JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

61. Mustard Seed

• 10 months later...

1. What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables? 
Without understanding both parables, no one could have thought that God’s kingdom, from a small beginning, would grow to such an enormous size. Like the tiny mustard seed that grows into a large tree, and the yeast that expands bread dough, so, God’s kingdom would expand outward until the whole world was changed. Spreading throughout the world; consisting of billions of people among many nations, and peoples of various ethnicities. 

2. Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables? 
I don’t think the handful of disciples had any idea of the magnitude the kingdom of God would eventually reach. Even after Jesus had told them these two parables. There were these handful of disciples and the increasing antagonism/hatred and rejection by the people and leaders of Israel. Of course, after the death of our Lord, before the resurrection, they must have thought that this was the end. Yet, within forty years of Christ's death the gospel had reached all the great centres of the Roman world, and even spreading to many out-of-the-way places. 

3. How has God expanded your vision of His Kingdom? In what areas do you need an expanded vision? 
We note that His kingdom is still expanding. This expansion has been calculated at 73 kilometre per second, or 160,000 mph! God is all-powerful, His power is infinite, and it is not limited to what He actually has done already. God is “able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20). God is called “the Lord Almighty” (2 Cor 6:18; Rev 1:8) - the beginning and the end of all existence, wisdom, and power. Furthermore, "With God nothing will be impossible" (Luke 1:37), and Jesus says, "all things are possible with God" (Matt 19:26). And for this reason alone, I believe in multiple universes. Why limit our heavenly Father to one universe. These different universes, “parallel universes” could be as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore. 

4. In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) How can you apply this parable to your discouragement? 
In all honesty there is no area in which I’m discouraged. What I have are regrets. Regrets that I only became a true believer in my mid 40’s. I regret all those wasted years that I could have been studying and living in obedience to His Word. I think of His precious friendship I presently enjoy, and the way He has blessed me with spiritual growth and an overall richer life. I think of His love and grace in my times of trial. What a wonderful Saviour I/we serve! 

1.  What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables?

In these parables we see abnormal growth.

The tiny mustard seed growing into a tree (according to Campbell Morgan, Parables and Metaphors of our Lord, this was a herb and as a shrub it was already outdoing itself.  According to him the parable marks abnormal development.)  The leaven too brings growth to the meal. 

It has indeed grown. 

But His listeners would have understood the meaning of leaven and also the meaning of the birds finding refuge in the branches. That this was a warning that from something small it would grow very big but that there would be worldly influence to watch out for. The "world" trying to find refuge in it. Looking back in retrospect that is what has happened. 

This is for this Age though. 

2.  Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables?

They probably understood much better than we do, because they were familiar with the similarities used. 

They needed to make choices. They had to choose would they be part of something that big and heed the very discreet warning Christ gave.  They were the start from which the growth would shoot out from. And it indeed did. Within a few decades the Gospel had spread far. The abnormal growth was reflected. 

3.  How has God expanded your vision of his Kingdom? In what areas do you need an expanded vision?

It is very interesting to see the differing views of the explanation of these parables. I do believe that it is a picture of what it has become in the world of this age. 

I see also that Christ's Kingdom is ultimately not of this world. 

I do see that we are to tell all or to share with, alternately to show in our lifestyles that the Kingdom of God has come. 

• 2 months later...

What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables?

A. We can understand that the kingdom started out small and grew into something that we could rely on.

Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables?

A. They were only seeing what was happening at their present time. They couldn’t see what all this was going to bring about. After the parable they were able to see that this was all going to expand.

How has God expanded your vision of his Kingdom? In what areas do you need an expanded vision?

A. He expanded my vision of his Kingdom by this parable and the explanation that was in this lesson. My vision needs to be expanded to know that God will protect my grandkids in this immoral world.

In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) How can you apply this parable to your discouragement?

A. The area in which I am discouraged is the way that the United States has been spiraling down. I know that God is charge, but I wish that we could get the country back in step with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. These parables show us clearly that small beginnings are not to be despised. The kingdom of God started off with Jesus teaching and then the disciples taking over and spreading the gospel further afield until large areas were converted. The disciples needed to understand this so that they didn’t become discouraged and feel like giving up.
Q2. They needed to understand that they would carry on the work of Jesus and spend their lives following His example of spreading the gospel. Initially they would be just the disciples and growth would be slow but given time the gospel will spread like the yeast in the bread and grow like the mustard tree and we see that that growth is still taking place all over the world.

Q3.I support a few Christian Organisations that work in Asia and Africa and through them I have learnt a lot about just how God’s Kingdom is advancing. However I feel progress is slow in the west. I think society is going more and more secular and just do not want to hear about anything to do with  the things of God. I need to expand my vision to believe that God will be merciful to my family and save them despite their rejection of Him. I know He is able and I know He is not willing that anyone should perish but everyone to come to repentance and eternal life. 
Q4. The area I am discouraged in is to do with how little I feel I have done for the Lord in my years as a Christian. As I grow older I feel I come in contact with less people and my sphere of influence is small and yet even those within my sphere are not following Jesus. I try to use every opportunity to speak about Him in a natural way. I have prayed for years and yet not one have taken the step of trusting Jesus. They know the gospel and my three children made commitments years ago but all walked away after a few years. My husband won’t take the step even though we talk about God very often, but he just doesn’t have faith. I can apply these parables by knowing that God will use every little thing I have done to influence others. I may never see it or know it started by something I said or prayed. Thank you Heavenly Father.

• 1 month later...

1.    What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables?

There is need to understand that God’s kingdom may start small but can grow big. This is what has happened. The kingdom that started by Jesus Christ was small but has grown to the uttermost part of the world and still growing.

2.    Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables?

It was to ensure that they would not be discouraged and give up because of its small beginning then.

3.    How has God expanded your vision of his Kingdom?

The present grown stage of God’s kingdom is not the end. It will continue to grow and each one of us should continue evangelize and expand the kingdom.

In what areas do you need an expanded vision?

In the area of what God can do to halt or slow down the current massive and continuous populating of the kingdom of Satan in hell through the deaths of non-Christians through calamities such as natural disasters, wars, arson by evil people and currently Covid-19 etc. I sometimes wonder why God will allow this to happen.

4.    In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) How can you apply this parable to your discouragement?

See my comment in the b-part of question 3.

• 6 months later...

1.    What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables? How it started off small and then eventually expanded to what it is now. 

2.    Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables?  Because they were going to be the ones who would cause the Gospel to spread through their witness and persecution. 

3.    How has God expanded your vision of his Kingdom? In what areas do you need an expanded vision? My ministry is constantly adding departments and buying property for our counseling services. When I first started I never thought it would get to where it is now. I mean it is so large I no longer can keep track of the people we either counsel or save. The amount is too numerous to even number let alone count. My writing.

4.    In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) How can you apply this parable to your discouragement? My writing because I am struggling to finish a book He blessed me with a contract for. I can consider the fact that the Lord wants to work through it to bring many to Him.

• 9 months later...

In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) How can you apply this parable to your discouragement?

Ever since my husband passed, I am feeling discouraged as I go through this season of grief.  It is hard for me to have a vision or hope for my future on earth at this present time.  I just feel sad.  I suppose that at some point, my joy will return and God will grant me a renewed sense of purpose and vision, but right now I just feel discouraged. 

• 7 months later...
  1. What about God's kingdom is impossible to comprehend without understanding these parables? That the small seemingly imperfect words we plant as seeds are beginnings of great things when given their growing process time and God’s blessing.
  2. Why did the disciples in particular need to understand these parables? They were to plant the very first seeds in many places.
  3. How has God expanded your vision of his Kingdom? God truly wants all to come to repentance and be saved. Not in theory only but in our expectation of a finished work to come.  We should intend to take part in the doing of it. In what areas do you need an expanded vision? I need to gain hold of taking back the spiritual territory above and in our area of responsibility. For this time I need to take hold of and in prayer for my church pastors and their work as Father Nash and  rother Clary did for Charles Finney.
  4. In what area are you discouraged? (Be honest now....) I am very down over our lack of success on so many healing types, especially cancer, and such as MS, MD, ALS. Birth defects like missing portions of brain development. How can you apply this parable to your discouragement? The Holy Spirit told me the solution was “you need more Jesus”.  Acts 4:31 after Peter and John had their go around with the council. The infilling of the Holy Spirit came to deliver the boldness. Not only an anointing like before. An indwelling of. Every time I respond by eliminating another thing in my ‘self life’ so the spirit has more room in me. More space within me. I gain ground, on my needed maturity as trust with more Jesus grade power to do difficult things comes with doing accurately God’s situational desire. Discouragement departs when I stop looking inward at myself and read the promises to me. Read them enough and you know you believe them.