Why do you think He chose not to be? 

Many times sickness was associated with sin. Here Jesus deals with the issue immediately. Also, only God can forgive sin. These words would inadvertantly prove to or show the people present who Jesus actually was. They would also spark off some talk. Teaching was done by discussing the topic. This would thus be an ideal opportunity for that.  

Jesus noticed that these friends had faith and no ways were they goi g to skip the opportunity. The forgivi g of sin was the 'invisible' part. Jesus refers to Himself as the "Son of Man" and He has the authority and right to forgive sins. 

3. Which of the phrases is easier to say, "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat and go home!"? 

What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident? 

It is easier to say "Your sins are forgiven! " because that is the invisible part. But also that is the part which would start the talking ... Only God can forgive sins. ... He, Jesus is in fact God. He had the authority and Power to forgive sins and to heal. When He told the man to get up and the man did so, this point was driven home to those who wanted to "see" and "hear". 

4. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man"  rather than "Son of God"  or" Messiah"? 

The term "son of man"  appears 100 times in the O. T.,  93 of them in Ezekial as a synonym for "man".  I believe Jesus used this term for Himself because He wanted to identify Himself with man.  I believe Jesus desires to live through all of our lives and did so in the prophet Ezekial. 

Ezekial 2:1 - (the call of Ezekial) He said to me,  son of man,  stand on your feet,  and I will speak to you. 

Ezekial 3:4 - He said to me,  Son of man,  go to the house of Israel,  and speak My words to them. 

Ezekial 3:25 - But you,  son of man,  behold,  they shall lay shackles on you and shall bind you with them,  and you shall not go out among them. 

Jesus is our righteousness before God and gave Ezekial the fortitude to face such a difficult call.  In turn,  Jesus drew encouragement from what Ezekial accomplished for God.  The term Son of Man represents much more than a physical birthright.  Jesus could look back through the anals of the O. T.  and see where Jesus,  as the Lamb slain from the foundations of the world,  had been able to live through the hearts of valiant men and women. 

There is a quote by Charles Spurgeon that helps further depict this: "You stand before God as if you were Christ,  because Christ stood before God as if he were you. "

Jesus' life was in Ezekial then,  and Jesus drew encouragement from that while on earth.  When He called Himself the Son of Man,  only He knew the true meaning of such a statement. 

Jesus also must have garnered much strength and encouragement from the three Psalms that use this term:

Psalm 8:4 - What is man,  that You are mindful of him,  and the son of man,  that You care for him? 

Psalm 80:17 - Let Your hand be on the man of Your right hand,  on the son of man whom You made strong for Yourself. 

Psalm 144:3 - Yahweh,  what is man,  that You care for him?  Or the son of man,  that You think of him? 

I can see in these Psalms the heart of Jesus drawing from God,  drinking from the fount in order to persevere and press on. 

I believe Jesus chose Son of Man to describe Himself because He was humble.  He was not seeking power which we see in the term Son of God,  to which the Pharisees objected.  And He was not seeking authority as the Romans saw the Messiah as an issue.  Instead Jesus was seeking man - you and me - and our neighbor. 

• 1 month later...

Greetings Bailey 3/29/21

What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?  Their sins were forgiven, but it was their faith.  The faith that moved them through crowds, that had no fear.  They had to get to Jesus.  The Pharisees, had fear, they new who Jesus was and had to face their  own fears.  If they spoke up what would happen to them if they spoke the truth?  ( whom! )  In the world of finger pointing even then we must have a scape goat.

2.  Son of man instead of Messiah, Jesus in his heart of hearts knew his time and hour had not come.  His father in Heaven was not ready for him to tell the people.  His time on the cross was coming and they would find out.

3.  I know this is Holy Week for some and It's time to witness the Marvelous and Glorious the Christ has done for You and I.  He set us free, broke the chains that had us bound, oh yes he did, set us free on Calvary, it's so Glorious, 

HAPPY EASTER

Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be?

A. I think that Jesus needed to show that he is the Son of Man so that the average man can understand what he is all about.

What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?

A. This is an interesting saying because in a lot of cases sin in not associated with sickness. So I don’t understand why he did it this time. It had to be to upset the Pharisees or to show the Pharisees that had the authority to forgive man his sins.

Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident?

A. I think for Jesus, both sayings were easy for Him to say. He just wanted the people that were around him to know that he has to power to forgive sins and to heal the sick.

Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"?

A. I don’t know why he used the term “Son of Man” rather than “Son of God” or “Messiah”. He might have done it to establish that he is the Son of Man.

Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why?

A. I think that the paralyzed man probably felt most like the present because he was the center of attention.

I personaly think it is easier to say your sins are forgiven because some how you can make people to understand that if they repent of their sins they can be forgiven.

Praying for physical healing requires a stronger faith ( most of the time) which most christians do not have and so would not dare to pray fearing that their lack of faith would not produce any healing.

At present I feel like one of the four friends of the paralytic because i feel burdened to see the sick healed, people in bondage set free and lost souls saved. There are so many people plagued by sickness and diseases and my desire is to lead them to the master healer himself who will heal and make them whole.

What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?

Sin and sickness both destroy.  Sin destroys the soul/spirit and sometimes has physical consequences as well.  Sickness attacks the physical body and often the soul/spirit also, if it is severe or lasts for an extended time.  The devil uses these tools to keep us in bondage.  Jesus has the power to forgive and heal both, freeing us from Satan's grasp.  

• 3 months later...

1.    Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, ""Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be? He chose to be this way because He knew that these people already knew He was and what He did before and how His claims would cause issues for them. But He chose to do this to make a point not to them but to the man to say that his faith is why his sins were forgiven. 

2.    What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage? Sin is why sickness came into the world and through sickness death also came into the world. Sin destroys the soul while sickness destroys the outer body and spirit and soul too. The devil can use these as a source of bondage if they are long lasting. 

3.    Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!" I believe it would be Your sins are forgiven because it expresses a person's faith in God. 

4.    Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"? To show that He was both Son of God and man to them.

5. Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why? I feel like the paralyzed man because of the fact I constantly need to go to the Lord for forgiveness and ask Him questions about things 

• 1 year later...
  1. Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be?

Jesus was on earth to bring truth to all of Israel, which would include the scribes and Pharisees. This was a moment to challenge what they thought they knew and to demonstrate the reality of who He was – God on earth in flesh, the Son of Man. Jesus knew they correctly understood God’s sole authority to forgive sins and power to heal sickness. He also knew their blind misinterpretation of prophecy and misapplication of God’s Word and promises. So He went directly at their secret questions to expose them and subtly reveal His identity - not just as a physical healer but as the spiritual healer. Nuance was not going to be effective in unveiling their perceptions. He was giving them opportunity to consider truth, knowing they were not going to. Jesus was God and possessed all power to heal of spiritual and physical sickness.

2. What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage?

Sin and sickness are linked here to this paralytic’s healing. We don’t know if the man was paralyzed as a result of some sinful behavior in his life, but in a general sense all sickness stems from the original innate sin nature of all humanity. Forgiveness and healing of sin was this suffering man’s greatness need. No one but God Himself has the right and authority to bestow that forgiveness. This links to healing in that only God Himself has the power and authority to cure disease and restore normal function to damaged bodies. With Jesus’ statement, But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”, I think that the physical healing was not just compassion for the crippled man, but was to be an observable evidence of His power to give the even more important inner healing.

3. Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident?

Jesus had authority and power to do both, so either one was “easy” for Him. Forgiveness of the paralytic man’s sin was a healing in the invisible spiritual realm that the religious leaders would certainly dispute. But the physical healing was quite another matter. It was the indisputable evidence that Jesus was truth.

4. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"?

The man these religious leaders were looking at and hearing speak was Yahweh manifested to the world in skin and bones. Jesus was God come to earth in human flesh, born of a human woman with human DNA. Using this title “Son of Man” from Old Testament writings, He most often identified Himself this way as He related His mission for restoring man’s broken relationship with God – one Man standing in the gap for all other men. This title didn’t blatantly identify Him as God, but was a subtle revelation of His divinity to these Jewish scholars. It was not yet time for that full revelation.

• 1 month later...

1.Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be? He wanted to prove to them that He alone had the power to forgive sins no one else could. He wanted to confront them with their hypocrisy of not believing in it anymore and show them that God would

honor his request because of who He is. He was not in the buisness of trying to please people.

2. What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage? That if someone sins that they can become sick and that they need to repent and have someone pray over them for healing.

3. Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident? It is easier to say the first one. Harder to say the second one because no one has the power to heal except Jesus. That if you have faith you can be healed and forgiven of your sins.

4. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"? He did not want people to focus on His divinity then but on His humanity and His mission to save people. It was not time to show them who He was.

5. Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why? The paralyzed man because of my many addictions and my weakness.

• 4 months later...

1. Why do you think Jesus spoke the extremely controversial words, "Your sins are forgiven?" He could have been less offensive to the visiting guests. Why did he choose not to be?  My basic goal in my walk is to give the Holy Spirit full reign. I have asked for the anointing Jesus had with Father. Essentially to only do what he saw the father doing and say only what the father was saying. That would be perfect ministry for God bringing him Glory in the name of the Son. I truly believe that was the exact relationship Jesus had and kept fast hold of by his Quiet Time prayer life. Pinnacle example, Gesthemane, not my will but thine be done. Therefore, God’s choice for His perfect reasons.

2. What is the connection between sin and sickness in this passage? Hebrew belief on coupled sin and disease goes back to Exodus Exo 15:26  saying, "If you will diligently listen and pay attention to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His sight, and listen to His commandments, and keep [foremost in your thoughts and actively obey] all His precepts and statutes, then I will not put on you any of the diseases which I have put on the Egyptians; for I am the  N1 LORD who heals you." A standard reading / teaching of the scroll. 

3. Which of the two phrases IS easier to say? "Your sins are forgiven!" OR "Get up, take your mat, and go home!"? What point did Jesus want us to draw from this incident? Both are about equal, but speaking forgiveness of sins is far more the spiritual awakening of the Kingdom of Heaven being at hand. Healing took place through the prophets through the old testament. Jesus was more than prophet or rabbi.

4. Why did Jesus use the term "Son of Man" rather than "Son of God" or "Messiah"? The son of man term is throughout the bible for man. I couple it with our destiny as apostles from Joh 20:21  Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Joh 20:22  And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Joh 20:23  Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; andwhose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

That God forgives peoples sins releasing them from that burden. In our ministry to people we are told to bear others burdens. When folks keep giving the burden to God then taking it back. Many combat veterans have that offload and keep guilts gone failing. After giving it to God they take holh and worry again. On ministry path is to remind then bear another's burden, give it to me, let me give it to God so you can not get it back. The weight cam be immense upon your arms as you take it and raising the burden it lifts openly from them and then from you.  I firmly believe it is an early guidance to our ministry

5. Whom do you feel most like at present? The paralyzed man or one of the four friends? Why? The  Friends. I fully believe we are to lay hands upon the sick that they be healed. Also that the recipient believe to receive. Many times come to church we can pray for you is the more complete kingdom solution. The afflicted hears the message and gains faith in the family of God present, their love and compassion. The message and the anointing of the minister. Hopefully the seeds of a growing believer in our church family. Then if when the afflicted joins in faith to be prayed for great things can and do happen.