JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q11. Good Samaritan

• 3 months later...

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the "neighbors" that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God's grace to them?

Jesus sets up the hero to be a Samaritan because He wanted to make a point. That we are to show greace and love to our enemies. And the Jews and Samaritans hated each other and through the parabpe He made His point. The Samaritan shows favor by bringing the man to an inn and taking care of him. Then he goes further and pays the innkeeper for any unexpected costs.

In my community one woman is resented because she is a busybody and a gossip. She also is quite self-centered as well and no one really likes her that much. I can show grace by being nice to her and helping her out when I can or inviting her to church functions. I can give a listening ear when she needs one.

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?

I don't know if this is the right answer however my thought is if God had chosen the Jews as the heroes  it would have fueled the already inflated egos of the Jewish nation as the chosen people  which they are and that salvation is only for them  which it is not and that they are above everyone else which they are not although they are the nation through whom the Messiah was to come.  Not all of them but many I believe felt that way.

The good Samaritan tended to the man right then and there and then got him to where he could be helped until well and paid for current and future care.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Many if not most people don't feel a part of a community therefore don't have "neighbors" in the sense this question implies. I've been living in a very dense city for the past few months. Here, my "neighbors" include anyone I don't know or don't associate with often, which is pretty much everyone!

Though I meet few people, I pray for those that the Lord brings to my attention. This not direct grace -- the grace of the Samaritan --  but an  indirect grace -- mercy from a distance. I think of indirect grace as that of the biblical stories in which Jesus wept for people he didn't know or contact, including all those within the city of Jerusalem. 

(I may be confusing grace with mercy and love, however.)

Jesus spoke to jews and jews dis not get along with samaritans. Jesus wanted to show them that despite religious, the jews that walked by that hurting man did not have a heart according to God s commands. The samaritan acted well but is still a sinner and can inly be saved by grace

Because Jews and Samaritan were sworn enemies with centuries of feuding between them. Of the three who passed by the Samaritan was least likely to offer to help to the injured man.

By stopping to help the man, dressing his wounds and taking him to an Inn where he could rest and recover.  Paying for it all and telling the innkeeper that he will cover additional costs when he returns. The Samaritan’s reaction to seeing the injured man was “compassion.”

Possibly those that are poor and needy. Those that for many reasons don’t have the financial means to make ends meet from month to month.          

To reach out to them with food banks,  clothing stores, medical service as well as Soup kitchens. To do all we that can to share our time, talent and treasures with those that are in need. To share God’s love with them, with compassion and grace.

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? He did so to buttress his teaching on unmerited and undeserved favour or grace.

In your community, who are the "neighbors" that are resented?

In recent times in some parts of my country Nigeria, some people particularly the new generation now show some segregation and discrimination against one another on religious basis. This was not so many years ago when we had good friends and neighbors from different faith that we related very well. I still have my some of my Primary and secondary school classmates that we still relate as friends even in our seventies despite the differences in religion.

But politics seem to be creating deep division based on tribal or religious basis. This sometimes cause hatred and resentment that sometimes lead to serious clashes and destruction of lives and property among some communities.

In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God's grace to them?

By extending gracious Christ-like love to them and also let our conduct and character be the Bibles they can read and know that we are children of light that love them.

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) 
Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favour? In your community, who are the "neighbours" that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God's grace to them? 
In this parable the hero is a despised Samaritan - people who have been for centuries the enemies of the Jews. Jesus wants to highlight who is a true neighbour. The one who shows compassion and mercy to others; the one who goes the extra mile to serve others; the one who even includes the despised. The Samaritan shows underserved favour by the actions he takes. Using strips of his own clothing; pouring his wine on the wounds to clean them; using his olive oil as a healing balm; placing the man on a donkey and booking him into an inn; paying the innkeeper for up to 3 weeks until he returns insuring that the man recovers; and finally promising to return and paying any outstanding expenses. Underserved grace indeed! In our community the neighbours who are resented are the poor, the down and out, the widows, those who have no status and are looked down upon. The ultimate Neighbour was Jesus, whose compassion contrasted with the Jewish religious leaders who had no compassion on those who would die in their sin. He has blessed me abundantly and as a Christian I should emulate Him by loving my neighbour, having mercy, and showing compassion as needed. God has brought to my attention the self-centred selfish life I live, and that I need to start putting other people’s needs before my own. In this passage He has taught me that I should be a neighbour to anyone I meet who has a need that I can satisfy.  

Q11. The Samaritan is the hero because he goes out of his way to help and look after a Jew, while his fellow countrymen had passed by and ignored his plight. Jews and Samaritans had been enemies for many years because of wrongs done in the passed, the Jews had destroyed a temple built by the Samaritans many years previously. Jews also looked down on Samaritans because of their background. But this Samaritan showed himself to be full of grace, going to the help of someone he didn’t know and was seen by others as their enemy. Not only did he take care of his immediate needs but made sure he was looked after until he had recuperated. He was going to cover the cost if it was more than what he was leaving to the innkeeper. He was not looking for anything in return. The Samaritan was like God is  with us full of graciousness, kindness, generosity and love. All the things we don’t deserve! 
In our community we have “travellers “, people who live in caravans and also asylum seekers. I try to show love and respect to them whenever I meet them. Sometimes in the charity shop I volunteer in, and sometimes in the Food Bank.We also have some refugees coming to our church , this makes it easier to meet them and help in practical ways.

Jesus needed to show the difference between the actions of the first two “religious” people and a character that would deliver his message with great effect. The priest, who should act better based on his position, walked on by (31).  The Levite, a likely Temple official, did likewise (32).  But the despised Samaritan, with no religious title or place (that we know of), STOPPED and provided aid (33). The message has little power unless you include verses 31 and 32. 

The Samaritan put aside any perceived differences between he and the injured, and treated him as a fellow human being; one that was in trouble.  He ensured that the man would be looked after, both at that moment, and while he was away.  This injured man was “his” neighbor, no matter his heritage.

In today’s world there are many who have different views from our own. It is easy to look at the differences and resent them.  In many instances, people with low to moderate means despise those that have money, the finer things and tend to flaunt their wealth. Watch on social media when people post about their lives. They show cruise trips, vacation homes, new cars, big houses, windfalls, etc.

We resent them and we should not. Lu$ting after the carnal / natural world goes against our faith.  We should tolerate these folks, knowing that their stuff most likely does not make them happy (on the inside, where it counts).  Instead of backing away, we should engage them and talk about the wonderful things available to us in our lives.  Where “stuff” for us doesn’t carry the same weight as us doing for others (like our Good Samaritan in the parable).

On 10/6/2022 at 7:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?

Maybe He wanted to draw out who would have mercy on him - A Samaritan.  The story goes -A certain man fell among thieves was beaten and left for dead. The priest and the Levite, did not have compassion on him and crossed to the other side. The Samaritan saw the injured man and had compassion on him, bound up his wounds, set him on his own beast and brought him to an Inn and cared for him and left giving the Innkeeper some money  to let him stay till he gets well and if he needs more I will pay you when I get back.

He showed undeserved favor by caring and having compassion and mercy to the stranger. He was showing love and compassion to an enemy (the Samaritans and Jews hated each other). God's Word say to love your enemies.

Russian Jews elderly.  Just in checking on them and know that they have a friend who cares for them.  Cooking a meal, caring for them and letting them know they can count on you.

Jesus 'cast' a Samaritan as the hero of the parable because He wanted to make a point. Jews & Samaritans hated each other & would have nothing to do with each other. The injured man on the road, who was a Jew, was not in a position to help himself. The Samaritan who cared for him had nothing to be gained. This was undeserved & unrepaid favour.

In my community one of the 'resented neighbours are asylum seekers - even rejected by the Government. I worked with a Christian charity with asylum seekers - we organised support through food banks, clothes banks, temporary accommodation in church buildings & spare rooms in private houses ... plus legal advocacy, medical help & pastoral support as necessary.

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan?

Jesus sets up the hero of parable as a Samaritan to show grace and love for your enemy. 

How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?

The Samaritan showed undeserved favor by stopping to help wounded traveler (Jew) and went out of his way to pay ahead the expected costs for his care.  Resented neighbors in my community are people that do not do the upkeep of the outside their homes and young folks that play loud music.  We can show Go's grace to them by approaching them with respect to discuss the situation.

•  
  •  

Jesus teaching pray for your enemies and those that persecute you, for God loves them too. In the Samaritan parable it is known that Jews and Samaritans have no love for one another. A Samaritan who has no racial or cultural links to the wounded and suffering individual on the side of the road has displayed mercy and grace to the individual by taking him to inn so he could be cared for regardless of the cost.

The Samaritan shows underserved favor to the injured individual, knowing he would not be paid back.

In my community the resented neighbors are those that live on the east side of town, mostly addicted to drugs.

Our Christian community shows Gods grace to them by suppling food, hygiene products, clothing and most of all witnessing to them about Christ love and mercy.    

The Samaritan is portrayed as a hero because Jesus Christ wants to show us that both Jews, Greeks and Gentiles are all made in the image of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. We are therefore all important in His eyes because the Word says "God is not a respecter of persons.

He showed undeserved favor because he did want to know the nationality of the person who was injured. He saw a man about to die and acted kindly by assisting at all costs. He did not even ask the man to pay back all the cost incurred. In the modern term language, he did not discriminate against anyone but applied the principle that Jesus Christ taught us on "love your neighbor as you love yourself".

Foreigners because the community believes that they are the ones that commit too much crime and all the negative things that happen in our country are caused by them. That they are easily employed because some employers want to exploit them.

As the Christian community, we must show love to everyone. Not all people commit crime because we have our own who do that. We must preach Christ and Him crucified so that people understand the sacrifice that Christ displayed when He said "Yes to the will of God".  

1. Jesus wants us to love our enemies and those who persecute us. This is grace that is shown.

2. He shows grace and undeserved favor because he is not expecting any pay back.

3. Those that are without food, transportation, and clothes that is needed.

4. We can give them food, give them ride as needed without charging, and give them clothes as well as buying what's needed. No pay should be expected.

Jesus chose the people most hated and despised by the Jews for this lesson on grace. In their eyes, the Samaritans were a detestable mixed race of Jewish lineage who had intermarried with pagans and incorporated idolatry into their worship of Yahweh. Jews had historically persecuted the Samaritans, so there was hatred and antagonism on both sides. So the Samaritan was just about the most extreme example Jesus could have used to demonstrate the concept of mercy to His Jewish listeners! But the man in the parable chose to view this enemy simply as a fellow human in critical need who was unable to help himself. He poured out radical kindness over the wounded Jewish man, showing favor to an undeserving vulnerable enemy who had no way to save himself from certain death. What an example of the kind of compassion and grace that God offers to unworthy, hostile humanity.

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37)

Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan?

How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor?

In your community, who are the "neighbors" that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God's grace to them?

In general the Samaritans and Jews despised each other.  They had been enemies for a long time.  If it was just an every day Jew that showed mercy, the effect of 'loving your enemies' or 'showing mercy' would not have been so poignant.  In fact the priest and Levite who were Jews  that were looked up to in the community, showed no mercy at all.  The Samaritan who was usually looked down upon by the Jews, he was the one that helped the hurt man. He cleaned the wounds and did all he could to get the Jew comfortable and then still took him to the inn to be further looked after, until he was better. It did not stop there, he also paid the innkeeper and promised to pay whatever extra needed to be paid , on his return, just so the man could get better.  This was favour he showed to a man from an enemy tribe.  

I think the beggars who get given money or food and then trade it for drugs or alcohol.  This makes it very hard to distinguish the genuine poor from the ones that choose to be in that situation.  It is best to give through an organisation to the ones that have been found to be in need than just randomly give.  It is not an easy job unless you know someone in the community of choice, who genuinely cares and knows the people. In spite of this one can still show kindness and give as you feel prompted to give.

To my way of thinking, the best way is to work with and among them. Earn their trust and "live Jesus", so that they too may find Him.

Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?

The Jews hated the Samaritans so much that they labelled them as dogs! And the Samaritans were resentful towards the Jews for destroying their temple.  In this parable, the priest and the Levite chose to ignore the injured traveller.  But the Samaritan treated him like a human being not an enemy and helped him.  The Samaritan showed grace, love and care - he shared God's heartbeat.

In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented?   There are many who are resented - the homosexuals, the poor, the sinners (because those who go to church do not sin apparently), the ones who do not excel in their studies and in life) .  In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?  I do what I can.  I start by not judging them.  

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus Christ sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan because the unexpected goodwill by the Samaritan went against history and racial tensions between the Jews and Samaritans, with no expectation of repayment.

The Samaritans despised the Jews just as much as Jews hated Samaritans, since a century and a half earlier the Jews had destroyed a temple the Samaritans had built on their holy Mount Gerizim. Hatred was deeply engrained on both sides in a feud that went back 700 years. Yet the Samaritan "took pity" on the wounded traveler and went out of his way to pay ahead the expected costs for his care. This is favor that is unexpected, that is neither earned nor deserved. In my community people who did not go further with education and are unemployed are resented and described as being lazy. These people need to be engaged and supported in all aspects of life.

• 2 months later...

I think the reason that Jesus sets up the hero as a Samaritan is to shock the Jewish audience and to keep their attention. He showed the undeserved favor by taking care of the man that was beat up. As far as I know there aren’t any “neighbors” that are hated in my community. I’m sure that there might be some I am just not aware of it.

• 1 month later...

Q11. (Luke 10:25-37) Why do you think Jesus sets up the hero of the parable as a Samaritan? How does the Samaritan show undeserved favor? In your community, who are the “neighbors” that are resented? In what ways can you and/or your Christian community show God’s grace to them?  I think Jesus sets up a Samaritan as the hero since the racial tension ran so deep and so old.  700 years is a long time for two communities to be at odds.  In my current community, I think it is the homeless people that build camps wherever they choose--using anywhere as a toilet, that are resented. It is a frustrating problem because some refuse to work and choose to live that way. Our son is a pastor and his church came up with one idea: they fill large ziploc bags with personal items, water bottle, snacks, a pair of clean socks, a Bible verse, and call them 'blessing bags.' People put several in their car to distribute as opportunity arises - and they start a conversation about Jesus. One particular homeless man came to their church, accepted Christ, joined a lifegroup, and the group helped him get over drug addiction, get a job and an apartment.  He and his out of state family were overjoyed.  A challenge to me.