JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

"Stubbornness, hard-heartedness and resistance to God" are definitely my tendencies, though I pray and labour at changing my character. At times, by His grace, I am compliant, soft-hearted and open to His leading. 

This was a good section, Pastor Ralph. 

Are there contemporary parallels to the Jew's rejection of Stephen's arguments, not on an individual level, but within the churches or religions? I don't know much about the end times, but it's my understanding that the purpose of the seven-year period of tribulation is to give hard-hearted, resistant and stubborn Jews still another chance and perhaps the motivation to come to Christ. 

I am left with many unanswered questions:

1) Why did Stephen's face glow?

2) Why didn't God intervene to save Stephen from such a brutal death (and the rest of the apostles, for that matter)?

3) Were the members of the Sanhedrin swayed by Stephen's argument ... was there a Christian revival after his death among this population?

4) Mostly, I want to know if God still sees Jews as stiff-necked, resistant people. 

I definitely struggle with stubborness, hard-heartedness, and resistance.  I always want to do things my own way and for God to go along with it and make it all good.  This makes my life hard.  I am trying to learn to better listen to and yield to the Holy Spirit.  It does not come naturally for me.  

Q3. (Acts 4:32) Why is "having everything in common" at the root of true Christian fellowship? Of koinonia? What does this have to do with the mark of disciples who are known for deep love for one another (John 13:34-35)? To what degree does the church fall short of this? What are we going to do about it?
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/2050-q3-sharing/

The issue is that in the society, there are those who have possession in abundance while some hardly can meet their needs. This calls for Christian fellowship to consider everyone’s possession as belonging to everyone to be shared. But this is more  or less just a theory as in our congregations in Nigeria, there is quite a gap between the haves and those that don’t.

We need to copy the fellowship of the first church where the poor ones can be catered for through sharing.

Q3. I have not thought about myself as being stubborn, hard hearted, and resistant towards God! It is something I am glad has come up in our study as it makes me wonder if I am not self examining myself sufficiently! I am sure I am no less sinful than anyone else. There are times that I am busy doing things and it occurs to me that I have started this task without consulting with God , to know His will, or seek His guidance. I should know better. Is this being resistant towards God? This is not a very satisfactory answer but an honest one. I will be more aware of my actions in future and try to detect areas of stubbornness, hard hearted ness, and resistance. When I do detect these traits, I must change my attitude with the help of the Holy Spirit through prayer and petition. 

Q3. (Acts 7:51) Stephen accuses the Jewish leaders of stubbornness, hard-heartedness, and resistance to God. Have you ever noticed these tendencies in your own heart? What must you do if you see such things in yourself?

Not really. I do not see myself as stubborn, hard-hearted and resisting God. But whenever the Spirit convicts me of this, I will quickly confess, repent and change. So help Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Acts 7:51) Stephen accuses the Jewish leaders of stubbornness, hard-heartedness, and resistance to God. Have you ever noticed these tendencies in your own heart? What must you do if you see such things in yourself? 
Yes – guilty, sometimes, a rebellious and disobedient attitude to the will of God, mixed with pride, self-importance, self-centredness, and much more. By the grace of our Lord, I’ve been given a Helper (John 14:26) who I trust to remind me of God’s will when I stray from it. The Holy Spirit sets Himself against my desires of the flesh, and leads me into a life of righteousness. Thankfully with time, the works of the flesh become less obvious, and I begin to see more evidence of the fruit of the Spirit in my life (Gal 5:16-23). I know we have been commanded to “be filled with the Spirit” (Eph 5:18), which means we must submit ourselves daily to the Spirit’s control/leading, and drawing constantly on His power. This involves our desire to hear, the readiness to obey God’s Word, and the sensitivity to discern between our feelings and His promptings. Then the words of Christ will be in our mind, the love of Christ will be behind our actions, and the power of Christ will help us control our selfish desires, our stubbornness, our hard-heartedness, and our resistance to God. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q3. (Acts 7:51)

Stephen accuses the Jewish leaders of stubbornness, hard-heartedness, and resistance to God. Have you ever noticed these tendencies in your own heart?

What must you do if you see such things in yourself?

Unfortunately I do have to confess that these tendencies do appear from time to time in my heart.  When I become aware of them, I need to , as the prodigal son did, acknowledge that it is so and repent of this behaviour and then humbly ask God's forgiveness and help to lead me back into His path for me.