JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q21. Anna

Pastor Ralph

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q21. Anna
  • 3 months later...

It is hard to value our time in meditation and prayer because we have so much more on our minds and we start thinking about other things. I think that the Lord values the whole day and not just certain times of the day. Anna listening to the Lord propelled her because she was able to tell other people what the Lord is doing.

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38) Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer.  There is a constant competition of worldly things coming into your mind. I think we have to put that in our prayers to be thankful for the time we can spend with the Lord, even if it is only for a few minutes each morning. 

Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?  I don't know that he values any time of day over another but I feel like the morning is good to set your day up with the Lord and the evening is good to reflect on what occurred during your day. 

How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry? Her listening was what prepared her seeing the baby Jesus and that speaks volumes about how listening can do the same for us. We can see and take hold of the opportunities that God gives us to show the Kingdom of God here on earth with our service, love and standing for what is right and true. 

Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer? Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?  How does listening to the Lord propel Anna’s ministry?

I value prayer time, but perhaps not enough. My mind often wanders as I pray, think and study.  Writing helps me channel my thoughts so I scribble during my devotions. I do not think writing is conducive to prayer, as my scribbling gets in the way of focusing solely on Him.  Sometimes my writing ABOUT Him seems more important to me than writing TO Him. This is sin.

God values all time, as Old Jerry wrote above, but Jesus did seem to rise early in the morning to start the day with prayer, and subsequent generations of Christians have done the same. I do this. I arise before the hubbub begins, before most people have left for work, and the first thing I do (after checking my email) is my devotions, including these wonderful studies by Pastor Ralph.

Anyone who listens as intently as Anna will be close to the Lord. I pray to hear His voice as she did. Lord, give me ears to hear You!

On 8/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38)  Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer? Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?  How does listening to the Lord propel Anna’s ministry?

1.  a. We get too busy and too distracted, we don't want to look at our inward condition, we want to be entertained (easy, lazy), we waste time, we are just concerned with ourselves, we are not totally committed.  Before the world devices and all its gadgets, I believe Christians spent more time in meditation and prayer.  Its time to shut those things off, the news, entertainment, face book, etc.  Spending time with the Lord always brings good results, benefits and we can't out-give God. I don't know why we don't do it more often.  He is a 24 hr. God and He loves us.  The devil hates us and always tries to distract us with things and taking our mind off the Lord and how great He is.

b.  I think the Lord values the time in the morning when you are refreshed.  The enemy puts wrong thoughts in your mind and you have to fight them with the Word and the Lord gives you the victory over them.  You thank Him for another day and His mercy.  At night, I wait too long and I am wasted.  

c.  Because Anna listens to the Lord, she knows exactly what to do, where to be and what to say.  Being in tune with the Lord, she knows what He is doing.  Just as Jesus was in tune with the Lord, spending time in prayer and only did what the Father was doing and saying. We too, being totally committed and spending time with the Lord and hearing will know what to do and say. 

Q1.Satan is the Father of lies and one of his ploys  is to constantly distract us from spending time in the Lord’s presence. If we listen to him our time will be busy with worldly unimportant things. Sometimes this can be difficult because the distractions can be perfectly valid jobs which need to be done but must not eat into our time with God. We have to be very aware of what Satan is up to and be disciplined to say “no”! A typical example is getting up in the am, I feel like staying in bed but if I do I won’t have time to be with the Lord. There is a battle going on Satan saying “ your tired, why not stay in bed”. The Lord is calling to me saying “ don’t forget beloved child, we have a divine appointment “.

Q2. I am sure the Lord will welcome us at any time of day or night. I try and spend time with God in the morning. I find if I leave it until the evening I am tired and easily distracted. I can also fall asleep while praying.

Q3.Anna was a prophetess, she spent her time listening to God and then telling people she met in the temple what God had directed her to say. Anna is a good example for us to follow to listen to hear God speaking to us. This is another reason to spend time in God’s presence, away from distractions, to give ourselves the opportunity to be able to hear what God is saying to us.

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38) Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer.

Many of us are too preoccupied with worldly activities that we do not create quality time for and with the Lord in prayer and study of the Word.

Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?

The first early hours of the day before the rush-rush noise and “busy-busy” activities engulf us.

How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry?

So many things call our attention away from meditation and prayer. In family life, our spouse and children may not understand how much time we may feel we need to spend doing so. Sometimes we may have days when we feel we didn’t get as much out of the time spent as we had hoped. Sometimes God feels far away when we long for Him to be close. Satan discourages us too. He doesn’t want us to live victoriously. I sometimes have to remind myself that I must press on. Spending time alone with the Lord in prayer and meditation of the Word is the only way we can abide in Him.

I’m sure that He values our devotional time more than other activities. He told Mary that “she had chosen the better part.” For some people it may be very difficult because of all their responsibilities. I like to think of Susanna Wesley who was so busy with so many children in the 1700’s that for her prayer time she covered her head with her apron! Something I have just learned to do myself is to commune with the Lord when I turn the light off and lay my head on the pillow. I now look forward to that time.

Because Anna listened intently, it enabled her the opportunity to share her experience with others of like mind who were also waiting for Israel’s deliverance.

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38) Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer. Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most? How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry? 
Mostly, we are so busy, there is not much time for meditation and prayers, and if we do, it’s done in such a rush, and this only to calm our guilt feelings. Almost like a courtesy call to our Lord. I know this, because when younger, this was exactly what I did. Never realising what a blessing, and privilege it is to spend time with our Heavenly Father. He is never too busy to listen, always available 24/7, always answers prayer, yes always, but of course not always in the way we would like. I suppose our Lord values equally all our times we spend with Him. But for us it would be most valuable to spend our time early in the morning before the start of our day. It will prepare us for the day ahead, strengthen us, shield us against any evil attack, as we go together with Him into this wicked world. This cannot be rushed, we need to meditate on His Word, besides praying we need to listen. Not much is written about Anna, but from the 3 verses in Luke’s gospel, we know that when she encounters the infant Jesus in the temple, we see that her life is indeed overflowing with favour and grace. Having devoted the majority of her life to servicing God her devotion was rewarded with an encounter with her Saviour. Her many years of sacrifice and service were worth it all when she beheld the Messiah, the One for whom she had waited so long. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38)  Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer? Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?  How does listening to the Lord propel Anna’s ministry?

I think we don't value meditation and prayer because we let the world pull us into so many other directions we are running and running.

I think he values all times but for me the morning is the most peaceful, when the day is anew and quiet.

The Lord guides her and gives her direction.

I believe we are not as obedient as Anna. She devoted her life to God by praising, worshipping, singing, fasting, and listening to God. Some of us are too busy with working, taking care of family, etc. The way of life on earth takes most of our time. But this is something all of us need to do and is expected of us.

It doesn't matter what time of day to give God our time. For some, the morning is better and for others it could a good time to wind down at night after the kids are asleep. During that quiet time.

Anna listened to God and he directed/guided her to carry out his plans of prophesying to others.

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38) Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer. Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most? How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry?

We seem to think it is important to stay busy. If we are not seen to be busy the stigma comes, they're lazy. Meanwhile calming down, reading the Word and talking to the Lord is the best BUSY there can be. If in our work we include the Lord and continue talking with Him, I think He is there at all times, ready to listen and answer our prayers in His way. Motivating us, guiding us. So I think if we include Him in our 'busy time' and in our quiet time. He values being part of our lives. 

I find it hard to value my time spent in meditation and prayer because of the distractions in my life , or should I say the distractions I allow in my life.  There are so many negative things going on in the world and within my own family and myself that I allow them to overwhelm me instead of surrendering them all including myself to the Lord and focusing on Him in prayer, praise and thanksgiving .  My prayer for me is Lord please give me a fire for prayer.

I think the Lord values all day, but first thing in the morning benefits us to be with him.  To start the day cleansed and prayed up.  Knowing that we have offered our prayers up to the Lord for all those we love and deeply care about and surrendered them up for the day leaving them in God’s hands. Scripture states pray without ceasing so communication with God through out the day is a habit we should seek, But we can rest peacefully knowing that through early communication with the Lord, our day and the days of those we pray for, and circumstances, have already been covered.

Anna’s listening propels her ministry for she knows it’s the Lord and she is ready to obey.  

• 2 weeks later...

Q21. Why is it so hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer 

We had a lot in our minds that takes our time , causing  us to have less time in prayer and meditation

Which is the time of our day that we think the Lord values the most?

Anytime is valuable,  but in the early morning we are fresh and we are able to think clearly and more likely to hear the Lord cause our minds are not cluttered with day's issues

How does listening to God propels Anna's  ministry?

Anna spend her time in the temple inquiring of the Lord , and being devoted in Him , which made her yield yo the voice of God 

Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer?

It is hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer because we are so busy with our daily activities.  The devil is good at distracting us with other things when we try to meditate and pray.

I think the Lord value most anytime you mediate and/or pray and consecrate strictly on him.

How does listening to the Lord propel Anna’s ministry?

By listening to the Lord, Anna's ministry is guided by what he is saying and she is able to relay that to others.

• 11 months later...

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38) Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer?

We are crowded by so much around us – our work, idling and chatting with friends and engaging on the social media etc. but have no time for mediation and prayer. I personally need to have more listening to God through his written Word and covet to be able to hear him talk audibly directly to me.

I believe the Lord values our early hours of the day when there is less noise and activities. Jesus used to choose the early hours of the day to go out where and when there was no distraction in order to meet with Father.

How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry?

Anna listened thus she could hear God tell her about baby Jesus being in the temple at the precise time and place. Help me to listen and hear you clearly frequently Lord.

• 1 year later...

It is hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer because we are blinded by the world and the things of the world.  The world dictates that we are to be in a hurry and desire instant gratification while the Bible teaches us to wait on the Lord and be of good courage while we wait.

I think the Lord values our quite time spend in prayer, meditation, and the study of the Word most, whether it be in the still of the morning, at noon day, or in the midnight hour..  They time we spend in listening to God and hearing from God prepares us to be faithful servants of God.

Listening to the Lord propels Anna's ministry because it prepares and equips her for ministry..  When one listens to God and spend time with God He not only directs their path but speaks through them as He did with Anna,

• 3 weeks later...

Q21. (Luke 2:36-38)

• Why is it hard for us to value the time we spend in meditation and prayer?
    • Because we are overwhelmed by what is around us that appears more important and thus take precedence over time spent in prayer and meditation
  • Which of the times of our day do you think the Lord values most?
    • I think anytime is important to him, however I was brought up to think prayers are most important when you wake up in the morning and just before bed
  • How does listening to the Lord propel Anna's ministry?
    • Because Anna listened to the Lord she was able to be in the temple and recognised the holy family when they came in. she was also able to speak what the spirit wanted her to speak and witnessed about the child to other believing people who are present