JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

68. Elder Son

• 11 months later...

1. Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable?

The father represents God the Father. 

The younger son represents the "sinners and tax collectors" (the outcasts) that Jesus was reaching out to. 

The older son represents the "scribes and Pharisees" (those who seem to be so at the right place and not doing anything wrong, etc.) 

2. What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2)

The scribes and Pharisees showed disdain towards them, i. e. the sinners and tax collectors. They did not hide the fact at all that they disapproved. They felt unclean to come into contact with them and because it was usually a crowd it was inevitable that they would sometimes contact them as the Pharisees too wanted to hear what Jesus taught. They also wanted to come close to Him and to do that the inevitable often happened in the jostling crowd. 

3. What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger?

The root is jealousy and self-pity which lead to anger, resentment and rebellion. 

I don't really think so. God has shown me so much mercy, kindness and love. Guess I have had to do too much with prodigals and been one myself. Also longing for some to return. 

I guess to get rid of anger you need to visibly show and activate love. 

I have wallowed in pity-parties but do not see that as having been against God. It was like being in a hole which i could not get out of. A pressure on top of me (like a ton of concrete) that was like making me not able to move, nevermind get up. I praise God for getting me out of that. It was a terrible experience. 

4. The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside?

Part of me hopes for restoration and that the elder brother recognized what he was saying.

That he sees how he was reacting to a father who had been heart-broken previously by a son's rejection and how he himself was driving him to more hear-ache, by not forgiving and embracing his younger brother. 

My hope would truly be repentance on his side and restoration. 

1. Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable? 
The younger brother is the repentant sinner in this part of the parable, and is represented by the tax collectors and sinners. The father is a picture of God the Father and is represented by Jesus Himself. The older brother is represented by the Pharisees and the teachers of the law – the self-righteous. They were angry and resentful that sinners were being welcomed into God's Kingdom. 

2. What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2) 
They despised the tax collectors and sinners, the very people Jesus was busy converting, seeing them as a lot of dirty social outcasts and moral lepers. Resenting God showing mercy to these outrageous sinners. They believed they had served Him faithfully, having never transgressed His commandments, yet they had never been properly rewarded for this. Sounding more and more like the older brother. Seeing themselves as spiritually clean, having no need of Jesus’ saving grace, not risking defilement by associating with these people. Always careful to stay "clean" according to Old Testament law, even going well beyond the law in their avoidance of these people and anything to do with them. Their pride blinded them to the fact that they were self-righteous religious hypocrites and just as guilty as the sinners they despised. 

3. What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger? 
The root of the elder brother’s anger was jealousy. His father was celebrating the return of his brother who had wasted all his money, but had never rewarded him for all his years of faithful service and obedience. His younger brother had spent years living a godless life and came crawling back from the gutter. He on the other hand had been slaving for his father, never ever disobeying one of his commands, yet in all these years he was never given a young goat, so that he could celebrate with his friends. Saying to his father that when “this son of yours”, who devoured your property with prostitutes, came home, you killed the fattened calf! In other words, the elder brother was saying that he was the one that was worthy of the celebration, and his father had been ungrateful for all his work. No, I have never experienced any anger towards God. I have sometimes doubted, and asked why He has allowed certain things to happen to me or my family. Like what is happening to us and our country at the moment. Our country is experiencing massive destruction; there is a looting spree on a massive scale, going on in the province where we live. We, that is my wife, youngest son and his wife, are busy going through the most frightful experience even fearing for our safety. I pray that we, as a nation, will come to our senses, and turn to our Lord. “If my people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land (2 Chronicles 7:14). Besides I fully trust our Lord, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding” (Prov 3:5).  

4. The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside? 
I feel that since the elder son is represented by the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, and they continued to oppose Jesus and separate themselves from His followers. In the same way, the elder son refused his father’s invitation to join the celebration, and remained outside. It is obvious by his words and actions, that he was not showing any love for his brother or his father, and there was a strong tendency that he would continue to oppose them and separate himself from his family. Like the Pharisees, failing to see their own need for a Saviour. As one commentator wrote: “A tragic ending to a story filled with such hope, mercy, joy, and forgiveness”. 

5. How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? What can you do to conform your heart to His? 
My level of compassion can never match that of my Heavenly Father. Jesus Christ exactly reflected the Father’s compassion in His dealings with us. As Christians we are to follow His example and show compassion in our dealings with others. We have already read about His teaching and healing, His casting out evil spirits, His feeding the hungry, His concern for the lost, amongst others. Specific examples that come to mind are found in the parables. The Good Samaritan who had compassion on a wounded traveller (10:33), and the Prodigal Son, our present study, whose father had compassion on him when he returned home (15:20). So, we are to love and care for others, even our enemies, showing them kindness, and being gracious and compassionate. This always results in the appropriate action based on these feelings we have for others. This calls for a higher degree of love: “As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:34). And is only possible when we are empowered with the Holy Spirit. 

6. How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing? 
Our self-righteousness can make us angry and resentful towards God for forgiving people who are worse sinners than we have ever been. We remind Him that we live a clean life in obedience to His commands and we serve Him faithfully, yet there are others who receive blessing upon blessing. What about us Lord? Pride and our self-righteousness gets in the way of rejoicing when others come to our Lord Jesus. God has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister (1 John 4:21). When they show true repentance, we must forgive those who sin, and we should seek to restore them in grace and humility (Gal 6:1–5; Eph 4:32). If we loved our neighbours as ourselves, and were more interested in truly celebrating their salvation, sharing in their joy rather than being jealous, there would be less bickering and strife among believers – what peace would result. 

5.  How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? What can you do to conform your heart to his?

In no ways can we match His compassion towards the lost. We can only rely on Him for help to be transformed according to His pattern and have compassion towards those we come in contact with. Only He can fill us with His love, with wisdom and understanding. Nothing I do in my own strength will suffice. 

6. How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?

We should rejoice. (I do not really think that I have not rejoiced over someone that has repented) I get very excited over the slightest change (for the better) seen in someone. Sometimes too early even. (I am extremely excitable) 

If we go according to this parable a feast is made and there is great rejoicing. 

• 1 month later...

Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable?

A. I am represented as the younger son. The Father is God and the older brother is the Pharisees.

What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2)

A. They thought that they should be treated different because they hadn’t obeyed the Father as long as they had.

What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger?

A. The root of the elder brother’s anger towards his father was that he had obeyed him all the time and wasn’t able to celebrate with his friends. I don’t think I have had this kind of anger against God but I have had that kind of ager against my brother. In time I was able to forgive him and him me.

The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside?

A. I think that the elder son stiffened and remained outside.

How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? What can you do to conform your heart to his?

A. My compassion lever toward the lost is that I don’t think that I can help him. What I can do is to talk to him and tell him about our savior.

How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?

A. I think that we should celebrate the repentance of sinners but I don’t know how we can to that.

• 1 month later...

Q1. The Father is representative of Our Heavenly Father. He is full of mercy, compassion, and patience. The son is the repentant sinner, turning back to his father and he represents all sinners and the tax collectors.The older son represents the Pharisees, who could not understand why Jesus bothered with ordinary sinners. Maybe the older brother can also represent us and our intolerant attitudes towards those who are different to us, instead of welcoming them into our lives/ church to care for them and show concern for their spiritual well being, instead of being bound up in our own desires. 
Q2.The scribes and Pharisees could not understand why Jesus wanted to have anything to do with these sinners. They had no interest in seeing them learn about the things of God. They missed the point totally about sinners being turned away from sin to follow a God filled life. They were too taken up with being righteous and pious in their own eyes but had hearts as hard as stone.

Q3.I think the elder sons anger was due to jealousy towards his younger brother because of what he had put the family through and now his Father welcomes him back with open arms. The elder brother has no compassion he just thinks about his own situation and how he has been faithful but has not had a reward and he feels bitter, and the poor Father gets the brunt of his anger! He is so full of his anger and self pity he can’t recognise that he now is causing suffering to his Father. I have never had reason to be angry with God, I believe whatever comes my way is for a reason and in time that reason will be clear. I walk in faith and trust. 
Q4. I sincerely hope the elder son realised the error of his ways and despite his own misgivings went in and joined the celebration, for his Fathers sake if for no other reason. I accept that he may not feel very gracious towards his brother but he should imitate his Fathers loving, forgiving and merciful attitude.

Q5.My heart is lukewarm by comparison to the Father. I am praying for more opportunities to speak to people about Jesus and that I see and use every opportunity I get. 
Q6. Any time I have seen someone repenting and following Jesus I have been excited and so thankful to God especially the Holy Spirit. I also keep praying that they will continue in their walk and produce fruit. I don’t know how else we should celebrate this wonderful time. 

• 1 month later...

Questions

Click on the link below to discuss on the forum one or more of the questions that follow -- your choice.
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1984-68-elder-son/

1.    Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable?

The younger brother represents sinners such as tax collectors etc that the heavenly Father seeks to save. The father represents God the Father who is always on the lookout for any of his lost child to return home. The elder brother represents the fault finders, judgmental, the critics such as the Pharisees. Love is not in their vocabulary except condemnation of others including the Lord God.

2.    What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2)

The scribes and Pharisees grumbled that Jesus was welcoming and receiving sinners and tax collectors whom they consider as the unclean and rejects of the society who should not be associated with.

3.    What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger?

The elder brother was angry and jealous that the younger brother who had squandered his own shared inheritance and deserved to be shunned and rejected was not only welcomed by his father, but was being treated as a celebrity.

I do get angry often but cannot recall any with the magnitude of the elder brother of the prodigal son. Lord God help me not to get angry with you or any one.

4.    The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside?

I think the elder son eventually piped down and joined the celebration but probably not very joyful nor happy.

5.    How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? What can you do to conform your heart to his?

Far less than that of my Lord; I cannot match God’s compassion at all. I  can however try to achieve this by prayer and seeking the Holy Spirit’s help. So help me Lord to be as compassionate as you are.

6.    How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?

We can do so through praise and worship to the Lord God at a small gathering accompanied with good music. This can attract others to join and hear the testimonies and also give their lives to Christ.

• 5 months later...

1.    Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable?

The father clearly represent God our Heavenly Father who sent His only Son to the cross for us to die for our sins. The younger brother is the ones who are sinners like tax collectors and outcasts and orphans and Gentiles that are in need of salvation. The older brother is the Scribes, Pharisees, Saduccees and Herodians who all believe that Jesus is not supposed to pardon our sins.

2.    What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2)

They are judging Jesus as a hypocrite and considering the people who were converted as rejects and outcasts who don't deserve salvation.

3.    What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger?

He felt that his brother didn't deserve pardon or forgiveness at all since he chose to spend his money on sinful living. Yes when I lost my friend Amber I felt He was letting me down. I chose to actually tell God how I felt and let Him know I was angry and wanted to know why He took her home early.

4.    The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside?

I believe the older son joined it but begrudgingly because he felt that his brother didn't deserve such a celebration.

5.    How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? What can you do to conform your heart to his?

It is getting closer because my walk with the Lord is much deeper than it was years ago because I constantly reach out to them and ask for them to come to Him. By choosing to surrender to Him and obeying Him.

6.    How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?

Through praise and worship of our Heavenly Father and rejoicing at the sight of one of them coming to Him.

• 9 months later...

What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God? How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger?

I think the real root of the anger is jealousy.  He was angry because he is jealous of the fact that his brother could go out and live such a sinful lifestyle which he felt should have angered his father and gained him greater favor.  Instead, his father is joyful that his lost son returned home.  The elder brother does not appear to be staying home out of love for his father but more of a sense of duty.  Therefore, his work feels more like drudgery to the point of calling it slavery.  He has built up much resentment over the years by comparing himself to his brother rather than cultivating his relationship with his father.  He ends up being disappointed because he thought he would come out on top in the comparison game and was shocked to realize his father loves his younger brother despite his sins.  

The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside?

I would like to think the elder brother turned from his pride and envy and joined in the celebration.  However, since he is representative of the scribes and the Pharisees and history bears out that the majority of them did not repent, it doesn't seem likely.  

How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?

That's a good question.  When you think about it, the day a person repents and turns to God is THE most important day of their life.  However, we hold big celebrations for other less important days--holidays, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries.  We should probably be having big celebrations on the day a person turns their life over to God. I guess it's difficult because it is an unplanned event.  We never know when our hearts will be pricked, so we can't plan ahead and say, on this day in the future, I will repent, let's have a big celebration.  However, we know heaven is rejoicing beyond anything that can happen hear on earth and those of us who are made aware of the repentance are celebrating and rejoicing with the new believer. 

• 6 months later...
  1. Who do the younger brother, father, and older brother represent in this parable? Younger son, the lost; The Father, God; the older brother, believers.
  2. What was the attitude of the scribes and Pharisees towards the kind of people who were being converted? (15:1-2) Disreguard at the minimum, open distain or worse if they appear with any requirement upon the religeous ones.
  3. What is at the root of the elder brother's anger towards his father? He has no understanding of his place in the family after the division of the inheritance. As first born he would have received a double portion and the younger a third of all. At division essentially theFather intebpnded to retire to an emeritous oosition. The elder never understood that. He has failed to move into his place of responsibility. Have you ever experienced that kind of anger toward God?  O, fail to understand position, yes. More bewilderment at a new level. How do you get rid of that kind of nasty hidden anger? Repent.
  4. The parable ends with the father urging the elder son to come into the celebration. As you read the characters, how do you think the story turned out? I believe this contains the greatest rebuke in the scriptures for believers, “Son, don’t you know that everything I have is yours!” We the already saved best understand we are expected to be about saving the lost, stollen, stray.  Not just caretakers of the comfortably religious.   Did the elder son soften and come inside, or did he stiffen and remain outside? The rebuke opened his eyes to his failure to step up to his new place as manager of all that was available to him and it’s proper use.
  5. How does your own compassion level match your Heavenly Father's compassion towards the lost? More and more as I more clearly see the lost marching toward a terrible end designed for rebellious  Lucifer and his angels not mankind. What can you do to conform your heart to His? Gain more effective use of the everything God makes available to seek and rescue the lost.
  6. How should we celebrate the repentance of sinners in ways that we are not already doing?    By devoting mentoring time with them, individual attention in their growth in grace and mercy, righteousness, and care of and for souls. They need guidance and reenforcement as they mature as a welcoming of a new family’s support around them.