JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...

1. Why was Jesus so secretive about the location of His Passover meal with His disciples? (Luke 22:7-13) 
Jesus sent Peter and John on a secret mission to make preparations for the Passover meal - organize the room, prepare the meal and arrange for the lamb to be slaughtered. This had to be done secretly so that the authorities would not know where their meal was going to be held. The other disciples were not told about the location, even Peter and John never returned to the group before the meal; this was all done to prevent Judas from informing the religious leaders, who could then easily arrest Jesus in the privacy of that room. Away from the crowds and only the other eleven disciples present as opposition to His capture. Jesus is controlling all the possibilities, so as not to be arrested, since there was much He still wanted to accomplish that night. 

2. Why do you think Jesus desired with such great intensity to eat this Passover meal with His disciples? (Luke 22:15) What did Jesus hope to find in this sacred meal for Himself? What did He hope to impart? 
Jesus was eagerly looking forward to sharing this meal with His disciples because it would be His last Passover until the coming of the future kingdom. This meal itself looked back to the deliverance of God’s ancient people from the slavery of Egypt, and it looked forward to the salvation of all those who are born again through His sacrifice on the cross. He was the true Passover Lamb whose blood would soon be shed for the salvation of all who would trust in Him. As the spotless Lamb of God, His blood would be spilled in order to save His people from the penalty of death brought by sin. This was a passionate moment for Jesus as He now had arrived at the reason why He came to earth - to institute a new covenant with men, based on His own sacrifice. This was not the beginning of the end; it was the beginning of the beginning. Jesus was looking forward to the next meal, which would be at the Great Wedding Banquet (13:29; 14:15–24; Rev 19:7–9), at which all of believers, through all the ages, will enjoy the blessings of His presence for ever. With the arrival of this Kingdom the Passover will be fulfilled as God will have brought His people safely into His rest. As the Saviour, not wishing any to die but all to be saved, He was eager to earn salvation for all sinners, so that they could spend eternity with Him. 

3. Luke has a different pattern than we're used to: cup - bread - cup. What message does Jesus convey to His disciples with the first cup mentioned in 22:17? What is the message that comes with the second cup mentioned in 22:20? 
Here we have the first cup mentioning the last Passover meal and the second cup mentioning the first Lord’s Supper. With the first cup Jesus is placing emphasis on the fact that He will not eat the Passover again until the Great Feast in the Kingdom of God. In the Old Testament, Israel celebrated the Passover once a year, and this Passover looked forward to a future fulfillment, when the Pascal Lamb would be sacrificed. The last Passover was immediately followed by the Lord's Supper. The Lord Jesus instituted this sacred memorial so that His followers down through the centuries would thus remember Him in His death. Today, every time we celebrate the Lord’s Supper, we look into the future as well, to the promise of the wedding feast of Christ and His bride. In this way, the Lord’s Supper is a foretaste of heaven. One day we will see the Bridegroom in all of His glory, and we will see the church offered to Him in its perfection. That’s the future orientation of the Lord’s Supper. 

4. It's easy to see how wine conveys the idea of blood. But in what way does bread convey to us the idea of Jesus' body? Don't think of a risen loaf of yeast bread. Think of a flat loaf of unleavened bread, kind of like Jewish Matzos. 
Jesus held up the elements of wine and matzah and applied them to Himself. During the meal He broke unleavened bread with His disciples, and then held that broken matzah in His hands, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me” (22:19). Then after the meal He held up a cup of wine and with the same force of personal application to Himself, said, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you” (22:20). They were claims that were outrageous and blasphemous if they were not true; but they were true. When Jesus said of the unleavened bread, “Take, eat; this is My body,” He was not instituting an empty ritual. He was identifying Himself personally with both the matzah and the Passover lamb, bringing to mind the words of the prophet Isaiah: “Surely He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so He did not open His mouth. Isaiah 53:4-7. 

5. What does it mean when Jesus' says "This is My body given for you"? Given how? Given why? Given for what purpose? 
“This is My body given for you” is how we remember what Jesus did for us. As we eat the bread, we should remember how Jesus was broken, pierced, and beaten with stripes for our redemption. Jesus is referring to substitutionary atonement, in essence saying that His sinless body is sacrificed in place of our sinful body on the Cross. 
Jesus died once for all time in our place, on our behalf, for our sake, so that we might live forever in Him and for Him! Which is given for you - the bread represents Jesus' body which would be His substitutionary atonement. It is His body which is given for us. In other words, “in behalf of", "in the place of" or "for the sake of." 
Who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father (Gal 1:4). Thus, with His body, He gives Himself to us, and desires that we should take Him. The fellowship of the Lord’s Supper is a fellowship of giving and taking. Our Lord gives what our soul needs, that is His body and His blood. He gives the greatest and the best that is possible for Him to give - the broken body which He first offered to the Father as a sacrifice for sin, a sacrifice that filled Him with joy. And what He offered to the Father, to put away sin before Him, He now offers to me, to put away sin in me. Blessed God, may my taking be in conformity with Thy giving; Thy giving, the standard and the measure of my taking. What You give me as my share in Your broken body, will I take and eat. And my soul shall go hence, joyful and strengthened, to thank Thee and to serve Thee. Amen. 

6. What does it mean "Do this in remembrance of Me"? What are we to do? 
The bread that we eat at the Lord’s Table is intended to remind us of Christ’s body given as a sacrifice for our sins. The wine that we drink is intended to remind us of Christ’s blood poured out to make atonement for our transgressions. We are to do this again and again, to keep fresh in our memory Christ’s death on the cross. Our Lord knows how soon we are inclined to forget, and has chosen the Lord’s Supper to remind us of His love. Also, the thought of our Lord as a dying Saviour should keep alive within us a holy hatred of sin. We should reflect on that sacrifice, embrace Him by faith, and look forward in living hope to His glorious return. Amen. 

7. Extra Credit: What are the elements of the New Covenant compared to elements of the Old Covenant? 
The Lord’s Supper is a covenant meal - the Feast of the New Covenant. It is something quite different from the Old Covenant - infinitely better and more glorious. The Old Covenant which God made with Israel was indeed glorious, but it was not, as yet, adapted for sinful man, because he could not fulfil it. God gave to His people His perfect law, with the glorious promises of His help, His guidance, His blessing, if only they would live in obedience to Him. But man was still under the power of sin, and lacked the required will and strength to live a righteous life. A New Covenant was promised (Jer 31:31-34), ultimately to be fulfilled in Christ. This would be a radical change in God’s dealing with humanity. Jesus specifically instituted this New Covenant by His death on the cross, and He instituted the recognition and remembrance of it with the bread and cup of communion (22:20). The Old Covenant was the covenant of law between God and Israel. The new and better way is the covenant of grace - Christ's offer to forgive our sins and bring us to God through His sacrificial death. This covenant is new in extent as it includes all nations, and it is new in application because it is written on our heart and in our mind. It offers a new way to forgiveness, not through animal sacrifice but through faith. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). There is no need for anyone to perish. God has provided by which all might be saved, but a person must acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Saviour. When he does this, he has eternal life as a present possession. 

8. What does it mean "My blood, which is poured out for you"? Why was it poured out? Why "for you"? Why was the shedding of blood necessary at all? 
This is a reference to Isa 53:12, “He poured out His life unto death … and … He bore the sin of many.” The blood of Christ, the perfect Lamb of God (John 1:29), was poured out as a payment for the sins of the world. It was poured out because God had determined that to pay the penalty for sin, a life had to be given, and He chose to provide the sacrifice Himself – Jesus Christ His Son. Jesus says to His disciples, and to me, poured out “for you”. I can imagine how the disciples then must have been encouraged and strengthened by these two words. It is same for me; I feel that He is speaking directly me, by His Holy Spirit who is as near to me as He was to the apostles. He points me to His broken body and shed blood, and says to me: Poured out for you. Sin can be forgiven only when just payment is made, and this payment is death (Rom 6:23). That is, blood has been poured out. This death can be the death of an innocent substitute. God chose our Lord Jesus Christ as the innocent substitute - God made Him sin who knew no sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
And Can It Be - Charles Wesley (1738)
And can it be that I should gain
An int’rest in the Saviour’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me? 

1.  Why was Jesus so secretive about the location of his Passover meal with his disciples? (Luke 22:7-13)

Seemingly the location where the meal would be had was not to be known by all. A secret location so that they could be private. Maybe it was not mentioned where it was so Judas would not know. 

Jesus could have directed them exactly to the house. Giving the correct address, but no, He gives them a 'sign' to look out for. Follow a man carrying a pitcher. It was common to see women carrying pitchers. Seeing a man doing that was uncommon but would not fail to make them realize it was the right person they were following. 

2.  Why do you think Jesus desired with such great intensity to eat this Passover meal with his disciples? (Luke 22:15) What did Jesus hope to find in this sacred meal for himself? What did he hope to impart?

This would be the last meal with the Twelve. Also the Passover meal was special. 

This meal also points ahead to the great meal when we celebeate together as is spoken about in Revelation 19:9, the Marriage Feast (Supper) of the Lamb, at the end times. 

I guess He was hoping when they look back on these happenings they would recognize Jesus as being God's Passover Lamb that takes away the sins of the world. 

3. Luke has a different pattern than we're used to: cup - bread - cup. What message does Jesus convey to his disciples with the first cup mentioned in 22:17? What is the message that comes with the second cup mentioned in 22:20?

The msg was that Jesus would not again drink of the 'fruit of the vine' until the Kingdom of God comes. 

The second cup mentioned was the one after supper and He said it was the "new covenant ratified/affirmed in His blood". 

So Jesus was saying that a New Covenant was made. (Man had not been able to keep the first one). When a covenant was made, there was shedding of blood and often a meal. 

4.  In what way does bread convey to us the idea of Jesus' body? Think of a flat loaf of unleavened bread, kind of like Jewish Matzos.

At the Passover, the unleavened bread was used. Unleavened bread was originally used because of the time factor.

(Leaven was taken to be symbolic for sin.) The lamb used as sacrifice had to be unblemished not sickly or hurt in any way.

Jesus gave His body, which was sinless. Before being nailed to the cross that pure, sinless body, was beaten and broken for me/us. So that is how that bread broken conveys to us the idea of Jesus' body. 

5.  What does it mean when Jesus' says "This is my body given for you"? Given how? Given why? Given for what purpose?

Jesus gave His body to be beaten and then crucified on the cross, literally, it was broken for us. Instead of ours or in the place of ours, Jesus gave His body. It was given as a ransom, His body in exchange for mine.  

6.  What does it mean "Do this in remembrance of me"? What are we to do?

It refers to always doing it like that. A repeated or continued action. Doing it so that we will remember Him. We are to partake of the broken bread and wine (the Lord's Supper) so that we will remember the significance of His death, the ultimate Sacrifice for our sins. 

7.  What are the elements of the New Covenant compared to elements of the Old Covenant?

With the Old Covenant, they offered animals as sacrifices. The blood of the animal was then sprinkled on them, like sealing the covenant. But they did not keep their part of the Covenant. 

With the New Covenant, God promised to put His Law in their minds and write it on their hearts, their wickedness will be forgiven and their sins will be remembered no more. 

Christ's blood was poured out. His body was given. 

8. What does it mean "my blood, which is poured out for you"? Why was it poured out? Why "for you"? Why was the shedding of blood necessary at all? 

It means the blood of Jesus was shed to confirm the Covenant. The Covenant is between God and us. 

I will FORGIVE their wickedness and REMEMBER their sins NO MORE. 

We need to accept this by a personal FAITH in Him. 

• 6 months later...

Q1. Jesus gave Peter and John an errand which was unusual, it was like a secret code, which they had to work out. They were then kept busy so that they could not share details with the other disciples. All the secrecy was about Jesus not being betrayed before He was ready. Jesus had one more thing He wanted to do and that was to share the Passover meal for the last time with His beloved disciples. No names or exact places were mentioned just in case the information was heard by someone who would tip off the authorities as to where Jesus could be found. 
Q2.Jesus wanted to share this Passover meal with His disciples as it would be the last time until the Great Feast at the end of time. It would be the last time they would be together before Jesus died, and before their number would be reduced to eleven. For Jesus this was the beginning of the reason He came, the final get together before He would be arrested, His final opportunity to teach them and help them understand what was happening to Him. He was about to institute a new Covenant by the shedding of His precious blood. They were all thinking of the past as the celebrated the escape from Egypt but Jesus was showing them that He was now the fulfilment of a New Covenant by His death on the cross and resurrection and they could now look forward to forgiveness of sin and eternal life if they ratified the New Covenant by believing in Jesus and His death and resurrection. 
Q3.The first cup Jesus used was to show that it was the last time He would celebrate the Passover here on earth. The second cup indicated the institution of the Lords Supper which was to be a celebration or remembrance of what Jesus was about to go through on the cross.

Q4.Jesus precious body was broken and fragile  just like unleavened bread . Bread is a simple element that is easily available to use as a reminder to us of how Jesus precious body was broken for us. 
Q5.Jesus gave Himself, His precious body to be tortured and crucified in our place because only Jesus was sinless and therefore able to satisfy the wrath of God. Jesus died as our substitute, for all our sins and wickedness. He loved us so much that He left the splendour of heaven and was born in the most humble of circumstances and lived in obedience to His earthly parents even though He was sinless. When He started His public ministry He was disbelieved , reviled and rejected and eventually tortured and crucified like the worst of criminals. Jesus did all this because He loves us so much. So we continue to celebrate all this every time we take the bread and wine with fellow believers.

Q6. Jesus has given us the Lord Supper to remind us forgetful people of what He did for us on the cross. His precious body was broken for us by torture and His precious blood was poured out for us. Just as wine is poured into a goblet so His blood was poured out for us on the cross. As Christians we take part in this as a spiritual way of taking part in what yes went through, it is a time of reflection, thanksgiving and adoration. 
Q7.The old Covenant was for the Jewish people and the ritual killing of animals and sprinkling of blood for the forgiveness of sin. The people broke the Covenant by disobeying God. The New Covenant was instituted by Jesus when He died on the cross for all people of all nations. All people may partake in the New Covenant simply by turning to Him and asking Him for forgiveness for their sins. They don’t have to do anything else Jesus has done it all for us. When we turn to Jesus the Holy Spirit abides in us and helps us not to sin. He is our help and guide through life.

Q8.Jesus was poured out for us through His torture and death on the cross. He poured out all that He had for us to enable us to live in eternity with Him. Just as wine is poured into a cup so His blood was poured out for us because He was the only sinless person who could redeem us from our sin and hell. Jesus was the only one who could satisfy or pay God sufficiently for all the wrongs of humanity. What love is this ? How can we ever be thankful enough? Praise Him forever. 

• 1 month later...

1.    Why was Jesus so secretive about the location of his Passover meal with his disciples? (Luke 22:7-13)

He probably wanted to have the process of this important last teaching and impartation of doctrine to his disciples to be uninterrupted.

2.    Why do you think Jesus desired with such great intensity to eat this Passover meal with his disciples? (Luke 22:15) What did Jesus hope to find in this sacred meal for himself? What did he hope to impart?

It was very important because it was a legacy he wanted the disciples to carry to the next generations after them

6.    What does it mean "Do this in remembrance of me"? What are we to do?

Humans forget things easily and the disciples and those after them needed to keep remembering what and how it cost Jesus to reconcile them back to God and remain faithful hence the communion rituals.

1.    (Luke 22:24) Why does pride so easily dominate the life of leaders? Why do proud men and women seek out leadership roles? Why are we tempted to "lord it over" others -- at work? in our families? in our churches?

We are tempted to load it on others especially if we are in a higher position because of the common mentality that a leader is to be served.

2.    (Luke 22:25) Why are we eager for titles? Reverend, Doctor, Chairperson, President, Director, Minister. What do titles do for us? What do titles do to us?

We are eager for titles because of pride as titles puff us up. More so, titles make people respect us more and reserve good seats for such title holders.

3.    (Luke 22:26-27) How does a servant leader contrast with a self-absorbed leader? Whom should leaders serve? Their followers? or Christ? Can you cite any examples when who we should serve isn't clear?

A servant leader sees himself as one out there to serve. A self-absorbed person on the other hand sees himself as the one to be served.

Leaders should serve Christ as well serve the followers.

4.    (Luke 22:28-30) What are the four promises Jesus offers his disciples in verses 29-30?

Jesus:

i.  Acknowledged and appreciated his disciples for being for him during his ministry

ii. He conferred them with kingdoms

iii. Promised to dine and feast with them at  the marriage supper.

iv. Will appoint them as judges of the twelve tribes of Israel.