JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

66. Lost Sheep

• 10 months later...

2.  Compare and contrast the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. What are the similarities? What are the differences?

With the sheep which is lost, there is no one to blame. (The sheep's own wondering away ...    They do things like that)  With the lost coin however it could be due to carelessness. (The coin has done nothing to get lost) 

Neither the sheep nor the coin is to be blamed. 

The shepherd is in agony because of the lost sheep and does his best to find it. (Roams the hillsides and calls to it).

In the same way the woman goes out of her way to find the coin. (Lights a lamp , sweeps up the dust, until she finds it.) 

Upon returning with the sheep, the shepherd calls his friends to rejoice with him, over the lost sheep which has been found. 

In the same way the woman also calls her friends and neighbors to rejoice with her for having found the coin which had been lost. 

Seeking

Finding

Celebrating/rejoicing

3.  What is the point of these two parables? How does it relate to the criticism Jesus had received?

The point of these parables is to show that those who were lost, were indeed important to God.

The Pharisees and scribes had criticized Jesus about spending time with tax collectors and sinners. Jesus used these parables to show God's heart was for the lost ones and Jesus had been sent to them (the sinners and tax collectors /the despised ones), the lost sheep of the "House of Israel". 

4.  What is the chief lesson here for disciples? What are we supposed to get out of these parables?

It is not the multitudes that we should only go after, but one on one. The one that eg., used to be in the meeting and no longer comes. Seek that person out. Bring him back. 

We are to have the same heart for the lost that Jesus has. The same passion that He has to save the lost. 

The "one" is just as important, as the many. There is great rejoicing over the one sinner returned. 

1. Why was Jesus' being criticized by the Pharisees and scribes? Was Jesus' mission to these outcasts active or passive? 
The Pharisees and scribes criticized Jesus for mixing with tax collectors and sinners (irreligious people) - the despised outcasts of Jewish society. Jesus rejoices in the salvation of sinners, and these people look to Him with interest and listen intently to what He has to say. In contrast we have the proud, disrespectful, self-righteous Pharisees and scribes withdrawing from the Lord. The religious leaders had hardened their hearts against Jesus and His message, but the “despicable” people were coming to listen. They say that this man welcomes and mixes with sinners and eats with them; meaning that Jesus and His company are polluting their holiness. We see Jesus actively involved with these outcasts by welcoming them and sharing a meal with them. He mixes with them, He eats with then, He loves them, He does not look down upon them, and He has come to offer them salvation. 

2. Compare and contrast the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. What are the similarities? What are the differences? 
Similarities – the pattern seen in the 2 parables: 
An item is lost.
A search is made.
The item is found.
Rejoicing follows.
This is the same pattern found in salvation:
Sinners are lost.
They are sought by Jesus Christ. 
“For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost" (19:10). 
They are found by God.
Rejoicing follows.
Differences:
Sheep, coin. 
1 in 100, 1 in 10. 
Pastures, home. 
Male shepherd, Woman at home. 
Money value, mostly personal value. 

3. What is the point of these two parables? How does it relate to the criticism Jesus had received? 
The point of these two parables is that God receives real joy and satisfaction when He sees sinners repenting. There is rejoicing in heaven over each and every single sinner that repents, who humbly confesses their lost condition, and is then brought into the Kingdom (15:10). Their conversion and salvation brings great joy to the heart of God (Isa 62:5). Each individual is precious to God and He grieves over every single one lost. So, there is no joy over the ninety-nine self-righteous hypocrites who are too proud to admit their sinfulness. The religious leaders could not take it or understand Jesus’ love and concern for these outcasts. They criticised Him for the fact that He went about diligently seeking them, mixing with then, and then rejoicing when they came to the Saviour. 

4. What is the chief lesson here for disciples? What are we supposed to get out of these parables? 
I think the chief lesson here is our Heavenly Father’s love for the lost, His actively seeking them, and His rejoicing when they are found. Jesus Himself says later (19:10) that He came to seek and to save what was lost. We are sinners by nature and if left to ourselves we are lost to holiness, lost to happiness, lost to heaven, and lost to God. Every person who does not know Jesus Christ is described as being lost in Scripture. They are just like lost sheep. When lost they are doomed – headed for destruction; helpless, easy prey - unable to protect themselves; unable to find their way home, and even unaware that they are lost. Even if they become aware of their condition, there is nothing they can do about it. Jesus said that no one can come to Him unless the Father draws them (John 6:44). Satan has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel (2 Cor 4:4). As in the Parable of the Lost Sheep, God not only seeks the lost but He also brings them back to the flock. Jesus paid the price to make salvation possible, the Holy Spirit searches for and convicts the sinner, and God forgives them and declares them righteous – the perfect picture of redemption. We are to follow Jesus’ example and care for the lost. Jesus left instructions with every believer who claims to follow Him, to go and make disciples of all nations (Matt 28:19), so it is important that we find ways to obey it. 

5. Identify the demographic groups in your community who, as a whole, are presently "lost" to Christian faith. Who in your community should be responsible to reach out to them? Who is their "neighbour"? What are you or your church doing to reach them? 
Jesus shows that He associates with all kinds and groups of people, irrespective of status, or race. For us the message is that God loves everyone equally, and we must make everyone, especially those we are uncomfortable around like the homeless and the destitute, feel loved and accepted. The gospel is for them in a very special way. He showed that those who could not help themselves could still be made welcome by God. It is the same today. Religious people tend to look down their noses at those who do not practise religion as they do. They welcome those who dress in smart clothes and who conform to the religious traditions of the day but they shun those who come into church wearing jeans, tee-shirts and trainers. However, Jesus looks beyond conventions and judges the condition of the heart. In my country, it is the youth who are the majority of the lost. With unemployment at close to 36%, crime at an all-time high one can perhaps not blame them. Perhaps they feel their position is hopeless. This alone is a reason for their urgent need of a Saviour!. I’m the one who should be reaching out to them. I’m their neighbour. Our church has always reached out to them even to supporting a whole church among the disadvantaged. 

6. What are you or your church doing to reach the lost peoples of the world? Are you active in your church's foreign missions program? Why or why not? 
Today (12 July 2021), of all days, that I get a question like this. Our previous President has been sentenced to 15 months for disobeying the Constitutional Court, and his supporters have demanded his immediate release, which is not forthcoming. They have promised if not released they will make this country ungovernable; which they seem to be trying to do by going on a looting spree. A looting spree, of such magnitude, like nothing ever seen before in our country, in which they are busy destroying whole shopping malls, warehouses, and anything/everything they can get their hands on. Roads are being blocked, fires started, there is general mayhem, and the police are nowhere to be seen. There is at the moment a real concern for our safety as thousands are on the rampage. We fear tonight, not knowing if they will start to loot private homes, and we have no protection. I know I’m not being a true Christian (love my enemy), for which I apologise, when I say the last thing on my mind is getting involved in any program, with them in mind. Perhaps God is trying to teach me something, to soften my heart towards them. I know He is sovereign and His timing is always perfect. 
A new day (15 July 2021), it seems like we might be returning to some form of normality. We continue to pray for His protection over our immediate family, our church family, our country and its people. On second thoughts I feel that now is the time to be shining lights for Jesus, and try and help each other in these difficult times. It is when we work together, caring for the problems of others as if they were our problems, that we demonstrate Christ's example of putting others first (Philippians 2:3-4). This attitude, with the Lord’s help, will help bring about unity in our country. 

• 2 months later...

Why was Jesus' being criticized by the Pharisees and scribes? Was Jesus' mission to these outcasts active or passive?

A. Jesus was being criticized by the Pharisees and scribes because he was mingling with the tax collectors and “sinners”. Jesus had an active mission to these outcasts.

Compare and contrast the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. What are the similarities? What are the differences?

A. The similarities between the lost sheep and the lost coins is that they find what is lost and rejoice. The difference is that one is an animal and the other is a coin.

What is the point of these two parables? How does it relate to the criticism Jesus had received?

A. The point of these two parables is that we should go out and find the lost. This relates to the criticism of Jesus because we was being accused of ministering to the low lives of his time.

What is the chief lesson here for disciples? What are we supposed to get out of these parables?

A. We are to go out and find those that are lost and tell them about Jesus. We won’t able to change them but as least they will know the word of God.

Identify the demographic groups in your community who, as a whole, are presently "lost" to Christian faith. Who in your community should be responsible to reach out to them? Who is their "neighbor"? What are you or your church doing to reach them?

A. The demographic groups in my community who look like they are “lost” to the Christian faith are the drunks. We are all responsible to reach out to them. We are all their neighbor.

What are you or your church doing to reach the lost peoples of the world? Are you active in your church's foreign missions program? Why or why not?

A. The church and I are reaching out to the lost by our missionaries that we send out into the field and support them.

• 1 month later...

Q1.Jesus was being criticised because He was not doing what the Pharisees thought He should do. Jesus was mixing with ordinary salt of the earth people, we are all sinners but the Pharisees believed they were above the sinners and tax collectors. Jesus was drawing people from all walks of life, He had that effect on people.The Pharisees considered non religious Jews to be unclean, and therefore to be avoided. Jesus responded by teaching them three parables, He was being interactive with them rather than passive. Jesus welcomes them wholeheartedly and even goes to share meals with them.

Q2.Both of the parables are much the same in that an item is lost, a sheep and a coin, both are searched for until they are found. There is great joy and then rejoicing when the news is spread to the other shepherds and to the lady’s friends and neighbours. This is also what happens in Heaven when a sinner responds to the Spirit and turns to Jesus there is great joy and rejoicing in Heaven.

Q3.Every person on earth is a sinner and needs the forgiveness of Jesus. None of us should be judgemental or prejudice towards anyone and feel that it is not our job to share Jesus with them. These parables show God as a searching  God seeking out all who are lost and rejoicing when they turn to Him and are found.

Q4.The lesson here for us is a challenge from God as to what each one of us are doing to bring people into a living relationship with Him. 
Q5.Many people around me don’t know Jesus or have an inaccurate idea about Him. My own family are among them. The Bible is irrelevant today they say. I use every opportunity to speak about God. I give “Thanks” before we eat . It sounds ridiculously small but they know the gospel. I also pray and have prayed for years but God is faithful! He will answer in His own time. My church holds outreach services but since Covid these have had to stop. In the past we have for many years done carol singing and give out Scripture calendars. This year we are giving out the calendars individually, I have had a good response from some unexpected places , hopefully it will lead to more opportunities! 
Q6. Our church is very active in supporting missions both here in Ireland and abroad. We support financially and by prayer. We also invited speakers to the church. That is pre COVID-19. 

• 1 month later...

1.    Why was Jesus' being criticized by the Pharisees and scribes?

Jesus was being criticized by the Pharisees for welcoming and interacting/ eating with those called outcast by the Pharisees (also called- sinners and tax collectors).

Was Jesus' mission to these outcasts active or passive? I think it was active.

2.    Compare and contrast the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. What are the similarities? What are the differences?

The main similarity in the two parables is that something was missing- the sheep or the coin and needed to be found.

The difference in my opinion is that in the case of the lost sheep, it strayed away from the flock by itself, while the case of the coin was a case of being misplaced by the owner.

3.    What is the ,point of these two parables? How does it relate to the criticism Jesus had received?

The point here is that the owner of the lost sheep or coin represent God as the owner. He wants to have those looked down by the Pharisees as sinners and tax collectors to share in the new kingdom by grace. And that is what Jesus was doing, accepting and welcoming them to him. But the Pharisees missed this point.

4.    What is the chief lesson here for disciples? What are we supposed to get out of these parables?

There are people out there that are not in the Lord’s fold. We should go after them and bring them back to the Lord Jesus.

5.    Identify the demographic groups in your community who, as a whole, are presently "lost" to Christian faith. Who in your community should be responsible to reach out to them? Who is their "neighbor"? What are you or your church doing to reach them?

The whole Muslim community around me consists of friends and school mates that are outside the fold of the Lord Jesus. The church is not doing much about them neither am I.

It is also sad that I have not reached out to my friends and mates by inviting them to come to the fold. Lord help us to minister to the lost sheep in the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

6.    What are you or your church doing to reach the lost peoples of the world? Are you active in your church's foreign missions program? Why or why not?

Pease see part of the answer in question 5 above part of answer.

• 6 months later...

1.    Why was Jesus' being criticized by the Pharisees and scribes?

The main reason is because they considered Jesus a hypocrite and judged Him as one based on what He did. Not even realizing that they were the hypocrites by their own actions. They chose to judge and criticize because they did not understand how He coulfd associate with them.

Was Jesus' mission to these outcasts active or passive? I think it was active.

2.    Compare and contrast the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. What are the similarities? What are the differences?

The main similarity is the fact they were lost and needed to be found. The difference is that the sheep strayed on its own and the coin was misplaced by the owner.

3.    What is the ,point of these two parables? How does it relate to the criticism Jesus had received?

The point of these parables are the fact that God is the owner of everything and that nothing belongs to us. We have it on loan from Him. Also the point is that He came to save the lost and as He also said that the sick are the ones who need a physician not the well. He is telling them through the parables that they were not in deed well but actually spiritually sick and dead to their sins. 

4.    What is the chief lesson here for disciples? What are we supposed to get out of these parables?

That as God's children we need to be willing to be like Christ and bring back the ones who have strayed to the fold by correcting them of their sin and let them know that they need to repent.

5.    Identify the demographic groups in your community who, as a whole, are presently "lost" to Christian faith. Who in your community should be responsible to reach out to them? Who is their "neighbor"? What are you or your church doing to reach them?

In my community it is people in my recovery group who say they believe but have chosen to reject the truth. People like me who know Christ. In my community in general it is people who believe they are saved but probably are not at all because of the religion they have been involved with. I am that neighbor. We are actually using music events to reach them but I don't believe it is working. 

6.    What are you or your church doing to reach the lost peoples of the world? Are you active in your church's foreign missions program? Why or why not?

I am actively involved in my own ministry for the lost and I converse with different beliefs weekly sometimes daily to challenge them to believe in Christ. No I can't pay to help out.