JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

90. Widow's Mite

• 1 year later...

1. In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47? How can a leader walk in humility? What are the keys you've discovered? 
Out of love for His disciples, who may be prone to being easily led astray, Jesus warns us about the sins of church leaders, and selects a representative few warnings. 
Jesus mentions six items of criticism, followed by a statement of condemnation: “They like to walk around in flowing robes” – signifying seeking high social status, and recognition as learned academics; “and love to be greeted in the market-places” – demanding respect and public recognition of their prominence; “and have the most important seats in the synagogues” – seats of importance in the church; “and the places of honour at banquets.” – such pride and attention are directly opposite of humility; “They devour widows' houses” – robbing defenceless widows of their life savings, and cheating the poor, abusing their position of responsibility; “and for a show make lengthy prayers.” - the reason was to draw attention to themselves, and nothing to do with praying to our Heavenly Father; “Such men will be punished most severely." – those church leaders who have wandered astray will be punished, since having studied the Scriptures, should know better that God requires humility, sincerity, and love. But because of their greed, pride, and hypocrisy they never show these qualities, even when pretending to be very righteous. Each one of us should be filled with humility, not drawing attention to ourselves but rather glorifying our Lord. As servants we don’t need priestly robes; we should rather take the more humble places at religious gatherings; money, power and authority should never be the marks of any Christian - especially one who is in a leadership position in the church. All this demand for attention is directly opposite to the humility demanded by God of those who would be great in the kingdom (9:48, 22:24-27). Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matt 5:3). 

2. How does Jesus compare the gifts of the rich verse the poor in 21:1-4? Who put in the most? 
The rich gave their gifts out of their wealth, meaning that what they gave actually cost them little or nothing. On top of this they made a great show of how generous they are – hypocrites. The widow, on the other hand, gives out of her poverty; sacrificing everything – all she had to live on. No fuss is made – no one even notices. Jesus says that the widow has put in the most, since the spirit of giving and what it costs the giver, determines the value of the gift. Our attitude is more important than the amount given, and even if we can only afford a small gift we should not be embarrassed (2 Cor 9:7). 

3. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of proportional giving? How large are your gifts to God in proportion to your income? How large are your gifts in proportion to how much you have left after the bills are paid? 
She gave 100% of what she had. This is the problem. Two verses earlier Jesus commented on the false religious leaders, “They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely" (20:47). This was spoken on Wednesday, and on Friday He would be crucified. I don’t think He would be concentrating on the gifts we give, but it’s more about His anger against the false religious system that is abusing the poor. The religious officials of the day, instead of helping the widows/the poor in need, were perfectly content to rob them of their livelihood and inheritance. The system was corrupt, and the darkness of the scribes’ greed makes the widow’s sacrifice even greater than what it was. This poor widow was desperate and had been brain-washed to give, either to buy her way into heaven or as seed faith – “give me your money and God will multiply it”. We will always find that the centre of false religion is the treasury - with them it’s always all about the money. When it comes to the size of my gifts to God, they are way too small in proportion to my income, and similarly way too small in proportion to the balance I have. I have no excuse, and feel rather guilty about it. It’s not that I don’t trust God always to provide, but I have to provide for both my wife and family, in a highly corrupt country (sounds like a lame excuse). I must mention that no amount or percentage is ever required in the New Testament. Rather, each believer is to give from his heart. 

4. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving? What did that mean for her? What would sacrificial giving mean for you? 
She gave everything she had out of her heart felt love for the Lord. She had nothing left and would probably be left desperate, not knowing where her next meal was coming from. And this to a corrupt religious system. But our Lord knows her heart and I’m sure He would have looked after her and provided for her needs. Sacrificial giving must be responsible (2 Cor 8:12). I don’t think our Heavenly Father would want us to give sacrificially that it could endanger our financial situation. 
Our giving must not hurt the family or relatives that need our financial support. I think we are to give faithfully, cheerfully and to a certain degree sacrificially. I feel that when we give generously and with a willing heart, God assures us He will watch over us and provide for us (Prov 22:9; 2 Cor 9:8, 11). Also, “He who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully” (2 Cor. 9:6). The benefits of our willing, cheerful giving to the Lord will produce both spiritual and material blessing. 

5. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving? Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving? Why or why not? 
I’m sure the poor widow gave out of love, trusting God to provide for her. But Jesus does not say anything about her attitude. She could be acting out of devotion, or out of love, or out of guilt, or even out of fear, we just don’t know. Perhaps the lesson here is not about giving. This could be about the condemnation of wicked spiritual leaders and a corrupt religious system. Each person should give in proportion to what God has given them (2 Cor 9:10). The faith I have in my giving - I don’t give, expecting any returns or blessings from God. It’s more out of gratitude for all the blessings both me and my family have already received. I give to my church that we are able to spread the gospel in my community, that by doing this we may advance the kingdom of Christ. 

6. What are the characteristics of well-to-do people who try to control churches by their giving? 
I know it can be very tempting for the wealthy to want to control the church and manipulate the pastor. Having a similar attitude as the Pharisees that we read about earlier. But I must say that we were very fortunate to have had two church members in our small church, about 200 members, who bent backwards in providing for the church and in helping with the finances. Giving way above what was expected from them. These good deeds were done with no thought of reward, or with any selfish motive – done only to bring glory to God. They made their possessions available for God’s service in a way He directed. This they did in recognition that all their possessions came from Him and are His. Truly a blessing for our church. One of these men was one of my best friends, who last year went on to be with our Lord.  

• 3 weeks later...

1.  In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47?

How can a leader walk in humility?

What are the keys you've discovered?

It is not with pointing at the persons with jealousy, or something similar in my heart that mention is made of what I see to so often be true.

Just as in Jesus' day, so often the leaders are seen to be dressed in designer clothes or clothes that stand out to be recognized by all and sundry as being the best. Not only clothes but everything about them is a show to be seen/recognized by all. The teachers of the law were seen as walking around in long flowing robes. 

Titles are another thing that many want to be known by. To be known as being learned and having been to the best schools, colleges or universities. That seems to make a good impression. 

Sitting in important seats at meetings. Like that they are seen and recognized by all, as being very important. 

They often want to be in the spotlight. Or on the platform where they cannot but be noticed. Of course not all are like that. They recognize that with their calling comes these kind of things. This being in the spotlight and would like to squirm their way out of it. 

Often widows are abused by these people in high positions. Because of their need (financial, emotinal, social) they are prone to "attach" themselves to someone who they believe will help them in their need. Unfortunately for the widow it is often not a very good choice that is made. Often leaders have a tendancy to take much more than is necessary. Out of guilt and gratiitude the widow gives in. 

Another thing that is prone to be seen is that long prayers are offered. 

To walk in humility and not give in to these flaws the leaders are to rather do as Jesus did. Do all for Him not so others can take note. 

Key to not be like that is, look to Jesus for support and not a leader. Try from one's side not to put a leader on a pedestal but to leave Jesus in the most important position. Look to Him for guidance. 

2. How does Jesus compare the gifts of the rich verse the poor in 21:1-4?

Who put in the most?

It is compared in proportion of what they have. (In proportion of their means) The rich gave out of their surplus whereas the widow gave from what she actually needed. 

In this instance Jesus pointed out that she gave the most. 

3. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of proportional giving?

How large are your gifts to God in proportion to your income?

How large are your gifts in proportion to how much you have left after the bills are paid?

She gave from what she had to live on. In spite of it not being much, she still gave. 

Thought provoking questions and makes me look afresh to truly trusting God with all that i have. 

It is real the Lord does bless. Many times He has shown it to be so. As with the widows mite. To give even from the little I had. He blessed. I thank Him for it. 

4.  How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving?

What did that mean for her?

What would sacrificial giving mean for you?

The widow gave more than she humanly speaking could afford. She probably would have to skimp on her meals or do without something by having given as she did. 

Doing without something which one would normally have, to enjoy. 

It is best to know that God sees what is given/done in secret. 

5.  How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving?

Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving?

Why or why not?

She gave all that she had and possibly did not know where her next meal would come from. 

I guess at times it is like that. I have experienced where I gave the last monies i had and within a short period God gave more than a hundred-fold. 

I serve a faithful living God

6.  What are the characteristics of well-to-do people who try to control churches by their giving?

I can only imagine that if the giving is done to get favour from the pastors that they are then always with or are even part of the leadership. They then have a say in everything that is done. Almost as if they have the reins in their hands. 

I think the best way of giving is to then trust that whatever was given will be used properly. If you do not trust that the gift will be used "properly", it is then harder to give. 

As with the beggars ...  the thought comes   ...   "Am i giving to help them properly or does it just make a situation worse". Give and ask and trust God to bless the gift. 

In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47? How can a leader walk in humility? What are the keys you've discovered?

A. I can see that the sins of the “teachers of the law” can be done by some of the leaders when they insist on long prayers and wanting to be addressed as a leader. They can walk in humility by being just as friendly with the poor as they are with the rich.

How does Jesus compare the gifts of the rich verse the poor in 21:1-4? Who put in the most?

A. The rich are giving out of their abundance and the poor are giving out of their love for the Lord. The poor are giving the most.

How does the widow demonstrate the principle of proportional giving? How large are your gifts to God in proportion to your income? How large are your gifts in proportion to how much you have left after the bills are paid?

A. The widow didn’t demonstrate the principle of proportional given, she gave it all.

How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving? What did that mean for her? What would sacrificial giving mean for you?

A. The widow gave all that she had which demonstrated the principle of sacrificial giving.

How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving? Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving? Why or why not?

A. She gave it all which is faith-filled giving. That isn’t the same faith that I exhibit in my giving. I give out of my abundance.

What are the characteristics of well-to-do people who try to control churches by their giving?

A. The characteristics of a well-to-do person who tries to control churches by their giving is one of pride. He isn’t there to praise God, he is there to be praised.

• 5 months later...

Q1. The Church leaders and laity of today maybe susceptible to sins of pride, self importance and superiority if they are not walking closely to God. If our minds are not occupied with the things of God and are taken up with our position in church or in the community we can fall prey to spending time thinking about how wonderful we are and how important we are and how hard we work for the community. We then feel we deserve to be honoured, and praised , instead of the glory going to God. We are told in Micah 6v8 that the Lord requires us’To act justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God”. If we faithfully do this we will not feel full of our own importance.

Q2.The rich gave their gifts with a lot of show and fuss. The old widow slipped in quietly and slipped her two small coins into the box. No show or drama attached, just a quiet joy and satisfaction in knowing she had given all she possessed. Jesus told His disciples that this poor lady had given more to God that all the other contributors combined, because she had given everything she possessed, she had nothing left to live on, not even to provide a meal, she was trusting her God to provide for her. The rich gave out of their abundance, and were in no danger of going hungry. 
Q3.The widow didn’t give 10% but gave 100% of all she had. This is a great example to us all. I try to be as generous as I can be. My husband is not a Christian and just cannot grasp why we should share our money with anyone! So I walk a tightrope between discretion and dishonesty!  It doesn’t make it any easier that we don’t have a lot to spare after bills are paid. I do what I can in different ways to give to the Lord. 
Q4.The widow demonstrated sacrificial giving by giving everything she had to God, despite not having anything to live on. For me it would mean upsetting my husband and I try not to do that. I honour him as head of our household even though we don’t always agree on things. If I have money of my own I use some for the Lord. 
Q5.The widow gave everything and trusted God to provide for her until she received more money. I would always want to keep a little back to buy groceries etc. 

Q6. These people who try to control the church because they give a large amount of money are corrupt. Their sins are many! The are using money to get control over the church/ Pastor. They are offensive to God using their wealth in this way, this wealth that has come from the hand of God. They are a bad example to others in the church. They are undermining the authority of the Pastor who has been placed in the church by the congregation but by God also. They threaten the stability of the church. They are playing into satans hands. They are full of pride , shown by them feeling they have the right to control and manipulate the Pastor/ Church. They need to be disciplined or asked to leave the church. 

• 1 month later...

1.    In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47? How can a leader walk in humility? What are the keys you've discovered?

Church leaders are susceptible to sin of the ‘teachers of the law’ if they give  amount that is far below their huge reserves of riches.

A leader can walk in humility by not showing off his costly dress or publicly displaying his offerings.

2.    How does Jesus compare the gifts of the rich verse the poor in 21:1-4? Who put in the most?

Please see text below:

"I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:3-4)

3.    How does the widow demonstrate the principle of proportional giving? How large are your gifts to God in proportion to your income? How large are your gifts in proportion to how much you have left after the bills are paid?

She gave more than proportionate to her income. She gave all she had!!

I usually pay all my tithes (10%) and round the amount up so that I will not under pay.

I try to give as much as offering but I need do better in this area. So help me Lord.

4.    How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving? What did that mean for her? What would sacrificial giving mean for you?

The widow gave sacrificially when she surrendered all she had as offering to God. This was an act of faith because God did not command her to give all he had.

Sacrificial giving to me going forward should be to give to God and the needy even it pains me to do so as long as it is willingly done.

5.    How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving? Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving? Why or why not?

Please see a- part of my answer to question 4

6.    What are the characteristics of well-to-do people who try to control churches by their giving?

They try to dictate to Church leadership on how to run the church.

• 3 months later...

Wow, talk about adding to the word of God, twisting and perverting the whole context of Luke! The whole point of this description of the false and wicked temple system is to show how the foolish widow is being deceived and robbed. Nowhere does Jesus praise the widows foolish actions. You falsely claim that Jesus heart swelled with pride?.... That is ridiculous! The disciples even comment on the lavishness of the temple and Jesus rightly says this temple will be destroyed because it is devouring widows homes! Honestly, if you cannot rightly divide the word of God, then you are as spiritually blind as the widow...

Jesus physically whipped and turned over the tables of the merchants in the temple... He hates God being used for making money. The tithe was NEVER money. It was food. The tithe is NOT for the church age. It was for the people living under the law of Moses. If people would study the Bible themselves instead of attending the megachurch entertainment venues where they are fed a constant diet of a watered down gospel and awful jokes by prosperity fleecing false teachers they would discover that NOWHERE in the New Testament is mentioned that we should be giving financially to the "church", to the poor, yes! I even had one pastor tell me that some give 80% of their income!!! This is beyond even false teaching, this is sheer criminal activity and will not go unpunished by God. Clearly, Jesus was WARNING the disciples starting at Luke ch:20 vs:45 where he LITERALLY TELLS THEM THAT THIS FALSE TEMPLE SYSTEM IS DEVOURING WIDOWS HOUSES! It could not be any more obvious that Jesus was NOT praising in any way, or using the foolish widow as an example for us to follow at all, in fact it is the opposite. The fact is, the poor widow has been, and still is today being used to shame and guilt ignorant Christian people into handing over money to the so called church. One simply has to look at the CONTEXT of these nine verses finishing at ch:21 vs:6 Jesus made a simple statement of fact that she gave more than the rich... NOTHING MORE. For anyone, let alone a pastor to falsely claim that Jesus heart was swelling up with pride towards the widows giving is not only ridiculous but is bordering on blasphemy and you should remove it or yourself from any kind of a pastoral role. 

• 1 year later...

In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47? How can a leader walk in humility? What are the keys you've discovered? I think the ways people are susceptible to these sins has been discussed already without me adding anything more.  I think Katy made a valuable point in saying we need to walk closely with God.  Also, I think staying in the Word and taking it at face value so that we remember our place as servants and the Lord's place as the Exalted One. 

How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving? What did that mean for her? What would sacrificial giving mean for you?

I find it interesting that Joseph Hallam popped into this Bible study just for this topic only and went on a rant.  I never have seen him participate with any of the other topics.  I would agree 100% with Pastor Ralph that Jesus is praising the widow for her sacrificial giving, not just condemning the leaders for their corruption.  That would be supported by the fact that Jesus, Himself, told the rich young ruler to sell all he had and follow Him.  It sounds like there is a false teaching being used to support the idea that Christians don't need to give sacrificially or give at all because this is just something the church is using to manipulate them.  This is in direct conflict to the verses we are studying just now, including 1 Cor 16:2 stating we should give a portion in accordance with our income on the first day of the week.  Not only that but it is a great temptation easily fallen into to keep our money for ourselves, which then turns it into an idol, as well as keeping the church from being able to help the needy.  Imagine all the good that could be done if Christians tithed and leaders used the money faithfully...many would be helped and saved. 

I believe it is easier to give sacrificially when you have less.  When I had less and I gave, it often put us on the brink of not having enough for ourselves.  Now that I have some money saved up, I can pull from my savings.  

How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving? Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving? Why or why not?

I have never given everything I had.  I truly admire the widow's faith. 

• 1 month later...
  1. In what way are church leaders, both clergy and laity, susceptible to the sins of the "teachers of the law" that Jesus criticizes in 20:45-47? Ostentatious show rather than caring shepherd. How can a leader walk in humility? Delivering what God wants delivered to the flock and the individuals is what we are to be about. We have no other purpose. What are the keys you've discovered? Strive to walk the Christ walk not the self walk. Doing as the Lord, only that which the Father was about, and saying only what the Father was saying.
  2. How does Jesus compare the gifts of the rich verse the poor in 21:1-4? The rich were seen condiscending to give. The widow understood God’s principle. Everything is the seed planting principle. Give and it multiplies as a crop back to you.  Who put in the most? The obedient widow.
  3. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of proportional giving? Every giving is planting seed either in good ground, where needed or required as a tithe.  How large are your gifts to God in proportion to your income? Well beyond our tithing. How large are your gifts in proportion to how much you have left after the bills are paid? About athird of my income or more.
  4. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of sacrificial giving?  She gave of here need to be blessed in and by her giving. What did that mean for her? That she understood ‘give and it shall be given unto you, … so 30, 60, or 100 fold’. What would sacrificial giving mean for you? Every time one choses to do without something so another may receive into their need it is rewarded. I delight in giving as the Holy Spirit leads. I have often been surprised at the direction and amount. Yet my needs in the days ahead were always met. Sacrifice is of believing in our self and struggling to believe we are truly more valuable to God that the sparrows.
  5. How does the widow demonstrate the principle of faith-filled giving? She knew she could trust God’s promises.  Is this the same kind of faith you and I exhibit in our giving? I believe so. Why or why not? Oh so often has God cared for our family beyond all natural understanding because we are delighted to give into needs as guided.
  6. What are the characteristics of well-to-do people who try to control churches by their giving? ( Luk 22:25  And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.) They want control and are parsiminous if their wishes are not followed. Expecting the sheherd to become their hireling.  If you become aware that such behavior is tolerated were you attend, depart it is a corrupt place and not a church serving God.