JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

36. Confession

• 9 months later...

1. Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until He could be alone with His disciples? Why do you think He was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

As a result of Jesus’ miracle feeding of the five thousand, there was what almost seems to be mass hysteria. So much so that they wanted to appoint Him as their king (John 6:15). Because of this hysteria Jesus did two things before confronting His disciples about who He is. He sent them away, so that they would not get caught up in this frenzied enthusiasm, and then, He Himself withdrew from the crowds for a time of private prayer (John 6:15). The disciples needed to have a deep, personal appreciation of who Jesus is before He could share with them the pathway ahead and invite them to follow Him in a life of devotion and sacrifice. Jesus had prayed all night before choosing His disciples (Luke 6:12–13), and now He prayed before asking for their personal confession of faith.

2. Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before He asked His disciples what they believed?

Jesus breaks the question into two parts. He first asks His disciples what the people believe before asking what they believe. I feel that Jesus asks not because He needs an answer, but because His disciples need it. Their response to the first question echoes a lame list we’ve heard before (9:7-9). Jesus wanted His disciples to fully understand and know all their options available, and what was the religiously/politically correct view, before they took the very opposite view and confessed that Jesus as Messiah and God. That they did so in full knowledge that their answer would be against the grain, against the trends, and against the popular opinions. Once they were alone, Jesus asked what the people thought of Him, and they responded by saying that in general, they were acknowledging Him to be a great man - equal to John the Baptist, Elijah or other prophets. This response revealed that the people still didn’t recognize Jesus’ true identity. They had been together for about two and a half years, and He needed them to take a stand before telling them for the first time about His death on the Cross, and that they will be moving their ministry south to Judea. During this time, He has taught them revealed and disclosed to them who He is, by His teaching, by His power over demons, disease and death, and by His power over nature. So, He asked, “Who do you say I am?”. This is a question which really puts a person on the spot, and demands an answer. This is the most important question they will ever have to answer, and their answer will determine where they will spend eternity. Acting as their spokesman, Peter answered “The Christ of God”. Collectively they had previously already stated that He is Lord, He is the healer, the miracle worker, and now they affirm that He is God’s Messiah. This revealed that they had a deep insight into Jesus’ identity. They did not understand the exact nature of Jesus’ ministry, but they knew one fact for sure - Jesus was the Messiah.

3. Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? What are the obstacles you face in expressing this?

I know that when you truly believe something it is difficult to keep it secret. So, when we are genuinely born again, we will find it difficult to keep the news about Jesus a secret. We will want to share our Saviour Jesus Christ with all, to tell all about Him, and all that He has done in our life. The ups and the downs we have experienced, and His loving support during our times of hardship. About His love, His saving grace, His promises, faith, trust, hope, and the Holy Spirit. All things have become new, we become new creatures in Christ (2 Cor 5:17), and ultimately we will be like Jesus. Yes, when I was much younger working in a hostile environment, I’m sorry to say, I found it difficult to express my love and faith in Jesus, to my shame. Not anymore!

4. If you have never openly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus.

Dear God, I have sinned and fall short of Your glory, I have repented and I now put my trust in Your One and Only Son, Jesus Christ for my salvation. With the help of the Holy Spirit, help me to obedient to Your Word and live my life for Jesus, my Lord and Saviour.

I gave my testimony at my church, in front of the congregation many years ago. I know that God has granted His righteousness to me, through my faith in Jesus, and I have the promise of eternal life. "For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).

Q1. Jesus knew He had serious questions He wanted to ask His disciples, and He also had planned to tell them about what was going to happen to Him in the near future. Jesus could not do this in a meaningful and proper manner if they were in the midst of a large crowd who were eager to hear Jesus teaching or people anxious to get up close to Jesus because they needed healing. So Jesus has drawn apart from the crowd and brought the disciples to a quiet place for a time of prayer and discussion.It was usual for Jesus to be in communication with His Father and especially before important events, eg before choosing his apostles (Luke 6v12). Praying in the Garden of Gethsemane before His passion and crucifixion. (Luke 22v40-46.) I am sure Jesus was asking His father for the correct words to say, and  praying that the disciples did fully understand who He was.

Q2.That question is almost like an ice- breaker before the real question comes. The disciples get the opportunity to discuss and talk about all the different people that Jesus is thought to be by those who have seen and heard Him. There is a distance and a remoteness in talking about others but now Jesus gets to the real question, there can be only an honest and straightforward answer to His question.

Q3.I find that it depends on the situation and the person I am speaking with! Sometimes it can be so easy and joyful to be able to share with someone what Jesus has done for us. At other times it can be difficult, I find it hard if I am looking for an opportunity to say something and I can’t see an opening. If I feel the person has absolutely no interest in God or the things of God. If it is someone I have tried to speak to before and I have had a negative answer. I find with my children they have answers for everything I say and I think of great answers when the conversation is over. I know that I should find it easier if I loved Jesus more, but I find it hard to persist if a person doesn’t want to hear. 
Q4. I first declared my faith in Jesus publically when I was baptised at the age of 42. I have given my testimony on a few occasions when I have been asked. I thank God that He chose me to be part of His family. It is a constant source of wonder to me that Jesus left the splendour of Heaven and came to this sinful world and was born and lived in truely humble circumstances. During His public ministry He was rejected and reviled and disbelieved by many, this culminated in His torture, persecution and crucifixion on a cross. All so that I and all humanity could choose to spend eternity in His Glorious Presence. All we have to do is turn from our sinful way of life and follow Him. Romans 6v23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.Romans5v 8 But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:37 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until he could be alone with his disciples? Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

These were  very thought provoking questions and the disciples needed to get their thoughts around them to be able to get their own answer, without mass-hysteria. 

Both their answers to these questions and what was to follow was 'huge'. The time had come where there was a turning-point in their ministry together. Now whatever happened it was in the open who they believed He was. It would no longer be speculation. Then on top of that He had to prepare them for  what was to come, viz., His death by crucifixion. 

He definately needed time alone in prayer for strength and guidance around these issues. 

After all said and done, He had come as MAN

2.  Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before he asked his disciples what they believed?

They needed to get out in the open what was said about Him first. Then they could formulate their own answer viz., either agree or give a new answer. Peter  then, as spokesman for the group, said what He believed in his heart to be the truth. YOU ARE THE MESSIAH OF GOD

3.  Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? What are the obstacles you face in expressing this?

Sometimes it just comes tumbling out. (Depening on the situation). The difficulty is that one can be misunderstood. 

The obstacles are often words and also once one starts it can be difficult to stop. My Lord has done so much for me. There is so much to share. 

If you have never openly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus.

My Jesus appeared to me in a dream. I will just share the last bit. He looked at me and stretched out His arms and said, My child, will you come. Whereupon I ran into His arms and felt His loving embrace. This love which so embraced me has found no equal in the 55 yrs since. This love has carried me in the hellish experiences I encountered in this time. This love forgave me, for the way I wronged Him. This love will carry me to the end. 

I love Him with all of my heart. He is my all-in-all. 

• 1 month later...

1.    Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until he could be alone with his disciples?

He did not want the reaction by people to distract His mission. The ordinary people who like Him would want to make Him King while Jews would pounce on Him and kill Him prematurely.

Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

He wanted the ripe time and also, to prepare the minds of the disciples.

2.    Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before he asked his disciples what they believed?

To assess the difference between what the disciples know and what the people think 

3.    Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? What are the obstacles you face in expressing this?

i do not think it will be difficult to express what we know if really do know. The possible obstacle is being shy to declare or express among the non belivers

4.    If you have never openly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus.

I have declared my belief and acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour at my final year in Primary School. This was when the Christian Religious Knowledge shared to the class why we need to accept Christ as our Lord and Saviour, Some of us responded and declared our faith in Christ as early as that. But my standing firm in faith was characterized by ups and down when I would back slide but will get up and back again. I appreciate you Pastor Dr. Ralph because you have been strengthening my faith with the Jesus Walk programmes that I have been participating for more than ten years now (I think). I usually do not want to miss the programmes and will ever endeavour to participate in your programmes. May the Lord God Almighty bless and keep for us. Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, Irmela said:

If you have never openly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus.

My Jesus appeared to me in a dream. I will just share the last bit. He looked at me and stretched out His arms and said, My child, will you come. Whereupon I ran into His arms and felt His loving embrace. This love which so embraced me has found no equal in the 55 yrs since. This love has carried me in the hellish experiences I encountered in this time. This love forgave me, for the way I wronged Him. This love will carry me to the end. 

I love Him with all of my heart. He is my all-in-all. 

Thank you for sharing.  That was beautiful.

Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

Maybe during His prayer time, the Spirit prompted Him that now was the time to ask the disciples these questions.

Like Katy, my first public declaration of faith was at my baptism when I was 23, although only my mother and the preacher were there.  I have shared my testimony a few times in front of small groups and with individuals.  As I mature in the Lord, He is blessing me with more courage to be who I really am instead of trying to blend in with the culture.  Praise God, one day I will not let what others think of me cross my mind at all when it comes to witnessing/working for the Lord.  

Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until he could be alone with his disciples? Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

A. I think that Jesus waited to ask these questions until they were alone because he wanted an honest answer and not a political answer. He spent time in prayer before asking these questions because he really wanted a direct answer.

Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before he asked his disciples what they believed?

A. He wanted to compare their answers to those that those he are talking about him. If he had something to compare it to then he would know that they really did believe in him.

Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? What are the obstacles you face in expressing this?

A. It is difficult to answer this question clearly because it sound like it should be more than a simple answer. The question sounds like you need to give a great dissertation.

A. It was after I had some classes in church school that I made this confession.

1.   In my opinion, Jesus waited to be alone to address the question of who they thought He was to His disciples because He did not want the interruptions of daily activities of the place of where they were to interfere or influenced their responds.  Many times, Jesus had expressed disappointment to His disciples for their lack of faith. He knew just where they were in their walk with Him spiritually.  He knew everything good and not-so-good about each of His disciples. Yet, He loved them and never gave up on them.  He prayed for them.  Jesus went to God for counsel and directions. I can imagine that Jesus went to God in prayer to receive God's affirmation and confirmation on how to best prepare His disciples for His death. He knew that the enemy would be targeting them with all of his might.  And that the scripture will be fulfilled, when He declared in the book of John (paraphrasing) "None have I lost."  

2.   Setting the tone, Jesus, who is the master planner,  knew exactly what He was going to do.  He wanted His disciples to respond to His question wholeheartedly when He ask them who do you say I am.  He knew there respond beforehand. It was not that He needed to know but His disciples needed to know.  It was a part of His plan in preparing His disciples for His death.   Therefore, when He asked them, who do they say I am?  In given it thought, they responded to what they overheard from conversations spoken about Jesus or from  remembrance of personal conversation they had with some of the people.

3.   Sometimes, it is difficult to express ourselves simply and clearly because we are not eloquent in words.  We cannot recall in scripture the verses that describe what it is we are trying to or want to say.  Not that you want to use "big" words but you lack the ability to convey exactly how you feel.  If you're in a setting where everyone is siting scriptures and projected Jesus in a manner that is so elaborate.  You don't open your mouth.  Your only response is "Amen, Hallelujah."  Writing is easier because you have many aides at your disposal.  But speaking is undoubtedly different. 

4.  Often, I made my declaration of my faith in Jesus, when I am ministering to someone.  Either they are either sick (hospice), battling a disease or are consume with problems of life itself.  I find comfort and courage in speaking as Holy Spirit leads me.  What a joy.   My relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ enables and empowers me to rise above my inhibitors and to exceed and excel in prosperity in the knowledge of Him.  

• 3 months later...

1.    Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until he could be alone with his disciples? Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions?

I believe that the reason the Lord chose to wait is because He didn't want the disciples to be influenced by the view of other people both the crowds and leaders to cause them to doubt what they were going to say. He wanted the Father's guidance on when to ask the questions so He would have the right timing for it. 

2.    Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before he asked his disciples what they believed?

I believe He wanted to know who really believed in Him and who did not. That way He could tell if their confessions were genuine or not. 

3.    Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? What are the obstacles you face in expressing this?

I believe we can be intimidated by the people around us, and it can cause us to doubt what we truly believe. For me my obstacles are the very fact I let people's opinions of me intimidate me. 

4.    If you have never openly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus. My confession of faith happened after I was baptized in Jesus' Name for my sins that I had not given over to the Lord. This was when my faith became real for me. I have had ups and downs however I now realize how much God wanted me to be real with Him then and even before that. So, I have chosen to forsake idols in order to be a pure, holy, blameless and spotless bride for Him.

• 1 year later...

Why do you think Jesus waited to ask these questions until he could be alone with his disciples? To isolate the apostles from the public and the power of the crowd listening. Why do you think he was spending time in prayer before asking these questions? My belief is the Lord always prayed daily and especially at points of change in his ministry.

Why did Jesus ask about what others believed before he asked his disciples what they believed? It set the background range of belief the apostles percieved.

Why is it difficult to be able to express simply and clearly what we believe? There are great differences in our levels of belief. Casual thoughts down to bedrock foundational beliefs which we live by without thinking. They are not only thought but foundation blocks of our being and actions. What are the obstacles you face in expressing this? Our concern for the spread of our statement. The trust we hold in our company of hearers.

If you have never whyopenly stated your faith in Jesus Christ, please do so today, and let others know that this is a new statement for you. If you have stated your belief in Jesus prior to this, please share with others the circumstances of when you made a declaration of your own faith in Jesus. While recovering from a motorcycle accident I spend many days watching LeSea ministies channel on the hospital tv. Often was an advertisement for a church I felt I should attend when discharged. I received a miraculous healing of my hip on my second visit. I went forward for salvation the next service.