JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...

1.  Does the clause, "Peter followed at a distance," reflect positively or negatively upon his character? Why is he there at all?

Peter still follows as a disciple, but a closet-disciple. He wants to be near the Lord, but he is also scared of the consequences . His life is in danger. 

2. Who is seated around the fire in the courtyard? (To whom does "they" refer in verse 55?) Was Peter's danger real or imagined? What evidence do you have to support your answer?

The temple soldiers who have been instrumental in arresting Jesus are now waiting in the courtyard, possibly with other servants on (guard) duty at the house of the high priest. 

I guess it was real. Peter had been the one resisting them to arrest Jesus and had been the one to cut off the ear of the high priest's servant. 

The courtyard where they had gathered was not open to just anyone. Another person might not have gotten in. Only those known to the one at the gate could come in. 

At first no one said anything about Peter, it was dark he could mingle with the crowd. As it got lighter, he was recognized (it was not so easy to hide anymore) and bravado gave way to fear, which gave way to denial. Three times he was recognized before he up and fled when Jesus looked at him (after the rooster crowed) 

1. Does the clause, "Peter followed at a distance," reflect positively or negatively upon his character? Why is he there at all? 
I think it is easy for us to think of Peter following at a distance, and denying our Lord as a cowardly act, but I wonder if I would have done any better. All the disciples had fled, except Peter and “another disciple” followed the Lord even though it could have meant their death. To me this reflects positively upon Peter’s character. He followed at a distance probably through fear, and because he did not have the courage to be associated with Jesus. Also, there was the possibility that someone would recognise him as the one who cut off Malchus’ ear. He didn’t have to be there. Yet he is there because of his love for his Master, and because he must have been concerned for Jesus and wanted to know what would become of Him. 

2. Who is seated around the fire in the courtyard? (To whom does "they" refer in verse 55?) Was Peter's danger real or imagined? What evidence do you have to support your answer? 
Seated around the fire warming themselves, were the temple guards and the servants of the house. Thinking that he faced real danger, Peter put himself among the servants hoping to blend in, and not be recognised as a follower of Jesus or the person who cut off the ear of Malchus. This could easily have resulted in his arrest and death. Jesus had warned Peter earlier (22:31-32) that the disciples, but especially Peter, would face severe trials. Satan wanted to crush Peter and the other disciples like grains of wheat, hoping to find only chaff and blow it away. If we recall, Jesus said, “But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail” (22:32). Jesus knew that Peter having faced this trial would recover, and be able to strengthen fellow believers. Which he did at Pentecost when he addressed the crowd and about 3000 were saved (Acts 2:41). I feel sorry for Peter, who in a state of panic, had forgotten what Jesus had told him earlier, and to him the danger was real. 

3. Why do you think Peter's courage melts so quickly? 
Peter who had earlier told Jesus that he is prepared to go with Him both to prison and to death (22:33), who is now trying to hide among the servants, gets identified by a servant girl (22:56). One can imagine the suddenness and boldness of the servant girl in recognising him must have caught him off guard. He is now frightened and panics. Peter’s denials got progressively more intense, he denies knowing Jesus, "Woman, I don't know Him" (22:57); he denies being a follower of Jesus, "Man, I am not!" (22:58); he even denies that he is from Galilee, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" (22:60). What is worse Mat 26:74 tells us that at the last denial Peter even began to curse and swear, hoping that it would distance himself from being associated with Jesus. We see his courage quickly melting away! 

4. What does Peter's denial consist of? Why is it so serious? In what ways do modern-day Christians deny Christ in similar way? 
In Peter’s first denial a servant girl recognised him sitting in the firelight, and accused him of being a follower of Jesus. Taken by surprise he denies knowing our Lord. A little later someone else saw him and accused him of being a member of that notorious band. He now denies with greater emphasis his discipleship. Finally, another declares that Peter was with Jesus, for he is a Galilean. This Peter vehemently denies, and the threefold denial of the Lord had become a fact. No doubt cowardice had a share in the denials, but there was more than that in them. Peter was worn out with fatigue, excitement, and sorrow. To deny Christ is serious. I can think of two instances where Jesus says that He will disown those who deny Him. “But whoever disowns Me before others, I will disown before My Father in heaven” (Mat 10.33), and “If we disown Him, He will also disown us” (2 Tim 2:12b). Those who deny Christ will be denied by Him. Here the thought is not of a temporary denial of the Saviour under duress, as in the case of Peter, but a permanent, habitual denial of Him. These words describe an unbeliever - one who has never embraced the Lord Jesus by faith. Today we deny our Lord Jesus Christ by our unbelief, by our doubts, by our sinfulness, by being swayed by current opinion, by not standing up for Jesus when being threatened, even by our cowardice. By being ashamed of admitting being a Christian for fear of ridicule, for fear of being laughed at. 

5. What effect does it have on Peter when Jesus turns and establishes eye contact with him? What do you think is communicated in that look? 
At the moment of Peter’s final denial, the **** crowed, and in that dark moment Jesus turned and looked at Peter, and he remembered the prediction that before the rooster crows, he would deny Him three times. This look of the Saviour, whom he had so deeply grieved with his great sin, entered deeply into the heart of Peter. As Jesus is led past him, he sees that look, so full of love, reproof, and pardon bringing him back to loyalty, and saving him from despair. The assurance of Christ’s knowledge of our sins against Him melts the heart when the assurance of His forgiveness and tender love comes with it. 

6. Why does Peter weep bitterly? 
Peter recalled every word of his Master, and also how he had boasted about being willing to follow Him to prison and to death (22:33), then went out of the palace into the open and wept bitterly. He was totally aware of the mighty wrong he had done the Lord. The tears flowed but they do not wash away the sin, but they also flowed from the assurance that Christ’s love, like a flood, had swept it away. There was sincere sorrow and repentance. Peter’s repentance was the consequence of Jesus’ love shown to Him, and the sign of his recovery. Jesus knew Peter had learned his lesson; his faithlessness had ended when his heart was broken. 

7. Only a few stories are told in all four Gospels. Why do you think Peter's denial is one of these? Why do you think Christians can relate so easily to this story? 
I think we relate so easily to this story of Peter’s denial because we are all guilty of doing exactly the same sometime in our own lives. We deny our Lord Jesus Christ by our disobedience, by our rejection of Him, by our pride, and our selfishness, among other things. We put our trust in either church membership or baptism and communion but not in Jesus Himself. We so easily reject Him when things go wrong in our lives, or when we face troubles of any kind, or when we don’t get our way. When we rely on our own worldly wisdom, or the wisdom from fellow men (1 Cor 3:18). When our hearts are not right with God, when we are so self-confident and full of pride. Instead, we need to have a childlike confidence to trust in God from day to day. Our spiritual security should come from true faith that relies on God to fulfil His promises. We can and should take warning from the bad example of Peter, we have a greater responsibility, because we can learn from his mistakes. Let us learn from this story, how vulnerable we are if rely on ourselves. We must resist the temptation to be selfish and self-focused. The one who thinks he stands will not stay on guard against temptation, so he may easily fall. This story about the denial by Peter is recorded in each of the four Gospels, and I think this has been done to teach us an important lesson, that even though we fail the Lord, He will forgive us when we repent. 

3.  Why do you think Peter's courage melts so quickly?

Peter is alone in a crowd of people who captured the Lord. The intent was to bring Him before the high priest, without the crowd of people who followed Him by day and happily hung on His every Word. Who believed Him to be the awaited Messiah. In darkness, Peter could still mingle undetected in the crowd. But daylight was fast approaching. Then when the servant girl recognized him among the men and openly spoke the truth, that he had been with Jesus, Peter's courage started to melt. A second one recognized him and then a third one. 

The big thing was also guilt. He had said He would follow even if it meant being killed. Now he was denying Him. So we find courage melting into fear. 

4.  What does Peter's denial consist of? Why is it so serious? In what ways do  modern-day Christians deny Christ in similar way?

(v57) Woman, I do not know Him! 

He denies being associated with Him. 

(v58) You are one of them also. Peter said, Man, I am not! 

He denies belonging to the group who was with Jesus. 

(59 & 60) This man also was with Him, for he too is a Galilean! Peter said, Man, I do not know what you are talking about! 

He denies knowing Jesus. 

We too get into the 'denying' situation by remaining silent, or by our actions not being Christlike and then we make excuses about them. 

5. What effect does it have on Peter when Jesus turns and establishes eye contact with him? What do you think is communicated in that look?

I think Peter had pushed into the background what Jesus had said about the denial. It was only when the rooster crowed and he met Jesus'  gaze, that it really penetrated what he had done. Peter remembers and is devastated for his actions. Peter knows that Jesus knows. 

I think Jesus' look is full of sadness and yet forgiveness. 

6. Why does Peter weep bitterly?

He feels terrible that he denied the Lord in such a manner. He is overwhelmed with grief and shame

7. Only a few stories are told in all four Gospels. Why do you think Peter's denial is one of these? Why do you think Christians can relate so easily to this story?

One can only surmise. Easy to say there are important lessons to be learnt from it. So are many happenings. In spite of the "bigness" of Peter's sin, he was forgiven and restored as leader of the Apostles. I think it is an example and encouragement for us to do likewise. When there is repentance, forgive in the real sense of the word. Allow the person to start anew. 

• 7 months later...

Q1. I think Peter following at a distance is both positive and negative. I think it is positive because it shows he does love Jesus and he is concerned about Him. Most of the other disciples were nowhere to be seen, but Peter was there although at a distance. The negative is the fact that he was afraid for himself, a very human reaction and I am pretty sure I would have done the same! He was also guilty of slicing off Malchus’s ear , so he may have feared that if he was recognises he may be punished.

Q2. They refers to those who had come with Judas to arrest Jesus. They included the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders. Peter was in danger because these people were trying to get rid of Jesus and those who follow Him. Peter had also cut off the ear of the servant of the high priest. The high priest would welcome any reason to arrest and punish Peter. 

Q3. It is a fast evolving situation, Jesus being arrested, the atmosphere of spiritual darkness, and Peter’s rash move which led him to injure Malchus. Peter thought he was hidden by mingling among those sitting around the fire but no , a servant girl recognised him. In his panic Peter says “Woman I don’t know Him”. To add to Peter’s distress not long after this someone else recognises him and says You were also one of them”, Peter’s immediately responses “ Man I am not”, things are getting more awkward and dangerous for Peter! Some time later he was recognised as a Galilean and again Peter denied His Lord. All Peter’s courage had melted away. He was probably very tired and hungry as well which wouldn’t help matters.

Q4.Peter’s denial consists of denying His Lord from fear and panic as well as his humanity and instinct for survival. Once the denial is stated, it gets easier and more automatic to do the same again and again. Today Christian can deny Christ by keeping quiet in situations where they should speak up and stand up for Jesus. We can also deny Christ by not trusting Him in our lives and by our sin. 
Q5. When the Lord turns and looks at Peter, I am sure it just brought him back to reality! He remembers what he has just done and how Jesus had told him this would happen but he remembered that he had told Jesus how he was ready to go to prison and death with Him. The guilt and disappointment Peter felt must have been miserable! He wept bitterly. I think Jesus communicated to Peter disappointment but also forgiveness and love because that is who Jesus is a God of forgiveness and love.

Q6.Peter weeps bitterly because he is truly sorry for what he has done. He is riddled with guilt and shame and self loathing and wonders how he can ever make it up to Jesus. Or maybe the look Jesus gave him of love and forgiveness made him feel even worse about himself because it was so full of compassion and all Peter can think is ‘Why, Why did I deny My Lord’. 
Q7.I am sure we can all relate in some way to this story because unfortunately we have all in one way or another denied Christ at some stage of our Christian life. At times it may not even be deliberate but in retrospect we realise we should have said something or spoken up in a situation and didn’t. Jesus is equally as full of love and forgiveness to us as he was towards Peter, and this should encourage us to strive all the more to use every opportunity that comes our way to speak up and share Our Wonderful Lord and Saviour with those who don’t know Him.

• 1 month later...

1.    Does the clause, "Peter followed at a distance," reflect positively or negatively upon his character? Why is he there at all?

It reflects negatively. Peter is just like many of us. The spirit is willing but the flesh controlled by fear draws Peter behind- following but at a distance.

2.    Who is seated around the fire in the courtyard? (To whom does "they" refer in verse 55?) Was Peter's danger real or imagined? What evidence do you have to support your answer?

Peter is seated with some people who had built a fire to warm themselves. His danger was real because he was a disciple of the arrested Master and had even drawn a sword against one of the men that had gone to arrest Jesus.

3.    Why do you think Peter's courage melts so quickly?

Peter’s courage melted because he was just as human as anyone of us with emotions including fear.

4.    What does Peter's denial consist of? Why is it so serious? In what ways do modern-day Christians deny Christ in similar way?

I think Peter’s denial was turning his back to his master he had earlier vowed that he would not abandon. This is serious and is the same as when we violate any covenant or commandment from the bible. 

5.    What effect does it have on Peter when Jesus turns and establishes eye contact with him? What do you think is communicated in that look?

When Jesus turned to look at Peter, the eye contact caused Peter to recall his earlier boasting that he would never abandon his master. Thus he felt bad for his failure and left crying. 

6.    Why does Peter weep bitterly?

Please see part of my answer to question 5.

7.    Only a few stories are told in all four Gospels. Why do you think Peter's denial is one of these? Why do you think Christians can relate so easily to this story?

Peter's denial has found place in the Gospel because it demonstrate what the average follower of Jesus does in one form of denial or the other. We all therefore have to be watchful and prayerful so that we would fall into temptation and sin against the Lord.