JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Christians have been persecuted by their governments and by others of other faiths (and sometimes by those within the Christian faith!) since Christ's death and resurrection. Note that God did NOT intervene to protect these apostles from flogging and humiliation -- he let them suffer. In other words, God chose for them to suffer in prison and eventually even chose to have them murdered. He did not merely permit suffering, but chose it. If God is sovereign, and I believe He is, He is also sovereign over the events in people lives that cause their suffering. God could have rescued the disciples miraculously, as He had done earlier, but did not.

Suffering, then, is a part of God's will for our lives.

Thus, I believe this was included in the Bible to help us deal with unjust, unmerited suffering inflicted on us by the government class, non-believers and other believers. In a way, it makes suffering seems senseless and God callous -- why doesn't God deal with innocent suffering? I don't have an answer to this. But I do know that He chooses us to suffer for Him, to "take up His cross." I see these passages as less about bold evangelism as about our passive acceptance of wrongs, suffering and injustices that God Himself willed to take place in our lives.

The persecution of Christians in my country -- the United States -- is intensifying as the government class comes down hard against Christians, further delimiting the remaining space in which we can publicly express our faith. The areas in which we are allowed to be Christian-- to OPENLY act, talk and live out our faith -- are shrinking; venues for sharing the gospel are being reduced to clandestine one-on-one exchanges in the workplace, academe and public gatherings.

The church will prevail, however. We more witness, sometimes boldly, just as in the First Century. As persecution intensifies, the gospel will be spread more, not less.

"Do I share my faith openly," you ask? Not openly, but guardedly. I'm not as bold as I should be nor am I as willing as I should be to be "flogged" by the state or culture for being a Christian, to be persecuted, that is. These Biblical passages goad me to be bold and accept the painful consequences of sharing my faith openly.

Q5. A passage like this is relevant to us all and has been since this was written by Luke. Christians are being persecuted now and have been throughout the centuries. It is especially applicable today as we are being browbeaten into submission to the way of the world it is a different type of persecution to how our brothers and sisters suffer in the East. I hasten to add that we do not suffer anything like as badly in the west. It is still difficult to speak to people about God because there is a pervasive indifference to the things of God. I find it difficult to even get started if I am in a group. On an individual basis it is somewhat easier. I have been told I am arrogant and self righteous even though anything I say I attempt to say with gentleness and respect. However as I get older and know Jesus better I do find it comes more naturally and I don’t care so much about what anyone thinks. 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, Krissi said:

The church will prevail, however. We more witness, sometimes boldly, just as in the First Century. As persecution intensifies, the gospel will be spread more, not less.

Krissi, I completely agree that persecution is increasing.  I also agree that as persecution increases, spreading of the gospel will increase, as well.  People who call themselves Christians (self included) will have to get off the fence and decide if they are willing to follow Christ through real suffering.  When we do that, we have a powerful witness, that is why God allows us to suffer.  That kind of witness strengthens other believers to be more bold and witnesses to unbelievers that our faith is real and true and not just something we talk about.  

Luke includes this long section about the apostles' imprisonment, trial before Sanhedrin and flogging;

I think he tries to put emphasis on perseverance. Our faith requires consistency even in difficult circumstances, apostles show this character, they continue their ministry despite the threats and flogging from Sanhedrin. Since this is among  the important themes of our faith that is why the writer spend a long section as possible that we as readers may grasp what is going on.

In my culture i thank God we have grace to share about our faith openly, as long as you follow the law procedures, you can conduct even a crusade. And the church in our country we utilize this grace as far as we can. There is no hindering at all, for this may God help us to utilize even more, because we have no excuse to preach the gospel.

Yes i do share my faith openly.

Q5. (Acts 5:17-42) Why do you think Luke includes this long section about the apostles' imprisonment, trial before the Sanhedrin, and flogging? In your culture, what does it take to keep Christians from sharing their faith openly? Do you share your faith openly?

Luke included the long section that contains the Apostles’ imprisonment, trial and flogging to bring to us several messages- persecution as prophesied by Jesus himself, the power of God at work with the apostles seen in the supernatural release from the secured prison by God and the continuation of declaration of the truth that the Jewish leaders delivered Jesus to be killed but God raised him triumphantly and exalted him on his right hand in heaven. It also shows the determination of the apostle to joyfully continue to speak for Jesus despite stiff persecution by the Jews.

Q5. (Acts 5:17-42) Why do you think Luke includes this long section about the apostles' imprisonment, trial before the Sanhedrin, and flogging? In your culture, what does it take to keep Christians from sharing their faith openly? Do you share your faith openly? 
Peter’s testimony began and ended with a reference to obeying God. The disciples are under obligation to obey Him, and by doing this, even though they may suffer when disobeying the authorities, they will be richly rewarded by the ministry of the Holy Spirit. They were ordered for the second time not to speak in the name of Jesus (5:40). We have to admire them for despite their imprisonment, the trial before the Sanhedrin, and flogging, they were rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering dishonour for the Name (5:41). They again boldly defied the authorities ban, and never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that the Christ is Jesus (5:42). They knew that must obey God rather than men. Possible causes for not sharing our faith openly can be the fear of rejection or humiliation. Maybe a feeling of not knowing enough about Scripture, or failing to trust in the Lord. Another reason could be that we are not in fellowship with Jesus. Whatever the reason, we are commanded to be bold for Jesus (Eph 6:19). Yes, when given the opportunity. I know I should be much more active in seeking the lost. 

• 5 months later...

I think the long section about the apostles’ imprisonment, trail before the Sanhedrin and flogging was because he wanted us to know that the apostles were serious about teaching about our Savior. They didn’t care what it took to teach us about God. In my culture it doesn’t take much to keep Christians from sharing their faith openly. It seems like it only takes a little harassment to accomplish this. I don’t share my faith like I should.

• 6 months later...

It show their faith and even enjoying to teach about the Christ as they  were faithful to God. It shows how much they were loyal  to Lord regardless their suffering.

In my culture some years before our fathers and elders where bitten and prisoned when they openly witness God. This days even though Arthodox Christians and Muslims dominating we got our freedom. 

There are very. Blessed brathers and sisters who are  witnessing  God in public gathering and roads. Usually they face unwelcome replies from majority but Thanks God the number believers increasing.

Personally I didn't openly talked/ witness Jesus as I should have, I'm also praying to have more courage and also to grow spiritually in a way my life could witness that 

I belong to Jesus.

• 10 months later...

Q5. (Acts 5:17-42)

Why do you think Luke includes this long section about the apostles' imprisonment, trial before the Sanhedrin, and flogging?

In your culture, what does it take to keep Christians from sharing their faith openly?

Do you share your faith openly?

We see earlier they were given boldness and declared the msg to all and sundry in Jerusalem.  Many came to believe and were added to their number.  Now they are still bold and they still declare the msg to all who will hear and suddenly they are imprisoned.  It is encouraging to hear a miracle taking place of such a nature, that they are set free.  God has not stopped performing miracles.  God is still with them in these adverse circumstances. It is an encouragement to future witnesses of Christ, that this is what can happen, and that God is still in control.  Then even with the trial , still they are bold, accept the flogging and praise God that they are considered worthy to suffer dishonor for the Name.

All this is encouragement for future generations to share our Faith openly.  

• 5 months later...