JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Prayer

Q3. (Acts 1:14) While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19). How would you describe what was happening with this “Fellowship of the 120”? Have you ever been part of a group praying like this? Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? How much of your church’s “prayer meeting” is spent in actual prayer?

• 1 month later...

They were praying together in preparation for the coming of the Holy Spirit. 

Yes, there are times when we gather in one place and pray together especially if there is something important that is going to take place or when we are facing some difficulties.

It is very important for us to pray together as fellow Christians , we motivate each other and our prayers become more effective.

Individual prayer is more powerful than group prayer if the people praying are disunited. The book of acts 2 showed they were in one accord then the Holy Spirit, the promise of the Father, was released.  I have been in group prayer, some done honestly with tremendous results and others done hypocritically with no results because our hearts are far away from each other.

Prayer is a very wonderful experience one needs to have. I can't imagine and even trying to describe this unit of 120 people gathered together with one accord praying to GOD. 

Yes I have participated in a group of people of that number or more when i attended prayer conference.

Yes I do value prayers and in small groups of our church we regularly meet to pray.

Prayer meetings at our church is non stop; we have a chain of prayer every week there's a group of people who are responsible to pray in those seven days!

Prayer is a very wonderful experience one needs to have. I can't imagine and even trying to describe this unit of 120 people gathered together with one accord praying to GOD. 

Yes I have participated in a group of people of that number or more when i attended prayer conference.

Yes I do value prayers and in small groups of our church we regularly meet to pray.

Prayer meetings at our church is non stop; we have a chain of prayer every week there's a group of people who are responsible to pray in those seven days!

Prayer is an essential part of the life of every believer and I value the power of prayer. I have seen some miraculous things that I can only attribute to God's hearing the prayers of his people. I have participated in group prayer, not only at my church, but in a retreat type setting. It is an almost indescribable experience when men and women of God get together to pray. I can only imagine what it must have been like when the Holy Spirit came upon the 120 on the Day of Pentecost. My church meets to pray at least twice a month, for at least an hour, on a conference call now since COVID-19. The entire hours is devoted to scripture, prayer and songs as each participant is led to do.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 1:14) While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19). How would you describe what was happening with this “Fellowship of the 120”? Have you ever been part of a group praying like this? Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? How much of your church’s “prayer meeting” is spent in actual prayer?

Individual prayer is powerful and without it we can never be relational with God. We set aside our reasoning and look to God as our Objective Compass. Without that spiritual link we are not in union with our Creator. Therefore to presuppose that fellowship as being more powerful, I believe is wrong because we can never see the objective nature of the person we are praying with. BTW, I do not believe Matt 18:19 implies that prayer in group is more powerful than individual prayer. Like some have mentioned in this forum, that even when people gather and pray, there is nothing spiritual unless each of them already have that relationship with Jesus. So how do we presuppose that prayer in a group is far more powerful. James also did write in James 5:16 "..............The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working" (ESV). The key is the individual and his righteousness. A righteousness, obtain by God's grace through a life anchored in God and His absolutes, becoming the empty vessel through which the Light of our Saviour shines through. A life giving praise, thanks, glory and worship to the One true God. My humble opinion. God Bless.

Thanks for your thoughts, Luke. Maybe we can view group(corporate) prayer and individual prayer as having different purposes.

Matt 18:19 is in context of advice to the church. Is Jesus establishing/predicting corporate prayer in his Church?

We hear of faithful people praying in a back room for the Spirit to move in hearts of those in an evangelistic meeting. SImultaneously, a sinner in the meeting is convicted by the Spirit and pleads for God's forgiveness in Christ's name.The Spirit is at work in both prayers.

One of LUke's in Acts is to show the growth of the new church, so commencing with a united corporate prayer meeting may set an example for church fellowship. Thanks

I agree that corporate prayer needs a unity of thought and purpose.    Unfortunately, the ravages of Covid have meant that any form of Bible study or prayer group has had to be shelved for the time being, as we are severely limited in the numbers we can have at any meeting.    Even our church services are limited in number, although we have had some relief over the last week.   Returning to corporate worship and prayer will be a wonderful experience

While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19).

Like Luke wrote above, I don't see that this verse suggests corporate prayer is "stronger" than individual prayer. I also don't think there is an additive effect if two people pray ... or five people ... ten people. I used to act as if God would hear/respond if more people prayed. Functionally, I believed this, anyway. If I had a serious problem or issue, I'd ask many people to pray for it with me, as if this would "juice" God into responding. A large prayer meeting seemed more effective than a few people, and a few people more effective than just me.

I haven't acted or believed this for many years. Now, I believe God hears individual prayers as much as He hears corporate prayer. Group prayers are not more powerful

Elijah put his head between his knees, to block out sight and sound -- alone, he begged God for rain.

How would you describe what was happening with this “Fellowship of the 120”?

Thank you for your insight into the intensity of this period. I never really thought about how intense it must have been for the disciples to wait, expectantly, for something to happen when they didn't know what it was they were waiting for.  How were they praying? For what? I imagine the eleven disciples in the upper room, praying for Jesus' return ... for His presence ... for his bodily presence ... for wisdom and guidance going forward. But the fact is they had no specific idea what to pray for because they didn't know the next step they were to take.

I hesitate to make parallels between my own life and this wonderful moment in church history, but will say that right now, I don't know my path going forward. I can't see it. I don't feel His guidance or intuit His presence. So I can easily imagine what it is like to "pray into the dark" not knowing, even, how or what to pray.

Have you ever been part of a group praying like this?

No. I have never been with a group praying with this sort of intensity.

Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? How much of your church’s “prayer meeting” is spent in actual prayer?

Yes, but group prayer, in my life, has been far less effective and powerful than individual prayer: I confess this.

God seems grow faith in solitude -- often. Though most of us have had powerful times of growth by our "Cheriths" -- few of us have had powerful upper room experiences with others. Obviously, the disciples were together when the spirit descended on them in fuller measure, but note that for the remainder of their lives they were NOT together but alone, or with one or two trusted partners. 

The corporate aspect of prayer and faith seems a bit overrated, imo. We make a huge deal of the church and the body of Christ, then approach the throne of grace alone. We contemplate and pray, quietly ... in our closets, far more than with others. I do not think this is wrong. God may have designed us to come to Him in solitude. 

It may be the case that the body of Christ is designed to work, serve and do things, to be ACTIVE  ... more than God designed the body to be contemplative and prayerful. The upper room experience may be more anomalous than a pattern.

Q3.Both personal prayer and corporate prayer are important. We should not pass one over for another. It is good to have someone to pray with or for you when we are worried or in trouble of any kind . This time between The Ascension and Pentecost was a time of preparation and waiting for the Holy Spirit to come. The disciples were involved in an intense period of prayer and being together in unity, They were devoted to prayer and to each other.

I have been involved in corporate intense prayer. We pray in the Autumn before the children’s outreach and activities start for the winter. We pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters. We prayer before camps start in the summer, at Easter and in October. Any important event coming up or any crisis situation is covered in prayer by the church. Not all people turn up to these prayer meetings! 
If we are members of a church we are part of the church family and as such we should turn up to planned prayer meetings , if at all possible. It should be a delighted and a privilege to do so. 
In an hours prayer meeting we would spend approx 50 minutes in prayer the other time would be spend on a Bible reading and comments to direct our thoughts to the purpose in hand.

I have had the privilege of participating in a number of prayer groups.  At times, small groups from my church have gathered and everyone took a turn praying.  I currently meet with a group of sisters on zoom each Friday and we fellowship, share our prayer requests and spend time in prayer.  I also am able to join a prayer call over the summer with a group of people where we all take turns praying for our state, country, leaders, and each other.  These times are so amazing.  I have seen so many prayers answered and been refreshed and encouraged to hear others praying for needs that we agree upon.  It takes some humility to share honest prayer requests but when we break down our pride, admit our weak areas and problems, and allow others to pray for us, God can really use that.  We are part of Christ's body.  We are not our own.

Q3. (Acts 1:14) While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19). How would you describe what was happening with this "Fellowship of the 120"? Have you ever been part of a group praying like this? Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? How much of your church's "prayer meeting" is spent in actual prayer? 
A fellowship of disciples had got together to choose a replacement for Judas Iscariot. To be chosen he had to have accompanied them during Jesus public ministry, and had been with them witnessing Jesus’ resurrection. The names of two men were put forward as possessing the necessary qualifications, Joseph caked Barsabbas, and Matthias. They then prayed asking God for wisdom and guidance to help them make the right choice. Ultimately Matthias was chosen by lot. While the apostles waited, they were doing what they could - praying, seeking God's guidance, and getting organized. Being careful not to run ahead of God, but wait for instructions as He commanded. When we face a difficult task, an important decision, or a baffling dilemma, don't rush into the work and just hope it comes out the way it should. Instead, the first step we take should be prayer asking God for wisdom and guidance. We know that if we ask anything according to God's will, He hears those prayers and will answer them. And the only way we can know God’s will is by studying His Word. “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of Him” (1 John 5:14-15). When we pray together it creates unity, we encourage one another, and it helps us to be there in love for each other in time of need. 

Q3. (Acts 1:14) While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19). How would you describe what was happening with this “Fellowship of the 120”?   

Group prayers are powerful. A group of people coming together in prayer  are able to pray in unity and as Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered in his name he shall be there in their midst. 

When Jesus was about to be lifted to heaven, he told his disciples not to leave Jerusalem for in a few days they were going to receive a gift that had been promised by the Father, a gift of the Holy Spirit.  As the disciples waited they gathered  other believers and prayed waiting on the promise of the Holy Spirit. 

Yes I have been part of  praying groups in the recent past. One group came together on Whatsapp when covid19 pandemic came and there was a lockdown in Kenya. We were many people in the group and prayers went on 24/7 for 3 months with people picking the hour they are to watch and pray.

I am on another church group where we meet on zoom every day at 4.30am for 1 hour to pray. 

Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? Yes I value the power of prayer and by praying I have seen God work. How much of your church’s “prayer meeting” is spent in actual prayer? During Church we spend about 1 hour in prayer and worship and at times we meet for worship nights and spend more time in prayer 

• 3 weeks later...

Q3.  How would you describe what was happening with the Fellowship of the 120? This was a time of devoted prayer life, to do as they did,being busily engaged in prayer and being devoted to praying.

Q3. (Acts 1:14) While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19). How would you describe what was happening with this "Fellowship of the 120"? Have you ever been part of a group praying like this? Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray? How much of your church's "prayer meeting" is spent in actual prayer?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/2038-q3-prayer/

The 120 group were all united in one accord to fervently pour out their hearts to God for His intervention- to help them in their current separation from their master and the fear of the Jews who can pounce on them at any time. This kind of prayer generates power from above.

Yes, we have had occasions where in my former church in Lagos Nigeria where we organize night vigils where many members come together to pray for the church and the nation.

On how much of my church’s prayer meetings are spent in actual prayers, I regret to say that I have occations to lament  how more than 50% of the time for prayers have been taken up by sermons. I have always believed that there is time for sermon/ teaching but there should be adequate time to pray. 

• 3 weeks later...

They have a tremendous unity because they have all shared in the same experience of the resurrection experiences. Also they have all received the instructions to wait. There was probably a lot of praise & worship. They were in transition!!!! They had to learn to rely on the Holy Spirit as they had relied on Jesus! There was probably great expectation which would be reflected in their prayers.

Yes when I was in Burton on Trent as a church leader there was a move of the Spirit in the town and the tremendous confession & unity and prayer amongst the leaders was a key ingredient. We would often go away to a Monastery for a weekend for fellowship and prayer.

Early morning prayer meetings with men & intercessors prayer meetings had at least 50% time in prayer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 1:14)

While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b) …

"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19).

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven."

How would you describe what was happening with this "Fellowship of the 120"?

They were all united under one roof and praying together - there would have been a tight bond that would have developed between Jesus' followers and now there would have been more of a reason to stay together (to encourage each other, etc.) now that He was "gone" - no doubt they were fearful, as there were doubts and fears even when He was performing miracles and such on earth right in front of them. Was the appearance of the 2 men in white apparel while Jesus was ascending a coincidence?  I don't think so, perhaps it was a confirmation that God knew the onlookers needed to re-emphasize the fact that Jesus was going to return to restore again the kingdom to Israel (vs 6 says they were asking and in vs 7 Jesus says it wasn't for them to know) - pretty awesome if that is the case - that God foresaw that need and sent 2 witnesses to confirm what Jesus had said He was going to do, but later!)

I have and it was very powerful and there were many answered prayers, but I have to confess it was many years ago -  I have spent 20 years a prodigal outside the will of God, Jesus has drawn me back into the fold recently to which I am eternally grateful (I believe it was through my parents continuous intercessory prayer that helped, and I thank God for them too).

Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray?

I long for that fellowship again but with COVID it is difficult - I am currently joining in with an online group, am new to the city and looking for a home church to be with regularly - prayer is essential - Jesus prayed continuously with his disciples, for his disciples and for Himself.  There is a need for spiritual battles to be won and group prayer strengthens our position against the wiles of the devil and binds us closer (there is strength in numbers) - we never know who may be encouraged and that is part of our mission here too - the lifting up of each other as Jesus commanded (love your neighbour as thyself) - we are one body in Christ (John 17:21 - Jesus prays that we all may be one referring not to an "organization" but a spiritually united body) and we owe it to one another and to Him - the author and finisher of our faith :) Paul in his letters to the churches began with "We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you" (Colossians 1:3); "We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers  (1 Thessalonians 1:2) (meaning more than one person was praying for them, or so it seems)

How much of your church's "prayer meeting" is spent in actual prayer?

The online body to which I am tuned into on Wednesday nights, open with one to two hymns, a scripture reading and the rest of the time is spent, going over the needs of the small congregation, for our government, specific news concerns and I am looking forward to meeting them in person some day !

• 2 months later...

They were and asking for Jesus to return. They didn’t know how to go out and teach the Good News as they were probably praying about that since Jesus said to spread the word. I am in a prayer group like that. We pray for the things that are happening in the world and for each other.

• 6 months later...

The 120 disciples were obeying the Master as He called them to pray cf. Luke 18:1.  By God’s Grace yes I have been part of a group praying like this. God willing, yes I do value prayer enough to pray and invite others to pray along. In our local Church we have 2 days in a week were we pray. Both sessions are spent in prayer and short admonishments. 

• 11 months later...

Q3. (Acts 1:14)

While we know that individual prayer is powerful (James 5:16b), Jesus indicates that group prayer is even more powerful (Matthew 18:19).

How would you describe what was happening with this "Fellowship of the 120"?

Do you value prayer enough to gather with others to pray?

How much of your church's "prayer meeting" is spent in actual prayer?

I personally think that the fact that they were together in one accord, in unity, this was a way of finding comfort and encouragement,  and enabled them to be motivated to put into practice what they had learnt.  They were drawing strength from the fact that they were not alone in this.  They stood together and prayed together, agreeing together, waiting together.  I know that Christ is aware of what we will pray before a word is uttered but I do feel that it is important to open ones heart and mind to Him also.  To voice our joy, sadness, request etc., makes it more real.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Truly, I can not imagine the spiritual convulsion at that moment because of  the meeting of the 120. Those 120 were in obedience preparing the coming of the Holy Spirit.

2. I'm not being part of a group like this, but with small ones.

3. Yes, I value prayer a lot and I pray with my friends every day.

4. Actually my church has a praying group from monday to friday, we pray for an hour and half.