JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

73. Dutiful Servants

• 1 year later...

1. In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores? 
To prepare the dinner was part of his duties as a servant and it was required that he obey his master. He could not expect his master to prepare dinner for him, even after a hard day’s work in the field. 

2. In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why? 
The slave should not expect any thanks for preparing the family dinner, because obedience is not something extra that is earned. He was only doing his duty and he does not expect any thanks or extra credit. The slave belongs to his master and his primary duty is to obey. 

3. What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favour towards them because of their strict observance of the law? 
The Pharisees were proud and self-righteous and saw no need for salvation. They strictly obeyed the Law and this made them think more highly of themselves, even believing that they would receive special treatment from God. Not realising that God hates pride, that they are sinners, that they are lost, and that they cannot save themselves by obeying the Law. False religions tell us that there is something we can do or be in order to win favour with God. This is the very heart of the difference between true Christianity and all other teachings. Their salvation would require them to give up their self-righteousness, confess that they are sinners by nature, that there is nothing good in them, and that they had to repent and put their faith in Jesus Christ. The true Christian will never trust in their own goodness, and will never boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

4. In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect Him to do our bidding, and become petulant when He doesn't grant our wishes? 
We take God for granted, conveniently forgetting that we are in a master-servant relationship, and that we are obliged to serve Him with no expectation of a return. We become easily irritated and annoyed, failing to realize that we are His creatures/servants/slaves and we don’t deserve anything; whatever we do receive is by His mercy and grace only. We behave like spoilt brats when we don’t get our way, when God doesn’t give us what we want, when He doesn’t perform to our liking, we have tantrums, and start throwing our toys out of the cot. When in prayer we should not be demanding what we want, but rather try to find out what He wants for us – what is best for us. It is when we ask for anything according to His will that we know He hears us. And when we know He hears us, we can be sure that we will get whatever we asked of Him (1 John 5:14-15). 

5. Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture? 
Clearly today it’s all about my human rights, my rights, what’s in it for me. As a citizen what do I get, as a Christian what do I get. Not about my duty, my obligation, or my responsibility as a good citizen, or my duty, my obligation, my responsibility as a good Christian. It’s all about me, so we conveniently forget our duties as a Christian. We forget that God loved us and saved us while we were still sinners. We forget to serve our Lord for the joy and privilege of being part of His family as well as future heirs in His Kingdom. We forget that we are in a master-servant relationship and that we are obliged to serve Him with no expectation of return. We forget that we do our duty not for reward or payment but rather for the privilege of serving Him. We forget we deserve nothing from God and are to serve Him without making any demands. So, our obedience is not something extra that we do for God, rather it is our duty as a Christian. Our attitude and response should be one of unworthy servants, only doing their duty, and obeying His commands without asking what is in it for us. We should remember Jesus said, “if you love Me, keep My commands” (John 14:14). Then we will see that God does reward our acts of duty and responsibility, but He does this not out of obligation, but out of love. 

1.  In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores?

The slave should prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores, as doing that was also one of his chores. 

2. In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why?

The fixing of the dinner was part of the "job". It was part of that slaves lifestyle. To keep the job and not be punished, obedience was expected. No thanks was expected for being obedient and doing one's duty. If one was faithful in the seeming unimportant duties, only then could one possibly be given other responsibilities. 

3. What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law?

The Pharisees felt that they deserved to be praised for the way they lived. This parable points out that it is our duty to live obedient lives. It is our duty to serve. Not the other way round i.e. to be served. It is not by works that we are saved but by grace and grace alone. The Pharisees seemed to think that their pious lifestyles was the right way to be saved. 

I am reminded of the song  ...   

Make me like You, Lord make me like You. You were a Servant, make me one too. Lord I am willing, do what You must do, to make me a servant, to make me like You. 

4. In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes?

Our prayers tend to be demanding "gimme" prayers. No longer humble requesting prayers. We put aside the fact that we are actually nothing. It is grace and grace alone that we can even bring our requests before God. So many times we get agitated because the answer to our request was not what we hoped for. We forget we are servants requesting from our Master, slaves requesting from our Savior, children asking from our Heavenly Father. 

5. Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture?

Duty seems so formidable. There seems to no longer be a choice. Now it almost becomes a command. Duty is something you cannot dodge, you have to fulfill it. You cannot pass the buck as it were. It is your responsibility to get it done. This all seems to go against your personal "rights". It is maybe not something you would like to do. So by having to do it you are violating your personal "rights."

• 1 month later...

In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores?

A. The slave was expected to prepare dinner for the master.

In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why?

A. That was because it was his job.

What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law?

A. He was telling them that what they have received was all that they were going to get. God didn’t owe them anything.

In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes?

A. We think that we own God and that He is supposed to do things that we tell him to do. Then we get mad if He doesn’t do what we have demanded.

Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture?

A. This makes it sound like we have to do the things that we may not want to do.

• 2 months later...

Q1. The slave should not expect to be served his dinner, it was part of his duties to prepare his masters dinner even though he had done a days work. He knew that he would be punished if he failed to carry out his duties.

Q2.Slaves we’re not thanked for doing their duty. However they could be punished if they failed to do their duties.

Q3.Jesus told this parable to say directly to the Pharisees that their adherence to the law did not in anyway entitle them to special treatment. God does not show favouritism. What they are doing is their duty , and they and we are still unworthy servants of God. We are sinners saved by God Grace. 
Q4.God is not our servant, we are His servants. When we pray we need to bear this in mind. We owe everything to God . This includes our salvation, but for Jesus we have no hope of being in heaven.  When we come to pray we must acknowledge this by being thankful and grateful. We must remember who God is and all He has done for us, and all He has given us. Our prayers should be full of adoration and praise. Also of contrition , only after this should we think of asking God for anything. We must avoid selfish prayers of want rather than things we really need. We are God’s servants not the other way around.

Q5.The word duty has become unacceptable in our society, people expect a more easy going , fluid approach where people can make their own decisions. However as Christians we must have a different attitude towards duty. God expects us to carry out our duty in such a way as to please Him. We work as though we are working for God rather than man. We do this because we love God and we are thankful for all that He has done in the past and all He does every day for us. We do not think of it as duty but as an honour to serve our Lord and Master our Saviour and Our King.

• 1 month later...

1.    In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores?

For me and as it relates to human relationship and my culture in my village, there is division of labour. One fact is clear, the women prepare meals. The slave and other male family field workers will not expect the master to prepare dinner for them. Neither are field workers expected to prepare meals for the master. The reason is, in my set up, the women prepare meals for everyone. They may from time to time prepare a special meal for the master. But generally, the meal prepared by the women is for everyone. Usually a meal is prepared and taken to the workers in the field while dinner is prepared by the women for everyone in the evening.

2.    In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why?

From my answer in question one, the set up I explain does have room for a slave preparing mean and thus the question does not apply here.

However, as regards God our heavenly father, whatever service we offer to God is a privilege. We do not expect Him to thank us.

3.    What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law?

God does not have to grant them any special favour. God chose them as a preferred race in the first place by grace. They are to appreciate and thank God for that.

4.    In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes?

We as human beings naturally expect God to fulfill His scriptural promises eg. Matthew 7.7 that says we should ask and we shall be given. Thus when we ask and the answer has not come, we start to worry and may even wonder why the answer has tarried!

May He help us not to see such as a right but as unmerited favour.

5.    Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture?

It makes everything looks like we are under slavery. But as for me, I don’t really mind the word.

• 8 months later...

1.    In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores?

In American history, a female slave was expected to prepare the meal for the master and his family regardless if they were thanked or not. The slave was never treated as an equal by the master but something that was owned. The slave were basically told to prepare the meals and were not generally thanked at all. It basically was a given that they do what they are told without it. 

2.    In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why?

However according to our history in America the slaves were basically servants who worked at the will of their masters. Because they are doing what they are told. However in the case of God our Father, He expects us to be grateful for what He has done and who He is not the other way around.

3.    What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law?

That they should be grateful that God chose the seed of Israel to be the chosen people of God. They should thank Him for that gift. And not expect special favors from God.

4.    In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes?

I would say one of the biggest ways is we demand we work on our behalf sometimes because we think He isn't working fast enough for us. So we charge ahead of HIm not thinking that maybe God wants us to wait. 

5.    Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture?

It makes people think that it is an obligation to do something for God when truthfully it is a privilege because of what He does for us.

• 5 months later...

In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores?

I don't think under any circumstance a slave would expect the master to come in and prepare dinner for him.  He would probably wonder what was up if that happened. That would be like my principal coming in and telling me to take the day off while she taught my class for me, it just doesn't happen and I wouldn't expect it too.  

In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why?

Thanks are in order when one does something unexpected or undeserved.  When I am just doing my expected jobs/duties, I don't expect someone to thank me for that and I don't usually get any thanks.  I don't get upset about it.  It would be odd to be constantly getting thanks for just doing everyday, expected work/chores for my job and family, although a thanks is appreciated, it's not expected. 

What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law?

The Pharisees were measuring themselves against other people, and thinking they followed the letter of the law more strictly than others, thereby earning God's favor.  They didn't understand that God was looking at their hearts and found them unclean and prideful.  They didn't understand that no matter how well you follow the law, you can't follow it well enough to earn God's grace, you need to trust Jesus for that. 

In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes?

I find a lot of people turn away from God when they don't get their prayers answered.  They blame God for bad things that happened in their lives.  They don't really understand the role that Satan and sin through death, play in bad things happening in their lives and that God is actually redeeming all of that through the hope of heaven through Jesus.  They just don't understand the awesomeness and power of God and our role in relationship to him--servants.  Until you get that right, it's impossible to have a true understanding of God. 

Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture?

I think people have turned away from duty because we've turned away from God as a culture.  Christianity is based on sacrifice and duty is based on sacrificing your desires in order to fulfill your duty.  In our culture, we have a pagan/hedonistic attitude of fulfilling our selfish desires and pleasures at all costs, which is the opposite of duty. 

• 5 months later...
  1. In Jesus' parable, should a slave expect his master to prepare dinner for him, or should the slave expect to prepare dinner for his master after doing his other chores? The only expectation a slave has is hope for a meal and a safe bed at the end of his or her day.
  2. In the parable, the slave should not expect thanks for fixing the family dinner. Why? Slave is there to perform as requested and expected only. If not so the slave would nolonger be present, housed, or kept.
  3. What does this parable say to the Pharisees, who expected God's special favor towards them because of their strict observance of the law? Nothing as they were seriously failing to perform their duties to the less fortunate. They were operating in curse territory.
  4. In what ways do we citizens of the twenty-first century take God for granted, expect him to do our bidding, and become petulant when he doesn't grant our wishes? Too many think God is a vending machine responding to a few prayer coins when we desire.
  5. Why is "duty" such a bad word in our culture? Rebellion in our hearts. Refusal to take up our duty. The long time military tradition is that the wishes of a superior officer are to be interpreted as an order. If you are a lax and poor performing soldier will the commander risk others lives to rescue you? Are you worth the loss, injury deaths of one or several useful soldiers commited to doing their duty? Our culture seems to expect others to carry our desire for a comfortable life though we refuse to be usefull to society.