JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q13. Prodigal Son

• 3 months later...

Q13. (Luke 15:11-31) What does the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about God? About repentance? About grace?

That He forgives us totally and fully and doesn't hold anything against us. He loves us and wants us to have full pardon and be with Him. He is gracious and merciful and loving. He accepts us when we ask Jesus into our hearts. That all we have to do is ask forgiveness and turn from what we were doing and God will forgive us. That is what repentance means turning your life around.

That God is willing to overlook all our sins and bring us into His family even though we do not deserve it and we did not earn it. His heart is wide open to us as His children, once we accept Jesus.

Q13. (Luke 15:11-31) What does the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about God? About repentance? About grace?

While thinking about this I started thinking about the pain the father in this story felt as a flesh and blood father and then I thought about our Heavenly Father and wondered how much pain we cause Him by rejecting His gifts, His love, His warnings  etc.  All the good things He gives  us and gets no thanks just rejection.  Sometimes I am painfully reminded about how much  have to learn and how my children have taught me many times about how God feels.  My youngest daughter is now apologizing to me for  the grief she caused me because she is learning from her kids.  She is a lovely devoted mother and now she is learning from her own teenagers and we can learn from our children about God's feelings for His own children.

In spite of the pain we cause Him He runs toward His prodigals, holds no resentment and has a big celebration because the wayward son has returned and He is filled with joy.

We need to be sorry for the pain we have caused Him and express our sadness and regret for our sins.  It has been ( not sure of the word) comforting to hear my daughter express her regrets and also to hear her say "I am in this stage now with my kids (teenagers ) and I don't like it" .  And now I can comfort her. An aside about my daughter, her husband went to the store for diapers when her youngest was four days old and was in an accident and lived on life support for 10 days before he died.  She would go to the hospital and put the baby in his arms as he lay there and spend time with Him.  They had no insurance and God in His grace had her working in a company that did remarkable things to provide for her. Remarkable!  Only God!

It is by God's grace which He demonstrated in the parable that we can extend the same grace to our prodigals. We forgive and love them home again and we thank God for it all.  "Through it all, through it all I learned to trust in Jesus I've learned to trust in God." Andrea Crouch

I love this parable also Pastor Ralph!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The father in this parable is like so many fathers/mothers who have wayward kids and pine for their restoration, salvation and return. (I pray often for my children who are much like the prodigals of this story.) Is God like this with us? Yes. But God's Spirit pulls us toward Him, closer to salvation. We are saved because God the Father didn't passively wait, as we must with our prodigals, but actively searches for us. That's where the analogy breaks down. 

The son's sincere repentance is the part of the story I find most touching for it's difficult to truly repent. There's often a wee bit of holding back, or self-justifying, but not in this story. This boy was truly repentant, so much so that he asked to be restored not as a son but as a servant.

Where is the grace in this story? In the father, of course. He loved his son without hesitation or doubt. He didn't question him. He didn't seem worried that the son was truly repentant. He wasn't concerned that his son would take advantage of him, once again.

He just loved the kid. That's the point, I suppose, that we to love our own prodigals unquestioningly, without doubting their motives for returning or the sincerity of their repentance, leaving that to God to work out as well as to protect us.

So many things it seems: God care about the lost, God forgives , God cares about the one. God doesn’t force us to do anything but celebrates and welcomes us home in our broken and repentant attitude. He celebrates forgiveness and reconciliation.

God’s grace is always enough.

• If we were to look at this story as evidence of God's character, God loves us so much that He will forgive us and holds out his arms to us even when we have been willful and have walked away from him.  He is always there for us, to take us back.
  • It was good to reread this parable again.  When I did, I noticed a couple of things:
    • The Prodigal son was willing to confess his sins and sees himself (correctly) as not being worthy to be called a son.  Instead, he was happy to be accepted back as a hired servant.  Reality hit, and this young man had learned from it and was hard on himself and did not expect any special treatment.
    • The Father looked for his son all the time!  Here it says:  "20) And he arose, and came to his father.  But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and rand, and fell on his neck, and kissed him".  To me, this indicates that God is always on the lookout for us, watching for our coming.  Great News!  I'm also doing a study on inheritance.  Notice here that the son may have lost/spent all his rewards and the good things that His Father had stored up for him, however, he had not lost his sonship. We should also be secure in this.

I admire the younger son who was so honest with his father and realistic about himself.

Q13.This parables teaches us that God is gracious, kind, loving and long suffering. The father , who represents God is waiting and longing for the return of his son despite the terrible way the son has treated him. He then restores him fully to enjoy all the benefits from being his son. This is a picture of just how God treats us every time we turn from our waywardness and turn back to him. We can learn for this parable the importance of repentance, it must be sincere, and heartfelt and turn us away from sin and on a path to holiness. The son in the parable realises just how wicked he has been and knows he is unworthy to be called his father’s son so goes back seeking to be a servant in his father’s household. He is sincere and truly sorry for what he has done. We see Grace at work here, the son did not deserve to be allowed to be reinstated as a member of the family. He was totally undeserving and his gracious welcome was totally unwarranted but that is God’s grace in action, the son was shown his fathers grace motivated by love. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It teaches us how much God loves us and how patient He is in waiting for us to come to our senses.

How willing He is to receive us with open arms as we repent and comeback to Him and even celebrates our return.

His love for us motivates His grace!     

Q13. (Luke 15:11-31) 
What does the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about God? About repentance? About grace? 
We learn about God as a loving Heavenly Father who is also gracious, wise, compassionate, kind, and patient. He will not force His will on us, but will give us opportunities to respond to His love. He gives us the freedom to make choices, but of course not the consequences. He waits patiently for us to come to our senses. This teaches us that God will accept us as sinners wholeheartedly when we repent, acknowledging our sin, and seeking pardon. We receive full forgiveness and restoration – grace that is truly undeserved and unmerited! He will support us and encourage us as we grow in Christ, and surrender our will to His. I think of all the angels in heaven that are rejoicing when an unbeliever repents and turns to God. 

The parable illustrates God's generosity of grace in that the father gives the son his inheritance before he dies. And we are told 'while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming' (v20, NLT) the father is looking - he is eager - for the son's return & runs to greet him even before he is home (v20).

This is grace & we are told that the father was 'filled with love & compassion' (v20) this is grace - laying aside all that had gone before & responding in generous grace.

Repentance is 'turning around' & returning to God which is excatly what the son did.

About God,it teaches that God never holds grudge on us sinners and it is his desire to reconcile with us at all times.

About repentance,a dinner is usually not in his or her right sense of mind. So christians so ernestly pray for all sinners all over the world to come back to their senses and stop sinning 

About grace,it is always available.

The parable of the prodigal son teaches us that God is extravagantly gracious as he could forgive what may seem to a human mortal, an impossible thing to do- to forgive such a great miss conduct/ offence.

The parable also teaches us that God is ready to forgive us no matter the magnitude of the sin if we genuinely repent.

And this big heart of God is due to grace extravagant that is available to a genuine repentant soul.

As humans, we grow up living for the flesh.  We grasp after “things,” wanting to better ourselves based on “keeping up with the Joneses.”  Even after we accept Christ, we are but babies in the Word, not understanding the commitment we must make to live by Spirit and Truth.  God, however, knows our heart and wants what is best for us.  He allows us our time to search the world, seeing what is out there and allowing our free will to guide our lives.

When we finally get hit with the truth, like the Prodigal son, God welcomes us to him with open arms.  He showers Grace on us, though we have done little more than recognize our failures.  We are now awake to sin and the law of the Ten Commandments. We understand the need to repent for our sins.  But we do not need to earn God’s grace by actions.  We are given it freely.  We just need to accept it.  Easy… right?

The Parable of the Prodigal son teaches us that God is Love. He is a true Father who does not give up on His children no matter how wayward we turn out to be. He is patient, kind and ready to receive us with open arms. 

About repentance- God is patiently waiting for us. He wants us to take our rightful places as the chosen generation, the royal priesthood, the holy nation, His own special people. God will not impose Himself to us but gives us time to come to our senses just like the prodigal son did.

About grace- no matter how red our sins may be, God forgives us all of them. God will not count how many times we sinned against Him but when we ask for forgiveness and repent from our sins, He loves a repentant heart and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

The parable of the Prodigal Son teaches us that even as we have fallen from our faith and gone back into would he will be overjoyed if we sincerely repent of our sins and return him.

God loves us dearly even while we were sinners.

If we sincerely repent of our sins and ask for forgiveness he is merciful to forgive us.

His grace is bestowed upon as our faith in the the Lord Jesus Christ has redeemed us from Gods wrath.    

13. (Luke 15:11-31)

What does the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about God? About repentance? About grace?

Just as that father gave the son a choice, so God allows us to choose. Nothing is forced on us. The prodigal son chose to go into the world. The father let him go, albeit with a heavy heart.  I am sure God's heart too is aching after the many who choose so foolishly to take the wrong path. And He too eagerly waits with a longing heart for the repentant sinner to come back.  The prodigal son wasted his living by his own choice and then, when down and out, he was forced to work with animals that he had been taught were unclean. Total degradation. Then his eyes opened and he realized where his choices had led him to.  He repented and returned home, acknowledged that he had sinned against God and against his father. He acknowledged that he was not worthy to be called a son. He was willing to work as a hired help.  This was repentance, where he chose to turn away from his sinful lifestyle, where he gave himself over and was willing to 'pay' for his choices, by being degraded from son to worker.  Having decided to do this he returned home and the father who had been looking out for him, ran to welcome him back, forgive and restore his position as son.  This was truly (undeserved favour) grace shown to the prodigal son. 

To me, Jesus used this Parable of the Prodigal Son to represent God in the unending love and merciful grace of the father who longed for his irresponsible and foolish son’s return home. Just like this man, our Father is always actively watching and waiting for the moment when a wayward child chooses to turn back to Him in an exercise of free will. What joy and celebration there must be at every opportunity to offer forgiveness and restoration, to lavish undeserved and unmerited compassion, mercy, and grace on a repentant child come home. I do believe it is clear in this parable that the only but certain requirement for the release of this abounding grace is genuine repentance and humble confession of sin. Then the Father holds back nothing in releasing the blessings of grace!

Q13. (Luke 15:11-31) What does the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about God?

The Prodigal Son teaches us that our Father in heaven is a gracious and forgiving God.

About repentance?

When we repent, the Father is eagerly ready to celebrate our return back to him with open arms.

About grace?

God forgives us of our sin.  His grace is undeserved and unmerited love he has for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW. What DOES the Parable of the Prodigal Son teach us about GOD??? A profound, deep, HUGE question with an overwhelming, enormous, infinite response. My husband and I were dating when he became a Youth Pastor.  In a series of retreats, we visited this passage with 8 different groups of junior high, high school, or college aged youth.  The final time I remember thinking, "Lord, I am so sick of this parable.  Can we study a different one???" And the Lord answered me with opening my eyes to a refreshing new aspect of the parable, gently showing me, and teaching me that His Word was AMAZING.  Deep. Dynamic. Bigger than the ocean.  God's blessings are new every morning. New. 

Further, this parable demonstrates that repentance is a complete turn around and God's grace abounds.  His grace is deeper, wider, bigger, more amazing than anything we can imagine.