JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

This is just fascinating. 

So, there were a group of "Jewish sympathizers" who were culturally Jews and may have held many Jewish theological beliefs, but were not full converts, most receptive to evangelistic outreach.

It seems, then, that for some, faith in Christ may grow incrementally, that the ground of the soul was plowed and fertilized before being sown and reaped. 

(I wonder why Cornelius didn't convert to Judaism. What held him back?)

Cornelius seems like a morally good Christian before he accepted Christ; he behaved before fully believing. But he was also a searcher -- a man who prayed -- not just a generous and kind person.

(I know a few good secular people who may be Corneliuses waiting to hear the gospel, but I also know many kind and generous secular people who most definitely are not Cornelius-like, but are, instead, hostile to the point of belligerence.)

Was he more worthy of salvation, you ask? No, of course not. No one is worthy. But Cornelius was prepared and readied for living a Christian life in alignment with Christian beliefs. In our everyday parlance, a missionary would describe Cornelius as "low hanging fruit."

On 8/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Acts 10:2, 22) What do we learn about Cornelius’ character? Why do you think God chose to reveal himself to Cornelius, rather than the average pagan? Is he more worthy of salvation?

We learn that Cornelius feared God and was a devoted man of prayer. I think God chose him because of the humble character to know God more hence he spent time in prayer. No he was not more worthy of salvation, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

Q1. (Acts 10:2, 22) What do we learn about Cornelius' character?

Cornelius was a 1, Devoured man; Fears God; Gives generously to the poor; well respected by the Jewish people

Why do you think God chose to reveal himself to Cornelius, rather than the average pagan?

Given his popularity, high military and professional standing couple with a reputable character, his conversion would attract followers. All these may be the reason.

Is he more worthy of salvation?

More worthy of salvation? I believe everyone is worthy of salvation by GRACE and not just because of good works or character.

Q1. We learn that Cornelius was a literate man, at least 30 years old, he had the ability to encourage good morale and to maintain discipline. He was seeking after God, and we are told in Acts 10v2. That Cornelius and his family were devout and God fearing. He also had a reputation of being generous to the needy. He also prayed regularly. Acts 10v 22 tells that he was a righteousness man , God fearing and was respected by the Jewish people.

I think God revealed Himself to Cornelius because of his character. He was seeking God and he prayed constantly. He would be a good person to have on your side. He would get things done and yet he would do things and bring people with him. People would listen to him because they respected him. 
Cornelius was no more worthy of salvation than anyone else because we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Everyone no matter who they are must turn from sin and repent before God can forgive their sin.

Q1. (Acts 10:2, 22) What do we learn about Cornelius' character? Why do you think God chose to reveal Himself to Cornelius, rather than the average pagan? Is he more worthy of salvation? 
Devout. 
God-fearing. 
Generous. 
Prays regularly. 
Righteous. 
Respected by the Jewish people. 
I think Cornelius, must have been brought up as a typical Roman believing in the gods of Jupiter, Augustus, Venus, Mars, etc. Yet he was a Gentile who loved the God of Israel, regularly praying to Him. He was one of the Gentiles who were sympathetic to and supportive of the Jewish faith, but stopped short of becoming a full Jew in lifestyle and in circumcision. I don’t think he was the average pagan; he already had a real relationship with God, and that is why our Lord chose to reveal Himself to Cornelius. No, He does not consider Cornelius to be more worthy of salvation, for with God there is no favouritism. He loves us all irrespective of race or ethnic group. As Peter was to learn “but accepts from every nation the one who fears Him and does what is right” (10:34-35). 

• 5 months later...

We learned that Cornelius was an upright man. I think the reason that God chose to reveal himself to Cornelius was because He knew that Cornelius was an upright man. If his heart is in the right place, then he is worthy of salvation but not any more than any other person with a heart for God.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Acts 10:2, 22)

What do we learn about Cornelius' character?

Why do you think God chose to reveal Himself to Cornelius, rather than the average pagan?  Is he more worthy of salvation?

Cornelius was:  devout, God-fearing, generous (gave alms to the poor) / not tight-fisted, prayed to God regularly, righteous, accepted (well-spoken of) by the Jews.

In Luke 11:9 & 10 we read about asking, seeking, and knocking.   This will not be in vain.   Ask and it shall be given to you,   Seek and you will findKnock and it shall be opened to you.    Matthew  7:7 & 8  records the same.

Jesus promised that he who seeks Him will find Him.   He honored what He said by then revealing Himself to Cornelius. 

None are worthy.   It is all GRACE.