JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

58. Head Servants

• 9 months later...

1. Extra Credit. What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41? Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all His disciples? 
Jesus told two parables in this study, the first one was in the last lesson (12:35-40), and the second one in this lesson (12:42-48). These two parables are joined together by Peter’s question (12:41). A question which Jesus did not answer directly. The second parable expands and explains the first – where Jesus was talking primarily about the leaders. In the first parable He was talking about servants and the master who had to be constantly vigilant and ready because He will come at a time when they will not be expecting Him. Jesus had been speaking about those who will be ready, but he also implied that some would not be ready. So, Peter was not sure if this included them and asks the question: "Lord, are you telling this parable to us, or to everyone?" (12:41). These parables were intended for leaders, servants, masters – that is all believers, all church leaders, and all His disciples. 

2. Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful? What is the process by which we can be restored in faithfulness if we have neglected it? How do we learn prudence and wisdom? 
We learn to be faithful through the Word of God, where the Holy Spirit bears witness to the lordship of Jesus Christ. The Word, being God’s very words, are the absolute truth, and are therefore completely reliable. Romans 10:17 tells us that “faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ”. We repent and put our trust in Him for our salvation. Now as born-again believers we further learn to be faithful by doing His will; by doing things in active obedience to our Lord. By devoting ourselves to doing good we are serving our Lord faithfully. The point is not what we should do to be saved but what we as a believer ought to do. If we ever find ourselves having back-slidden we have to get back into His Word and the full realisation of who our sovereign Lord is – the Jesus we serve. The more we know about Jesus, the closer we come to Him, and the more we will trust Him. The faithfulness that was neglected is restored, and even being strengthened. We are all His stewards, and since it is His earth, we should be committed to the proper management of the world and its resources. This way we will not only be faithful but wise as well. And the only way to learn prudence and wisdom is by reverencing God, by fully trusting Him, and by obeying Him. And the wisest thing we can ever do is to repent of our sins, trust Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and then live for Him wholeheartedly and faithfully. 

3. In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to? 
The analogy is that of the master who returns to his home, and finds everything in order, all his instructions had been carried out. He realises that he can trust the servant, and decides to give the servant more responsibility, even to go so far as to get him looking after all his possessions. Just as in the parable the master, upon his return, rewards his faithful servant by setting him over all his possessions, so also Jesus Himself at His glorious coming will bestow on all His faithful ones a high degree of glory and honour. Even giving us the kingdom as He had earlier promised in (12:32). And that's what eternity is going to be for us believers – eternal bliss, as we reign with Christ as a co-regent, as a joint heir! I can only imagine what eternity will be like. I like to think that if we have faithfully served Him here on earth, He will most likely give us meaningful responsibilities throughout eternity. 

4. Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around.) 
We see the petty master who has been given some authority over the other servants, thinking the real master will be gone for a long time, starts misusing this authority. Beating the servants, eating and drinking, getting drunk rather than giving them the food they need. There is plenty of time to live this life of deception, and time enough to change. This is a foolish illusion, since the master will come back at an unexpected time. These actions are the exact opposite of what our Lord Jesus demands. We see this behaviour today in our church leaders. They become power hungry living only for their own evil pleasure. This is seen in the many false teachers who destroy their followers spiritually, using them to line their own pockets and to live in a life of luxury off them. Unfortunately, there are these so-called Christian leaders who are tempted by earthly power and reward and live only for themselves. This is so sad, since we often hear about this. But the good news is that the faithful leaders far outnumber the unfaithful, and for this we thank our Lord. 

5. Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household? Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you? 
Yes, I believe God has given me much. Just the same as every other true believer. We have been entrusted with the greatest truths this world will ever know – His Word. And we have a great responsibility to put these kingdom truths to good use in our lives. The way we use these truths will be different for each one of us, but Jesus has told us how to live until He comes. I must watch for Him, work diligently, and obey His commands. At the same time trying to be a more productive servant by looking other opportunities and responsibilities as well. Our guiding principle must be that whatever we do, must glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31). However, the more resources, talents, and understanding we have, the more we will be required to use them effectively – this applies especially to leaders. Much has been given; much will be required. 

• 2 weeks later...

1.   What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41?

Peter's question comes after the parable of watching and being alert. The first one was for the return of the Master from the marriage feast and the second one being for the thief who comes to destroy. The latter explanation being the return of the Son of Man going to be unexpected just as a thief comes unexpectedly. 

We all need to be vigilant and on the alert. 

Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all his disciples?

To all, who become members of the household of God (the living church),  bond-slaves of the Lord and stewards. 

2.  Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful? What is the process by which we can be restored in faithfulness if we have neglected it? How do we learn prudence and wisdom?

We learn by example of others who are following the Lord. We learn by reading and hearing the Word of God. There are many examples of what  to do and what not to do, both in the Old and New Testament. 

We learn by being entrusted with little or minor duties and when doing these faithfully and can be counted on to do them without fail, we are given more responsibility. 

If we have failed or shirked our duties we need to apologize, truly repent and prove by our actions that we mean what we say and that we can be trusted again. 

We learn wisdom by the Word, by not giving up, by trusting God, by being faithful to Him. 

3.  In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to?

If we are found faithful in fulfilling the tasks allotted to us, we will be entrusted with more responsibility. Or given more authority. 

Jesus promises a reward in Heaven, viz., a 'Crown of Glory', which fadeth not away. 

4.  Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants?

The return of Christ has been looked for for a long time. So it could be that the thought of His return is not immediate and so they take it on themselves to fulfil the Master's position instead of the position allotted to them, that of servants of the Lord and your servants for His sake in His interests.

What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. 

The tending, feeding and guiding is often neglected as the question is put "Am I my brother's keeper?".

In actual fact we are all responsible for each other in the great Household of God. In Acts 20:28, Paul encourages the elders whom he had summoned to come to him, to tend, feed and guide the church of the Lord. In 1 Peter 5:2 the pastors and spiritual guides of the church are counseled to tend the fock of God (nurture, guide, guard and fold) willingly, eagerly and cheerfully. 

By the neglecting of feeding and tending the "flock" they are being beaten in a way, (they are "malnourished"). 

The luxury and drunkenness speaks of self comfort and luxurious lifestyles of many in high positions. The congregants are encouraged to give extensively and instead of this being used to tend the flock and be used for outreaches, etc., it is used to line the pockets. 

There is a fine line between using and abusing the authority God has given unto men. 

5.  Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"?

What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household?

Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you?

Each ones "much" is different. With age it also changes. 

For now in the circumstances we are in I need to be faithful in praying. Bringing before the Lord the needs I am aware of and where I can, fulfill it as the Lord leads. (with the potential He has empowered me with). 

• 2 months later...

Q1. I think Jesus intended these teachings for all disciples. The first parable is about about being awake and alert for Jesus second coming . The second short one is about no one knowing the day or the hour when Jesus will return. These teachings are applicable to all disciples including us. 
Q2. Faithfulness is first learnt at home taught by our parents. However as we really get to know God and grow in our love for Him faithfulness along with obedience, righteousness and holiness become very important to us. We learn about faithfulness through God’s word, we learn from the Godly people we meet , and it comes from within us because we want to please God. If we have wandered away and return, we need to ask for God’s forgiveness and then start at the basics of carrying out the things we have neglected regularly and faithfully. This may include reading God’s word, attending Church, going to prayer meetings and Bible studies and praying. Prudence and wisdom come from God’s word and example. James 1v 5 tells us If any of you lack wisdom , he should ask God , who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James3v17 says the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace loving , considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

Extra Credit. What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41? Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all his disciples?

A. I think that Jesus intended that these parables to be for all the disciples.

Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful? What is the process by which we can be restored in faithfulness if we have neglected it? How do we learn prudence and wisdom?

A. By taking everyday responsibilities and working them out. We can learn to be faithful by studying the bible. We can restore our faithfulness by repenting and asking God for forgiveness.

In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to?

A. I think that the spiritual analogy of this parable is that we will be given our crown if we continue to do the work he has assigned us here on earth.

Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around.)

A. I think that it is pride that makes them petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants. The analogy to this parable is that they will be sent to hell for not serving their servants.

Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household? Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you?

A. I think that God has entrusted me with “much”. I can take that trust and go help those that don’t have as much. I think that God is still wanting me to do the best with what he as entrusted to me.

Q3. The spiritual analogy is that if we act like this faithful manager, and carry out God’s wishes as He wants us to we will be rewarded for our faithfulness and given responsibility in the New Heaven when it comes. Revelation 2v10. Be faithful even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Q4.The leader in this parable becomes impatient and looses his focus on his job and his master. His own pride and sinfulness takes over. He forgets about his master and takes over his role of disciplining his servants and using his master luxuries for his own gratification. In our world today it is seen when people live as though there is no God, and their main focus is on themselves and what they want. Unfortunately a life lived like that incurs God’s wrath and eternal punishment.

Q.5.I believe God has given me much from two points of view First I have the privilege of knowing Him as my Lord and Saviour and having my Bible freely available to read and study. Secondly I have much from a material point of view…. Compared to many people throughout the world I am very wealthy, by standards in Europe I have sufficient to meet my needs without many luxuries.  With both of these situations I have responsibilities, first I must share my faith with those I come in contact with every day. I must help others to come to know my Lord and Saviour. Secondly I must share the material things I have with those less well off than I am. I am given these gifts from God to use for myself but also to use to help others. Everything I have comes from the Lord and when I use them for the Lord all I am doing is giving back part of what He has given to me.

• 1 month later...

1.    Extra Credit. What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41? Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all his disciples?

He intended the parables to all His disciples, all His followers inclusive, I think.

2.    Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful?

By prayerfully through the help of the Holy Spirit do everything God asks to do through His word and managers (Church leaders) put over us.

What is the process by which we can be restored in faithfulness if we have neglected it? How do we learn prudence and wisdom?

Repentance and the start to as directed. We learn prudence and wisdom through studying of the word of God and meditation and prayer to God, our source.

3.    In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to?

Faithfulness in serving God will always be rewarded.

4.    Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around.)

Egocentricity

5.    Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household? Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you?

God has entrusted me with much, with a family to bring up, with responsibility as an elder in the Church, assets and wealth to manage.

• 6 months later...

1.    Extra Credit. What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41? Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all his disciples?  That it is for those who are going to be disciples, and this means all of them.

2.    Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful? Obedience to the Voice of God and His word, daily application of the Word to our lives, prayer with the Father in heaven daily time with the Father in His word.

3.    In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to?  When we are faithful with little, He will give us more Heaven and how those who believe they are saved and are not will be judged and will be found lacking and will go to hell.

4.    Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around.) As I was thinking on this question, the problem lies in the fact that we start off humble and fall to the trap of pride and allow it to cause us to think we don't need each other. 

5.    Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household? Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you? Yes because He has entrusted me with a ministry that I am in charge of that started off small and it has grown exponentially over time. I am constantly adding new departments and creating new counseling curriculum as well. He is asking for more time and effort on my part so I can work on a book I have a contract for.

• 9 months later...

Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around.)

I think maybe sometimes church leaders who completely turn away from their Master have lost their faith.  Deep down, they just don't believe in Him anymore or that He is coming back.  

Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household? Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you?

God has entrusted me with much.  I was raised in a household where I was taken to church at an early age.  I had a good education where I was taught to read.  I have always had access to the Bible.  I have always had my physical needs met without strenuous physical labor.  I have had amazing Bible teachers.  I have the ability to share my faith without being physically attacked or thrown into prison.  I'm glad this question was asked.  It makes me realize I need to seek the Spirit more to find out how to maximize my potential as a productive servant.  I don't feel very productive these days, ever since my husband passed away.  I need to seek to find out what more He is asking of me.  

• 7 months later...
  1. Extra Credit. What is the answer to Peter's question in 12:41? All who are ‘Chosen’ and know Jesus has given them a giftvfar beyond  any others. Did Jesus intend these parables for the Twelve or for all his disciples? All because disciples are those chosen to be sent and have accepted at the first at least.
  2. Head servants must be both faithful and wise "managers" (12:42-43). How do we learn to be faithful? Repeated lessons and testing as the Holy Spirit guides us through the experiences that turn something we read and believe intelectually as possible. And change that to a sound knowing trust in God on that subject and action set. What is the process by which we can be restored in faithfulness's if we have neglected it? Repent, turn about, begin again the pathway of hear, practice, be tested. Repeat if not accurate, or move on to next lesson. How do we learn prudence and wisdom? By our failures and his gentle correction. We must do more than think about. We must act on received word.
  3. In the parable, the master rewards his head servant with responsibility over all his possessions (12:44). Faithful in little, much more is given. What is the spiritual analogy of this part of the parable? We have the doors to heavens abundance, the company of the holy spirit, and Jesus making intercession for us. How dare we not be about our assigned tasks. Which of Jesus' promises for the future does it refer to? While we with both greek and roman philosophy our culture think in future and past. Hebrew has no such construct. It is all either now or unknown. As life of a shepherd in a valley, what you have and what you can see, all else is unknown. Not in consideration. All is now to God.
  4. Why are church leaders tempted to become petty masters rather than servants to their fellow servants? The chief of all liars the devil who is busy trying to deceive.  What is the sad analogy to this parable's beating, and luxury, and drunkenness. (Rule: In your answer, no denomination bashing. Don't look at others' failings. [Churches that abuse the congergation for the personal gain if the few leaders.] Look at the potential that exists in you and in your own congregation. There's plenty of blame to go around. [Psalm 35:13-14 apply. We best be on our face crying for God by His spirit to return such ones to the path of righeousness.[)
  5. Do you believe God has entrusted you with "little" or "much"? Much. What can you be doing to maximize your potential as a productive servant in God's household?  Buckling down to my current assignment to pray for the gifts of god assigned me in a time of change. Church of 50 call it family type, getting ready to explode as more and more saved come in. More lost are saved. Expecting 150=300 next. Change is always troubling. God wants the prayer cover upon the pastorate. “Blow gently on the silver while removing the lead from the crucible”. Because you have been given much, what "more" do you think God is now asking of you? Finish this task, Finney had Nash and Clary. If I continue the war in the spirit relm to hold up God’s anointed above me, then I will have the vision I have been given to walk it out with prayer warriors to break ground for me.