JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

60. Bent Back

• 10 months later...

1. Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? How old do you think she was? How do you think she felt? How did people in her community feel about her? 
I can only imagine this woman must have experienced severe pain, and in an effort to ease the pain she was bent double at the waist; unable to look up at all. Because of the AS her spine became progressively rigid or fused, making it very difficult to move her neck and/or back. She may have even found it tough and painful to breathe properly. Every day must have been a struggle for her. Since onset usually occurs in people aged 10 to 30 years, let’s take the average (20), and add the years she has suffered (18), this would make her about 38 years old. The poor woman, I can only imagine her as a social outcast, she was probably unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. The people of her time would have considered her a kind of freak to be made fun of. Also, they would associate her physical condition with her sin. 

2. What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? Why do you think Jesus laid His hands upon her? 
Jesus spoke the words that set her free from her disability. Jesus healed her by His words alone. This miracle is interesting in that first He declares her free of illness and then He lays His hands on her. Jesus treats her with respect and love, not being ashamed to touch her. He exerted His divine power and healed her immediately, completely, and permanently - immediately she straightened up and praised God (13:13) in full view of the entire congregation. This was done for all to see that it was the power of God working through our Lord Jesus that had healed the woman, and that she had been freed not only from her physical affliction but also from the grip of Satan (13:16). 

3. What was the synagogue president's position? How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on? Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling? 
The synagogue president/ruler took care of the arrangements for the worship services, including the speakers who would be called to read from the Law/the Prophets and conduct the prayers. He was also in charge of the maintenance of the building. He must have been spiritually blind, a professional religionist, who had no concern or compassion for the problems/hardships of the people. There was no love or mercy in his heart. This is a genuine spiritual blindness linked to the “hardness of heart”; it is also the work of Satan, who “has blinded the minds of the unbelievers” (2 Cor 4:4). Such blindness includes wilful rejection of God’s revelation in His creation and in Scripture, and an inability to see the truth of His Word. The ruler’s greatest concern was to conform to the technical points of the law. It is highly probable that he had asked Jesus to speak and is upset that our Lord has broken the oral tradition by healing on the Sabbath. He could also have felt that his authority was being overruled. Instead of rejoicing and giving God the glory, he became angry and rebuked the congregation - not Jesus directly (no courage?). We see a person so bound and blinded by tradition that he ended up opposing the Son of God! Definitely no healing on the Sabbath! 

4. Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did He use untying a donkey as His illustration? 
The total hypocrisy and foolishness of the thinking of the religious leaders was obvious. Jesus pointed out that a person is much more important than an animal, yet they saw nothing wrong in helping their animals on the sabbath. In Luke 14:5 Jesus asked: "If one of you has a child or an ox/donkey that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?" Here Jesus exposes their hypocrisy, reminding them that they would certainly pull the animal out on the Sabbath day. This was because the animal was worth money to them, but in the case of a suffering person they didn’t care. Jesus uses the donkey to highlight their hypocrisy even further. The donkey was seen as a beast of burden, and on the sabbath it was entirely proper to lead this animal away from its stall to water it … provided that the animal carry no burden on the sabbath!!! 

5. Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper? 
Satan has no rights to afflict us, believers, with disease. He often overrules any sickness or suffering for His own glory. In our passage this woman was most probably an Israelite and a believer. Yet, Satan had bound her and had caused her body to be broken by her illness. So, we note that even believers can be attacked by Satan, but we can never be demon possessed. Jesus did not cast out any demons here - she was not demon possessed; she was demon oppressed. Most of the time, our illnesses are just that which is part and parcel of the human experience. So, we should not blame every illness on the devil. As believers we can come under the attack, as Satan seeks ways to bind our lives and hinder our relationship with our Lord. This can be anything from sin, bitterness, temptation, hatred, unforgiveness, guilt, addiction, ****, envy, greed, religion, fear, worry, finances. The list could go on forever, anything and everything, even the good things of life will be used by the enemy to bind, hinder and devastate our lives, if we allow him. We know that “the whole world is under the control of the evil one” (1 John 5:19), and we must “be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). Yet Christians have a great hope, for Jesus Christ “has overcome the world" (John 16:33) and “our faith” in Him (1 John 5:4) have overcome Satan’s evil. “The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). 

6. How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"? Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart? 
Jesus called the lady a daughter of Abraham, meaning that she is Jewess and as such especially loved as a child of God. The Jews considered themselves as especially favoured people of God, therefore the synagogue ruler should have rejoiced that the lady was loosed from her infirmity. Instead, they were more worried about a donkey bound by a rope than Abraham’s daughter bound by Satan! After 18 years she has got her dignity back, Jesus called her daughter!, no longer deformed and a freak to be laughed at, no longer forced to shuffle about from place to place. He had touched her and made her whole again. She had been healed and was free from the bondage of Satan. Yes, often. Sometimes I’m so amazed as these words of assurance come unexpectedly, yet at the times when I most need them. Such a confidence boost - making me more and more aware of His loving care. I rejoice at His grace and concern – my heavenly Father cares! 

• 2 weeks later...

1.  Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination.

What did she look like?

How old do you think she was?

How do you think she felt?

How did people in her community feel about her?

I would think she would be in her late 30's or early 40's seeing she was bent over for so long already. I can imagine her to be a bit unkempt as it would not be easy to look after oneself in such a condition. Very likely moving around with a stick. The text says she could not lift her face, so I guess she would not easily have moved around in a crowd. I guess her life to have been a lonely one. I understand from the Bible at other times when someone was healed, the question came up ...  Who sinned? ...   So the community at large would shun her and wonder what great sin she had committed. (even in the OT we find Job's friends believing  him to have sinned grievously ). 

2.  What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing?

Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her?

He called her to Himself and said that she was released from her infirmity. Now she was set free from the spirit that was bending her double. But she was still in that bent over position until He laid His hands on her wherupon she was instantly made straight. 

Jesus showed kindness, understanding and love in His touching her. He saw her need. By doing this He showed that she was not untouchable. 

With pain in the lower back. Movement can be very restricted and a touch in a certain spot brings about that movement is easier and the back can be straightened better. I am sure Jesus knew that and that He gently touched her healed back which then moved into the normal straightened position. 

So by mentioning the above I feel that there were two reasons He touched her. What an awesome loving Saviour. 

3.  What was the synagogue president's position?

How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on?

Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling?

The ruler of the synagogue had allowed Jesus, as a Rabbi, to teach on the Sabbath day. Possibly because of public demand. From the outcome of what happened, he was quite obviously not 100% behind Jesus. He was very much like the Pharisees (hard-hearted to all that were different from them) who kept the law and also all the "trappings" (man-made rules) that go with it. This shows by his reaction to the healing. All these extra rules made him/them blind to reality. Unfeeling to God's love and care towards humanity. 

4.  Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did he use untying a donkey as his illustration?

This woman was bound and could not attend to her needs. 

A donkey was bound so that it would not wonder away. It was a beast of burden, thus a means to carry things. A useful animal but it needed care to keep it close by. On the Sabbath it also needed to drink and eat just like every other day. So it was untied so it could be led to drink. 

If an animal could be untied for its needs to be fulfilled how much more this woman who had been "tied up" (bound) for eighteen long yrs., for her needs to be fulfilled. 

5. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper?

He has no right. But then again he does things to try and bring glory to himself and discount to God. He is given authority certain times but ultimately God's name will be glorified (refer to Job). 

Sicknesses come because of the fallen world, just as death does. I guess one can say it is part of the curse. 

But  ...  Jeshua took upon Himself on the cross all our sicknesses and diseases. 

6.  How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"? Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart?

This woman was very likely despised by most who saw her, because of her affliction. She did not get much sympathy and love. She knew what it was like to be an outcast of society. 

She was acknowledged before the whole assembly (not as an outcast) as a daughter of Abraham, the Father of the Jewish race. Wow. How amazing. This was a great honor. She was shown to be a part of and not an outcast of. 

Yes, so many times. When I have felt lost and broken, unworthy. He has picked me up with a msg sent by someone or an unexpected phonecall or something so out the ordinary it could have been nothing or no one but GOD'S DOING. 

I have an amazing wonderful God. 

• 2 months later...

Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? How old do you think she was? How do you think she felt? How did people in her community feel about her?

A. She probably looked like the woman that I knew that was all bent over. She was probably pretty old and she probably felt useless. I’m sure that some people felt sorry for her and other probably teased her.

What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her?

A. She probably had a great feeling when she could stand upright and she was celebrating that occasion. Maybe Jesus laid his hands on her, in this case, to transmit his healing power to her like that woman that was bleeding when she touched his garment and the healing power was transferred to her.

What was the synagogue president's position? How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on? Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling?

A. The synagogue president’s position was that this healing should not have happened on the Sabbath. He was blind because he was saw that Jesus had more power than he did. His blindness was credible because he couldn’t see that Jesus was the messiah.

Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did he use untying a donkey as his illustration?

A. I think that Jesus used the untying a donkey as an illustration because this was a dumb animal and yet they were willing to untie it to save it life.

Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper?

A. The only rights that Satan has is those that God has given him, so he might have the right to afflict us with diseases. The grounds for this is the fall of the humans. The grounds for this is the example of Job.

How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"? Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart?

A. It probably make her feel like she was somebody important. God has always spoken to my heart because he assures me that I will be with him in paradise and that makes me feel very important.

Q1.This poor lady was bent over and unable to straighten her back. She would have been in a lot of pain, which probably made her look older than she actually was. If she had ankylosing spondylitis she would have developed that before she was 30 years old, so she was no older than 48 years. But chronic pain wears you down and has a way of making a person look old. She probably felt miserable because of the pain and troubled by the demonic presence in her body. She was probably poor and isolated without many supportive friends or family. 
Q2. As soon as Jesus said the words and Jesus reached out and put both hands on her. She was freed from the demonic presence in her and she straightened up immediately. Jesus power was greater than the power of Satan and it was expelled instantly. She was full of praise for what had happened to her.

Q3.Everyone was rejoicing for the crippled lady except the synagogue ruler, he sat there with a scowl on his face. All he was thinking was that Jesus had broken the Sabbath, he was so caught up in the legalism that he could not see what a wonderful thing Jesus had done. The most important thing to him was that the Sabbath rules, many of which were man made , were kept. He did not care about the suffering of the lady or the mercy and compassion of Jesus. Unfortunately his blindness is credible because throughout the Bible we see Jewish Leader without love or compassion for the people they are only interested in making sure all the extra laws made by man were adhered to.

Q4.To the Jewish leaders it was acceptable to untying a donkey on the Sabbath in order for it to get water, but they were angry because Jesus had ‘untied’ or set free this lady who had been bound by Satan and disease for eighteen years. This synagogue ruler lacked any understanding or compassion. 
Q5. Sickness is the result of the fall, in this way sickness is from Satan, but it is a general punishment for sin. I think when Satan sees a weakness in a person he attacks through the weakness. Sometimes Satan is allowed by God to inflict us but only as far as God allows. I don’t think God would give Satan the ‘right’ to afflict us with disease without God being ultimately in control of it. Unfortunately often disease is caused by our sin and excesses, which goes back to Satan!

Q6. Jesus is being compassionate and loving. He knows what this lady has been through for eighteen years and He is affirming her by calling her ‘Daughter of Abraham’. He is telling her she is someone special, an important person worthy of His attention and He loves her. Yes I have had reassuring words from God, sometimes reading His word, a verse can just speak so clearly of love and reassurance. 

• 1 month later...

1.    Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? How old do you think she was?

The woman was miserable looking and needed deliverance

How do you think she felt?

She might have felt discouraged and bitter about her condition

How did people in her community feel about her?

They community might have thought of her as a sinful person suffering because her sin

2.    What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? Jesus declaration of her being loosed from Satan’s hold prompted her healing process as she was immediately set free to stand up straight

Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her? His action of laying his hand on her completed the healing process.

3.    What was the synagogue president's position?

He was legalistic and concerned in keeping the Sabbath only instructed the people not to come for healing on the Sabbath day.

How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on? Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling? What was happening was deliverance and healing of the woman. He however missed seeing this. He was only interested in keeping the law of the Sabbath.

4.    Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did he use untying a donkey as his illustration?

Jesus wanted to teach that the deliverance and healing of the woman, a human, was vital and ought to be done even on the Sabbath.  

5.    Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper?

He has no right to afflict us the children of God. We can however allow sin to create a foothold that veate an access to afflict us with sickness and diseases.

6.    How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"?

God had chosen and called Abraham out as His chosen one and his descendants. The woman as a descendant of Abraham was thus dear to the heart of Jesus and needed to be delivered/ healed. Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart? From the scripture, yes. But I desire to have him speak to me directly even through a vision.

Edited by haar

• 6 months later...
1.    Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? How old do you think she was? How do you think she felt? How did people in her community feel about her? A woman who might have been in her late 40's or early 50's She likely could not stand up straight while walking because of what was wrong with her. Useless and even miserable just wanted it to end. That she was an invalid and didn't deserve to live at all.   

2.    What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her? It set her free from her affliction and she was able to stand up straight. So she could be truly free from it. 

3.    What was the synagogue president's position? How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on? Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling? Legalistic and judgmental. He was too focused on Sabbath keeping that he lost sight of the reason the Sabbath exists. 

4.    Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did he use untying a donkey as his illustration?  Because it dealt with binding and loosing spiritually. She was bound spiritually and needed to be loosed and since the sadducees could not see the reason behind it. 

5.    Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper? No only when we are in deep sin and refuse to repent. Only God has the authority to give him the option to do it. He is a usurper and he chooses to take over and we need to be on the alert. 

6.    How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"? Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart? It speaks to her ability to believe that Jesus would heal her and the fact that she chose to be there in the first place. Yes through His word or my prayer journal or even directly in my heart.

• 9 months later...

Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? How old do you think she was? How do you think she felt? How did people in her community feel about her?

I picture her as elderly because everyone I have ever seen with severe spinal curvature has been elderly.  I'm sure she was miserable not being able to stand up straight, having to be in such an awkward position all of the time, especially suffering this as a result of an attack from the devil.  It seems to me that people in her community supported her by allowing her into the synagogue and being so thrilled and excited when she was healed (except for the synagogue president), unlike other examples in the Bible where people were clearly outcasts from their community or bickering broke out as to whose sin caused the affliction. 

What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her?

If she was completely healed by His proclamation, maybe He laid hands on her to let her know she was loved and accepted by Him.

Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? Are there any just grounds for this? Or is he a complete usurper?

That is a good question.  I don't know that he really has "rights" but God does seem to allow him to afflict us.  Additionally, ever since the fall, he has been wreaking havoc on earth.  I think disease is one method he uses to attack us.  I think all bad things that happen come from one of two sources (or often a combination of the two)--attacks from Satan and his demons or our own sin that comes from our fleshly desires and giving in to temptation.  God often turns these bad things around and redeems them for His Glory.  He turns the bad to good, brings beauty out of ashes.  The world He originally created contained nothing bad or evil and it will be the same in the New Heaven and New Earth.  Satuan is a usurper because he is in rebellion against God and the world is not right because of his attacks and temptations and our sin.  We invited him in and now we are paying the price for it. 

• 7 months later...
  1. Describe the woman Jesus sees in the synagogue, using the text as well as your imagination. What did she look like? Bent over with her head perhaps tilted to the side and held up enough for a bit of forward vision. How old do you think she was? She is not specified as old or young. I would say mid thirties to mid fourties. How do you think she felt? Body, pain and muscle fatigue, back and neck painful from the exertion required. If she exceeded her ‘binding limit’ then a sudden whence of pain. How did people in her community feel about her? All who cared and knew of the prophecies of what the kingdom of God coming would do would be wishing “oh kingdom please come for this one so bound”. Ohers would fear such could come upon them. Some would avoid here in their helplessness to do anything for her.
  2. What effect did Jesus' proclamation in verse 12 have on the woman's healing? It was a proclamation of what was to be was done (assured) already and it was to manifest.  Why do you think Jesus laid his hands upon her? Impartation of the powerful anointing he carried. A foretaste of you shall lay hands upon the sick and they shall recover assignment for our walk.
  3. What was the synagogue president's position? From confusion from what was said and bewilderment at what took place before his eyes, he became indignant that such a thing took place in ‘His’ synagog by an outsider. How could he be so utterly blind to what was really going on? He seemed to have holiness (a worldly form) but not true fellowship with his ‘Hashem’ The Name of God Almighty they would not say for it was too holy for man to say…. Is his blindness credible, or is he just a foil in the storytelling? Unfortunately, in our days I have heard pastors nearly in tears over why some believe signs must follow, Just the word should be enough. Jesus told Thomas, ‘Go ahead put your hand into my wounds if you need to”. Our God is into simple straight forward question that grow our faith and trust in Him. Signs following are faith and belief aids to the great cloud of witnesses.
  4. Trace the logic of Jesus' justification of healing this woman on the Sabbath. Why did he use untying a donkey as his illustration? Will we even believe that loosing her from her infirmity was that simple and uncomplicated? How tempted I am that it should have had more ‘show’. Yet the Lord treated casting out a devil as just the touch of the finger of  God. How very wonderful…. Simple direct application of God’s love.
  5. Extra Credit. Does Satan have any "rights" to afflict us with disease? There are diseases, abuse of our body results, and there are spiritual afflictions. The curse causless shall not come. Spirits of infirmity and others. Generational curses. I truly believe satan has full reign in all the world area we don't reclaim from him. Are there any just grounds for this? James 3 speaking blessing and cursing. Receiving prayer and then saying you do not have it. The receiving what you say. Our words are the seeds we sow. Or is he a complete usurper? He will take anything that can be taken from us by deception, trickery, lies and theft. The thief in the night digging through the wall for one example.
  6. How is it significant that Jesus calls the lady "a daughter of Abraham"? Wow! As the covenent with Abraham was father of nations. And that Sarah would bear. Is this suddenly telling woman she too will bring forth children which has been impossible? Have you ever had God speak words of assurance to your heart? Yes, that I am in the right place. Who I am assigned to pray for. That all the prophecies to me unfulfilled are still yes and coming If I remain obedient and serve Him as I should.