JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

54. Martyrdom

• 9 months later...

1. Jesus gives four arguments for remaining faithful to Him in times of persecution in 12:4-12. What are these four arguments? 
In times of persecution our Lord assures us, as His disciples, of certain truths.
1. That we are not to be afraid of the ones who want to kill us; since they cannot do any more to us after that. The one to fear is God, who alone has the power to kill both body and soul, by throwing us into hell. This fear of our heavenly Father is an awe-inspiring reverence of His majesty and Holiness, knowing that He loves us and will not kill the soul. Also, we know that Jesus has already prepared the way to eternal life (John 14:1-3).
2. That we are not to be afraid since we belong to Him, and are precious and holy in His sight. We might pass through many trials but His tender love and care will never fail us, not even in the time of death.
3. That everyone of us who acknowledges Him as Lord and Saviour, the Messiah, the Son of God; He will acknowledge in heaven before the angels of God. We will hear Him say, “Well done, good and faithful servant!”
4. That when we trust God, though faith in Christ and reliance upon the Holy Spirit, we will not need to fear anyone, or worry about saying the right thing. The Holy Spirit will teach us and lead us into saying and doing what is correct. 

2. In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate His disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods?   
The worst our persecutors can do to us is kill us – nothing more. But when we think of it, this so-called ‘worst’ is actually the best for us, since it takes us into the presence of our Lord Jesus forever. Freedom from sin, sorrow, sickness, and suffering! There is no reason to be scared of God for He has promised that nothing can separate us from His love (Rom 8:38-39), and on top of this He has promised that He will never leave or forsake us (Heb 13:5). The fear of God is respecting Him, obeying Him, submitting to His discipline, and worshiping Him in awe. It means having such a reverence for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives. We are motivated by the love of God and His Holiness, while the world with its unbelievers are driven by the love of sin. And we know God hates sin. Unbelievers who do not fear God, have a good reason to be afraid, which they are totally unaware of, for God can take not only their life but their eternal soul as well. Spiritual death is the greatest loss imaginable – eternal separation from God – it’s a doom that should be avoided at all cost. Understanding this is enough motivation for us all. 

3. How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell? 
Jesus says that rather than fearing those who can kill us, we should “fear the One who after He has killed has authority to cast into hell.” Then, to emphasize an already strong point, Jesus repeats, “Yes, I tell you, fear Him!” God alone as the sovereign ruler of the universes has the right to be worshiped, and only God has the power to cast into hell – which is the ultimate destiny of Satan and all his followers – when they are thrown into the fiery lake of burning sulphur, and will be imprisoned eternally (Rev 20:10). He is talking about the place of eternal torment; a place for all who die without Christ as their Saviour. We might think that Satan has power to send people to hell, because he is called the god of this age (2 Cor 4:4), but this is absolutely not true. We are never to fear Satan as our Lord, the source of peace, will give us a swift victory over Satan (Rom 16:20). We are to resist Satan by submitting to God, listening to Him, obeying Him, using the Word of God as the Sword of the Spirit, closing our ears and hearts to his suggestions and temptations (James 4:7). If we resist him, he will flee from us. We must be aware of his schemes (Eph 6:11); they may be discouragement, frustration, confusion, moral failure, and doctrinal error. He knows our weakest point and aims for it. If he cannot disable us by one method, he will try for another. The whole world is under the control of the evil one (1 John 5:19), but our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ has overcome Satan’s evil. We might feel easily frightened by all the wickedness we see all around us, and be overwhelmed by the problems we face in this world. Evil is obviously much stronger than we are, but God is even stronger and He will conquer all evil. “The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4)! 

4. How do thoughts of sparrows and hair counts assure Jesus' disciples? (12:6-7) 
Jesus spoke words of encouragement to His disciples, using the sparrows as an object lesson, to remind them of how precious we all are to Him. Assuring them that if God is concerned about each sparrow, how much more will He take care of those who are created in His own image and who have been born into His family and are forever His children. If He knows the needs of each sparrow, how much more does He know our needs? We are not to be afraid since we are worth more than many swallows (12:7), and He cares for all His people even if they pass through many trials. Our Lord then follows up with another example, saying that God loves His people so much that He even cares about the smallest details of our lives - down to knowing the number of hairs on our head. We are to fear and reverence the One who values us, not the one who opposes us, and because of His care there is no need for us to live in fear. One of my favourite verse is 1 Peter 5:7: “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you”. What a privilege we have to cast all our anxieties on Him knowing that He cares! 

5. It is not too difficult when a person is called before a persecutor or court of law to determine if that person has acknowledged or denied Christ. How much, if any, does Jesus' teaching apply to how we identify, or fail to identify ourselves as Christians, to those who come to know us? To whom are we obligated to identify our faith as Christians? 
It should not even be necessary for us to identify ourselves as Christians. Those who know us should be able to see this automatically by our words and actions. They should, among other things; see us living a moral upright life, honouring our Lord Jesus; see us openly acknowledge that we are followers of Jesus Christ, and that we are sinners saved by grace; see us loving others and helping them in need; see us looking for opportunities to share our faith with others; see us take a stand for justice; see us using our lives and resources to glorify Him, and carry out His desires rather than our own. These might not be visible all at once, but there must be signs of these as well as spiritual growth over time – growing in righteousness, love, and truth. Jesus said that all true believers who confess Him now will be confessed by Him before the angels of God. Jesus also said that all who deny Him, those who refuse Him and are ashamed to openly acknowledge Him, will be denied before the angels of God. In that day, He will say, “I never knew you.” It is when we sincerely repent of sins and place our trust in Christ for salvation that we are regenerated, born again, and become a new creation in Christ. 

6. Extra Credit: Christians in countries under Muslim and Hindu and Communist law have sometimes been executed for their faith. Is there a time to be a "secret" Christian, and what are the "rules" in those situations? We Westerners don't have to face this first hand, so we'll try not to speculate. Rather, in our e-mail discussion groups, let us hear from Christians who live in areas of active persecution. Please tell us what you have learned. We need your wisdom. 
I have never been in such a situation and therefore cannot comment. 

8. If God will forgive those who deny Christ, isn't it ultimately safer for believers to deny Christ now and then repent later? 
That would be deceitful and dishonest. We forget that Jesus knows our very thoughts and about denying Him because of our fear of man. Thinking that we can get away with this façade for the time being, and when it suits us we will repent and be forgiven and openly declare our love for Him. No this won’t work - it’s like playing games with the Lord, not trusting Him to look after us, and it shows that we don’t love/trust Him. Besides not being honest with Jesus we overlook the possibility of dying in unbelief. Who knows we might die in an accident, or whatever, that same day! We also forget about all the blessings He gives who love Him. This reminds me of that great verse in Romans 8:28, “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose”. Those who love Him, who are not ashamed of Him, have their lives controlled by their loving Heavenly Father, who is working all things together for their good. 

• 2 weeks later...

1.  Jesus gives four arguments for remaining faithful to him in times of persecution in 12:4-12. What are these four arguments?

(1) The ones who can kill the body, can do nothing more than that. (v4) So we do not need to fear our persecutors. It is God that we need to fear for He has the power to throw into hell. If we remain faithful to Him we will not need to fear being thrown into hell. (v5) 

(2) God, who takes care of everything, even the birds, who are not of much monetary worth, promises that He takes care of us too. (v6-7) How much more will He watch over us, in times of persecution. 

(3) If we remain faithful to God, even in times of persecution, the Son of Man will acknowledge us also before the angels of God. (v 8&9) We will not be disowned by Him, but He will claim us for His own. 

(4) If perchance we are brought before authorities (in times of persecution, be it to be set free or imprisoned or martyred) the Holy Spirit will give us the right words to speak. (v11&12)

Far better to remain faithful. We have nothing to lose and all to gain. Thank You amazing Father for Your faithfulness. 

2. In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate his disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods?

The worst the enemies can do is kill the body. They can do no more than that. (If we serve the Lord then to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord). We should sooner fear going against God for He has the Power to throw into hell. By being God-fearing we are more likely going to live right and shun sin, than openly walk into sin. As we grow closer and closer to our loving God, we will not want to disappoint Him by our wrong actions. It will be our desire to live right and have His approval rather than live in sin and gain His disappointment.

3.  How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell?

God alone has the authority(power, ability) to throw a person into hell. Satan does not have that authority. It is also only God's grace and mercy that keeps us out of hell. 

Satan's end will be the fires of hell. 

4.  How do thoughts of sparrows and hair counts assure Jesus' disciples? (12:6-7)

Sparrows are very small birds and the text indicates that even the seemingly insignificant is important to God. He does not forget them. Then something closer to home, even the very hairs of our head are numbered. Even the minutest detail of our lives are  important to God. So if the insignificant and seemingly unimportant details are noticed by God then we can rest assured that the person as a whole is also important to God. 

5.  It is not too difficult when a person is called before a persecutor or court of law to determine if that person has acknowledged or denied Christ. How much, if any, does Jesus' teaching apply to how we identify, or fail to identify ourselves as Christians, to those who come to know us? To whom are we obligated to identify our faith as Christians?

Our lives should by rights portray Christ. It is no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me. (Gal 2:20). I guess from this the people we deal with daily should be able to identify that we are different in our speech, in our mannerism, in the way we handle adverse situations, in just 'everything'. Not only the ones who know us well but also those who briefly come into contact with us. Our 'being' ought to catch their attention. 

Then too Jesus says if you acknowledge Me before men, i.e., if you agree that you are My follower, that You are Mine, that You serve Me ...  regardless of the outcome, even be it death, ...  then I will acknowledge you (as Mine) before the angels of God. ... We are not to suddenly deny knowing Him, just to stear clear of persecution or death. (He promises to be with us, even when we go through that experience). 

• 1 month later...

Q1. 1. Jesus tells His disciples not to fear those who kill their bodies, and after that can do any worse. Jesus is teaching the disciples not to fear death, He is teaching them about heaven so that it will reduce their fear of death. We fear death because we don’t really know what is coming next, it is the same as fear of the unknown! We must fear God instead because He has the power to throw us into hell. 
2. We do not need to fear if we are following Jesus. With God’s mercy and grace and forgiveness and His death on the cross He has redeemed us from all our wrong doing and He will bring us to Heaven after death. We are reminded that God cares for all the birds of the air so He will also care for us as we are more important to Him. God will not abandon us or forget us, He loves us too much. We must keep our eyes firmly fixed on Him all the days of our lives.

3.We must acknowledge God before Man. We must in every situation “ nail our colours to the mast” , in this way people will know what or who we stand for. No matter how hard it is Jesus will give us the grace we need to withstand any pressure. If we disown God , He will disown us before the angels in Heaven. 
4.We are promised that when we do need to speak out the Holy Spirit will be there to give us the words we need to say. He will equip the disciples and us to speak out clearly and boldly. Even if it means conviction and going to prison but God will us the experience to bring someone else to faith in Jesus Christ. 
Q2.I think at times maybe we do need to hear uncomfortable truths. It may serve to jog us out of complacency. We need to be careful how we use fear in speaking to others about Jesus. We need to balance fear with God’s great love, mercy, grace and death on the cross. We need to hear both the positive but also about what will happen if we walk away from God. Also that there is no one whom God will not welcome when they turn from their sin and follow Him. I think there has to be a balance struck between the things that cause us to fear and all the wonderful things about knowing God and being in His family.

Q3.Only God has the power to condemn people to hell. Satan can only do what God allows him to do. We see this in the book of Job where Satan has a conversation with God about Job, and God only allows Him to go so far with his persecution of Job. 

Q4. Jesus is teaching his disciples about how loved they are by God. He uses the illustration of a tiny sparrow, a little bird of insignificance but God looks after them all. So how much more is He going to look after us humans who are made in the image of God. Especially when we are standing up for Jesus! As if to drive His point home Jesus then goes on to say that He knows every hair on our heads. We are loved by God and He has promised in His word “ I will never leave you nor forsake you”. Joshua 1v5,Hebrews 13v5.

Q5.All of Jesus teaching about persecution applies to us. We should be know as Christians in all our spheres of life. I think it is best when we meet new people or we are in a new situation to immediately or as soon as possible make it clear that we are Christians. It makes it easier to refuse to take part or go to places that we don’t want to. I think you also need to develop a thick skin so that we are not offended when people snigger behind our backs or leave you out of things. It is good to take every opportunity to explain just what you do believe in, as many people don’t understand or have very wrong idea about what being a Christian is all about. As I write this I am very conscious that I am writing very much from a Western point of view, I have not as yet experienced real persecution and therefore cannot write about it. I am conscious that many of my brothers and sisters in Christ are at this moment suffering real and severe persecution day after day. I pray for you daily. 
Q8. I understand that God gives grace to persecuted Christians to go through the most horrendous suffering. I find that hard to imagine but He will give us the grace we need when we need it. Many persecuted Christians use their time in prison to minister to others. God is very real to them as they suffer. Many feel privileged to suffer for Christ. That does not mean they don’t experience fear and grief as well as pain and suffering. Many never recover from the injuries inflicted upon them. Most Christians would not think of denying Christ but count it a privilege to share in His sufferings.

• 2 months later...
  1. Jesus gives four arguments for remaining faithful to him in times of persecution in 12:4-12. What are these four arguments?

a.           Better to fear only God who can kill body and also throw soul into lake of fire than those who can only kill the body and do nothing else

b.           The sparrow is not as important as we are, yet God knows and cares about them. How much more of us, his children!.

c.           The Holy Spirit will help us to face our tormentors

d.           He knows the number of hears on our heads thus knows us very well and what we need- life hereafter, with him in heaven.

2.    In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate his disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods?

3.    How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell?

Only God has the power to throw any one into hell and not satan.

4.    How do thoughts of sparrows and hair counts assure Jesus' disciples? (12:6-7)

It assures Jesus’ disciples by knowing that if God pays such attention knowing every sparrow and number of hairs on our head, he can certainly pay much more attention on our welfare!

5.    It is not too difficult when a person is called before a persecutor or court of law to determine if that person has acknowledged or denied Christ. How much, if any, does Jesus' teaching apply to how we identify, or fail to identify ourselves as Christians, to those who come to know us?

I beg your pardon Dr Ralph?

To whom are we obligated to identify our faith as Christians?

To everyone around us and especially to those who persecute us by our confession, walk and works as a testimony/ evangelism etc

6.    Extra Credit: Christians in countries under Muslim and Hindu and Communist law have sometimes been executed for their faith. Is there a time to be a "secret" Christian, and what are the "rules" in those situations? We Westerners don't have to face this first hand, so we'll try not to speculate. Rather, in our e-mail discussion groups, let us hear from Christians who live in areas of active persecution. Please tell us what you have learned. We need your wisdom.

I hear that some Muslims in Nigeria who are secretly Jesus’ disciples. I am not sure if that is right. I personally think that every disciple should show his identity whatever the consequences.  

7.    Do you have an example to share of how the Holy Spirit has given you the words to say in situations of persecution?

NO

8.    If God will forgive those who deny Christ, isn't it ultimately safer for believers to deny Christ now and then repent later?

I don’t think so.

• 1 month later...

The four arguments Jesus gave to us for remaining faithful to Him in time of persecution is first, to fear God who has the power to cast us into hell, secondly, to have the confidence that God will never leave us or forsake us because He loves us and we are very important to Him  Thirdly, we are to always acknowledge Him and finally, to know with the full assurance of faith that the Holy Spirit will help you.  

Jesus wanted His disciples in time past and us, today, to know with confidence that we will be tried and tested by non-believers who are agents of the enemy.  He wants us to know His sovereignty and  power.  The enemy has no power or authority over us.  He cannot touch us without God's permission.  However, he is the master of deception and he can be persuasive.  If we truly understands who has all power and we do not waiver in this knowledge of truth than we can withstand opposition of the enemy.  But Jesus knows that we are flesh and how weak we can become at times of persecution.  So He encourages us to know with certainty that He will never leave us or forsake us and that the Holy Spirit that dwells within us is the great Comforter to help us and lead us.  We must be willingly obedient to our allegiance to Christ.   My efforts are not always effective and I fall short, but I try to stand on His promise that He will never leave me or forsake me.  My challenge or struggle is to overcome the will of the fleshly nature. 

I know that it is of God and not the enemy (I hate saying his name) that can both kill men and throw us into hell because God has all power.   God created all things.

Jesus related to His disciples and us, today, that He cares and loves us deeply.  He is truly acquainted with all our ways.  He knows every single strand of hair on our head.  If He cares for the least of the animals, we should know that we are of more valuable than the least of animals and God cares for us.  That is His unconditional love.  

Our reverence for Christ and our love for Him should be exemplified in our lifestyle.  When I am challenged with confrontation about the Bible, and/or contradictions of the Word of God, I always try to remember how Jesus response in answering Pontius Pilate's questionings and how He responded to the enemy when he tested Him on the mountain. He respond to the truth and not to false accusations.  God's Word is faithful and true.  

• 4 months later...

1. Jesus gives four arguments for remaining faithful to him in times of persecution in 12:4-12. What are these four arguments?

It is better that fear the very one who created you than man. For the Creator has power to send us to hell and destroy our souls while man can only kill the body and end our lives. He knows the number of hairs on our heads and in knowing this He also knows when we are truly obeying Him. When we choose to acknowledge our belief and trust in God; we will be acknowledged or be recognized by the very One who died for us. When we choose to renounce or deny it He will do likewise. Lastly when we are brought before people who actively persecute us for the faith we have; God Himself will give us the words to speak. 

2.    In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate his disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods?

Simply this we should not do it out of selfish conceit or desires; we should do it because we love the Lord and long to serve Him only. 

3.    How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell?

Because God Himself is the only one who can truly judge everyone by their deeds and decide whether they know Him or not. By how they act not just react to certain things shows where their true devotion is. 

4.    How do thoughts of sparrows and hair counts assure Jesus' disciples? (12:6-7)

It shows that He will never forget about them and knows what they will need before they say anything.

5.    It is not too difficult when a person is called before a persecutor or court of law to determine if that person has acknowledged or denied Christ. How much, if any, does Jesus' teaching apply to how we identify, or fail to identify ourselves as Christians, to those who come to know us?

I believe it largely deals with how much Satan has sifted or even attacked them because of their faith. When we choose to deny Christ, we are basically making a mockery of the Cross at Calvary for by the Lord's death we are set free. 

To whom are we obligated to identify our faith as Christians?

As Scripture clearly states to anyone who asks for the reason of the hope that is in us. 

6.    Extra Credit: Christians in countries under Muslim and Hindu and Communist law have sometimes been executed for their faith. Is there a time to be a "secret" Christian, and what are the "rules" in those situations? We Westerners don't have to face this firsthand, so we'll try not to speculate. Rather, in our e-mail discussion groups, let us hear from Christians who live in areas of active persecution. Please tell us what you have learned. We need your wisdom.

I believe that when you are a believer in Christ God will deliver you from it in one of two ways; through your persecutor coming to faith or He will take you home through execution. There is no other way around it. I however have actually been facing active persecution since my ministry has expanded and been in a constant state of evangelism counseling and doing all sorts of ministry activities. 

7.    Do you have an example to share of how the Holy Spirit has given you the words to say in situations of persecution?

Yes, God has told me in certain situations to tell the one who wants to scare me into intimidation that I am not afraid of being put to death for it is not I who live but Christ who lives in me. 

8.    If God will forgive those who deny Christ, isn't it ultimately safer for believers to deny Christ now and then repent later?

No God has said when you deny Christ, He will deny you before His Father. 

• 8 months later...

In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate his disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods?

I guess if it's a good enough method for Jesus to use, it's good enough for us!  However, I agree that it needs to be balanced with messages of God's love, just as Jesus does here when He talks about how God loves His children much more than the sparrows and even knows the numbers of hairs on their heads.

How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell?

Jesus tells us to fear the One who can cast us into hell.  Throughout all of scripture, the message is to fear God, no one else.  Jesus would not be telling us to fear anyone other than God.  We are never told to fear Satan, only to beware of him and his ploys.  

Extra Credit: Christians in countries under Muslim and Hindu and Communist law have sometimes been executed for their faith. Is there a time to be a "secret" Christian, and what are the "rules" in those situations? We Westerners don't have to face this first hand, so we'll try not to speculate. Rather, in our e-mail discussion groups, let us hear from Christians who live in areas of active persecution. Please tell us what you have learned. We need your wisdom.

I do not live in a persecuted area.  However, I do support organizations that aid martyrs.  I can only state what is reported in their newsletters that these martyrs have shared.  I will share what I know as I am sure they would not be able to participate in an online study like this without endangering themselves.  They often do have to live their faith and gather and worship in secret.  They are the underground church.  They have to rely on the Holy Spirit to know when and how to share the Gospel as they cannot do it openly.  The goal is to share the Gospel, not get themselves killed.  However, they all seem to have the understanding that if they get caught and are asked to recant their faith in order to save their life, that is not an option.  

If God will forgive those who deny Christ, isn't it ultimately safer for believers to deny Christ now and then repent later?

To do so would be to dishonor Christ and belittle His sacrifice for us. That statement would only be true if one considers safety only in terms of preserving this life.  As Jesus points out, we should not consider preserving this life when we think of safety, rather we should consider the safety of our eternal soul.  Why would we want to risk our soul by denying Christ and repenting later?  There is no safety in that!

• 8 months later...

Jesus gives four arguments for remaining faithful to him in times of persecution in 12:4-12. What are these four arguments?You may be killed and no more can they do. Have more respect for the threat there is one that can kill you and then send you to hell. Disowning Jesus before men and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit both guarantee hell is assured for you.

In the light of speaking and thinking positively, how should we evaluate Jesus' use of fear to motivate his disciples? How should this influence our own motivational methods? Saved and committed it is no threat to me. It is the main driver for my prayers for the lost. God wants them saved and failing to address that is rejection of the Holy Spirit. Failure to serk the lost is a serious breach of our covenant

How do you know that it is God, rather than Satan, spoken of in 12:5-6, who can both kill men and throw them into hell? Mat 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

How do thoughts of sparrows and hair counts assure Jesus' disciples? (12:6-7) our value as humans made in God’s likeness is of far greater importance to God’s eternal purpose than sparrows purpose.

It is not too difficult when a person is called before a persecutor or court of law to determine if that person has acknowledged or denied Christ. How much, if any, does Jesus' teaching apply to how we identify, or fail to identify ourselves as Christians, to those who come to know us? Fully. To whom are we obligated to identify our faith as Christians? Everyone, if our eyes shine with the anointing of our walk with Jesus our Lord about his work, and filled with the Holy Spirit ‘our eyes will be good’. Through our clear eyes will shine the light of God in our lives. We are truly different and farther from our original self every day. As we walk after our Lord.

Extra Credit: Christians in countries under Muslim and Hindu and Communist law have sometimes been executed for their faith. Is there a time to be a "secret" Christian, and what are the "rules" in those situations? I beleived the Holy Spirit guides to avoid intentional offence but ensures the gospel is spread. ‘The signs following’ our walk through those lands makes being secret impossible. After all by whom do they heal the sick and cast out devils?, We Westerners don't have to face this first hand, so we'll try not to speculate. Rather, in our e-mail discussion groups, let us hear from Christians who live in areas of active persecution. Please tell us what you have learned. We need your wisdom.

Do you have an example to share of how the Holy Spirit has given you the words to say in situations of persecution?  Ot as yet, but opportunity to work with those supporting those in dangerous land ministries.

If God will forgive those who deny Christ, isn't it ultimately safer for believers to deny Christ now and then repent later?I wonder: if forgiveness might be as a parent forgives as you do a serious error as you counsel the wayward child and you remain family: that does not absolve the child of criminal grade acts. Forgiven yet sorrow in the Lords eyes who loves you,  but your life walk does not align with the gifting, skills, abilities God had knit into our being while in the womb. Might that bring the judgement dat words of Revelation, “Depart from me I never knew you.”