JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q18. Sacrifice

• 3 months later...

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins? Why is he punished for our sins instead of us? Why is he called the Lamb of God? Jesus is a sacrifice because He was the only one who could die for us because He was sinless and pure. Only a perfect sacrifice would be accepted by God and Jesus was that sacrifice. He was tempted but never sinned. He died in our place so that we could be freed and live forever with Him. He was punished for our sins because God had to lay our sins on Him because God cannot stand to be around sin. He had to lay all our sins on Jesus for it was the only way. He is the only way to get to heaven. God did not want to punish us by sending us to hell because of our sins so He had Jesus die in our place. Because He loved us and wanted us to be saved and live with Him. He is called the Lamb of God because He was the one who would take away our sins. He would be the sacrifice God would require for us. Like a lamb He would be led to the cross to die for our sins. He would willingly give up His authority and power and die for us. He would be dumb and not speak just like a lamb who is killed. Like a spotless lamb He would die for us so we could be free.

Jesus is the final “animal" sacrificed for sins, the ultimate sacrifice, God’s lamb. As a man, he allowed himself to be murdered like an animal – his blood, like the blood of an animal, pleased God somehow.

Salvation has a “yet … not yet” quality to it. I am certain of my salvation: when I die I will not go to hell. But before I die, in my everyday life, my salvation isn’t complete. That statement is not quite right. Let me try again. My salvation, as I live this day, is complete, but it’s effects within me are limited. I’m saved from sin in a theoretical/otherworldly/next-life sense, but on earth, there’s sin all around me as well as inside of me. My thoughts are not totally pure. I’m still a sinner even after salvation.

Furthermore, though my sins are forgiven in a judicial sense, the consequences of sins persist, as does the tendency to sin. That tendency lessens with spiritual maturity– and with the Holy Spirit’s persistent involvement in my life -- though consequences of past (and future) sin were not removed at the cross.

I’ve had a difficult time understanding this for many years.

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) 
In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins? Why is He punished for our sins instead of us? Why is He called the Lamb of God? 
God had taught the Jewish nation to slay a lamb and to sprinkle its blood as a sacrifice for their sins. The lamb was killed as a substitute and its blood shed so that sins might be forgiven. But in OT times this did not remove sin, it only pointed to the true Lamb of God who would come and actually take away sin. John the Baptist recognised Jesus as this true Lamb of God (John 1:29). It is because of God’s great love for us, not wishing any to die as the penalty for our sins (Rom 6:23), that Jesus came to die and bear the sins of the world. The most popular verse in the Bible explains it so well. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). The sins of the world were removed when Jesus died as the perfect sacrifice. 

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins? Why is he punished for our sins instead of us? Why is he called the Lamb of God?

The penalty for sin is the shedding of blood.  Jesus shed His blood for our sins on the cross at Golgotha. Isaiah 53:10  says "but it was God's good plan to crush him and cause him grief". We could not pay the price ourselves because we are the guilty party so only a (the) sinless lamb could pay the price and rise again.

He is God and He came to earth  for this purpose to be a suitable sacrifice for a Holy God.

God Bless!

Jen

"Oh Lamb of God, Sweet Lamb of God

I love that Holy Lamb of God

Oh wash me in His precious blood

My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God."

Thank you Jesus!

On 10/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins? Why is he punished for our sins instead of us? Why is he called the Lamb of God?

The natural man born with a tendency to sin cannot just stop sinning.  He needs a Savior. We could not pay for our own sins.   God loved us so much that He had a plan since the beginning of time to save His people from the sin of Adam. Ever since Adam sinned, sin passed upon everyone born after him.  We needed to see our need of a Savior.   We just needed to respond to His love when we realized we could not make it on our own.  Jesus knew why He came to this earth to die.  He was born of a virgin (human), overshadowed by the Holy Ghost (God). He came to die on the cross and pay the penalty for our sin, shedding His blood, died, buried and rose again and ascended to heaven to take care of all sin but we need to respond and trust Him.   Jesus in the perfect, precious holy lamb of God that paid for our sins once and for all.  He is Holy, precious, meek, humble, with spot or blemish.  He is called the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, our Savior, the perfect offering for our sin 

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins?

Jesus is a sacrifice for our sins in a similar way in the old testament when animals were sacrificed to atone for the sin of an individual.

Why is he punished for our sins instead of us?

God graciously allowed Jesus his son and the only lamb that was wholesome and without sin to be able to take our sin upon himself once and for all. Animal sacrifice would have to be repeatedly carried out.

Why is he called the Lamb of God?

Jesus is called the lamb of God because he is the son of God who had to shed his blood for the remission of our sin.

• He is called the Lamb of God because he is the sacrifice for sin that God has chosen for us.  His qualifications are: he must be the firstborn, without blemish (Exodus 12:5, 13:2). 
    • As I reviewed this (Him being perfect) I also had to meditate a bit on the result of the punishment he also received from his beating (Isaiah 52:14), that "his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men"; (Isaiah 53:2)…"he hath no form nor comeliness;  and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."  I can't imagine the beating that would take a perfect man and transform him to something of no beauty.

• Why is he punished for us? If we were left to our own devices, our punishment would result in (justly) going into eternal punishment with no redemption. Paul speaks to us that we could never be able to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in due to our inherited sin nature (Romans 3:10).  John (John 3:16) cites the rationale, boiling it down to one scripture : "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life".

God wants a relationship with us.  He is literally calling us home, however, he cannot allow man to get away with sin without punishment especially when He clearly has commandments to root out sin in our lives.  We cannot live with him in holiness while there is any sin within us.  The blessing in the punishment is the fact that we can totally count on God to be consistent in character in any circumstance.  He is not capricious.  He is willing to sacrifice the only child He had in order to create us as joint-heirs.

Jesus is the “New” sacrifice, replacing the “Old” sacrifice of an animal with no defect.  Jesus had no defects, no sin.  He is/was the perfect sacrifice to the Father. 

As discussed in the previous question, God’s original plan, a world fathered and populated via Adam and Eve, did not work as designed because of Adam’s fall into sin.  Again and again God gave great leniency to His people, hoping they would hear Him, confess, repent and come back to Him.  Over and over they failed Him.

Finally, God sent His only Son to earth, to live among man, call people to him and tell them about the coming kingdom of God.  He took our sins and accepted the punishment to have them forgiven then, in the past and now.

Jesus is the Lamb of God because he took the place of the unblemished lambs that were a regular part of the OT sacrifices for the people’s sins.

Q.18. In the Old Testament God gave forgiveness when an animal sacrifice was made to atone for the sins of the person making the offering. This animal was to be perfect in every way otherwise it was not fit to present to God. When Jesus came to earthHe became the perfect lamb who was slain not for Him own sin but for our sin. He was sinless and perfect therefore He was the only one good enough to die in our place to turn away God’s wrath from us. John the Baptist foretold this when he said “ Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”. John 1v 29.

Under the Old Covenant animals were sacrificed to atone for sin but this had to be repeated

Jesus was the Lamb of God that 'took away the sin of the world' ... & this does not have to be repeated!

God in His grace sent Jesus to be oue perfect sacrifice to atone for our sin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6uaAWjkdo

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53)

"[They] are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement (Romans 3:24-25a)

The Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world.

The Son of Man gave His life as a ransom for many.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53:5-6)

In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins?

For sins to be forgiven, there had to be (atonement) a sacrifice. It had to be blood offering  of a spotless lamb.

Why is He punished for our sins instead of us?

The sacrifice had to be spotless.  We are tainted with sin.  Christ was the only One Who had lived a life free from sin.

Why is He called the Lamb of God?

He was the One Who was sacrificed instead of a lamb. Beforehand it was done again and again, whereas Christ took all our sin upon Him. Never again is a sacrifice necessary. He has paid the price and we are set free .  In that way He is the Lamb of God Who took away the sin of the world.  

Jesus Christ was the sacrifice for our sins because there was no one who could have done that but Him. When God saw how deep humankind was into sin, He knew that Only Jesus Christ could be our atonement, a Lamb without blemishes.

We were all deep into sin and the only One who could save us from eternal damnation, was Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5 verse 21 says : For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him".

He is called the Lamb of God because He was the perfect and ultimate sacrifice for sin. He was the spotless Lamb that could stand the test of time for all mankind.

God had presented his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. Jesus who knew no sin gave His life for many, that those who believe in Him will be saved from the judgement of God.

Only through blood could atonement be made for our sins. In the old testament a perfect and blemish free animals were used for the atonement of an individuals sins and had to be performed annually.

God sent His only Son to be a sacrifice for our sins who was without blemish and knew no sin. He became the sacrificial Lamb provided by God Himself, Jesus was the perfect sacrifice to redeem us from our slavery to sin.        

1. Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins? Why is he punished for our sins instead of us? Why is he called the Lamb of God?

1. Jesus is the sacrifice for our sins today. His blood is perfect without any blemishes. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believe in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. An animal's blood was not powerful enough.

2. Grace and mercy has been given to us because of the love Jesus has for us. When Jesus shaded his blood on the cross, there was no repeating.  Animals blood had to be repeated every year.

3. He is replacing what many lambs that was killed could not do because of their blood lacking power. Jesus shaded his powerful blood only once and he was perfect with a willing mind to help our sins be forgiven. Not looking at the sins we committed. Jesus was humble and a perfect example of love redeeming us from sin.

Jesus bled out His sinless innocent blood as the final and complete sacrifice for our sin and guilt. He was and is the only One qualified to stand in the place of another in the face of the Father’s rightful judgment of sin. Jesus came as our spotless perfect Lamb for the very purpose of this sacrifice.

This act was the fulfillment of the picture of animal sacrifice prescribed in detail by Yahweh when He ordained the rituals of atonement in His covenant with the Jewish people, where blameless blood was shed in place of the guilty. As individuals, man had to repeatedly offer the innocent blood of a lamb to symbolically cover personal sin. But God sent His own pure innocent Lamb to accept that responsibility for us in a way we never could – once for all, the final comprehensive atonement. (And I think this ritual of atonement was a picture for man that was entirely modeled on what Jesus already knew He would come to do in the future to permanently make atonement for humanity.)

The Father accepted this willing sacrifice made by His Lamb to stand in our place of punishment and conquer the penalty of death. And now He mercifully offers that holy sacrifice to all humanity as the one and only way to be redeemed from the consequences of our sins and transgressions, both on earth and for eternity.  What incomprehensible love and amazing grace!

Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain; He washed it white as snow....

Oh praise the One who paid my debt, And raised this life up from the dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPC4clWLbQ

• 2 weeks later...

Q18. (Romans 3:24; John 1:29; Mark 10:45; Isaiah 53) In what sense is Jesus a sacrifice for our sins?

God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood for our sins.

Why is he punished for our sins instead of us? Why is he called the Lamb of God?

Jesus was the only one that was sinless that could make this sacrifice.  He is called the Lamb of God because He sacrificed Himself for us.

Jesus is a sacrifice for our sins he died for us. He was a gift from God to die for us. There was nothing we could pay to God for our sins. Our sins were placed on Jesus Christ and all those who have faith in Jesus Christ are made righteous before God.  Jesus Christ is punished for our sins instead of us because of the love of God for us. Jesus is called the Lamb of God because the sins committed by us are actually punished in Christ so that we can be freely forgiven by God. We have sinned and Jesus died for our sins and Salvation is freely given to us through God's grace

• 2 months later...

Jesus died on the cross for us. He was the perfect lamb for our sacrifice. Jesus went though a lot of pain for our sins. They were laid upon him even though we could not put our hands on him like they did when they sacrificed the lamb. We would not be able to have eternal life if it weren’t for his sacrifice. This is why he is called the Lamb of God.

• 1 month later...

God did an amazing thing in Jesus on the cross.  He placed all of our sins on Jesus.  Our sins. My sins.  In the old testament, the Law set up sacrifice. The cultures around those who were called by God - Israel - sacrificed to false gods, so the people understood sacrifice to appease the gods--perhaps that is why God set up sacrifice of atonement. Or did these multi-cultural people hear a whisper of the need to sacrifice, a whisper from the time Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden? Thus, to fulfill the Law which demanded sacrifice, Jesus came and became sin for us. Romans 8:1-4, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."  Jesus is called the Lamb of God because a perfect lamb was required for sacrifice.  Only Jesus is free of sin and perfect.