JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

23. The One

• 6 months later...

Q1.John the Baptist was in jail in a place that was in a desert and very high up, so it was difficult to get to. He was downhearted with lots of time to think and no one to discuss anything with. He heard reports of Jesus doing wonderful things for people as it was described in Isaiah 61v1, Preaching about the kingdom of God, healing the lame and the sick, raising people from the dead. John was expecting Jesus to bring judgement not salvation. He didn’t seem to be able to distinguish the first coming from the second coming. Jesus had to come first to provide a way of salvation, but He will come back to defeat His enemies and to bring judgement on the world.

Q2.John the Baptist , would have been taught the Scriptures by his father Zechariah who was a priest. John would have known them well and would have understood what Jesus’s message to him meant.

Q3.We don’t always understand everything we hear and read about Jesus and John was the same.   We have to put it to one side and not allow it to interfere with our relationship with God , which would interrupt our spiritual growth. We may never understand but we must trust God because we know that He is faithful and everything He says is true. Deuteronomy 29v29 The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

Q4. I have always found that if I am in distress of any kind that once I turn to the Lord and spend some time with Him I always walk away feeling calmer, and more able to deal with the situation. It doesn’t take the problem away but it brings assurance that God is in it with me, leading, guiding and comforting. 
During this time of lockdown, I keep in contact with a few women that I normally visit, by phone, and by text. It is not the same as personal visits but it does help. I sometimes pray with them especially if there is a new worry troubling them. I think sometimes just keeping in contact can help people. They realise they are not alone. When we are not in lockdown I would give some practical help as needed. 

• 1 month later...

1. Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was?

John was expecting judgement as will be seen in Jesus' second coming. Jesus first came with Salvation, mercy and grace. 

2. Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did he let his deeds speak instead?

Jesus  generally answered by questions or parables or, as in this time deeds.

John knew the Scriptures which were available at that time. He was very familiar with the prophetic writings. (His father was a priest and would have shared much with him). Jesus answer to John's disciples made him reflect on what had been written by the prophets and he could make his own deduction and answer his question himself. 

3. How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me"?

It is all fine. Accept what you don't understand. Don't let it trip you up or bring in doubts. 

4. How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty? How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden?

My work contract was finished and there was no prospect of another. This broke me. I felt let down, not accepted, useless, you name every negative discription you can think of. Nothing lifted. 

Lord Your will be done. 

A move came about and injury, "lock-down", injury, hospitalization, small amputation, healing (not only physically but also spiritually) and God could work. 

He is mighty, powerful, amazing, awesome, (you name it) 

I can only encourage you by saying, let go (of the hurt, the familiar, the desires, the fear) and LET GOD

Hardships can drag down our faith and then doubts start entering our mind. A year earlier John was the first to proclaim Jesus as the One who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29b), and I think, as John languishes in prison he begins to have doubts about Jesus’ identity. If Jesus was truly the Messiah, why didn't He exercise His power in freeing John? He was expecting that when Messiah comes, there's going to be a holocaust of judgment, the overthrow of the Romans, and the coming of His kingdom. But he hears that instead of judgment, Jesus is performing miracles, demons are being cast out, and people are being healed. It's all about compassion and tenderness and love and mercy. To John, Jesus was not acting the way He should have, and this must have planted the seed of doubt. Let us never suppose that God must limit Himself to act as we think He should. It is up to us to adjust to what God is doing – not the other way round. So, John sent two of his disciples to ask Jesus if He were really the Messiah, or if the Christ was still to come. It may seem strange to us that John should ever question Jesus, for if a man of such great commitment and faith can have doubts, we need not be overwhelmed at our own uncertainties. And also, we must remember that great men of the Bible have suffered brief lapses of faith. I must say that when I was younger, John’s doubt this was a problem to me. It worried me and I could not understand how John of all people could be doubting our Lord. It just did not make any sense to me. We often mention how important our faith is, but never say anything about how normal it is to go through periods of doubt.

2. Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did He let His deeds speak instead?

Being in prison, John must have been confused since he only received reports about Jesus that were unexpected and incomplete. Jesus knew this and for this reason didn’t answer John’s question directly or even rebuke him for his doubt. Instead, He responded in a way that John would understand: Jesus explained that He had accomplished what the Messiah was supposed to accomplish. He points to His demonstration of power, His healing and preaching, alluding clearly to Isaiah 35:5; 61:1-2. Jesus point is that the Messiah has arrived, something He already announced in the Nazareth synagogue (Luke 4:17-19). Jesus’ mission is not to conquer the Romans but to conquer sin and Satan and win the Romans and all nations to Himself. We see that what Jesus did was to redirect John’s expectations of what will occur.

3. How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of Me"?

Jesus does not reprimand John for having asked, “Are you the Coming One, or must we look for someone else?” Instead, He gives John a very gentle rebuke, and reminds him that a special blessing awaits him who does not fall into this trap but continues by God’s grace to trust. Jesus now proceeds to praise John publicly and to rebuke those who were finding fault with him. Here we see the tender love of Jesus in His treatment of John, in His defence of John, and the upholding of John’s honour before the crowd. Only once we face our doubts honestly can we begin to resolve them.

4. How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty? How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden?

In times of confusion, doubt, brokenness, difficulty, trouble, or hardship I cling to certain anchors, promises in His Word to sustain, help, guide me.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (ANIV).

But, firstly there must be total commitment – body, soul, and spirit to the Lord. We don’t only trust Him for our salvation but also for understanding, and direction in our lives. We admit that we don’t always know what is best for us. Finally, we acknowledge our Lord Jesus in everything we do. Wonderful to be in almost continued fellowship with Jesus Christ! We will find He is in control and will direct us through His Word, through advice from godly believers, through the converging of circumstances, through the inward peace of the Spirit, or through any combination of these.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 (ANIV)

Sometimes we might be wondering what good can come out of our suffering heartbreak, tragedy, disappointment, frustration, and bereavement. We must remember that our lives are not controlled by impersonal forces such as chance, luck, or fate, but by our heavenly Father.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? Romans 8:35 (ANIV)

No adverse circumstance can separate us from the love of Jesus Christ.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 (ANIV)

Here again, nothing is found that might conceivably separate us from God’s love.

If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31b

• 2 weeks later...

1.    Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was?

I think he probably expected Jesus to come not just preaching the good news and performing miracles but to establish a kingdom where justice is enforced. May be John even expected Jesus to come and set him free from prison.

2.    Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly?

I sincerely still wonder too. But Jesus usually answers His disciples and others in parables anyway.

Why did he let his deeds speak instead?

The deeds will clearly make John to recall what God had earlier revealled to him in his prophesies.

3.    How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me"?

To keep believing and not to doubt

4.    How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty?

By the Holy Spirit leading me back to relevant scripture that encourages me to keep trusting God despite what I see, think  and feel

How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden?

Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was?

I think that John had begun to realize that he was going to die Herod's prison. And his belief of who Jesus (the Messiah) was, happens to be similar to that of the Jewish nation of Israel. That He would be a conquering King and would set things right with the Romans and this non-Jew Herod on the throne, as king of the Jews. The King should be in the line of David.

Jesus gave John's disciples His mission statement, along with its results and dismissed them. He went on to praise John to His disciples, like no other.

John was the greatest man ever born by a woman. But he was still a man with all our fears, faults and doubts. He must have both exalted God in the news his disciples brought back and despaired in it also. For he now knew the Jesus is the foretold Messiah but saving him from Herod's prison is probably not part of the plan. 

• 1 month later...

When John testified about Jesus he spoke of someone who would come with a winnowing fork and burn the chaff with unquenchable fire. And he was right—Jesus will, someday, judge people. He will separate the righteous from the unrighteous (and those who reject him will be condemned). But that will be during the Second Coming. When Jesus first came to Earth, during John's lifetime, he came to teach, heal, minister, and save. John either didn't know this or had forgotten about it, and.that led him to doubt Jesus' identity.

2. Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did he let his deeds speak instead?
John was troubled by Jesus' deeds—Jesus' gentle ministry wasn't what he expected. That's why, when Jesus answered John, he spoke of his deeds specifically. He couched them in terms that recalled, to John's mind, passages from Scripture that spoke of the Messiah. He was reminding John that Isaiah said that the Messiah would restore sight to the blind, cast out demons, heal disabilities, and proclaim the good news—the very things he was doing, in fact.

3. How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me"?

John's expectations weren't fulfilled by Jesus's words and actions. Jesus was gently reminding John, as one man of God to another, not to be frustrated if Jesus was carrying out his ministry in a way that didn't seem to conform with John's expectations. 

That's a message Jesus has for us today, too. We shouldn't 'judge' him or reject his words and authority just because we don't see him doing the things we wish to see. We don't have his wisdom—we can never hope to see or understand the bigger picture. If we question God stubbornly over every action or if we hurl accusations against him when things don't look 'fair' or 'right', we're rejecting his authority, wisdom, and possibly his blessings.

It's a sad fact that the times I've called out to God with the greatest sincerity have been times when I've been broken. It's when I'm afraid that I seek God the hardest. It's when I'm confused, lost, tired, or miserable that I let down my barriers fully—that's when I receive God mostly richly. I'd encourage anybody who is burdened now to use this opportunity to call out to God. Whether your crisis is related to money, health, your loved ones, or your job, your problems can never be bigger than God. Think about how wonderful it would be if you no longer carried those burdens. Release them to God. Pray for his peace, guidance, and help. And he will answer you.

God has often spoken to me through Bible verses. This is one verse he gave me during a time of need: 
Phillipians 4: 6 - 7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was?

I think that John the Baptist had doubts because Jesus wasn’t doing everything that John thought He should be doing.

Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did he let his deeds speak instead?

Jesus didn’t answer John’s question directly because He knows the actions speak louder than words. So Jesus wanted John to see the actions that He had taken.

How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me"?

John probably took Jesus’ mild exhortation to probe him to continue to believe in him even though He hadn’t done everything that John had expected him to do.

How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty? How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden?

As a rule I have turned it over to God and I have seen that it has all worked out in time. Maybe not in the way that I though it should have, but it did work out.

Bailey,Greetings 6/28/21

Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about Jesus was?  John knew of the judgement, the miracles  and the great deeds Jesus had done, but he had not seen His Judgement, which he had expected. John also expected answers, which Jesus did not give him.

2. Why didn't Jesus answer John's questions directly?  Why did he let his deeds speak instead.  Jesus quoted Luke 7: 22 - 23.  There was no way that John could know that the Messiah's healing and atonement would come first, separated  by thousands of years from judgement that would signal at the end of the age.  I believe John felt the heavy burden on his heart of what was to come and want maybe wondered if this cup could past from him.(being beheaded)

• 3 months later...

Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was?

Because of the fact that John was in the prison and awaiting to be executed by Herod the King of Jerusalem.

Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did he let his deeds speak instead?

It was in order to let the discipline and John the Baptist know that He was the Anointed One!

How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of Me.?,

As comfort and a sign that Christ was truly the Son of God.

How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty? How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden?

Whenever I have been confused and broken and didn't know what was going on. The Lord would bring a song to my mind to remind me that He was still cared. He did that last year when I was in the hospital and reminded me that He is the Waymaker! By telling them God will always work things out for them.

• 1 year later...
  1. Why do you think John the Baptist had doubts about who Jesus was? John had not seen or heard the walking out Isaiah’s prophecy. He was not hearing of a warrior king putting the Romans to flight which was a common desire of the people for the messiah. The deeper meaning of bringing judgement was not apparent though those offended by his ministry of power out of meekness to the poor, downtrodden lower caste surely offended the religious powers.  Thus bringing judgment upon the religious self righteous profiteers on religious practice who cared nothing for the full population.
  2. Why didn't Jesus answer John's question directly? Why did he let his deeds speak instead? The deeds matching the prophesies of his coming were iron clad proof. Fare greater powerful proof than ‘He said…”.
  3. How was John intended to take Jesus' mild exhortation: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me"?  Jesus was walking out the holy spirit lead path of Father Gods choice, not man’s expectations of a coming king. I believe that John who also walked an unusual obedient ministry walk and would more deeply learn from the low key meekness the true nature of the age of grace arriving with its first pages being written in the hearts of the poor. “The kingdom of God has come among you.” 
  4. How has God lifted your confusion and brokenness in a time of difficulty? How can you encourage those who are now under such a burden? Ex twice associate Pastor. Called back to work in a new place, church doing well. Hearing ‘pray’ and no other instruction. It was a fit in, do not expect to stand out understanding. Importance Almost forbidden. Some months perhaps a year I was filling in as catcher during body ministry after a powerful guest preaching the spirit said “third string fill in”. OK, no issue I must be getting this right. This low key placing is right.  Soon Pastor was beside me and ‘tell him’ was the instruction.  I turned to pastor and softly said, “God said to tell you I am a third string fill in”…. He responded ‘Oh Good.’  I knew that Father is pleased with you fitting to a needed role rather than your needing your own previous walk in authority…. The understanding of the low key seeking no position as important came clear with time.  Those with worry, remember everyone has needs and troubles you know nothing of. Your obedience to walk Gods needed role is seriously important. If you are in the fire of the crucible remember the dross is coming to the surface to be cleared away, and the quiet deeper trusting walk of faith is developing within you. Broken is a repeating selection criteria…….