JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. King

Pastor Ralph

• 3 months later...

I think of the lion of being the king of the beasts and Judah’s descendants are the kings of this world. Jesus qualified for the promise of the ruling scepter because He lived a perfect life and He gave his life for us. Obedience is hard for us because we want to do whatever is on our heart. It is important to obey Jesus commands so that we can enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah’s descendant?

Judah's descendants will be strong and powerful.

How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter?

Ruling scepter is to come from the tribe of Judah.

Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

Obedience is hard because it requires humility and submission unto Jesus.

What does the image of the Lion tell me about the descendant of Judah? It tells me that He is mighty above all, as the lion is mightiest in all his kingdom. He is powerful and there is none that can stand against Him.  The King of Judah is a mighty Ruler!!

How does He qualify for the Promise of the Ruling Scepter?  Because he is the Mighty Ruler, He has the power to pass judgement.  This is the symbolism of the power He has, to rule not only over Israel,  but to rule over all the Nations.

Why is obedience hard for me? Because I want control, as liken unto a young child I still want to do things my way.  My way is better because it’s faster.  When I am disobedient, I am not being submissive to God and His word. I am lacking in humility, telling God I am better than Him and my ways are better.

Why is Obedience important for me? All throughout the word, disobedience produces death and destruction .  From the beginning with Adam and Eve and through out the word disobedience has caused heartache and Death. The Lord God wants us to be obedient because it is His protection to give us life.  Not only life on this earth, but eternal life.

Even today, Israel uses the lion as a symbol for strength and unity. You can see it on official buildings and stationery, as well as Torah decorations. It symbolizes the kingly leadership of the tribe of Judah, which today means all Jews. It's both a this-worldly and next-worldly symbol, that the kingship of Israel would continue to be drawn from this subset of Israelites, and that the future king -- Jesus -- would also reign in heaven.

Jesus is from the tribe of Judah, a lineal descendent of Jacob's fourth son. But there were many Judeans, so Jesus stands apart as a spiritual ruler or king of our hearts until the parousia.

Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

Oh please. Obedience often runs against our human nature, desire and will. It's not obedience if it's easy, but just another task, but when the Holy Spirit prompts me to do that which I would rather not do, giving up my will is difficult. Obedience is the steps on the rising stairwell toward sanctification. I obey, or try to, because I know that I'll never get close to Him any other way. Furthermore, negatively stated, if I don't obey, there's a gap between me and God that remains until I confess and change my ways and thoughts.

Interestingly -- at least to me -- obedience is the opposite of kingship or lion-ness, for when I obey, I cede ruling power to Jesus.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 3 (Genesis 49:10)    What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah’s descendant? How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter? Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

Strong and powerful...Leading

Tribe of Judah...He is the son of God.

It is hard for us because Satan prowls around we fight between good and evil that is why we must stay in the Bible.

It is important, God wants and needs us to be obedient, he can't Bless us unless we are.

The image of the lion tells us that Judah's lineage are powerful people that you don't want to mess with. Strong leaders.

Jesus qualifies for the scepter because he is the one mentioned as the future leader. A man of God.

It is hard for us to obey because of the world we live in and our flesh. We are born into a sinful world and it is very hard to dot every "i" and cross every "t". 

But it is very important for us to try and obey his words. First we must believe, have faith, read his word, and build a relationship with Him. When we do something that isn't right, you feel it in your soul. You end up apologizing and asking for forgiveness. We need to do this to be in Heaven.

Q1.Judah’s tribe is powerful and strong and therefore described as the Lion of Judah.

Q2. Jesus is the Son of God and therefore qualify’s to gain the ruling sceptre. He was also a descendant of the line of Judah and prophecy speaks of His coming. Genesis 49v10.

Q3.Obedience is hard for us because we are full of pride, we want to be in control and do what we want to do.

Q4. Obedience is important for us because if we want to follow Jesus we must be humble and submit to God. He is in control of all things and knows what is best for us. 

Q3. (Genesis 49:10) What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah's descendant? How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling sceptre? Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us? 
Judah is a lion’s whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? Genesis 49:9 (KJV). Initially Judah’s descendants are spoken of as “a lion’s whelp” for his strength and courage. Referring to a young Judah going up against the Canaanites and overcoming them. Then as “an old lion”, one that has grown up. Referring to king David as one who has subdued the nations round him with his royalty, courage, valour, and conquests. This leadership prophecy took some 640 years to fulfil in part with the reign of David, first of Judah’s dynasty of kings. Finally, “who shall rouse Him up”. Referring to a lion in its full strength, at its fiercest, and the most dangerous to rouse up when laid down. All this may be applied to Christ, the Messiah and son of David, the lion of the tribe of Judah (Rev 5:5); the lion being the king of beasts, and the strongest among them, denotes the kingly power and authority of Christ, His great strength as the mighty God and mighty Saviour, His courage in engaging with all the powers of darkness, and valour in vanquishing all Hos enemies. This prophecy took some 1600 years to completely fulfil in Jesus. The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a staff from between His feet refers to the ruling position Judah will have and that the eventual kings of Israel would come from Judah and that the Messiah, God’s ultimate leader, would eventually come from the tribe of Judah. We find it so hard to obey others, especially someone in a position of authority. There are various reasons for disobedience to enter our hearts. This can be the result of pride and arrogance. Or we don’t obey because of our greed and **** as shown by Eve (Gen 3:6). It can be the result of fear, impatience, unbelief, lack of love, or even rebelling against our Lord. It is important for us to obey our Heavenly Father, since failure to obey Him leads to punishment. If we are not willing to bow the knee to Him now, then one day we will be compelled to do so (Phil 2:10). Believers that are in a loving relationship with our Lord Jesus, willingly keep His Word, and have a loving desire to do His will. 

Day 3 (Genesis 49:10)    What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah’s descendant? How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter? Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

1. a. It tells us that Judah's descendant will be strong, powerful, overcoming and triumphant.

b. Jesus qualifies for the promise of the ruling scepter as he is the Son of God, Deliverer of Mankind, King of King and Lord of Lords.

c.  Obedience is so hard for us, as we have our human nature and we have the ability to chose and unless Jesus is totally Lord over our lives we can chose disobedience,  it is a struggle.

d. It is so important for us, because that is how we grow in God.  Disobedience gets us  no where.    

Q3. (Genesis 49:10) What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah's descendant?

The way Hanks has taken the image from the "whelp" right through describing the various stages and how they are described throughout the Word is excellently explained. Now we await the final return of the "Lion of Judah, in all His might"

Jesus as the Son of Man comes from the tribe of Judah. He is the King that will return as King of kings and Lord of lords and will reign forevermore. 

Why is obedience so hard for us?

We find it hard to submit to another. Our opinions might vary. I guess it's mainly stubbornness that makes it hard to bend and submit. 

Why is it so important for us?

It is important to work under or submit to a leader so that there is unity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Genesis 49:10) What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah's descendant?

It tells us that out of Judah will come someone with Authority and power. This was fulfilled through the Lord Jesus Christ.

He qualified by his obedience to the Father to come and die for all mankind and rise to come back and rule over all creation.

We as descendants of Adam, find it hard to obey totally.  

Why is it so important for us?

But it is important for us to obey the king of kings for us to reign with him. We can do this only through full submission to the Holy Spirit to enable us obey.

• 11 months later...

Q3. (Genesis 49:10) What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah's descendant? How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter? Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

A lion is the king of the jungle so would Judah’s descendants be kings and rulers of Judah and of the world through the Lord Jesus.

Obedience is usually hard but is essential for reward and for the promised salvation for life eternal.

Day 3 (Genesis 49:10)    What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah’s descendant? How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter? Why is obedience so hard for us? Why is it so important for us?

Judah's descendants was strong, overcoming, and powerful.

Jesus was obedient to God, mentioned as the coming saver, and he died for the world to be saved.

We are in the flesh and the flesh was to rule us. 

We must give God reverence and obey so that we will be able to have eternal life. We obey with the love of God helping others. 

What does the image of the lion tell us about Judah's descendant?

The fierce representation of the tribe of Judah among all other tribes.

Through His line of Judea and was sacrificially given to Him at birth.  It signifies his future death.

Obedience is so hard for us because it demands loyalty to God and  God representatives on Earth.

Why is it so important to us?

By being obedient we become of service to others,

• 11 months later...

It tells us that Judah's descendant will be strong, powerful, overcoming and triumphant.

Jesus qualifies for the promise of the ruling scepter as he is the Holy Son of God being obedient unto death that He might save many.  He was the Deliverer of Mankind, King of King and Lord of Lords.

Obedience is so hard for us, as we have our human nature and we have the ability to chose and unless Jesus is totally Lord over our lives we can chose disobedience,  it is a struggle.

It is so important for us, because that is how we grow in God. When we obey, we are blessed.  When we disobey we cannot grow in God.  Disobedience gets us  no where.    

Judah was powerful and a force to be reckoned with. 
Jesus qualified for the promise of the ruling scepter because He was of the house and lineage of David

Obedience is hard for us because it requires humility and submission and we as humans have a problem with both.

Obedience is so important to us because God requires it and it we are to grow in God we must be obedient to Him.  If we fail to obey then we are none of His.  The Bible tells us that obedience is better than sacrifice.  Jesus obey God even unto death and we to must be obedient.

Response: The image of Lion depicts a strong and kingly tribe that will always be in power and authority. 

Response: Jesus is of linage of David from the tribe of Judah. He has no sin and came to reconcile man to God. He has the authority and dominion over every created thing. At the mention of His Name “ every knee must bow ….. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of Hod the Father” Phil 2:10. 

Response: Obedience is hard for us because it requires humility, submission and acknowledgement of another’s lordship.

Why is it so important for us?

Response: It is important to us because we have to acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus Christ in order to become sons of God. 

1. What does the image of a lion tell us about Judah's descendant?
    • The lion is considered as the king of the jungle, therefore, so the image of the lion here depicts the all powerful nature, strong invincible, fearless fighter and ruling over all
  2. How does Jesus qualify for the promise of the ruling scepter?
    • I believe the staff is a symbol of sovereignty and authority, so Jesus qualifies because he is the King of Kings referred to in the scripture quoted in the text Philippians 2:10-11
    • He qualifies because he managed to conquer all. In particular I am reminded of his victory over sin as well as the nature of bringing lost sheep to the fold. A passage that comes to mind is where Paul describes the struggle to do good but sin appears to prevail (Romans 7:15-25). In the last verse I think, there is an acknowledgement that only through Jesus can one win this battel between desires of the flesh and what is right 
  3. Why is obedience so hard for us?
    • Uhm obedience is hard mainly because of lack of faith or trust. Very often we want to be in charge and rely on our abilities, which unfortunately are limited. In difficult circumstances I tend to forget God's promises of Fear not I am with you.  
  4. Why is it so important for us?
    • Obedience is important because in obeying you surrender all and not have to worry. When we obey we are assured of Devine protection