JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Church

• 1 month later...

I just switched churches -- I had been a long-time Anglican and am now in a small, tightly bound church. The differences between these churches are, frankly, breathtaking. I have, then, a comparison for those seven characteristics of the early church you listed in the narrative.  I'll refer to the churches as ONE and TWO.

1.  Welcomed the message. Church one somewhat welcomes the message, but is restrained and quiet about talking about it. Evangelism is not important to Anglicans. Church two is rather boisterous about the message of salvation -- in the services, people pray to be saved.

2.  Growing. Church one split in half, which is why I left. It was not growing. As an aside, one of the wonderful side effects of the COVID fiasco is how it exposed the true character of people and congregations: Church one fell apart; Church two grew. Last week church two gave congregants cards to give to outsiders who may be interested in coming to church again -- they're trying to get people back into church after COVID. The message on the card was "HOPE IS HERE."

3. Devoted to apostolic teaching.  I think both churches are committed to the teaching of the apostles. In a way, the Anglican church (church one) more closely repeats, in the liturgy, the teachings of the early church fathers.

4. Devoted to the fellowship. I'm not sure that either church has common property or the sort of giving and caring that first-century churches claim to have.

5.  Frequent eucharist. Church one has the eucharist at every service -- church two's eucharistic services are monthly. I miss the frequent eucharist.

6.  Frequent prayer.  Church two is far more devoted to prayer, (spontaneous and sincere prayer,) than church one, which has a tendency to rote-pray or pray previously written prayers, some of which are hundreds of years old.

7.  Care for needy.  Church two had two unexpected deaths recently --  they're caring for remaining widows and families. Church one merely announces deaths with subsequent services. Both churches bring meals to families. I do believe that the second church, however, has a much more robust and activist approach toward those who need physical help in life -- housing, food, etc.

--

So, which of these characteristics is needed, today? All of them. 

Again, COVID was an eye-opener, for me. It revealed the stamina and strength of church leaders and their congregations ... both good and bad. I think it's a positive development when weak churches die and their remaining members join congregations which are thriving and growing --  the church is stronger after this winnowing process. I see God's hand in this. He's preparing the remnant for whatever may happen in the near future. 

We've been so fortunate (I'm writing as an American). Our needs have been few. We have been relatively wealthy and safe. But ... this may soon change and the churches which are spiritual vital and mature will be able to pivot to meet the needs of the newly needy in their congregations. Perhaps, too, as persecution grows, believers in vital and mature churches may soon trust and cling to each other more than they do now -- the church will be more cohesive. I also believe that the spiritual depth and strengthening of faith of congregants, will be a positive consequence of persecution and difficulties.

COVID was merely the first salvo thrown at the church, a relatively weak one at that. It's already made true Christians stronger.

Q5. They devoted themselves to teaching. True Bible based teaching. 
They devoted themselves to fellowship. A place where people are loved because Jesus has told us to love one another. There should be a sharing of anything we have , if anyone is in need.

They devoted themselves to the breaking of bread. It should be done often and with great reverence.

They devoted themselves to prayer. Prayer needs to be frequent 

They cared for those who were in need. 
All these aspects are important today just as they were for the early church.

In my church Teaching is Bible based and covers all of the Bible including the difficult parts. At the moment our Bible study mid week is spent going deeper into the previous Sunday’s sermon. 
There has been some fracture in fellowship since COVID but attempts are now being made to get everyone to come back to fellowship. I must add that our Pastor was great during the year in contacting individuals via zoom or phone. Also having online sermons , Bible study and daily devotional. It was our place to join in. 
We celebrate the Lords Table every second week. It is done with great respect and rejoicing.

We pray before everything that may be happening in the church eg last night we had a prayer meeting for the start of the youth work as we come out of restrictions etc. We gather for prayer once a week. This I think is our weak point, very few turn up to prayer meetings, and it’s always the same people who turn up.

We have a number of missionaries that we support as a church. We do very little in our local area unless we do it as individuals.

Characteristics of the early church according to acts 2:42-47 are necessary for our today's churches.

1. Devotion to apostle's doctrine- apostle's doctrine was all about Jesus,and Jesus always taught about true repentance, this is also necessary for our churches today, we may have other teachings but we must insist people especially in our congregations to turn from sinful life and live a holy life that pleases God.

2. Devotion to fellowship- this fellowship we see from the early church is necessary to us today, we really need it. People nowdays seem to be very busy to a point that they miss fellowship between one another and if that is missing, there can never be true prayer, true service in our congregations.

3. Devotion to breaking of bread- today's church we have it as the Lord's table, this is also so necessary because it when we commemorate how Jesus gave His life for us.

Devotion to prayer- prayer must be a life style of today's church. In our days we need prayer more than anything else since the world now is in great trouble. As church we must stand together praying with all the efforts.

Devotion to care for one another- This shows love, a true love that Jesus taught us. Even if we would not apply it as the early church did, but we can show it in other and a very good way of caring for one another as a a church of Christ.

In our church, we are more healthy in apostle's teaching (doctrine), in Prayer, and in breaking the bread.(Lord's table)

We are unhealthy in taking care for one another, True fellowship is not consistent because people are very busy.

May the Lord help us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. (Acts 2:42-47) What characteristics of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 are necessary for healthy congregations in our day? In which of these characteristics is your congregation most healthy? Most unhealthy? 
Jesus said, “I will build My church” (Mat 16:18). The church, still future when Jesus spoke these words, was formed on the Day of Pentecost and is composed of all true believers in Christ, both Jew and Gentile. A distinct society known as the body and bride of Christ, it has a unique heavenly calling and destiny. Unless it has the characteristics Peter mentions it will not survive. The congregation was composed of believers who steadfastly devoted themselves to the Apostles inspired teaching; Biblical doctrine today. There will be constant growth as they reach out to the local community. It will be a learning church, having a hunger for the Word. Another evidence of a healthy congregation will be its commitment to fellowship. There will be the desire to be together with other believers and to share things in common. A sense of being separated to God from the world, and a community of interests with other Christians. There will be frequent celebration the Lord’s Supper. It will be a praying church. One that will be completely dependent on the Lord for worship, guidance, preservation, and service. Finally, it will be a caring church, one that has a program for caring for the needy in the congregation and community. My church is a healthy praying church, spending much time in prayer, and one that is serious about teaching the true Word of God. Not so healthy is the growth of the church. 

Q5. (Acts 2:42-47) What characteristics of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 are necessary for healthy congregations in our day? In which of these characteristics is your congregation most healthy? Most unhealthy?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/2043-q5-church/

The characteristic of the new church:

·        Devoted to the apostolic teaching

·        All believers were together and shared possessions

·        Sold their possessions and shared

·        Devoted to the braking of the bread- holy communion etc.

• 4 months later...

I think that everything that is in Acts 2:42-47 are necessary for a healthy congregation. We need to keep on learning about our Lord and Savior. This would bring this crazy world into a better relationship. I think that our congregation is most healthy in devoting ourselves to fellowship and to the teaching of the Apostles. The unhealthiest is not breaking bread together very often.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (Acts 2:42-47)

What characteristics of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 are necessary for healthy congregations in our day?

In which of these characteristics is your congregation most healthy? Most unhealthy?

Characteristics that should stand out in a healthy congregation :

• Welcoming the message
  • Growth (people being saved), not by "sheep snatching"
  • Teaching and training to be people of the Word
  • Fellowship with people of like faith (others that also love Jesus as their Lord and Saviour)
  • Breaking of Bread together (share the Lord's Supper). Reverence the value of it.
  • Prayer (together) Eph 5:18b-20 admonishes us to speak to one another in Psalms and Hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord,  always giving thanks to God the Father for all things, in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  
  • Care for the needy

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Devote ourselves to Jesus' teaching, solidarity among believers, armony, devote ourselves to meeting together.

2. Preaching and teaching the gospel.

3. Give testimony to non believers and make disciples.