JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 10 months later...

1. Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? What can we do about that? Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53) 
Divisions are often brought about in families as some choose to follow our Lord Jesus while others refuse to do so. This is because Jesus demands an answer. As we read earlier, Jesus said that “whoever is not with Me is against Me” (11:23a). There can be no neutrality, no middle ground, no sitting on the fence – if you are not for Christ, you are against Him. Our Lord demands total loyalty and commitment. In Romans 8:7 we read: “The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so”. The mind-set of the flesh rebels against God and is actively hostile to Him – it refuses to bow down to His will. We can only strive for harmonious family relationship by loving and honouring each member. At the same time, we have to remain true to our Lord and the gospel even if we face divisions. We may overlook certain doctrinal issues, but there are Christian doctrines that can never be ignored. For example, the deity of Christ (John 1:1, 14); the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ (2 Cor 5:21); the resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:17); and salvation by grace through faith alone (Eph 2:8-9). Jesus mentions it because He knows that His Word will bring about divisions, and He wants His disciples to be prepared for conflict, as well as for the growing opposition that they and we as believers will face. 

2. What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56) 
Jesus was teaching us to be sensitive to the spiritual signs in our midst. He was pointing out that we hear a weather forecast and plan our day accordingly. But, when we hear that the Son of God has come, bringing salvation to all who believe, and judgment to all who ignore the message, we do not respond by immediately embracing Him? Today we see the same ignorance about His second coming as there was about His first. There seems to be a spiritual blindness over the return of Christ and about His final judgment. Scripture refers to striking signs that will occur pointing to the second coming of the Son of Man. Even though several signs will precede His coming, it will still be unexpected and take people by surprise. An increase in false teachers, an increase in warfare, and increases in famines, plagues, and natural disasters are all mentioned. One needs only to look at what is happening in our world today, to realise that all the evil that is occurring cannot continue much longer. We need Jesus to come soon! We know that the time of His coming is imminent, it may now occur at any time, but only our heavenly Father knows the exact time, not even the angels nor the Son of Man know (Matt 24:36). When He comes, Jesus will judge all of us: believers for the rewards we will receive; unbelievers for punishment. We will have to give an account to God, so we must be ready. He will transform a world full of injustice into a place of peace. No more will the guilty go free; no more will the innocent suffer. 

3. What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59) 
Jesus is teaching us that in ordinary life if we are accused of something we must try to settle out of court. If we do this it can avoid us being dragged before a judge, being found guilty, and thrown in prison. We are called to examine our lives for any sin. We are obviously in the wrong and we know we are going to be found guilty. In the same way in our spiritual life, we should make every effort to become reconciled to God. Meaning that if we are wise, we will make peace with God while there is still time. Warning that once a person enters hell, they will never get out. We have to repent and put our trust in our Lord Jesus Christ for our salvation. Hoping that in His great mercy and grace, He will forgive us our sins. 

4. What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5) 
In this lesson, Jesus teaches us that tragic deaths are not a punishment for sin. Death and sickness do not always come about as a judgement from God. Just as suffering is no indicator of one’s spiritual state, neither is tragedy. We sometimes struggle with tragedies for it often seems like the good die young, while the criminals seem to thrive in their evil. We live in a fallen world where good behavior is not always rewarded and bad behavior not always punished. Instead of looking for who to blame whether a person is killed in a tragic accident or miraculously survives, we should consider our own day of judgment, for everyone has to die. We need to understand the need for repentance, before it’s too late. We all are sinners in God’s sight, each one of us needs to repent and turn to God. We need to put our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness. We must repent or we too will perish, that is spiritual death with eternal consequences. 

5. What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8) 
In this lesson Jesus teaches us that we must not only repent; we must also produce good fruit by living our lives for God’s glory. In this parable we see that the only function of the fig tree is to justify its existence. It takes up space and draws nourishment from the ground and the air. Now it needs to show that it’s worth having by producing a good and regular harvest. If not, then it must be cut down! As with the fig tree; if we are not living our lives in obedience to Him, God has every right and power to destroy us. But, Jesus also tells us about the gracious mercy of our heavenly Father. He is patient, not wanting any to perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). He purposely extends the time of grace so that we might have every opportunity to be saved. This is exactly what happened to me. I was only born again in my 40’s. I was going to church regularly from my early 20’s, but I had no personal relationship with my Lord Jesus. This is proof to me of my heavenly Father’s love, mercy, grace and extra patience! 

1.  Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families?

What can we do about that?

Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53)

God did not make robots . He made us each unique. On top of that He gave us an option of choice. 

To follow Him is a choice. In a family there are many individuals. Each one has to ultimately choose the path he/she will follow. The path may not necessarily be the same one. 

It is not easy to see someone you love, follow a path that you would not like them to follow as it ultimately brings pain and distress. So it can bring conflict and division. 

The best thing to do is to pray and give the situation to God. Allow Him to deal with it in the way He knows is best. 

I think Jesus mentions it because it is so easy to think that because we have Christ, Peace will reign triumphant. In the long run and finally it will. First and foremost sins must be dealt with. Later will come the judgement and finally a reign if PEACE in the New Heavens and New Earth, where righteousness dwells. 

2.  What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56)

The times are turbulent. There are wars and rumors of wars. The lifestyle is like Sodom and Gomorrah. There are false leaders claiming to be from God. Many are led astray by false prophets. Now the worldwide Pandemic also. 

If we read Matthew 24, much of what is spoken about is taking place. 

The Gospel can reach many (even in isolated places) who beforehand could not be reached. 

All the above point to the soon coming of the Son of Man. 

But in spite of everything the exact day and hour are not known by anyone, but the FATHER. 

3.  What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59)

To settle a dispute out of court instead of letting a judge decide and cast you into prison. 

Spiritually taken. You are guilty and subject to God's judgment. Plead for mercy now before it is too late. Turn to Jesus now while there is time, before judgment because then it'll be too late and judgment will be passed, where there will be no more mercy. 

4.  What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples?

What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5)

Tragedy is not a punishment for sins. All have sinned. Sin (nevermind what sin) separates from God. We need to repent. All of us. (not only the ones society looks down on or frowns upon). We need to be ready when we are called to leave this earth, be it after an illness, a tragedy, an accident, long life, whatever. 

5. What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples?

What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8)

We are not there to just take up space in God's vineyard. We are there for a purpose. To bear fruit. If this does not happen we will be dug out and thrown out. 

God is merciful. But there will be a time and His mercy will run out. After that (as with the tree) we will be cut down and thrown out. 

Christ as the vinedresser has pleaded for me. He has nurtured me. He has had mercy on me many a time. Has given special attention to me (teaching from His Word, help when downcast, opened my eyes and mind to understand when I was living wrong and much more) for which I am eternally thankful for. 

• 2 months later...

Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? What can we do about that? Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53)

A. It brings division because some will believe the truth and others won’t. We can reconcile them to the truth but that doesn’t work sometimes. Jesus mentions it because his word would be understood by some and not by others.

What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56)

A. We can see that the part in the bible that says that good will be called evil and evil will be called good. We can see that in today’s culture.

What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59)

A. It is teaching that we should repent while we still can.

What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5)

A. It teaches that we have all sinned.

What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8)

A. It teaches us to not give up on a person. If we will persist maybe that person will repent and turn to Jesus.

Q1.When some members of a family are following Jesus and others are not it can bring division and discord within the family. Those that are following Jesus long to see the other family members join them in recognising Jesus for who He is. We are all individuals with free choice, so each one has to come to the decision to follow Jesus. Talking and arguing will not work. Once we Christians have explained the gospel and spoken about God’s great love for us, we need to go to prayer and pray without ceasing for our families.Jesus speaks  about it in His word so that we will be prepared and are not surprised when it happens within our families. 
Q2.In Genesis 6v5 it says The Lord saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The situation on earth is very similar today and I think that God will not endure man’s wickedness and denial of His presence. We are also told in Matthew 24v6-8  about things that will happen in the end times and these things are happening now! We will not know for sure when the Lord will return but it is up to each one of us to be ready and waiting. We have no excuse.

Q3. If we are guilty of sin, and we all are, we need to come before the Lord and confess our sins and repent and make changes in our lives. There is no point in hoping that our sin will be overlooked or that it wasn’t too bad and there will be no consequences. We live in a time of grace but soon Judgement is coming.

Q4.We learn that  if we go through worse suffering than others it doesn’t mean we have committed worse sins than others. We have all sinned and will be punished unless we repent.

Q5.The fig tree is not healthy and isn’t producing any fruit, after three years the owner has had enough and wants his gardener to get rid of the tree. The gardener wants to give the tree a chance and asks the owner to spare the tree for another year. He makes a plan of how he is going to give this tree another chance to produce fruit for its owner and save the life of the tree.  This is a picture of Jesus mercy towards me , I don’t deserve His goodness and mercy but He gives me chance after chance to repent of my sin, instead of throwing me straight into hell. 

• 1 month later...

1.    Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? What can we do about that? Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53)

There are usually differences in the understanding, interpretation and response to the Gospel of peace by the family members. This is partly responsible to the division.

We should endeavor to work towards unity in the family through prayer and asking for the leadership of the Holy Spirit.

2.    What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56)

Almost all prophesized signs such as wars, earthquakes, escalation of evil etc are all happening. Thus we should be prepared for the coming of the Lord.

3.    What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59)

Reconcile before the case does to court.

4.    What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5)

People involved in any tragedy are not usually the most sinful. God allows certain things to happen for reasons best known to him.

5.    What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8

God’s grace is usually available for a second chance. We should not take his grace for granted but prayerfully work hard to produce fruit of righteousness to avoid being cut into the burning fire of judgment.

• 6 months later...

1.    Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? What can we do about that? Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53)

Because they either don't completely understand it or aren't saved.

2.    What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56)

Wars and rumors of wars earthquakes in diverse places. 

3.    What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59)

That Christ does want us to sacrifice our time with HIm.

4.    What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5)

That death is always going to be around until Christ's return. That He is the only way to eternal life.

5.    What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8

That we cannot bear fruit if we don't abide in Him no fruit will show up

• 9 months later...

Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? What can we do about that? Why does Jesus even mention it? (12:49-53)

When one is saved and the other is not, it brings distress to the one who is saved, worrying about the lost one's salvation, wondering why they won't come to Jesus.  The one who is not saved will likely feel judged (as I did before I gave my life to Christ).  This causes a rift in the relationship and prevents it from becoming as deep as a relationship between to believers who share the bond brotherhood in Christ.  Jesus knew this division would occur and warned us about it so we would be prepared for it and not let it interfere with our relationship with Him. Not even family can stand in the way of our relationship with Jesus. 

What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56)

I agree with the answers given above. I don't think there is anything more to add.

What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59)

To fall on Christ's mercy while it is available to us, while we are yet living. 

What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5)

Like the man who was born blind, Jesus emphasizes there is not a cause/effect relationship between sin and tragedy.  We live in a fallen world where bad things happen to "good" people.  Don't judge people for the tragedies that befall them.  However, this does not excuse us for engaging in sinful behavior that brings natural, negative consequences.  

What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8)

I'm so thankful that Jesus is patient with me and desired for me to come to Him for salvation and bear fruit.  He is not only patient with us but strives to help us bear fruit for His glory, just as the gardener worked to assist the fig tree with bearing fruit.  He doesn't expect us to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and bear fruit on our own.  We only need ask Him and He will help us. 

• 7 months later...
  1. Why does the Gospel of Peace often bring divisions in our families? Every one accepts their need for salvation at differnt times and for different driving reasons. Departing from worldly tradition of the family. What can we do about that? Serious intercessory prayer for them quickens the pace. Understanding God’s principle that he desires that the whole house be saved is an operative conditional promise. Why does Jesus even mention it? It is truly to be so. (12:49-53)
  2. What are the "signs" in our own day that point to the soon coming of the Son of Man and judgment? (12:54-56) The great numbers of nearly empty or closed churches is a start. The lack of professional performance and integrity in nearly every service or publicly funded entity. The sliding standards of education.
  3. What lessons does the Parable of the Guilty Defendant teach us disciples? (12:57-59) It is the truth to all. Even the best serving christian best be on their face repenting in tears forcour corporate failurecto hold the nations and the peoples for Christ. How long have we failed to pray for them? Especially the worst of them.
  4. What lessons does Jesus' commentary on tragic deaths teach us disciples? Bad things happen and you never are in contol of that time for ones self. What are we supposed to get out of this? (13:1-5) always be ready to meet your maker. Be serving him in deed not with lip service. Be a doer of the word you receive not a hearer only.
  5. What lessons does the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree teach us disciples? That this must be an ignorant land owner recently inheriting the place. Fig trees do not give good edible fruit until the fourth year. What does this parable mean to you personally? (13:6-8)  The disciples being primarily country folk knew that. To those who know of fig trees the worker preserved the future of the tree and its bounty by gaining the tree the needed fourth year. Are we willing to step into Abrahams shoes and plead with God to give us more time for our Sodom’s? Are our wicked towns not full of those who meet the “that not any be lost” Jesus paid the price for?