JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

1.   Why do you think Mary wanted to see her kinswoman Elizabeth? What do you think Mary hoped to get out of the visit?

Mary had just been told she has been chosen by God to be the mother of Messiah – all very overwhelming! The angel had also told Mary about Elizabeth being 6 months pregnant whom she knew to be barren and elderly. So, this was also a miracle and there was a lot to share with each other. They could compare notes and rejoice together, and being older there must have been a lot Elizabeth could teach Mary. Everything was very hard to believe, especially for such a young girl, and a visit to Elizabeth would confirm what the angel had told her. It wasn’t that Mary did not have any faith, but confirmation would most definitely strengthen her faith.

2.   In what sense is Mary blessed among women?

Blessed because she was chosen to carry the Saviour of the world. Elizabeth is saying, you are the most blessed because you have the greatest child. Blessed are you, Mary, above all other women, you have been chosen to carry the Saviour of the world.

3.   Mary "believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." How did her actions demonstrate this?

By declaring that her soul glorifies the Lord, Mary is proclaiming the greatness of Jehovah. Her heart filled to overflowing with thanksgiving for that which God had done for her. She does this joyfully, and enthusiastically, as she adds that her spirit rejoices in God her Saviour. She sings how proud she is that God chose her, and she praises Him for having especially blessed her.

4.   How does saying psalms of praise bring benefit to God? How do psalms of praise benefit us?

It brings us into an attitude of the heart that is so filled with wonder and gratitude at what God has done. We worship Him for who He is, and what He has done. We glorify our Heavenly Father by our praises. For us, it takes our thoughts away from our personal needs, and helps us focus on God in praise and adoration.

5.   In what ways do you think Elizabeth acted as a mentor to Mary? How has someone mentored you in the Lord? How has God used you to mentor others?

Being much older and therefore more mature and experienced in life, Elizabeth was able to teach and instruct her. Being 6 months into her pregnancy God had provided Mary with a mentor during the 3 months Mary stayed with her relative. Most probably until the birth of John the Baptist. No, unfortunately no one has ever mentored me, and I have never had the privilege of having been a mentor.

1. Why do you think Mary wanted to see her kinswoman, Elizabeth? What do you think Mary hoped to get out of the visit?

Mary and Elizabeth were both with child. These children were both sent with a specific purpose connected to each other if one can put it like that. I am sure Mary was greatly encouraged by Elizabeth and vice-versa. Mary's time to be misunderstood and looked down upon was fast approaching and her time with Elizabeth would be of great help to her. At least Elizabeth would understand her.

2. In what way is Mary blessed among women?

Mary is blessed in that she believed the angel and also in that she showed no resistance for what God was about to allow to come to pass.

3. Mary "believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." How did her actions demonstrate this?

Her trip down south to her cousin Elizabeth was evidence of her belief. She went to Elizabeth, the one person who would be able to help her.

4. How does saying psalms of praise bring benefit to God? How do psalms of praise benefit us?

We are acknowledging Him in praise and declaring our trust in Him. When we do that we become filled with joy.

5. In what ways do you think Elizabeth acted as a mentor to Mary? How has someone mentored you in the Lord? How has God used you to mentor others?

Elizabeth was used as an instructor and teacher and as a friend and confidant. Elizabeth was pregnant .... it was a miracle and much talked about , .... Mary was about to enter a similar period in her life.

11/23/2020

Mary wanted to see her kinsman Elizabeth because of the spiritual placed on them by the angel Gabriel.  From the beginning of Mary's journey when she had met angel Gabriel,  she has faith to trust in him. She had a belief that fasted all of her understanding in what she was told.  Not knowing length of their conversation Mary appeared to be comfortable with him and her love of God gave her no fear but assurance, also her love for Elizabeth's condition helped also helped.  I believe Mary was hoping to out what had happened to Elizabeth as well.  They could talk like women do, " girl what happened, what was it like for and  on and  on?" They both sought out comfort in each other that they could not find anywhere else, and the only other was Gabriel and He was not to be messed with at that point with questions.

2.  Mary above all women on earth was without sin, she was from the blood line of David, never been with a man, the world would have strange beliefs that virgin, a virgin could conceive a baby , but to bring forth the savior of the world.  I was amazed to hear  Minister Farrakan refer to Mary as the mother of Jesus in Islam as the only woman named in the Quran, which refers to her seventh times and explicitly identifies her as the greatest of all women, stating with reference to the angelic saluation during the annunciation, "O Mary, God has Chosen you, and purified you; He has chosen you above all the women of creation." According to the Quran, divine grace surrounded Mary from birth, and as a young woman.  This made me really thank God For Jesus.

3.  Mary, despite the experiences she was going through with her own family, her own body, now with Joseph.  Mary and Elizabeth consoled each other.  Elizabeth helped prepare for own upcoming birth that she knew she had to do it alone.

Why do you think Mary wanted to see her kinswoman Elizabeth?

I believe she wanted to talk to someone who had similar experience as she. God had performed a miracle on both women. Elizabeth's womb had been made alive and Mary’s had conceived as a virgin. Yes, I believe she could use some encouragement. After all, who would believe she was pregnant without being with a man?                                                           

What do you think Mary hoped to get out of the visit?

It’s possible that Mary was looking for encouragement , support and confirmation from Elizabeth. In verse 41, upon hearing Mary’s voice the baby leaped in her womb and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit spoke through Elizabeth to Mary Verses 41-45

In what sense is Mary blessed among women?

The scripture says she is blessed among women because the “fruit of her womb” she believed and had faith what was said would come to pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you think Mary wanted to  see her kinswoman Elizabeth?  What do you think Mary hoped to get out of the visit?  

Mary, in my opinion, went to see Elizabeth because she believed everything that the angel told her, therefore, she went to be Elizabeth who was experiencing the supernatural of the Lord just like herself.  Mary went to went to be with someone who could identify with her.  The same angel whom carried the message to Mary the news of her immaculate conception, visited Elizabeth's husband and foretold to him the birth of his son at their old age.   

I believe that Mary got affirmation and confirmation that she was visited by God's angel.  She probably thought that her mind was playing tricks on her.  She believed in God,  but still the flesh told her not so.  How could anyone give birth without first engaging in intercourse.  No one has ever given birth by immaculate conception since the beginning of time, since the creation of mankind.  She probably pondered this thought within herself until she witnessed God miraculous works. She saw first hand how God had blessed Elizabeth at her old age to carry her only child full term (never had she experienced a miscarriage before, never had she been pregnant until now).  Elizabeth experience no abnormal side effects or had any prenatal complications with her pregnancy.  Mary witnessed the strength Elizabeth had in her old age to deliver in birth a healthy son.  After witnessing these things which she knew could only happen by God only, she was strong enough to bear all things that was foretold to her by the angel regarding her pregnancy, the birth of her Son and His purpose.  She had the confident that God had chosen her to accomplish this assignment. She accepted in faith and never complaint.  Even though she indeed was highly favored, above all women, she was humbled in spirit.   

Q1.The angel Gabriel had told Mary that her cousin Elizabeth was also going to have a baby, this was an extraordinary event as Elizabeth was well past her childbearing years . Mary and Elizabeth had there pregnancy’s in commen and both in very unusual circumstances. So Mary may have felt Elizabeth was the person who could help her to process and understand all that was happening to her. Mary was in a hurry to go and spend time with Elizabeth to share with her, to be advised by her, to be mentored by her and to be encouraged to face everything and everybody on her return in an obvious state of pregnancy.

Q2.Mary is blessed among women because she has been chosen by God to be the mother of Jesus. Elizabeth recognises this by the power of the Holy Spirit who gave her special knowledge of Mary’s blessing. 
Q3.Mary said to the angel “I am the handmaiden of the Lord. May it be to me as you have said”. Mary then prepared eagerly to go and visit her cousin Elizabeth who was also expecting a baby. She was the one person who would be able to understand what was happening to Mary.

Q4.Psalms and Praise bring benefit to God when we acknowledge all that God has done and is doing for us in our lives. We also reminds ourselves of who God is, and of all His beautiful characteristics. It makes us humble as we realise that we are sinful and just how holy God is. We also realise again just how dependent on Him we are and how gracious He is to us always.

Q5.Mary would have been nurtured and encouraged in the Lord by Elizabeth. She would also have been older and therefore been able to instruct her, be her confidant , and friend during a time of confusion and excitement. 
I have been blessed to have a couple of people in my life that have mentored me when I became a Christian at forty. I have also helped a few ladies in the same way. It is a role I love just to be able to talk freely about the Lord and share the ways He helps each day with the ups and downs of life. And also to be able to listen, so often that is all that is needed to help someone. 

• 1 year later...

Why do you think Mary wanted to see her kinswoman Elizabeth? What do you think Mary hoped to get out of the visit?

A. I think that she wanted somebody to talk to that wasn’t going to condemn her. She probably wanted an understanding as to what was going on with her.

In what sense is Mary blessed among women?

A. She was blessed among women because she was carrying the savior of the world.

Mary "believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." How did her actions demonstrate this?

A. From what we read in the Bible, she didn’t complain. She knew that God was going to help her and she was doing what God wanted her to do.

How does saying psalms of praise bring benefit to God? How do psalms of praise benefit us?

A. We are to thank God for all that He dose of us. So saying a psalm of praise must make Him feel good about us. The psalms benefit us because we know that God has accepted our praise.

In what ways do you think Elizabeth acted as a mentor to Mary? How has someone mentored you in the Lord? How has God used you to mentor others?

A. Elizabeth acted as a mentor to Mary be telling her what her baby did when she entered her house. She was able to confer what the Lord has told her.