JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...

1. What does Simon carrying Jesus' cross tell us about Jesus? About Simon? In what sense must His followers carry His cross today as they follow after Him? 
It was a part of the condemned criminal’s humiliation to carry his own cross to the place of execution. When Jesus was unable to go further due to His weakened condition, the Roman soldiers drafted Simon of Cyrene to carry the cross for Him. What might at first seem like a random action was all part of God’s pre-determined plan, it brought Simon of Cyrene in contact with Jesus Christ. To Simon this unexpected, humiliating, and difficult situation actually turned out to be a wonderful opportunity, for it brought him in contact with our Lord. Simon became a believer after his encounter with Jesus, as he is mentioned by Mark as the father of Alexander and Rufus (Mark 15:21), who, together with Simon, became leaders in the church at Rome. God can still use unexpected and difficult situations, even humiliating situations, to bring people to the Saviour. Today, we are called to deny ourselves, take up His cross and follow Jesus (9:23), but we must do this in a spiritual sense. Willingness to endure shame, suffering, and perhaps martyrdom for His sake. To follow Him means to live as He lived with all that involves of humility, poverty, compassion, love, grace, and every other godly virtue. It means to die to sin, self, and the world. Ours may be a physical cross, or a mental cross, or a spiritual cross, but day by day we must bear it. 

2. Why does Jesus tell the daughters of Jerusalem to weep for themselves and their children? 
There were a large number of people sympathetic towards Jesus, among them were woman who wept and wailed because of Him. He told them not to weep for Him, but rather they should be weeping for themselves. Previously He had foretold them about the coming destruction of the temple (21:5-9); about the coming wars and persecution (21:10-19); about the coming destruction of Jerusalem (21:20-24). Jewish culture at the time, regarded it as a special blessing of the Lord to have children, and a disgrace to be barren. But Jesus is saying it will be a blessing not to have children, as one of the most terrible things for a mother to witness is the killing of her own children. And the killing of innocent children and babies will happen in times of war and persecution. People will be in such distress that they would call on the mountains and hills to cover them and destroy them (Hosea 10:8). Some 40 years later the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans did occur, bringing terrible devastation upon the Jewish people. 

3. What is the significance of Jesus being crucified among common criminals? Why does the Father allow this event to be so degrading and degraded? 
This was deliberately done to shame and humiliate Jesus, as if He too was a criminal. A criminal on either side of Him, both had been found guilty and deserved to die, but each one makes a different decision about Jesus. One would spend eternity with Jesus, the other would be lost to eternal damnation. But, at the same time the prophecy of Isa 53:12, “He was numbered with the transgressors”, was being fulfilled. His death and resurrection were essential acts in fulfillment of the Father's will. Jesus was not a victim of circumstance. He was in control, “No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord” (John 10:18a). “This command I received from My Father" (John 10:18b). The degradation He faced. “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor 5:21). Jesus had the weight of the sins of the entire world on Him (1 John 2:2). So, as brutal as Jesus' physical suffering was, it was nothing compared to His having to bear our sins and die to pay the penalty for them (Romans 5:8). As horrible as His physical suffering was, the humiliation, the shame, the mockery, the tainting, the dishonour He had to go through, but it was nothing compared to the spiritual suffering He went through. The suffering heaped on Jesus is the ultimate example of the hatred and rage sinful man feels toward a holy God (Romans 3:10-18). “He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not” (Isa 53:3). “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed) (Isa 53:5). He was so degraded. Psalm 22:14-18 says it all: “I am poured out like water, and all My bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within Me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue sticks to the roof of My mouth; you lay Me in the dust of death. Dogs have surrounded Me; a band of evil men has encircled Me; they have pierced My hands and My feet. I can count all My bones; people stare and gloat over Me. They divide My garments among them and cast lots for My clothing” (Psalm 22:14-18). 

4. In His prayer, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" whom does Jesus forgive? Can we be forgiven if we know full well what we are doing? Was Pilate forgiven? The soldiers? The chief priests? Judas? Does that mean we will see them in heaven, or is it a "potential pardon" only which must be accepted? 
Jesus forgives all those who truly repent and put their faith in Him as their Saviour. He is ever ready to forgive all those who come to Him in repentance. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). He came to save sinners, not wishing any to perish. There is no resentment, no anger, no desire for punishment upon those who ill-treated Him; only love as He prayed for His enemies at such a time. Not only was He practicing what He taught (6:27–28), but He was fulfilling prophecy and making “intercession for the transgressors” (Isa 53:12). We can see His compassion when he prayed, ‘Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing’ (23:34). This does not mean that their ignorance is a basis for forgiveness, or that they were automatically forgiven because of Jesus’ prayer. Yes, we can be forgiven if we know full well what we are doing. Was Pilate forgiven, the soldiers, the chief priests, Judas; not if they didn’t confess, accept Jesus as their Saviour and truly repented. Certainly, both the Jews and the Romans were ignorant of the enormity of their sin, but that could not absolve them. The Law provided a sacrifice for sins committed ignorantly, but there was no sacrifice for deliberate intentional sin (Exod 21:14; Num 15:27–31). Our Lord’s intercession postponed God’s judgment on the nation for almost forty years, giving them additional opportunities to repent and be saved (Acts 3:17–19).

5. Why did Pilate write the inscription, "This is the king of the Jews?" What did he mean by it? What is the full significance of this placard? 
It was customary for the one to be crucified to have their crime written out and placed on top of the cross, so all would know the reason for the crucifixion. Pilate hated the Jewish leaders and had proclaimed again and again that Jesus was innocent of any crime, but they had won a victory over him, forcing him to sentence Jesus to be crucified. He gets his own back on them, by writing the inscription, "This is the king of the Jews”, by which he is essentially mocking them. The chief priests protest to Pilate asking him why he wrote “This is King of the Jews”, and demanding that he should have written “He claimed to be King of the Jews." But this time Pilate refuses to yield to them, and states: "What I have written, I have written" (John 19:22). At least he can claim a minor victory over them. He is saying: “Here is Jesus, the King of the Jews, the only king they have been able to produce, a king crucified at their own urgent request!” God Almighty is saying: “This is Jesus, King of the Jews indeed; and not only this, but by means of this very cross He is King of kings and Lord of lords” (John 19:21). Even in His death, Jesus was recognized as a King, being proclaimed as King to the whole world through His own death. Kings of this world take their throne through others dying. The title was also a proper justification of the sinless nature of Jesus, for on either side were criminals with descriptions of their crimes; on the cross of Jesus, it simply described who He was, no crime is mentioned at all, because it was true. He had no sin. 

1.  What does Simon carrying Jesus' cross tell us about Jesus? About Simon? In what sense must His followers carry His cross today as they follow after Him?

By this time, Jesus, who had already been flogged and beaten and endured terrible cruelty by the hands of the captors , was very weak and was no longer capable of lifting and carrying the cross-beam alone.

Simon who was in from the country and among the crowd was randomly grabbed to carry the cross for Him. 

We need to be willing to endure shame and hardship (be willing to be rejected, shunned, ridiculed) for His Name sake, as we follow the path He has chosen for us. 

2.  Why does Jesus tell the daughters of Jerusalem to weep for themselves and their children?

Jesus knows what is lying ahead. He had already publicly warned about the destruction of the temple. Terrible times were coming. It is very hard for a mother to see her child/ren suffer in any way. Here again in love Jesus reminds them that terrible times are looming ahead. This is what happened at the siege and destruction of Jerusalem.

3.  What is the significance of Jesus being crucified among common criminals? Why does the Father allow this event to be so degrading and degraded?

Jesus was obedient to the very end. Even though it meant death on the cross. Death among thieves. Now being associated with the despised of the despised and suffering a most cruel death. As saying He too is a criminal and there He bore my sins, my shame together with the sins and shame of the whole world. So He became what He wasn't so that I /we could be set free. He took my/our place amongst those thieves. This was foretold long before. Read Isaiah 53.

Sin is degrading and that is what He became for me. 

THANK YOU JESUS, MY LORD AND MY SAVIOUR. MY REDEEMER. MY ALL. 

4.  In his prayer, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" whom does Jesus forgive? Can we be forgiven if we know full well what we are doing? Was Pilate forgiven? The soldiers? The chief priests? Judas? Does that mean we will see them in heaven, or is it a "potential pardon" only which must be accepted?

We are told in Scripture that Jesus paid the price for all sins. 

It is up to each and every individual to accept that PARDON. 

In John 3:16 it is... "whosoever believeth"... 

No restrictions are given. 

It is a GIFT for each and everyone. We need to accept it with thanksgiving. And live as Pardoned individuals. 

5. Why did Pilate write the inscription, "This is the king of the Jews?" What did he mean by it? What is the full significance of this placard?

At the crucifixions, it was customary for the reason of death to be written on a tablet and slung around the offender on the way to the crucifixion site. 

Jesus was found by Pilate to be innocent. There was no crime against Him.

The Jewish leaders were jealous of His popularity and were blinded and did not see the sign of the times. To them it was blasphemous that He had claimed to be the Son of Man, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Now the placard was there proclaiming Him to be the One Who He truly was, THE KING OF THE JEWS. By God's grace also our King. 

• 7 months later...

Q1.Jesus was expected as a man about to be crucified to carry his own cross to the place of crucifixion. Jesus had just been flogged with a vicious whip with tips of metal or glass designed to tear the skin and cause pain, torture and a lot of bleeding. Along the way the soldiers must have seen that Jesus was weak and suffering from blood loss. They pulled Simon from Cyrene, who had come into Jerusalem from the country from where he was standing and made him carry the cross for Jesus. We are not told of the effect this had on Simon but one can only imagine that it would have affected him deeply.  We are called to take up His cross daily be standing up and speaking out for Jesus. We must also live our lives in every way to honour and glorify Him.

Q2.Jesus turns to the women who are weeping for Him. He tells them not to weep for Him but for their children, because a time is coming when the city of Jerusalem will be surrounded by Roman soldiers under Titus who will besiege the city for six months in 70 AD. Starvation, illness and a horrible death awaits them. 
Q3. Jesus took our punishment for our sin. Sin is so abhorrent to God that there could be no dignity for Jesus our Redeemer while He was going through our punishment. Therefore all His torture and crucifixion took place in horrific circumstances. And He humbled Himself and became obedient to death even death on a cross. Philippians 2v8. Jesus was treated like a criminal and Crucified with two criminals one on His right and one on His left. I don’t know why the Father allowed His Son to go through this degrading and shameful death , but I think we need to see it to understand just how awful our sin is and how abhorrent it is to God. It also shows us just how obedient Jesus was, and most of all just how much He loves us. Thank you Jesus. 
Q4. Jesus will forgive anyone who turns from their sin and asks for His forgiveness. Each one of us is responsible for our own actions. We have to take on that responsibility. Jesus is saying that He forgives those who are responsible for His torture and death, but they must now turn to Him for forgiveness. We will not see these different participants in heaven unless they have come to Jesus in humility and turned from their sin and followed Him. 
Q5.This inscription was probably written under Pilates instructions as a jab at the Jewish leaders. Maybe He was feeling guilty because he had given into what they wanted even though he knew Jesus was innocent and did not deserve all that Pilate had permitted Him to go through. The placard was nailed to the cross and not put around Jesus’s neck as was more usual. It did not state His supposed crime but ironically stated His true title: “This is the King of the Jews”. 

• 1 month later...

1.    What does Simon carrying Jesus' cross tell us about Jesus? About Simon? In what sense must his followers carry his cross today as they follow after him?

Jesus was already exhausted and weak from beatings and all manner of afflictions as he staggered with the cross. Jesus needed such a relief from Simon I think.

Although Simon was made to carry the cross by the soldiers, I think he was delighted to be of help to our suffering Lord.

To carry a cross is to endure hardship for the Lord and his service especially bringing souls to him.

2.    Why does Jesus tell the daughters of Jerusalem to weep for themselves and their children?

Jesus foresaw the destruction that was coming and the suffering that that generation would go through and their children and consoled the women to mourn about it rather than crying for him.

3.    What is the significance of Jesus being crucified among common criminals? Why does the Father allow this event to be so degrading and degraded?

Jesus crucifixion among the common criminals was significant because it was fulfillment of prophecy about him.

4.    In his prayer, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" whom does Jesus forgive? Can we be forgiven if we know full well what we are doing? Was Pilate forgiven? The soldiers? The chief priests? Judas? Does that mean we will see them in heaven, or is it a "potential pardon" only which must be accepted?

Jesus forgave everyone that was involved in humiliating and subjecting him to suffering including Pilate, the leaders, soldiers etc.

We can still be forgiven if we knowingly sin as long we confess and repent of the sin.

Everyone except Judas who had committed suicide provided the repent thereafter.

5.    Why did Pilate write the inscription, "This is the king of the Jews?" What did he mean by it? What is the full significance of this placard?

Pilate wrote what he wrote provoke the Jewish leaders for arm-twisting him to grant the license to kill Jesus because he knew they would not like it.

Nevertheless, what he wrote was the truth that Jesus was the king not only for Jews but for everyone. All needed to be done is to accept him to reign in our lives.