JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

25. Anointing

• 6 months later...

Q1.The expression on Simon’s face would have been one of disgust, mixed with wonder and judgement! Simon has judged this women as being sinful, the only reason she is in his home is that it was the custom for people to come into homes to listen to the dinner conversation when the guest was a Rabbi. If he had tried to stop her it would have caused a fuss and made him look bad. Simon also made the judgement that Jesus could not be a prophet because if He was he would know the woman’s sinful background and He would not allow her to touch Him. Simon wonders why would Jesus allow this woman to attend to His feet in this manner it was scandalous especially given her reputation in the community.

Q2.The sinful woman had probably heard Jesus teaching and accepted His forgiveness and is now overwhelmed with gratitude for the peace she is experiencing in her life. She has heard that Jesus is dining in this house and has taken the opportunity to humble herself in front of everyone present to show her thankfulness, her love, and her willingness to serve Jesus.

Q3.Jesus is no respecter of persons, if this woman was humble enough to wash His feet and loved Him so much to use her expensive perfume on Him , He was not going to stop her. He also knew the motivation of her heart and just how pure and loving that motivation was. Jesus did not care what Simon and his friends thought, they were all wrong! However Jesus did take the opportunity to try to show Simon and those listening the difference between himself and the woman by telling them a story. Jesus then went on to compare Simons lack of warm hospitality to the woman’s overwhelming love for Him.

Q4.I think my love for Jesus is somewhere between Simon’s and the woman’s! I don’t think I would have had the nerve to do what she did . If I am honest I would fear public opinion. I would do things more privately. I do know my love for Jesus and the things of God are increasing all the time. I long to walk closer and closer to Him. And look forward to going home when He calls me! 

• 1 month later...

i agree that the woman was forgiven of her sins before she entered the home of the pharisee.  Jesus already knew she would be there and knew of her actions...what i never realized was that with the woman kissing the feet of Jesus, we see that Jesus resisted temptation of sexual ****.  If He was a false prophet or and evil spirit or the anti-christ he would have used the woman's affection in fulfilling his own sexual ****.....it has been said by many that Jesus never faced the temptation of sexual sin, but this is an example of the LORD resisting temptation to commit adultery or fornication.

Mark E. Marek

San Antonio, Texas 78250

1. How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?

Simon’s expression must have been one of disgust, shock, and embarrassment. Disgust - here was this woman with a notorious reputation in his house, near his table, touching Jesus’ feet, weeping and pouring perfume on the feet of his guest. Shock - this was a shocking scene. Her action of letting her hair loose and wiping His feet with her hair alone would have been scandalous enough, but the added action of her kissing His feet would have been even more shocking. Embarrassment – he must have been embarrassed, both for himself and for his guests. He had invited Jesus because the people were saying that He was a great Prophet (Luke 7:16), but here was Jesus allowing a sinful woman to anoint His feet! For this to happen must mean that Jesus is a fraud, for no Prophet would ever allow this to happen. He concluded, “If God had really sent Jesus, He would know what kind of woman is touching Him” and would have told her to go away.

2. What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus?

She had met Jesus earlier, and He had forgiven her sins. A complete change had taken place in her life, and she was no longer the person she had been. She had to see Jesus, she had to thank Him! However, she knew of Simon’s reputation for high moral standards and that they all knew about her reputation. There was a possibility that she would be driven away. So, she showed great courage and determination in having gone to Simon’s house. She wanted to express her gratitude and love to Jesus, but she quickly became so overcome with emotion that she couldn’t stop weeping with her deep emotions as she stood at His feet. She must have noticed that His feet are dirty, which is really a social disgrace, and instead of anointed His head, she starts washing His feet with her tears and long hair. Once His feet were clean she starts kissing His feet, and finally anointing them with perfume. This might at first seem like extravagant behaviour, but her sins had been forgiven, and the guilt and shame was gone. So much so that she couldn't even contain herself, since somebody who has been forgiven much, loves much. Here this woman whose sins were many has been forgiven, therefore she loved much. Where we see great love, we see great forgiveness - the greater the forgiveness, the greater the love.

3. Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?

Jesus let the woman continue because He wants us all to see the power He has to transform even the most despicable of sinners. Here He uses the very person that the Pharisee despised the most, the low-life, reprobate, wretched, immoral prostitute. Simon was disgusted by what the woman was doing, but then again he was satisfied in that it proved that Jesus was not who He said He was. No prophet, or man of God, who had divine insight, would ever allow such a woman to defile or touch Him, since she was well known in the town. However, her transformation was very clear to all those present. Jesus had explained that the woman had been forgiven her many sins (7:47), and that is why she was weeping; she was full of gratitude to the Lord. That is why she washed, kissed and anointed the feet of the Lord. But she did not do this in order to obtain forgiveness. She did it out of gratitude because of her sins which had already been forgiven her. All could see that her behaviour was tied to her forgiveness. They could see she was forgiven by the transformation that took place in her behaviour of joy, gratitude, love, and affection towards Jesus. Great forgiveness, great love. So, Jesus had used this woman as a clear testimony to His power to transform a life - the transforming power of His truth. The sad thing about this story is that Simon and his friends thought that they were religious and respectable, definitely not sinners, and had no need for Jesus, but we know that all who reject Christ, all who refuse to weep because of their sin, will die without Christ and, therefore, without hope.  

4. Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's? Why?

Simon, being a Pharisee, I assume was outwardly a good, upright, religious man; who tithed and fasted regularly, who never missed synagogue, and who prayed at least 3 times a day. On top of this he was a respected religious leader. Being a self-righteous, legalist – as a Pharisee he had no need of our Saviour. Jesus had nothing to offer him – he had it all. Since Jesus was getting a lot of attention and drawing large crowds, he wanted to find out more about this young Teacher, but he didn’t want to be seen as being too friendly with Jesus, so he kept everything formal, cool and distant. Even to not extending to his visitor the usual common courtesies. He did not provide a servant to wash Jesus’ feet, or as was customary to greet an honoured guest with a kiss – especially one who had been addressed with the title ‘teacher’. So, in addressing Jesus as ‘teacher’ Simon was not really sincere; it was almost a sarcastic use of the word. Neither did Jesus have oil poured on His head, which was also a sign of welcome. His actual motive in inviting Jesus into his house was to try to trap Him into saying or doing something which would give this Pharisee the ammunition he needed to ‘prove’ that Jesus was not a man of God – that He was a blasphemer! So, we can assume there was no love for the Lord from Simon.

In contrast the sinful woman, a prostitute, had exactly what Simon needed – a loving, thankful heart toward Jesus. Previously she must have heard Jesus say, “I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance” (Luke 5:32). Perhaps she had also heard of what Jesus said to another sinful woman, “Neither do I condemn you; go your way; from now on, sin no more” (John 8:11). Again, maybe she heard about greedy tax collectors being transformed after meeting Jesus. Sensing that here was a Man who did not condemn her. To show this amount of love she must have approached Jesus and had her sins forgiven. Now out of gratitude she needs to show her love – much forgiveness, much love. She showed a lot of courage to openly express her love for Jesus in this gathering that probably included many Pharisees. And so, she repented of her sins and put her trust in Jesus as the One who came to seek and to save the lost. I would love to think that my love for the Lord is more like that of the sinful woman. Recognising that I’m a sinner and that I’m at the mercy of Jesus; for without Jesus there is no forgiveness of sins and I would be hopelessly and helplessly lost in my sins. Also, I’m not ashamed to express my love and gratitude for Jesus (Luke 9:26), in spite of what people might think. I should be even more grateful than this woman since I know about the Cross. About Jesus having died for me. God sent Jesus Christ to die for me, and this while I was still a sinner, not because of any good in me, but because He loved me (Rom 5:8). Absolutely amazing!

How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?

He was probably horrified. It all happened in his home, where he was responsible for the safety of  the one who entered by invitation. 

It could also be that her actions made him feel guilty. He had not arranged for the Rabbi's feet to be washed. 

Then too he looked at this whole scenario, in anticipation, wondering if Jesus would recognize who it was that was touching him. 

What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus?

She came with a heart full of affection (love) and gratitude because of what Jesus had done for her, with the express purpose of anointing Him. She stood at his feet, washed them with her tears. Dried them with her hair. Anointed them with the sweet smelling ointment. 

Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?

He did not see it as scandalous. He saw it as pure love and gratitude for she had been set  free from a sinful situation. Jesus saw the motive of the heart. He looks much deeper than what man does. 

Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's? Why?

I'd like to believe it was more like her love. I too have been forgiven much and have been saved from a life of  "sin and death". I am exceedingly grateful to the Lord for setting me free. 

• 3 weeks later...

1.    How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?

That of disgust and disappointment in his expectation from Jesus' holiness

2.    What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus?

To come and be changed and transformed from an ugly chronic sinner to a cleaned, transformed and forgiven follower of Jesus

3.    Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?

To me, what she was doing was not scandalous to Jesus but to judgment of the pharisees and others . This was why he allowed her to continue to love, worship and surrender to Him.

4.    Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's? Why?

I sincerely wish that my love for Jesus is as great as that of the sinful woman (or even greater)so that I can go to any length to worship and surrender all toJesus as she did

• 2 months later...

Simon probably was shocked, disgusted and irritated by the woman touching Jesus feet. As a religious leader bound by his customs and traditions, he was probably thinking about his own reputation too since a scandalous scenario was taking place under his roof by an uninvited sinful guest. The scenarìo must have drawn attention and people would wonder how Simon could allow a prostitute to come to his home to create such a scene .He must have been frustrated and disappointed even more because his honourable celebrity guest Jesus did not rebuke the sinful woman but rather allowed her to carry on.

I'm not sure Simon had any love for the Lord, so I would have to say my love is more like the sinful woman's.  I have done things I am not proud of and I am so thankful Jesus died on the cross to pay the price for my sin.  However, I must confess that oftentimes my behavior is more reflective of Simon than the sinful woman.  In my better moments, I humbly bow at Jesus' feet, acknowledge my sinful state, and worship Him. But far too often, I find myself forgetting all the bad things I have done, looking at the bad things others do, and judging them because they sin in a different way than I do.  So, oftentimes, I act more like Simon than the sinful woman.  Oh Lord, help me to humble myself before You!

How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?

It would be one of great disapproval and surprise.

What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus?

The motive had to have been that she had heard of Jesus and the miracles that he had performed and wanted to be forgiven for her sins.

Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?

Jesus understood what was troubling the woman and wanted her to show her gracious acceptance of Lord.

I would like to think that my love for the Lord is like the sinful woman’s. I study his word every day and praise Him what thing are going smooth. He is always on my mind.

BAILEY, GREETINGS 7-6-21          How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?   I looked at this in several ways, Simon did not look or feel uncomfortable with the presence of this woman as if she was not unfamiliar with his home, and also a bit of jealousy toward Jesus',   His contempt was more toward Jesus.!  Even though it is not mention, was their a relationship between them, the woman and Simon?  

2.  What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to Jesus?    I really don't like the word MOTIVE could she have been their to hear the Rabbi speak.  Like many women going through some type of struggle in their lives, the desire to hear words of comfort and love that will place in a better place and make them feel like they are somebody.

3.  Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous ?   It doesn't say in the material what she looked like, She reached out in faith, she was spiritually grieving and came to the only person who could make her whole. Her love for Jesus was greater than anyone else in that room.  She knew her circumstances could not be forgiven until she touched the feet of Jesus a sign of her repenting.

4.  Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's?  Why    I not perfect by no means and my love for the Lord is more like the sinful woman.  Each day I thank him for his grace and mercy for allowing me another day.  My Christian journey has not been easy, trials', heart ache, pain, suffering from sickness, but I made it.  Simon was one with the Motive, maybe how he could try and trap Jesus.  I don't know, but from the readings, his heart was not right. 

May we all pray for lost sinful women out there looking for someone and we pray in Jesus name they find the Kingdom and hear the Good news of Christ.  May they never be lost as long as they got King Jesus.

• 2 months later...

What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to Jesus? 

I think she was grateful for the teachings of Jesus and it touched her heart. She loved His words and His teachings and wanted to show her appreciation for Him, and how much she valued Him. She brought such a precious box of ointment to his feet, so that she could wash his feet with her hair. She felt honoured to be able to clean his feet and was so touched that she cried. In the face of her Saviour, she was so aware of her sinfulness and unworthiness and cried with the guilt of sin. 

• 1 month later...

1. How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet?

I would have to say disgust, judgment, ridicule, bitterness, anger, and many more.

2.    What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus?

To get forgiveness from the Lord for her sins 

3.    Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?

To me, I believe it was to show the Pharisee who was more repentant and who was more likely to be thankful for being forgiven. 

4.    Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's? Why?

I have found that since I have been given a second chance at life by the Lord and that God knows how much I appreciate it.

• 1 year later...
  1. How would you describe the expression on Simon the Pharisee's face when he saw the woman touching Jesus' feet? Several come to mind. Unhappy as someone is intruding on my nicely planned dinner. Oh No not Her! And Oh no her hair her hair. Astonished.
  2. What was the sinful woman's motive for coming to see Jesus? I agree with your analysis she came to deliver a gift of respectful returned love for his proclaiming of the good news, forgiveness of sins burdens. What can I give… in return… what is most valued in my house.. the oil…
  3. Why did Jesus let her continue, since by all appearances what she was doing was scandalous?  Jesus respect of individuals each, though among a crowd. He knew her need to reciprocate with gift that only could come from a heart of love. 
  4. Is your love for the Lord more like the sinful woman's or Simon's? Why? The sinful woman. I was literally rescued on my death bed by crying out to God I can not take the pain that the care will cause this broken body. I had to have the patience to put up with the pain.  From a oh you know me god type christian, I became someone who owed a debt beyond payment and knew it was a free gift to me. Miracle upon miracle turning a 9 month expected hospital stay into home by ambulance on 42nd day. Back at work 6 months to the day of my accident. I am now more than 13000 days past dead in the ICU bed revived time and time again. On life support, unable to breath on my own. Every day I have been given is God’s gift to me. Only by acting in love to others who are lost, stollen, and stray sheep can I ever give God my thanks for turning my end into a new beginning. Salvation paid in full, I do not owe him. I Love Him. She and I are family, I say with tears in my eyes.