JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q26. Boyhood

Pastor Ralph

• 3 months later...

I think that Dr. Luke is continuing the story of the miraculous birth up until Jesus’ manhood to set the stage for the true purpose of His coming. He tells about the prediction of His coming, His lineage that qualifies Him as the root of Jesse(chapter 3), His dedicated upbringing by righteous parents, His devotion to the scriptures and to God, all of which speaks of His humanity.

We learn that because He grew up as other humans, He can relate to our frailties. He also shows us the value of raising our children to submit to God, to love him, and worship him. This is our God-given duty as parents. We can see from our study today that As a young boy Jesus grew in all aspects step by step, year by year into maturity. He was looked upon with favor by those who knew Him. 

We also should follow this example in our Christian growth and maturity so that we can serve God in whatever path He has set for us. Sometimes it’s hard for us to be patient because we don’t see the value in waiting. Our timetable is often different than God’s. We may not realize there are areas in our spiritual life that need to be refined. God sees our heart and knows what we really need to help us grow closer to Him and to please Him. 

I think that Luke felt it was important to tell a story from Jesus’ boyhood because he wanted us to see that Jesus was a man and had to learn like we have to. We learned that Jesus needed to be in the Lord’s house. Jesus needed to learn from the scholars so he could pass on the word.

We need to grow and prepare so that we can be confidant is what we are saying. The more that we learn the more we will be able to pass over to others.

We are tempted to short-circuit it because we want to get out there and tell others what we have learned.

It is good to show Jesus' childhood. It gives the insight of the Son of God doing what his Father wants him to do. Also, he has the wisdom but He must learn first.

The lesson from His childhood is that we need to prepare and study prior to pursuing our passions/goals/gifts. If not, we will fail. It is best to be obedient.

As people, we tend to want a fast fix. Like making money fast or just so excited in finding out what our calling is and trying to hurry up and get it done before we plan it out, especially including the ups and downs. That is very necessary.

Q1.Luke’s story about Jesus childhood shows that Jesus was in some ways like all other children and yet in other ways was very different. Jesus had to grow develop and learn like other children while at the same time He had understanding about Scripture  beyond His years. He was offhand about the upset He would cause His parents when they realised He was not among the family on their way home. Jesus felt the great need even at twelve to be preparing for His own ministry in the future.Part of the training for that work was that He was obedient to His earthly parents .I think Luke was showing up that Jesus was a child but also that this child was also very special and different because He was the Son of God.

Q2.We learn that Jesus was a child like any other child,He had to learn , and grow and develop like any other child. He also had to learn to be obedient to His parents.  At an early age we see that He was already occupied with learning all He could from the Jewish scholars and teachers, and He had an understanding way beyond His years. We learn He was a serious young man that was taking His calling or mission seriously, despite all the hardships of being ‘without sin’ in a sinful world.

Q3.No matter what the project or job, preparation is vital for a successful completion. There are different aspects to be considered eg finance, is there sufficient money available to complete the jobs, will I be able to support myself while I do this unpaid work. Etc. Skills: Do I need skills that I don’t have just now, do I need to learn a new skill? Maybe I need a new language which will take time to learn but may be essential for the success of my mission. To ensure the success of the mission or project it can sometimes take a few years to fully train. However this training is essential.

Q4.Sometimes we can be impatient to get on with the job and don’t realise the importance of training and knowing all we can about the job in hand. Ignorance can be another factor, just not being aware of everything that could go wrong, or the way situations need to be handled. Satan would love us to embark on a mission or project with little or no preparation for what is ahead. This would more than likely end in failure.

Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus’ boyhood.

I find it interesting that Luke tells so little about Jesus' childhood. We don't have much of a sense of what he was like except for a couple sketchy anecdotes.  Still, we know he grew up "fully human," and perhaps this was Luke intention -- to confirm Jesus' humanity.

What do we learn about Jesus  from this?

Jesus was a spiritually precocious child.

Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important? Why are we tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?

Life is short!!! It's hard to prepare and take time when the clock seems to be ticking. Short-circuiting makes sense if it would only work.  Yes, I'm an impatient person, but spiritual maturity does seem to take a very long time.

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52) Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus' boyhood. What do we learn about Jesus from this? Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important? Why are we so tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience? 
To show us His humanity. That as a child He was subject to the same growth that we experience. Like us, there is time needed for Him to grow in knowledge, strength, and character. He had to go through the same progression we do, so as to develop fully physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually. Growth takes time. We often short-circuit this process by being in such a rush to get on with life. So, it is with our spiritual growth. We need our Heavenly Father to be with us, training us, parenting us, helping us, as we grow in Him. I often find myself foolishly not reading an instruction manual properly, being in such a hurry to use the new item I just bought. Only to later find out new features I had missed or even that I have not been using it properly. How stupid, I realise I must learn to be more patient. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52) Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus’ boyhood. What do we learn about Jesus  from this? Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important? Why are we tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?

1.  a.  Just to show us how he grew up as a human and had to learn like we do, growing from a child to an adult, obeying His parents and submitting to them, as an example for us and learning from teachers and asking them questions as we do to grow in our Christian walk.

b.  He was intent in learning more about His Father, therefore He was drawn to the Temple to learn from the teachers and to ask them questions, getting wisdom and understanding and preparing for His ministry of Teaching God's Word in the future. 

c.  Taking time to grow and prepare is important because we have to know God's Word before we can teach it.  When we get saved we get so excited we want to tell everybody but we have to be an example, sometimes the Lord has to clean us up and teach us some things before we do.   As you prepare and grow the Holy Spirit gives you insight and wisdom in the things of God.

d.  We are tempted to short circuit because maybe we don't have the time and think we can do it without preparing but mostly depending on the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you will have good results.

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52) Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus' boyhood.

To give us something to learn from his child hood experience. Though being God, he empty himself of his divinity. He had to learn obedience to his parents etc

What do we learn about Jesus  from this?

We need wisdom, grace, favour from God so that we can grow and minister for the Lord and in obedience to our parents and authorityi.

Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important?

So that we can get it right.

Why are we so tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?

We need quick result. But this does not actually leads us to satisfactory sustainable result.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Luke wants me to see that the spiritual walk is not a overnight process, but that it comes in stages.  That patience is part of the process.  He had to wait and go through this arduous  process before becoming what the father intended,  It was necessary, it was clear to Jesus.  
We learn that Jesus grew in stages, even though he was God he never lost sight of his responsibility to be obedient and respectful to his earthly parents.

The reason it is important to take time to grow is to prevent me from making a mistake.  To make sure I am where I  should be with God before I start sharing with others about him.  I need His Grace to grow, to realize my spiritual strengths, to learn His word, then and only then will I be ready to venture out in whatever ministry God is leading me into. 
Maybe I am not as connected to the Lord as I should be.  I have not listened, to him and his directions, I have listened to others who drew me into areas of my walk that may have hindered me.  

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52) Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus' boyhood.

I think it is important so that we can see he was truly human. He also had to learn and become older and more able, gradually. It wasn't just at a blink of an eye that He was strong and mature and able to do things or decide things as a mature man does and be responsible. He had to grow into that role gradually. 

From this we learn that He too had to submit to those in authority over Him (at this time, it was His earthly parents). He was keen to be with those in the temple. Just as a human loses track of time and does what fills him with interest, so we too find Jesus there where His main interest lies. Those who teach about God. When Joseph and Mary came, Jesus went back with them, under their authority still. He was obedient and not stubborn. He submitted to them. We learn from Him that He needed to grow in wisdom (spiritual insight), in stature (in physical size), in favour with God and man. 

We too need to learn what it is like to submit to another before we can expect another to submit to us. Before we do something we too need to learn about that. 

We get impatient because we want to get involved with what and where we feel we need to be working. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q.26 Why do you think Luke felt important to tell a story from Jesus boyhood?

So that we get understanding  of how Jesus grew up , lbeing raised in a normal family being taught by His parents  and Him paying respect

What do we learn about Jesus  about this? Him being full God was raised like a normal human being , being taught as He grew up like all other children , learning about religion , respect and being obedient to adults.

Why is taking time to prepare and grow so important?

It is in the time of preparation  that you grow to maturity  and get to understand what is expected  of you

Why are we tempted to short circuit  it by our impatience?

We don't want to wait and we want things to happen the way we want them and in our own time

• 1 month later...

Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus’ boyhood. What do we learn about Jesus  from this?

The story of Jesus boyhood was important because it shows us that he was human.  He had to learn like the rest of us, however he was gifted wisdom and the grace of God was upon him.

Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important? Why are we tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?

It is important for us to take time to grow so that God can work on things in our lives.  So that we can find our spiritual gifts, to learn his word and do ministry work.

• 9 months later...

Luke felt that it was important to tell Jesus boyhood’s story to the whole word that we may know and learn lessons as parents and as children. As parents, there is the need to keep an eye on our young children to ensure we know where they are at all times. As for children, they need to learn at the feet of their spiritual teachers and ask appropriate questions to enhance their knowledge of God the Father. Furthermore, he wanted children to learn from boy Jesus, obedience to their parents as young Jesus did.

I have already answer this above, he had the thirst to know more about God and thus committed himself all day in temple listening and asking questions that would enhance his knowledge. Furthermore, he was obedient to his parents.

So that one would properly nurtured and ready to live right and be able to teach well.

I think laziness is one of the reasons.

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52) Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus’ boyhood. What do we learn about Jesus  from this? Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important? Why are we tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?

To allow us to see what he did as a child. Luke was letting us know that Jesus was a child just like we were and he was gifted with grace, also.

We must be obedient,.

We need to be spiritual and learn as we grow.

We must realize that we can not obey the flesh by being impatient. Being impatient is not of God.

• 1 year later...

Q26. (Luke 2:39-52)

• Why do you think Luke feels it is important to tell a story from Jesus' boyhood.
    • I think Luke wants us to appreciate the human nature of Jesus, to show that he was brought up in a normal environment at that time with other children of his time. So he was truly human
  • What do we learn about Jesus  from this?
    • Jesus was keen to fulfill his calling, hence this urge to be in His father's house and absorb as much knowledge as he could
    • Like every other child he had to obey his parents and wait for God's time in whatever we do. 
    • However sometimes I think his answer to his mother was rather short/rude to a parent (- point for discussion)
  • Why is taking time to grow and prepare so important?
    • Preparation is always important. I have learnt in my time that not planning is planning to fail. As one grows they become more mature and this more likely to act in an objective manner and understand issues more clearly 
  • Why are we so tempted to short-circuit it by our impatience?
    • We are impatient, I think sometimes we are too full of ourselves thinking we know it all