JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q22. Magi

Pastor Ralph

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q22. Magi
  • 2 months later...

Q1.There is no place for self determination in God’s Kingdom. If we accept Jesus into our lives we bow our knees and in humility give our hearts and lives to Him. A big part of this is obedience to Him, a willingness to live our lives in a fashion becoming to a follower of Jesus. This includes doing things that Jesus asks us to do even when we don’t particularly want to. 
Q2. Our choices are to follow Jesus and obey Him and reap the rewards in the next world. Our biggest reward being to spend eternity in God’s presence. Or we can choose to determine our own lives, live as we see fit and reap the rewards of a life spent like that. Our reward will be eternal damnation.

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination?  We want to be in control of our lives so anything or anyone that might effect our having control would be a threat. It is understanding our place in the universe and God's place in the universe that will help set us straight on who is really in control and bring us to the humility that is needed.  

What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?  He has given us free will and the choices are straightforward;  trusting Him or trusting ourselves. I chose Him!

In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

Every day I think I'm making decisions to be like Him. In a way, this is my determination -- I will to be like Him.  Yes, the Holy Spirit prompts and enables me, so even my desire to be like Him is really not mine, but it feels like I'm making a choice. My mind goes through the rational and emotional steps of making a choice. 

What the kingship of Jesus demands is a conscious choice to do and think in ways contrary to my desire. It is submission.  Conscious and thoughtful submission. 

Submission isn't contrary to self-determination, so I think the dichotomy posed in the question may not be helpful. I, as a conscious self, determine to follow Jesus.  I can determine to NOT follow Him, too. I think what you're saying is that the determination to follow Jesus means that other priorities and/or determinations have to be submitted.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

1.  a. The kingship of Jesus is a threat to our self-determination because, as Dr. Wilson states, there is in us, an independent streak. We want to be in charge. We don't want someone telling us what to do.

b.  The choices in light of his Kingdom is to spend time with Him, hearing His voice and  be in submission to Him, be willing to let Him have His way.  Not be stubborn or hard hearted.  Knowing that we need Him every day, moment by moment. 

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of His Kingdom? 
The sooner we realise “that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Php 2:10-11), the better for us. Whether we like it or not Jesus Christ is Lord of our life. This demands obedience to the commands of God. Of course, even as believers this cannot be done in our own strength since we are still prone to sinful conduct and thoughts. We need the help of the Holy Spirit. We now live a life that is submissive to Christ. No more do we live as spoilt brats always wanting our way in everything. We start thinking about others rather than solely about ourselves. In His second advent, Jesus Christ will come with power as the Conquering King, as the King of kings, and as the Lord of lords, and every knee shall bow and every tongue shall swear allegiance. God’s desire is that none should perish, but that all should repent and inherit eternal life as His children (John 3:16; 1:12). We set our minds on God’s eternal kingdom, not on earthly things, for we have died and our lives are hidden with Christ in God. As believers in Jesus, we are subjects of Christ’s kingdom – we are citizens of heaven. This world is not our home, and we owe our highest allegiance to our ultimate authority – our Lord and King Jesus Christ. 

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

We generally want to be free to decide what to do and where to go and thus do not want to be under anyone, even the Lord Jesus. As for me I pray that the Holy Spirit will help me to be totally submissive to the Kingship of the Lord Jesus Christ. Give me a willing and obedient spirit Lord.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

We so want to do things our way, they way we think is right the way the world tells us, that we don't listen to what Jesus is saying.

The Lord gives us choices everyday, it is up to us to remain close to him to know the right choice.

We forget and put ourselves in charge of our life. We set goals and make plans to accomplish them without God's approval. He may want you to go in a different direction that glorifies him instead.

Our choice is to let go and let God. Meaning, we should ask God's guidance for our future plans for everything. Not take it upon ourselves to decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

When we accept Jesus as ruler in our lives we supposedly give Him authority over everything. Self is no longer in charge. If it is it has usurped a place. Lay down self is the only way into His Kingdom. There cannot be two rulers. 

We need to choose Christ or self. Best choice of course is CHRIST. 

I think we are created to make the choice to be independent apart from him.  The Lord wants us to choose him, to be dependent on Him.  I can go into the wrong direction if I being self directed.  Accepting his kingship over my life gives him charge over whatever decisions I need to make. By choosing to be dependent on Him I’m choosing to walk with Him, Obey Him and make Him king of my life.  Whatever accomplishments I attain will not be due to something I did due to determination, to be proud of,  but because I was determined to trust the Lord, make him King over my life and acknowledge only through his power and blessing I am who I am not of anything I did.

• 11 months later...

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6) In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination? What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?

We always want to be independent where we take all the decisions and thus try to resist being controlled. But for me, I pray that Holy Spirit will help to be fully submissive to the King Jesus.

• 1 year later...

The kingship of Jesus is a threat to our self-determination because as humans we want to be in control, do as we please and chart the course of our own like, so we think.  But in light of His Kingdom we must yield our will to His will, be obedient to his commandment, and acknowledge Him in all our ways that He might direct our paths/  Anything less  is hypocrisy.

• 3 weeks later...

Q22. (Matthew 2:1-6)

• In what ways is the kingship of Jesus a threat to our self-determination?
    • We want to be in charge of our lives and do not want someone telling us what to do. As a result we resit the Kingship of Jesus
  • What are our choices in light of his Kingdom?
    • Accept Jesus as Lord and saviour and allow Him to lead us all the way. We must be willingness to acknowledge Him as the Lord and King of our lives.