JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Ravens

• 2 weeks later...

In my culture there is a thinking that crows (family of ravens) are bringers of bad luck. That to see them suddenly means something bad is about to happen. But the population of crows in my country has only increased so its easy to see them around. Anyways, crows are something that you wouldn't want to see first thing in the morning if you know what I mean.

Crows or ravens are God's creature. God can make or use the bad or negative stuff of the world to use it for our good. But how do we recognize that? If God wants to provide for us does it really matters HOW He does it? To me it does not matter anymore. God so loved us that he can provide for us even in the most "undesirable" way according to our thinking and we need to be like Elijah to accept it. We need the eyes of faith to see like Elijah that God's blessings and providence in whatever situation is really from God Himself. It does not matter the situation or the how but He provides no matter what!

Secondly, its a good disguise for nobody would follow a raven to where its going. So, by doing this God is also hiding Elijah in a more secure location without being found out as he is being hunted down by Ahab and his wife throughout Israel. God's ways are never our ways!

God feeding Elijah by ravens tells us that God will not desert us after he has asked us to do something hard. God will stay with us, provide for us, protect us. The way God provide/protects us may not be what we are used to, but we have to trust God. That is what Elijah is doing when he accepts and eats the food from the raven. Who knows what condition the food was in, or how it looked or tasted, God told Elijah he would provide for him and that is what he is doing. Elijah is obeying God. This is a lesson for us, that when God sends us help, to accept it, not question it or complain, God knows what He is doing.

1) I'm not certain that God feeding Elijah by ravens tells us anything about God. Other animals, people, the wind or even angels could have fed Elijah, yet God chose a raven. I'm sure He had a reason, but have no idea what it is. I've read that Israel is on a migratory path for thousands of birds so, yes, it is odd that God preferred a raven. 

2) Elijah doesn't strike me as a typical Jew concerned with the niceties of the law, but rather he comes off as an iconoclastic, highly independent and prophetic oddball. Since the Bible doesn't say that Elijah was revolted at being fed by a raven, my hunch is it wasn't a big deal to him. He took the food and ate. He must have known it was God's gracious provision.

3) There's a sort of obedience that's self-conscious, which is the straining, stretching determination to do -- or not do -- what is right, but, too, there's a sort of obedience that's natural, which comes from a close relationship with God and yields an intuitive living-out His desires. It seems that Elijah's obedience took this second form. It was simple. Relational.

4) Does God always provide when we obey? No. I'm sorry but Christian martyrs obeyed unto death, for whom God did not provide even the most basic sort of provision, that which would have kept them alive. I think we can count on His provision when we're actively doing His will and when our ability to do His will is contingent on our physical fitness. But there may be a time when God calls us home, when our work for Him is done. Then, His provision ceases.

What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? The feeding of Elijah by ravens tells us that God in his sovereign will may use all means necessary to sustain us.  The most unlikely instrument can be a useful mission vehicle by God, this reminds us of the unique ways in which God always cares for our needs and meets us at our own points of need.

What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? Elijah in this instance is dependent on God and has obeyed Him thus far - he did not come to the Kerith Ravine of his own volition but was instructed to by God after the humiliating encounter with Ahab, he was following God's instructions. Although a Jew with a strict adherence to the teachings of the Torah and the prevailing culture on unclean and prohibited foods, he considers the provisions made by God through the raven an act of grace by God. He is therefore free to eat without having to consider the act as being right or wrong.

What do we learn about God’s provision for us when we obey him? God is merciful and provides for us as we remain faithful to him. As we abide in him, he provides for us apart from him we can do nothing.  Our fruitfulness and God's provisions for us are a result of our obedience to Him.

Q2 (1 Kings 17:2-6) 
What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? What do we learn about God's provision for us when we obey Him? 
We see God protecting and feeding Elijah in a miraculous way. This was all done to increase Elijah’s trust in the almighty power of Jehovah. He was not to put his trust in the brook but in God Himself, who always sees to the needs of those who obey and serve Him. At the same time, God was preparing him for the mighty deeds he was later to perform. All his food now came from an unclean animal. Yet Elijah obeyed the LORD. He had to discard his traditional ideas of clean and unclean foods. Besides the meat, there was bread which was a general term for various kinds of food and would have included bread, fruit, nuts, eggs, berries, etc. God promises great blessings if we obey His commands, and terrible punishments if we reject Him. This reminds me of Leviticus 26 where God describes the life He will give His people if they keep His commands. For instance, He promises that we will live in complete harmony with nature, have adequate harvests, and give us victory over our enemies. On the other hand, disobedience will be punished by disease, death, and defeat - even mentioning that the climate and land will be hostile to us. 

Ravens are normally seen as something bad because they are carnivores. But God can use anything he wants to fulfill his will and continue weaving his amazing tapestry (HISstory) in our lives. God created the ravens and maybe from his perspective they were not a bad bird. Just like the animals obeyed God when they went into the ark, the ravens obeyed God in bringing food to Elijah.

Elijah certainly had great faith to receive food in the way God chose to send it. I’m sure that Elijah was grateful for God‘s provision even though it was an odd way for God to provide it.

God does things in strange ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, his ways are higher than our ways. We cannot out-think him or understand why he does things the way he does. We have to accept by faith how he does things and trust that there is a lesson for us.

2gWhat does God feeding Elijah by ravens

It shows us that God can use whatever  and whoever  to fulfill his mission  , even the unthinkable 

2.1What does Eating food sent by ravens tells us of Elijah?

Elijah  was God fearing man , and obedient  to God , hence being fed by ravens knowing that they prey on dead carcasses , that might meant its the same meat that was brought  to him . According  to Jewish custom eating meat from dead carcasses is forbidden 

2.2What do we learn about God's provision  for us if we obey  Him

GThere is nothing  God cannot  do for us when we put our complete  trust in Him

Q2. (1 Kings 17:2-6)

What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God?

This sure is a passage in Scripture which confirms the words of Isaiah 55:8&9" "For My thoughts are not your thoughts,  nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord.  "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.""  

God uses who and what is available and willing to be used of Him, for His purpose, in His time.  He is not dependent on performing according to man's protocol.

What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? 

Elijah is following God's direction and whatever is put in his path, he accepts. He is following God's direction in his life. He knows God has a purpose with this all, and so he follows God's guidance. Obedience and definitely no fusspot.

What do we learn about God's provision for us when we obey him?

He  follows out His promise, in that He will provide. He just does not tell us how He will provide.  

I do believe that even there where the martyrs were in the arena or missionaries on foreign land, or those who were murdered, or died untimely deaths etc., that even if according to what it seems like God did not provide the need;  I do feel He provided the NEED FOR THE HOUR, not the need man saw to be necessary.

God uses the unlikely, the undesireable and the least to do His bidding.  God has no respective person or animal or bird.  We all belong to Him.  The earth is His and the fullness of it all belongs to Him.  God is sovereign. God is Omnipotent.  He is El Shaddai (God Almighty). He chooses to use whom He wishes or want.   His plan is perfect and God has never made a mistake. 

The raven was a scavenger, an unclean bird that Elijah under normal circumstances would not have associated with or have any dealings with it.  But because he was obedient to God and follow His instruction, he neither doubt or complaint about the situation of the raven bringing him food to eat twice daily. Elijah demonstrated great faith in Go.  He ate and I'm sure it was fulfilling.  God knew everything about Elijah devotion to His faith in being a Jew.  Nevertheless, God chose a raven and He does not specify how or what the raven brought for Elijah to eat.  The word states that Elijah ate. 

God promises are true. He is faithful to do that He said He will do. He takes care of those who do His commandment.  God's word is faithful and true and He delights Himself in those who are righteous.  God cannot lie and is word is immutable.  We show our love for God by our obedience to His inspired recorded Word. 

God is our provider.  He does not always provide for us in a way we would expect, but he sustains us. 

Ravens are actually very intelligent birds, remembering faces and bringing gifts to those that are good to them, living long lives.  God uses an unexpected way to help Elijah out of a difficult situation.  We need to be alert for these opportunities in our lives and be grateful for them.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Kings 17:2-6) What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? What do we learn about God’s provision for us when we obey him?

God is Sovereign. He can use anything, anybody, anyone to accomplish His will on Earth as well as in Heaven.  Elijah had to trust God with no questions asked, Elijah dependency on God is evidence as he waits to be fed both morning and evening.  (It's not like waiting on Grub Hub with an order of food that you know will get delivered).

God will make it alright for us, He will make perfect everything concerning us while we wait for His provision. 

God will be with his people during times of trouble.  Christ the Word of God was with Elijah during his solitude in the wilds of Gilead.  The WORD OF THE LORD came to Elijah to guide him to safety.

God is Almighty.  For the instincts of animals are in the hands of God.  God can spread a table in the wilderness.   Elijah was humble enough to have firm faith even though the means of sustaining him weren't the normal way in accordance with kosher laws.  Elijah had to suffer in silence during his time at the ravine.  He had to face unexpected difficulties.   He was an accursed outcast;  this huge problem of no rain, terrible idolatry and Ahab is displeased.  Elijah knew that he had to be dependent on God alone and be contented.  Daily strength for daily duties.

We should expect God's deliverance when we are on the path of duty.  God will assist us in His own way.   Cultivate a serenity of mind, a contentment, and a heart that is quiet from the fear of evil.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, S Roberson said:

After Elijah went into hiding at the Kerith Ravine as God had directed him, there ravens brought him bread and meat twice a  day as he got water to drink from a nearby brook.  Elijah obeyed the voice of God and in return God provided for him at a time when nothing else was available as he was running for his life. This shows that God by His power is able to do the impossible to those who obey Him. We see Elijah obeying without hesitation. We also see God keeping His promise to Elijah and He sustains him I a mysterious way. 

By Elijah eating the food brought in by the ravens shows us his great trust in God. By faith he knows that God cannot feed him meat that is unclean because God created all beings. Elijah was living in the wild and anything that the ravens brought he ate because his survival and wellbeing depended on it as God had commanded the ravens to provide for Elijah. 

By fully obeying God He has promised to be with us always and thus meet our needs Matthew 28:30. This shows us that God is faithful and just and He will do what He says He will do. 

Q2. (1 Kings 17:2-6) What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? What do we learn about God's provision for us when we obey him?

feeding Elijah by ravens shows that God can do that which is humanly unthinkable or impossible.

Eating food served by raven shows Elijah’s faith in God and thus his willingness to obey Him.

When we obey God he can go to any length to do for us what may be humanly impossible.

Q2. This is another example of God’s care and generosity to us especially when we obey His commands. God was caring for Elijah by providing nourishment for him in an unusual way. Elijah shows us that he has great trust in God. He puts aside any doubts or worries he has about eating food that he has no way of preparing and cooking as he would have at home. He also obeys God by accepting food from a bird he understood to be “ unclean”. He trusted God and did what he was told in order to survive while he was hiding. God is faithful He looks after us and provides for us in abundance especially when we obey Him. 

Elijah has been a faithful servant by obeying God and delivering his to the message to the King. The Lord will show his faithfulness by telling Elijah to hide in a ravine east of Jordon. In this wilderness there is no food so the Lord provides Ravines to feed him. This also proves God's faithfulness to his servant.    

Feeding Elijah by ravens shows that God will use anything or anyone to get His work done because what is impossible with man is possible with God.

Eating food sent by ravens speaks of Elijah’s faith and obedience to God. 

In our obedience to God, He always provides for us in ways that we consider impossible. 

I think many of the answers here are sufficient, but I want to put a thought down: God fed Elijah by the Ravens (an unclean animal). It asks the question: do we trust God as the ultimate provider so much so that even if provision comes in the most unexpected, or even unacceptable way, that we still see God in it? If God says He will provide for us, that He will be the one to give us our daily bread, then we need to live each day with eyes of faith that He will feed us. Things that normally bring us a sense of shame or that we have a hard time accepting, for me -- it was food stamps during the pandemic-- could easily have been God's provision in a way that I just needed to accept and be greatful for. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Kings 17:2-6) What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? What do we learn about God’s provision for us when we obey him?

Q2. God feeding Elijah by ravens tells us that God is a Great Provider and God of Possibilities.

God feeding Elijah by ravens tells us that there is nothing God cannot use to achieve His aims.

When we obey God, He will provide for us beyond our expectations.

Q2. (1 Kings 17:2-6) What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God? What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah? What do we learn about God's provision for us when we obey him?
God feeding Elijah by ravens tells us that God is a provider of all our needs. God can use any creature and person, some out of our imagination and expectation, to deliver his provisions to us. In this case, God uses ravens, usually treated as unclean to feed Elijah. The eating of food sent by ravens tells us that Elijah was an obedient person to God’s command and directives. Even though ravens are treated us unclean, Elijah accepted the food delivered by the ravens. The main lesson about God’s provision is that God provides all our needs when we obey his commands and trust in Him for all our needs.

That God is faithful. We can trust Him for every bite. He cares about every little thing. Elijah was patient in knowing each day the raven would come. He may have questioned at first but he knew if god did or if God didn't supply he was going to be faithful. I believe sometimes we have to say, "God I love you if you do or if you don't, I will serve and trust you."

What does God feeding Elijah by ravens tell us about God?

It tells us that God will supply our needs because he cares about us.

What does eating food sent by ravens tell us about Elijah?

Elijah is putting his trust in God. 

What do we learn about God’s provision for us when we obey him?

God will supply when we are obedient to his word.

• 4 months later...

God is innovative and creative when solving problems. He can use the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. His ways are counterintuitive. He is a supernatural provider. Elijah trusted God. The point made is that practicing Jews' diets were kosher. God only knows where the raven got the food. But Elijah had to trust God that if the food was not kosher due to the type of food or delivery method, that God had ordained it. God will always provide for His children. He promises to all throughout His word. He is God in that He cannot lie. His word is faithful and true. We can trust Him as Our Jehovah Jireh to provide for all our needs according to His riches in glory.