JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

77. Unjust Judge

• 1 year later...

1. Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5)

The judge in this parable was full of himself. He was not a God-fearing man nor was he a man-pleaser. He showed respect for neither God nor man. He also did not care for the poor and the oppressed. The widow finding herself under the latter group surely seemed to have no hope that she would get protection and have justice done on her behalf. 

The reason he finally gave in to her persistent appeals, was to get rid of her as she was being a hassle and was proving to be a threat  and was harming his reputation by her behviour. 

2. Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3)

The widow had a very real adversary and it was worth her while to seek protection and defence from him and also to seek for justice to be done. 

She needed protection from him. He could have been physically or emotionally abusing her. 

She wanted justice to be meted out. Here too it could have been that she was not given her due and she was being driven out from what she and her husband had accrued in his lifetime or in the time they were married. It could be that she was wanting fairness and was fighting for the inheritance of her children. 

She is probably so persistent because if she loses she will be out on the streets and have no home. 

It was definitely in her interest to be persistent. 

Reading it again now, after some background information, one can almost detect fear in her desperation for help. 

What an encouragement to know that we can cling to God's promise that He will be Judge and Protector of the widows Ps 68:5; He makes secure the boundaries of the consecrated widows Proverbs 15:25; etc. In other words we are under God's protection. 

4. What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"?

Being in a situation that you cannot turn around or be of help in anyway, where it involves a loved one who is hurting and you cannot do anything to make it better or help the person. You can eventually end up in such a state that you find yourself being alone day after day and even in a crowd, you are still alone, that to me is the pits. You just see dark all around you. No way out. No help. Such a heaviness on you. If you are not careful you end up being depressed. (Then come suicidal thoughts) 

It is by reading the Word and prayer in spite of the seeming no answer and even if you fail by trying to be of help. Go on and don't give up. Give it all to Jesus. Again the Word says to "Cast our cares upon Jesus." Don't carry them. That is Jesus' work. 

5. How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet?

God's timing is not our timing. BUT God's timing is the best timing. God sees the big (whole) picture. God is patient. If we keep in mind, with Him a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is but a day. 

In Roman's 11:33 we read O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unfathomable (inscrutable, unsearchable) are His judgements - His decisions! And how untraceable (mysterious, undiscoverable) are His ways - His methods, His paths! 

Also remember God is a loving God and doesn't want any to perish but everyone to come to repentance. 

1. Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5) 
The judge does not fear God, and this tells me is a fool (Prov 1:7). By not fearing God he has no desire to walk in His ways, no desire to serve Him, no desire to keep His commandments, and definitely no desire to dispense justice. He even admits this about himself, saying that he neither fears God or cares about men (18:4). He is totally an unjust man who has no reverence for God and obviously has no regard for the rights of man or for what they think about him. True to character he demonstrates utter contempt for any sense of justice and shows no compassion to anyone, even a lowly widow. She was in his court every day pleading her case and she had become very troublesome to the judge. Having only concern for himself, acting out of selfish motives he finally grants the widow her request, but only to get rid of her persistent and continual nagging. Money could also have been a motivation factor in ignoring the poor widow. It would not be beyond him to accept bribes from her adversary. A truly a wicked man who had no right to be a judge, and one who abused his position of power. 

2. Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3) 
Throughout the Scriptures we notice that there’s a special place in the heart of God for widows, who seem to be the most vulnerable people in the world. In the society of that time, woman had little status before the law, and being a widow made matters worse. She must have been financially in dire straits, and therefore had no option but to be persistent in getting her case heard. She would have had no money to bribe the judge – which was the usual practice. She was also a ‘no-body’ and the unjust judge took no notice of her until she started to irritate him. I think she persisted because she knew that justice was on her side. 

3. What is the stated purpose why Jesus told this parable? (18:1) 
Jesus told this parable to teach the disciples, and us, they we should always pray and never lose heart or give up. Like the widow in the parable who persistently bothered the unjust judge, we are to persistently continue to pray, and if this uncaring, unjust judge ultimately answers; how much more will our loving and holy Heavenly Father answer our prayers. To be effective our prayers may require tenacity and faithfulness, and is based on absolute trust and faith in God. We know He will answer when, where, and how He chooses. But then God expects us to keep on asking, seeking, knocking, and praying until the answers come (Matt 7:7–8). 

4. What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"? 
God is not like the unjust judge, He is our loving Heavenly Father, who hears each one of our prayers, is concerned about our needs, generous with His blessings, and always ready to answer when we come to Him. He answers prayer for His glory and for our good. We are sometimes impatient, we want answers now, and if it is not forthcoming we lose hope, thinking God has deserted us. At the very start of the parable Jesus tells us that we should always pray and not give up (18:1). It’s all about persistent prayer in times of trouble, even when it seems as if our prayers go no higher than the ceiling. To get out of our depths of despair we must remember that God’s delays are not delays of inactivity but of preparation. God is always answering prayer working all things together for good to those who love Him, to those who are called according to His purpose (Rom 8:28). It might not seem like it, especially when we are suffering heartbreak, tragedy, disappointment, frustration, and bereavement. And we wonder what good can come out of it. As the elect, we should remember that whatever God allows to come into our lives is designed to conform us to the image of His Son (Rom 8:29). Our lives are not controlled by impersonal forces such as chance, luck, or fate, but by our wonderful, personal Lord. 

5. How can we believe in swift justice from God when He hasn't brought it yet? 
We can believe in swift justice from God, because firstly, we must remember that God is timeless; He is not controlled by time. After all, time is determined by the relation of the sun to the earth, and God is not limited by this relationship. In 2 Pet 3:8 we read, “With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.” So, it is possible for Him to expand a day into a millennium, or compress a millennium into a day – either spreading or concentrating His activities. Secondly, God has promised that there will be judgment for the ungodly, and if there seems to be a delay, it is not because He is unfaithful to His promise. No, it is because He is patient and does not want any to perish. Rather He wants that all should come to repentance (2 Pet 3:9). He therefore purposely extends the time of grace giving all the opportunity to be saved. However, Jesus will come suddenly and unexpectedly. “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare (2 Peter 3:10). Come Lord Jesus, Come! 

6. Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when He returns? Why or why not? 
Yes, most definitely, but it will be very scarce. Jesus will find faith on earth when He returns, not because we are so faithful, but because He, our Lord Jesus, is faithful to keep those whom the Father has given Him. We might be inclined to think that with the way the world is going, deteriorating daily faster and faster, that all faith will disintegrate into unbelief, because people have stopped praying and, in the midst of adversity, have given up hope. John 10:28-29 teaches us that believers can expect to suffer on earth, but nothing can harm our souls or take away our eternal life with God. No one is able to snatch a believer out of Christ's hand. Not only is the believer in the hand of Christ; he is in the Father's hand as well (John 10:29). The elect will believe and will be saved, but sadly the majority will be unbelievers and they will die in their sins under God’s wrath (John 3:36). His elect will persist in faith out of gratitude to our Lord Jesus who died for us. 

7. What is this parable saying to you personally? What disciple-lesson are you taking away from this? 
I find comfort in the fact that unlike the unjust judge, we have a righteous Heavenly Father, who having chosen us out of the world to be heirs of His Kingdom, will never neglect His children. My anchor is Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose”. This is not a pipe dream, but a glorious certainty. I know, definitely know, that God works in all things, everything, for my good – not just isolated incidents. This does not mean that all that happens to me is good, but all things that happen will help me to conform to the image of my Lord Jesus Christ. How do I know for certain? Because it is a declared purpose of God, and heaven and earth shall pass away, but not one syllable of His Word will fail. I have learnt that it’s ok for me to persevere in prayer, and that I can approach God with confidence to receive mercy and find grace in my time of need (Heb 4:16). I can continually and persistently pray, and if I pray according to His will I know He hears me, and if I know He hears me, He will give me a definite answer (1 John 15:4-5). 

• 1 month later...

Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5)

A. He was a man that did not respect anyone. He did not want to be bothered by people that did not have status in the town.

Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3)

A. The widow was a woman that was persistence in what she believed was justice and right. She had too much at stake and was probably poor and need an affinitive decision to survive.

What is the stated purpose why Jesus told this parable? (18:1)

A. Jesus stated purpose was to show that at all times we ought to pray and not loose heart.

What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"?

A. Some of the things that can cause us to lose hope is that the prayer isn’t answered the way that we think that it should have been. The only way out of these “pits” is to keep on praying. We know that God only wants the good things for us.

How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet?

A. Maybe God did bring swift justice and we just can’t see it because it wasn’t settled the way we though it should be.

Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when he returns? Why or why not?

A. He will probably find faith on earth when he returns because there is always somebody who believes in him.

What is this parable saying to you personally? What disciple-lesson are you taking away from this?

A. The parable is saying that I should pray at all times even if my prayers aren’t answered the way that I thought they should be.

• 3 months later...

Q1.The judge is so full of his own importance that he neither fears God, nor cares about men. He even thinks he is above God! He does eventually do something about the widows plight but it is purely for his own selfish reasons, in case the widow wears him out with her persistence in asking for justice to be done. He is not motivated in any way by concern or pity for the widow, he has no desire to see justice being done. Nor does he appear to have any concern that the widow may be being wronged by the perpetrator of the injustice to her, and yet he was the judge!

Q2.Widows in Jesus day had no social standing and no right in law. It was the same for women in general but even worse for widows. We are not told what this widow was fighting for but she obviously knew she was in the right and therefore it was worth fighting for. Maybe her life depended on her getting justice, she could have been fighting for her home, or her children, or money owed to her. Whatever it was she needed to have it and she knew she was entitled to it. Therefore she had to fight for it by being persistent in her asking and she needed to believe she would get it in the end.

Q3.Jesus used this story to teach His disciples that we must pray continually and persistently without giving way to discouragement and lack of faith. If we pray persistently it shows God that we have faith and trust His perfect timing. If the judge eventually answered the widow even though he was unjust, how much more will Our Father in Heaven answer us, His children whom He loves. His timing is not our timing but it is always perfect. 
Q4.Sometimes if we have been praying for a long time for something we can become weary and think negative thoughts. I am not worthy of this, God doesn’t want this to happen. Maybe deep in our minds we can feel this will never happen, I just cannot imagine it happening, all these thoughts are thoughts of disbelief and if we stop praying we compound that disbelief! Instead we must persist in prayer and know that nothing is impossible with God. Also that His timing is perfect , and really believe that and maybe God has things to teach us as we wait and pray.

Q5.We can believe everything God tells us in His word because He is not like man, He doesn’t tell lies! But we must trust God and believe Him and not become discouraged and stop praying. We must be like the widow in this passage, persistent until she got results, not waivering at any point. We may think God is slow in coming but He does not have time like us. God’s timing and ours are very different, God is being patient with us giving people opportunity to turn to Him before it is too late. He wants everyone to come to a place of repentance because when He returns the window of opportunity will be closed forever. As true disciples we must trust and pray without ceasing for as long as it takes. 
Q6.Unfortunately there will be many who have wilfully turned away from God and see no relevance in having anything to do with God. Then there are Christians who are like the Pharisees who spend their time doing “things” in the name of Christianity but they don’t seem to realise that carrying out rituals is not what God desires from us. Then there will be some who love the Lord and have tried to live their lives in submission to their Lord and Saviour.

Q7. I have been encouraged to keep on praying for my family to come to faith. I have been praying for over thirty years and do get discouraged. This has been a great lesson to me. I often think my prayers aren’t good enough, my attitude must be wrong etc. Now I will remember the points made by Dr Ralph in this passage. Thanks ? 

• 1 month later...

1.    Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5)

The Judge I believe, was selfish- interested in his convenience, comfort and has no respect nor regard for people (the widow) and God.

2.    Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3)

She was not the kind that easily gives up, was persistent in getting her rights given to her.

3.    What is the stated purpose why Jesus told this parable? (18:1)

Jesus told the story to teach his disciples then, and us now, the need to pray without giving up until the answer comes.

4.    What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"?

Most of us stop praying when we do not receive an answer immediately. Sometimes we give up when we see the enormity of the need and humanly conclude that it will be hard to get the need met.

5.    How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet?

We need to have faith in God’s ability to deliver the needed justice at the right time that will not be too late.

6.    Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when he returns? Why or why not?

Yes I do believe some will still be found trusting and having faith in him, but most would have given up.

7.    What is this parable saying to you personally? What disciple-lesson are you taking away from this?

To keep on trusting and having faith in God and keep praying until he meet my needs.

• 7 months later...

1.    Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5)

I believe that the judge is self-centered and egotistical and also only concerned with obeying the law but not respecting the law or the widow. The fact that the widow would not quit pestering him at all.

2.    Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3)

She was a woman who was Godly and wanted vengeance against her enemies. She didn't want to continue to be pestered by her enemies.

3.    What is the stated purpose why Jesus told this parable? (18:1)

That we are continue pray until something happens with our prayers. 

4.    What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"?

When our prayers are not answered the way we expected them to. Also because sometimes when He says no we feel let down. The one way I think of is da

5.    How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet?

By remembering that He is a just and faithful God. 

6.    Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when he returns? Why or why not?

Yes, however some of them may not be as close to God as they should be.

7.    What is this parable saying to you personally? What disciple-lesson are you taking away from this?

That I need to trust God and practice the spiritual principle of fasting and prayer. That God wants me to focus on Him.

• 6 months later...

What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? How can we get out of these "pits"?

It is difficult to keep praying when we don't see our prayers answered the way we think they should be, especially when we are praying for others' salvation.  Sometimes we pray for many years and don't see things changing.  It is hard not to lose hope.  Though I may continue to pray, I must confess my hope is not at the same level as when I initially started praying.  I think it is helpful to remember that God is sovereign and He understands things we don't.  Focusing on the word helps us remember how faithful He is and that He keeps His promises.  However, He does not force Himself upon us, if people choose to reject Him, that is their choice.  

How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet?

I thought Old Jerry gave a great answer to this question.

Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when he returns? Why or why not?

Jesus said when He established the church that the gates of Hades would not overcome it, so yes, I think He will find faith. 

• 5 months later...
  1. Describe the judge in this parable. What do we know about his motivations? (18:2, 4-5) For what ever reason he was not giving consideration to the widows just request. He became motivated by the persistence of the widow. Like a boxer constantly being hit with a jab to the face. The judge was not being over powered. He was being belittled by the widows persistant attack.
  2. Describe the widow. What makes her tick? Why do you think she is so persistent? (18:3) She was much like my 4 ft 10 1/2 inch mother. Buckle down, face the problem and just keep coming until you win. Persistance is always a weapon of choice. It takes less effort to jab than body punch. And once you have beaten the face until swelling about the eyes causes vision problems to the opponent. Victory is assured. They nolonger see the attack to defend themselves. A standard Greek Olympic boxing tactic.
  3. What is the stated purpose why Jesus told this parable? (18:1) Be persistant if your cause is just.
  4. What kinds of things can happen that cause us to lose hope, and lose any heart to pray consistent and believing prayers? Our own impatience or lack of true resolve. How can we get out of these "pits"? If we are attacking a wall or fortification, then persistance is adjacent to breakthrough. And victory follows. Keep on wth the attack. Do not turn away. Realize the wall of resistance is a sure sign you are near victory
  5. How can we believe in swift justice from God when he hasn't brought it yet? Because he is assembling the ‘great cloud of witnesses’. Trials are tests. We pass and grow in trust in God when we continue as directed until we win.  Not by looking for an alt route.
  6. Do YOU think Jesus will find faith on the earth when he returns? Of the faithful, yes. Why or why not? Because we have matured to understand we are in God’s game and not our own. We are to perform as directed, not run about gathering trophies for ourselves.
  7. What is this parable saying to you personally? Continue in assigned mission.  What disciple-lesson are you taking away from this? God sent me to a specific church to pray them through the change time as they grow from small family church to 150 plus or more. Two years in, quite concerned with apparent lack of progress the message arrived.. ‘I didn’t tell you it would be easy’. And understanding came. The greatest resistance and slowest rate of advance is the seige at the wall of your victory. Do not stop the attack. Constant pressure and persistence wins.