JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Pastor Ralph -- these are head-scratching questions ... hard ones!

Since Jesus is God, why is he dependent upon the Spirit’s anointing? 

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea that Jesus voluntarily gave up some of His divine prerogatives and attributes to be human. That's the kenotic aspect you speak of, His emptying of Himself. After putting aside His power -- is giving up His power the right way to state it? ... what exactly did He give up? -- He needed the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit to do the work He could have done had He remained wholly God. 

There's something strange about this: I don't understand it. You seem to be saying that Jesus gave up His own divinity to absorb or retake the divinity of the Holy Spirit. That's why He could do miracles, the power of the Holy Spirit's outworkings. He could have done them as Himself, as God, but chose to do miracles via the HS???

This may explain why He had to be anointed or "filled with the Holy Spirit" for His salvation mission ... as a man.

Are we dependent upon the Spirit’s empowerment in a similar way, or is it different for us?

I know that the expected answer is that we are just as, or more, dependent on the Spirit's empowerment than was Jesus, but I can't quite accept that what happened to Jesus is what should be happening to me: He's God ... I'm just little me. A huge gulf separates our relative statuses.

The HS seems to come in varying amounts according to the need or person. Maybe I got just a little bit of the HS whereas Jesus received His full anointing. But the quote you gave seems to negate this: You shall receive power when the HS comes upon you."  It doesn't say "a little bit of power" but just "power." And you get it all at once.  You receive it.  Done deal.  So it seems that we get all the HS power at once when the HS comes on us.

Is this true?

I just don't understand where I fit into this. I can do things without the HS's power. Counterfeit things. I could start a ministry just on sheer charisma and cleverness (if I were charismatic and clever, which I am not). So is the HS an "add-on" to our natural abilities, or is it true that we can do NOTHING without Him? 

And, can we ask to be anointed or is this something like the upper room scenario when unexpectedly He descends?  I want to be anointed to do a task I believe God is asking me to do.  Do I ask for this, or does it just happen? Must I wait patiently, or "in faith" move forward?

Jesus Christ was dependant upon the Spirit's annointing because He came to fulfil God's desire for humanity so He was to do everything commanded by God the Father, God is Spirit so He needed to be guided by God on this assignment for the unity of God the Father and God the Son. We are also dependant upon the Spirit's empowerment in a similar way because we should know the mind of God and walk in His will while on this Earth, Romans 12:2 And be not comformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that we may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. And this can happen through the Spirit of God.

Q4. Jesus is dependent on the Holy Spirit because He had emptied Himself of all His power in order to fully experience being human. When we become Christians we are filled with the Holy Spirit but when we need to do something particularly difficult we can ask God for a special in filling of the Holy Spirit.

Q4. (Acts 10:38) Since Jesus is God, why is He dependent upon the Spirit's anointing? Are we dependent upon the Spirit's empowerment in a similar way, or is it different for us? 
Jesus had emptied Himself “made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Philippians 2:7). Without ceasing to be God, He became a human being. Jesus limited His power and knowledge, in obedience to His Father, making Himself subject to place, time, and other human limitations. But His humanity was uniquely different in that He was free from sin. Therefore, as a human He was dependent, like us, upon the Spirit’s anointing. At Jesus' baptism, He received the Holy Spirit. God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit and power (Isa 61:1; Luke 4:18). Does this mean that we as believers likewise receive the Spirit at baptism, so that the act of anointing is equivalent to baptism? Yes, maybe, but our reference to anointing is broader. God anoints His people with the Holy Spirit (1 John 2:20; 2:27). This occurs at the time of regeneration (John 3:5), at special occasions (4:31), and when believers receive spiritual gifts (1 Cor 12:7-11). 

Q4. (Acts 10:38) Since Jesus is God, why is he dependent upon the Spirit's anointing?

Jesus is God but He emptied Himself to become man here on earth and thus had to depend on His Father and the Holy Spirit for power for His ministration here on earth then.

Are we dependent upon the Spirit's empowerment in a similar way, or is it different for us?

I always pray for and receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit power for my spiritual assignments.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 10:38)

Since Jesus is God, why is he dependent upon the Spirit's anointing?

Are we dependent upon the Spirit's empowerment in a similar way, or is it different for us?

He had emptied Himself, i.e. laid aside that part, and had come as a slave as a likeness of man.  Therefore to do the work He was called to do and had agreed to do, He needed to have the Spirit's anointing.  

If Jesus needed that empowerment, we very definately need to be empowered as well.  We sure do need the Spirit's anointing on our lives to be able to do anything He calls us to do.  

Without Him I can do nothing

Without Him I'd surely fail

Without Him I would be drifting

Like a ship without a sail