JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q13. (1 Kings 19:18) Why is a parent’s rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? Why is God’s rebuke difficult for us to listen to? How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? How does God’s rebuke help us? What would it take for you to embrace God’s rebuke like Solomon’s “wise man” (Proverbs 9:8).

• 4 weeks later...

Q13. A child is always looking for his parents love and approval. When the child needs to be rebuked he is hurt, ashamed and knows he has failed his parents. The child loves his parents and feels guilty. Punishment in love is unpleasant but is restorative. If we are rebuked by God we know we have sinned against Him and displeased Him. After all Jesus has gone through for us, and yet we still hurt Him. We feel guilt, shame, and self disapproval. Yes a loving but sharp disapproval does our children good because it makes them see that rules are to be obeyed and they have not done this. Or they may have done something else but the parent has to teach them in a gentle loving way , what is right and what is wrong. God’s rebuke shows us we have done something wrong and that it is not acceptable to God and therefore should not be acceptable to us. I would be defensive and I am sure hurt initially but I hope I would see the error and realise that I needed that rebuke, and ongoing rebukes if I want to become like Jesus. 

Q13. (1 Kings 19:18) 
Why is a parent's rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? Why is God's rebuke difficult for us to listen to? How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? How does God's rebuke help us? What would it take for you to embrace God's rebuke like Solomon's "wise man" (Proverbs 9:8). 
There’s a natural tendency for children not to listen to their parents, especially when they are continually criticised. When the rebuke mostly takes the form of destructive criticism, it will be difficult to listen to, but when given with love and with an explanation of where they went wrong, and what they should have done, it will be more productive in disciplining the child. The same applies to us. No one likes to be rebuked, and it is only when we realise that God rebukes us for our own good that we appreciate His concern and love. Having had 3 sons of my own, I know from experience that it is was not always easy to discipline them but it is necessary to develop character. There is nothing more hateful than a spoilt child. Sometimes they even ask for you to rebuke them, by their disobedience. How else would they know what is right and what is wrong. If I think of the way children are brought up today, without any discipline or when fathers are absent; no wonder the world is in such a mess. God’s rebuke helps us since it is only done with love and with the best intentions for our betterment. We must also remember that our Lord Jesus, as a Man here on earth, had shared our experiences and fully understands the testings we endure. We can go into His presence at any time of the day or night and obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. His mercy covers the things we should not have done, and His grace empowers us to do what we should do but do not have the power to do. This reminds me of the verse: “Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Heb 4:16). Prov 9:8 tells us: “Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you”. The way we react to a rebuke tells a lot about our character. That is if we are a mocker/scoffer we will hate any criticism, whereas being a wise person we will be thankful for any positive criticism. Whenever a parent, or Christian friend corrects us, instead of resenting criticism, we should accept it and understand that it was given in love, and it will only make us wiser. 

Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
    rebuke the wise and they will love you.

This proverb quoted by Pastor Ralph, deals with two groups of people -- mockers and the wise -- and their respective responses to being rebuked.

Who are the mockers? They're secular people, particularly those who are strident and pushy about their lack of faith. When a Christian points out a fault to a mocker, the mocker doesn't respond in humility but will lash out at the Christian in hate. 

John the Baptist had the courage to rebuke Herod because of his sexual proclivities -- he lost his head. Herod's response was hate.

The carnal mind is enmity against God. Rom 8

Those who are wise, presumably Christians, can accept criticism and love the Christian brother or sister who offered the criticism constructively. Of course, being this Christian is difficult and a goal to which we strive. In my case, criticism that's well thought out and seems true is far easier to accept even if hurtful: I know I have a long way to go in the process of sanctification.

A child loves his parents and he knows they love him also, but when he is rebuked by them he knows he let them down because of his actions. A child doing what he thought was best for him could have been foolish and or dangerous. God's rebuke for us is hard because we think we know what His will is for us or others. A loving rebuke to our children is best done by explaining the reason for their actions as compared to what really should be the correct situation. God has rebuked me by coming in that still small voice when I am alone with Him and even then it is hard to take, but he always explains the situation and what is reserved for His glory. Being rebuked by the Lord does prove that He loves me.      

Why is a parent's rebuke difficult for a child to listen to?

Why is God's rebuke difficult for us to listen to?

How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children?

How does God's rebuke help us?

What would it take for you to embrace God's rebuke like Solomon's "wise man" (Proverbs 9:8).

As our children with us, so we with God as our Father, possibly feel we have let Him down when we are rebuked.  Be it so, it is good that He does not leave us in that state and that we can then learn from our mistakes and not go down that road again. God has been so merciful to me and I am forever grateful to Him for His love and kindness He has shown to me.

The wise man accepts the rebuke and learns from it.  

(1 Kings 19:18) Why is a parent's rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? Why is God's rebuke difficult for us to listen to? How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? How does God's rebuke help us? What would it take for you to embrace God's rebuke like Solomon's "wise man" (Proverbs 9:8).

The parent's rebuked are very difficult to the children because it's restricted them to their wishes which lead to destruction unknowns to them but at the end bring everlasting joy. 

Likewise when God rebuked us it is so difficult for us to listen because of lack of understanding and the nature inherited but after complying we are joyful and grateful to God.

God rebuked help us to be fruitful, guide us to be a good person as God wants us to be, (2 Timothy 3:16-17 and Hebrews 12:5-6).

It will take us spirit of humility and love to embrace God's rebuke because of our stubbornness. 

Q13. (1 Kings 19:18) Why is a parent's rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? Why is God's rebuke difficult for us to listen to? How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? How does God's rebuke help us? What would it take for you to embrace God's rebuke like Solomon's "wise man" (Proverbs 9:8).

A parent’s rebuke is difficult for a child to listen to because children and even adults detest being rebuked and may be hostile and rebellious.

God’s rebuke may be difficult for us to listen because we would rather be left alone as the truth is usually bitter.

A loving but sharp rebuke can help children because they will listen to the parents and even change towards doing the right thing.

A small child doesn't see the whole picture.  We too cannot see fully in this life the reasons for negative events. Elijah erroneously thought that God's power was in the spectacular events on Mt. Carmel.  Elijah's thoughts had to be corrected.   He was truly in the school of hard knocks.  The assurance that God never works in vain (vs.18).  The results may be hid from us, but are known to God.

It is difficult due to that we see through a glass darkly in this life.   I have been through this before.  God's thoughts and ways are higher than my thoughts and ways.  Only at my particular judgment after I am free of my human limitations, will I fully understand my hidden motives and my character.   One the psalmist writes about being like a child in his mother's arms, just resting quietly, knowing that all is at rest. The psalmist doesn't busy himself with complicated matters but leaves all in God's care.

A child usually benefits from loving but sharp rebukes.   My parents did the best to correct my sister.   They tried desperately to help her.   So many heartaches!   Indeed my parents were prophetic in warning my sister and trying to steer her away from bad company.

If we are teachable, God's will prevail in our lives.   Through the dark nites of the soul, we are brought to a zero level, whereby we cry out to the Living God.  This can take time.   Moses had to spend forty years in the Sinai to get the Egyptian mentality out of his character.

An Enlarged vision would be so beneficial to me to embrace God's rebukes.   To have an enlarged vision of the higher calling of God.   Like Caleb, I say, "Give me my mountain".  We need to ascend up to Mt Carmel....truly a renewal of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is needed during these days.

Why is a parent’s rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? Why is God’s rebuke difficult for us to listen to?

Parent's rebuke is difficult sometimes because we feel that they are just being mean.  We don't realize it at the time that they are trying to correct us from going down the wrong path.  We look back on those rebukes and can see it was for our good.  Same with God.  His rebukes are for our good in the end.

How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? How does God’s rebuke help us?

Loving rebukes from our parents and God will help mold our behavior in productive ways. 

What would it take for you to embrace God’s rebuke like Solomon’s “wise man” (Proverbs 9:8).

To listen and learn from the rebuke, it will take humility.

Q13. Why is parents  rebuke  difficult  for the child? As a child you look at parents  as loving people and when they rebuke for the wrong  doing sometimes  children don't take it as discipline  or correction of wrong action or behavior 

Q13. How does loving sharp rebuke help our children? It helps them to know what is right and  what  is  wrong and that if they don't do right  ation will  be  taken 

How does God's  rebuke help us ? It help us in building  us to be better believers who are fully  matured that , not only good can come from the Lord , but if we do wrong God will punish wrong doing

13.2 What it would take for you to embrace Gid's rebuke like Solomon  

I till take us  to be fully matured and have a heart that open to Gid's leading  that we are able to see and understand  God's  rebuke if it happens 

• 5 weeks later...

A parent’s rebuke is difficult for a child to listen to because the child due to lack of knowledge, wisdom and experience always thinks he is right. God’s rebuke is difficult for us to listen because we do not know beforehand the good things God has prepared for us. A loving but sharp rebuke helps our children by making them behave rightly. God’s rebuke helps us to come back from astray and walk in his paths. It is good to embrace God’s rebuke because he always has the best for us and I would obediently embrace his rebuke.

• 3 months later...

No one likes to be rebuked. We expect our parents to love and support us unconditionally. It's a shock when there are indicators they don't believe we are all that perfect and wonderful. Children have a natural tendency to rebel against authority, especially familiar authority, until the journey of trust is established. God's rebuke sometimes feels crushing, for fear of punishment. A loving but sharp rebuke is a safety issue. God's rebuke can help us stay safe and on course. I am working on that art of embracing His rebuke because I know it's for my own good. 

• 3 weeks later...

A parent’s rebuke is difficult for a child to listen to because he is doing something that he likes to do. That is the same reason that it is difficult for us to listen to God. Rebuking a child will tell them that they are loved and it will teach them what they should be doing. God’s rebuke with us is that if we correct our errors we will be able to enter the Kingdom of God.

• 11 months later...

Why is a parent's rebuke difficult for a child to listen to? 

• Because for a child, rebuke may resemble rejection further causing the child to feel guilt or shame. Hence, the rebuke must be grounded in love and grace with appropriate and relatable conversations about the what was done and why the behavior or act done is unacceptable. 

Why is God's rebuke difficult for us to listen to? 

• God’s rebuke is like removing a bandaid from a sore to apply salt. Salt causes deep burning sensation but in the end cures at the root in a way the bandaid of our pride, fears and emotional limitations could not. 

How does a loving but sharp rebuke help our children? 

• From this our children learn Godly principles, humility and love in how to respond to situations in a world filled with  ungodly compromises

How does God's rebuke help us? 

• God’s rebuke help us to grasp His love for us and helps us to grow in grace for fulfillment of destiny and transformation of lives within our sphere of influence. 

What would it take for you to embrace God's rebuke like Solomon's "wise man" (Proverbs 9:8).

• It takes humility and trusting God’s love for me in every season. Oh I have benefited greatly during seasons of belly moving rebukes from God. I am who I am today, empowered by His grace because of His love for me in this way.