JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Power

• 1 month later...

With the Holy Spirit in us we become effective witnesses of the Good News. it gives us power to spread the Word of God to many people.

Acts1:8 servers as an outline of the book of Acts because we see the disciples and everyone who received the Holy Spirit being able to preach the Word of God to various people in different places. Indeed the Word of God reached people not only in Jerusalem but also in Judea, Samaria and.all the nations of the world.

We must also spread the Good News in our communities to fulfill  Acts 1:8

As mortals we are burden by our presuppositions to many of the questions of life and its meanings. Our objectivity is tainted and influenced by the world around us. As Christ has died for our sins, and provided the door through which we are able to journey through, we will continue to sin and as a process of our sanctification with the power of God Himself, i.e. the Holy Spirit, are we able to anchor our focus in God and His absolutes. That is the power of God through which we are able to live a life that is righteous in His eyes. 

In my journey in life, I realize my inadequacies and my weaknesses and constantly seeking His Word, to guide my compass. Unless, we submit to our inabilities and cleanse ourselves, can the Holy Spirit dwell and guide us.

God Bless

Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus offers us Power to proclaim the gospel to all people, Power to pray according to the will of God, Power to live the life that pleasing God and power to be His instruments whenever He wants to use us.

Acts 1:8 is a blueprint because it acts as the central source of enabling the spread of the gospel to the whole world. We can fit in only when we will be ready to put into action what Jesus commanded us; to go and be His witnesses all over the world.

Q2:  We receive power from the Holy Spirit that goes beyond our human ability. With His power within us, "all that Jesus began to do and teach" (Acts 1:1) was continued.         What began with Jesus continued in the first century believers and continues today with us, believers in the power of the Holy Spirit.

As Jesus went throughout with the gospel message, "you will receive the power and be my witnesses"; believers continue to deliver the gospel message of forgiveness of sins through the work of Jesus on the cross, follow Him, and continue the commission of Acts 1:8; all under the power of the Holy Spirit, not ours.

It started where Jesus left off; the gospel fulfilled! That was Jerusalem. Now, it needed to go beyond. Jesus never intended this message to stay in one place but to reach all with the Good News. That continues today because Jesus' story is for all to hear and receive, all through the power of the Holy Spirit in us! His life-changing message continues!       

Jesus offers us the power to witness about him without hesitancy and embarrassment.   He puts the words into our mouth to replace our inadequate efforts.

The book of Acts is a series of concentric circles, radiating out from Jerusalem, and gradually becoming wider and wider until it reaches the edges of the known world.   Verse 8 shows how this is going to happen - first to Jews in Jerusalem, and then gradually further and further afield, until it includes Gentiles as well as Jews, thanks to Paul's pioneering work.   We may not be able to trudge on foot from town to town, as he did, but we are commissioned to spread the word among our communities and to the edges of our particular world.

What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit? In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts? Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8?

I'm struck by how Acts 1 is similar to the Great Commission:

Mat 28.18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the ...

Acts 1.8  But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and  ... to the ends of the earth."

Authority is a form of power. It's the power to control or command or persuade ... 

From this I conclude that the power Jesus offers us in the Holy Spirit is authority, the power to influence others. 

--

Regarding how I (and you) fulfil Acts 1.8 ... I don't know about you, but I fall woefully short. If I have the HS's power of Acts 1.8, then i'm not using it effectively. It does make me wonder if the HS has actually "come on" most Christians, for if so, where is the fruit?  I say this about my own life. I wonder if I'm carving out too small an area of influence, if my "service areas" assume that I'll be witnessing of my own power, not His, if I've actually received His power.

12 hours ago, Krissi said:

Regarding how I (and you) fulfil Acts 1.8 ... I don't know about you, but I fall woefully short. If I have the HS's power of Acts 1.8, then i'm not using it effectively. It does make me wonder if the HS has actually "come on" most Christians, for if so, where is the fruit?  I say this about my own life. I wonder if I'm carving out too small an area of influence, if my "service areas" assume that I'll be witnessing of my own power, not His, if I've actually received His power.

• Thank you for your honesty because I very often feel this way.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:50 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 1:8) What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit? In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts? Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8?

through the holy spirit, I will be enabled to speak the message of salvation, the message of healing, the message of encouragement. fears will be changed to boldness in doing what the Lord Jesus wants us be doing. 

the holy spirit enables the obedient Christian to become like Christ, who was/is not fearful in doing the works of his Father; to give life, heal and encourage people. He will be like a spark that would kindle the ignite the fire in us. To become a witness and help fulfil the great commission Jesus gave to his disciples. 

We, as believers, once filled with the Holy Spirit are given unbelievable power. It is not only the power to witness for Christ, which is most important, but it is also the power to pray for and intercede on behalf of others. This is so important during the times we are living in. There are so many who are sick, going through bereavement, and dealing with loss of homes due to natural disasters as well as those who may have had to flee their countries. The Holy Spirit allows us to take action whether in person or through prayer, we are on the front lines and although it can be tiring, mentally draining work, the Holy Spirit allows us to regain strength and continue even when we may think it impossible. 

Q2.Jesus offers us power to be effective witnesses for Him in our everyday lives. When we receive this power we find we can speak up for Jesus without fear or embarrassment. In Act 1v8 we see the way Jesus planned that the gospel would spread throughout the countryside and then to all areas along the Mediterranean and on to North Africa, Iran, Iraq, on to India and it also reached England. So we in our small way must continue this on throughout our sphere of reach. For some of us that may not be very wide for others it may be to other countries but wherever it is it’s about being faithful to talk to as many people as possible about Jesus. We may think our reach is limited but we do not know what God can do with our small offering. Maybe some young person we share the good news with may become a missionary or may become a preacher, and reach many people for Christ but it may never have happened if we had not shared the good news with that person.

Acts 1:8 serves as an outline for the book of Acts because it refers to how the believers will be witnesses for Christ to the ends of the earth.  As you read through Acts, it recounts how the believers were witnesses for Christ beginning in Jerusalem and moving outward from there.  The church (including us) is still at work spreading the gospel to the ends of the earth through our message and acts of love.  

On 9/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, kreilly said:

Thank you Kreilly for being so honest to bring this up. I have been baptized in the HS. Yet, I have felt the same way and sometimes question if I have truly received the HS. The Bible tells us that the apostles had been imparted with various measures of the power of the HS during Jesus' life and ministry prior to Pentecost in order to carry out specific assignments. Yet, they too were frail and weak at times. 

Q2. (Acts 1:8) What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit? In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts? Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8? 
Once we have put our trust in Jesus Christ as our Saviour, we can experience the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. And the kinds of power Jesus makes available to us, through the Holy Spirit, includes boldness, confidence, courage, insight, ability, and authority. Jesus had instructed His disciples to witness to people of all nations about Him (Mat 28:19-20). The way this is to be done is by the power of the Holy Spirit. That is why the disciples were told to wait first for the Holy Spirit (1:8). Once having been empowered by the Holy Spirit they are to declare the gospel in ever expanding areas throughout the world. This was the method used in the book of Acts. 
We need God’s timing and power to be truly effective. Instead of running ahead of His plans, we might need to wait and listen first for God’s complete instructions. As disciples of the Lord, we too are to spread the gospel of good news throughout the world, and to do this we will need the power of the Holy Spirit as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/2037-q2-power/

Jesus offers power that enables declaring the Good news of God’s love and salvation brought by the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ

Acts 1:8 is a blue print of the Book of Acts because it contains in a condensed summary of the activities of the disciples from the receipt of the Holy Spirit, the preaching of the Good News in Jerusalem, the ensuing persecution that cause the disciples to flee and in flight, thus fulfilled the preaching of the Good News in Judea, Samaria and throughout the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Acts 1:8) What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit? In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts? Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8

The power to be confident in our message because its rooted in a powerful relationship with Jesus. We know He is real & the message is true because it has become real in me!!! We know it is through the message I have this relationship with Christ.

Acts 1:8 is an "outline" of Acts because we see that it is the power of the Spirit that gives the early Church to move from their base in Jerusalem to the furthermore part of the known world in just a few years. How was that possible? Through the same power of signs and wonders that Jesus performed. And He only performed them because He was anointed by the power of the Spirit.

We fit into this because the job isn't finished & Jesus hasn't returned. We live on a part of planet earth where the majority of the people have never heard or understood the Gospel. If we have been filled with the Holy Spirit  we have the power & responsibility to witness to who Christ is & what He has done!!!!

• 1 month later...

Q2 

I feel the power of the holy spirit come over me during worship and alone time . The holy spirit prompts me to pray for individuals,  the Holy spirt gives me insight to a person's life.   the Holy spirt cause me to weep . the holy spirit gives me the ability to have a childlike faith . The Holy spirit removes fleshly desires and gives me authority over sinful thoughts . the holy spirit conqured me  through the reading of scriptures to give up any drinking of whiskey wine and beer    and Gave me the power to stop smoking .. His presence is forever through the infilling of the holy spirit AMEN !! 

It is imposible  to live as a Christain without the daily infilling of the Holy Spirt When Jesus Taught In Matthew 16:24-26   24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?   THe only way we can Wlak with Jeus and in his Power is to have the Holy Spirit dwell in us !! 

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Acts 1:8) What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit?

To be witnesses 

In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts?

This verse is the thread of the remainder of the Book of Acts in that it tells of the advancement of the Gospel throughout the world and the beginnings of the church body through the power of the Holy Spirit, not only to the Jews present but to the Gentiles as well.

Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8?

We are continuing the work of Jesus that He started, that the disciples and other believers continued, in advancing the kingdom to His and the Fathers' glory through the empowerment of the person of the Holy Spirit

• 2 months later...

The kinds of power that Jesus offers us is being able to witness to the Good News. To spread this new to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8 is an outline to the Book of Acts by telling what we will do when we receive the Holy Spirit and Acts is the account of how that happens. We fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8 when we witness to others.

• 5 months later...

Jesus offers us the power to be witnesses, to heal, to proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God, to do good cf. Acts 10:38, Romans 12:21. Acts 1:8 functions as an outline for the Book of Act in that:

1- It encourages us to observe the source behind the boldness of the early Disciples 

2- It shows us that the command to witness that Jesus gave started eventually from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and has gone across the Earth

3- It teaches us that the other disciples indeed needed the Power of the Spirit of God to make Jesus known cf. Acts 7, Acts 19:1-2

4- It gives us a fuel and burning desire to witness even today’s seeing that evangelism becomes easy when we obey God through the Holy Spirit and cooperate with Him.

We fit in this Acts 1:8 , in that the word of God is alive and this command is also for us today.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Acts 1:8)

What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit?

In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts?

Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8?

He offers us power to witness wherever we are.  The places named viz., Jerusalem (this was where they were at the time , so it can be defined as being at home or  in our communities), Judea and Samaria (these were the neighbouring districts, still in the land of Israel,  so this can be  taken as being in the neighbourhoods of our surroundings, not too distant places but further afield than at home) , the ends of the earth, (this speaks for itself, as being far-flung areas, literally any place on earth).  So put plainly we are offered POWER to WITNESS and not be afraid to do so, wherever we find ourselves to be.  Basically to tell all about Christ, boldly, whether it means to be martyrs for our witness or to be accepted for our witness.

The book of Acts starts telling us or sharing with us how the Followers of Christ, witnessed in Jerusalem first, how this quickly spread and those having receive d and accepted the Word then spread the Good News further afield as they returned home and then when the persecution spread, the followers were dispersed to all sorts of places and became witnesses where they  then settled.  We then have the written accounts of Peter, Paul, Silas and Barnabas and others reaching far-flung areas.  Not all accounts were recorded in the Bible.  The book of Acts is not yet completed, because still today, the Good News is shared.  We too continue with this wherever we are living.  We too need to be witnesses.