JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q21. Drawing

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation? In what sense is the Spirit’s revelation important to faith? In what ways have you seen the Father “draw” people to Christ? What is the role of “free will” in salvation?

• 4 months later...

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation? He convicts us of our sinfulness. In what sense is the Spirit's revelation important to faith? If He did not convict us of our sins, we would never come to God. We would never know we were sinners and on our way to hell. We would still think we were good enough for heaven. In what ways have you seen the Father "draw" people to Christ? I have seen people come up to the altar in church. I have seen them be drawn at camp services. I have seen them go up the aisle at crusades I seen on television. What is the role of "free will" in salvation? Free will causes us to either say yes or no to the call of salvation. God cannot force us to accept His free gift.

The Holy Spirit  convicts us of our sinfulness (Jn 16:8-11), hence our need of salvation & the Father (through the Holy Spirit) draws us (Jn 6:44)

Salvation is a gift of God (Eph 2:8-9) it is not of ourselves ... the Holy Spirit's revelation is key to faith - for without it we would not know our sinfulness & where to look for God's answer. We need God's revelation (Matt 16:16-17)

Working as I did with asylum seekers, many of whom were Muslims, we saw many drawn by God through dreams and visions More Than Dreams: Khosrow as God wooed them by His grace

Free Will is a difficult issue/concept but we are drawn/assisted to salvation but not coerced

On 10/6/2022 at 7:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation? In what sense is the Spirit’s revelation important to faith? In what ways have you seen the Father “draw” people to Christ? What is the role of “free will” in salvation?

The Holy Spirit works in our lives to prepare us for salvation by revelation, by persistent conviction, The Father drawing us and by grace to those who believed.

The Spirit's revelation is important to faith because revelation  brings faith.

I have seen the Father draw people to Christ at an altar call in church as the person is convicted of sin through the preaching of the Word  and drawn by the Spirit to give their lives to Christ.  Or, they may have heard the Word  that night and in the quietness of their bedroom, convicted of their way of living, commit their life to Christ.

The role of free will in our salvation is that we have the right to choose.  God doesn't force us.  He has given us a will , a free response to God's unconditional love.  We need to make a decision.

I'm grateful for this lesson because it set out the problem of unbelief more clearly for me.

I neither know how the Spirit prepares some people nor do I know if the Spirit works in ALL people, though I hope so. All I know is what I see with my eyes, that some people seem dead-set against faith, adamantly so, and refuse to even consider the possibility of God's existence. Either they never received the Spiritual tugging or they rejected it.

If the Spirit had been drawing these Seculars toward God unsuccessfully, He didn't pull hard enough. IF the Spirit draws some of us toward God, which I believe, then why doesn't He pull harder on those who resist Him? He pulled hard on Paul, after all. Paul's salvation was dramatic. The Spirit pulled Paul by blinding him and then sending him into the desert for several years. 

If faith is a gift of God, I want to know why everyone doesn't have faith. This goes beyond free will and, in a way, goes beyond the "irresistible" nature of salvation of which Calvin speaks.

Here are the options.

• The Spirit successfully drew a person toward God.
  • The Spirit unsuccessfully drew a person toward God -- that person rejected the Spirit.
  • The Spirit never drew a person to God to begin with -- he or she was not elected. He or she didn't get the gift of the Spirit therefore had no tugging of the Spirit to ignore.

• These questions are tough!  I believe that everyone has a divine spark within them which can draw us further into our desire to live as a Christian. Not everyone accepts this influence. Once we start to observe the nature of man, and respond to the various prods of the Holy Spirit, we may hunger for that salvation.  This reminds me of the age old question, "Is that all there is?". 
  • I have seen the Father draw people to Christ in a very few, rare occasions.  Within a crowd, within discussions, there may be a person who draws your attention and you do not know why.  These people usually have a command of themselves and an intelligence to listen to what has been said. It is instantly drawing; a presence.  By nature, I think, we all sense these people and watch them skeptically at first to assess who they are and what they have to say.  We need to be aware, however, that these influencers can be either evil or good and we need to refer back to the Holy Spirit before attending more to them. Humans are very good seekers!
  • Our unfettered decision in anything (place to live and allegiance to that country, beliefs, manner of living, priorities in our view of the world) is very precious. When a decision is made freely, that means that you willingly take on the responsibilities and the consequences of your decision.  God does not want a relationship with someone who if forced into a decision for believing in the rescue that Jesus offers.  From the time of creation, He wanted a relationship with us when He wandered in the Garden with Adam.  There is no relationship when one blindly follows or wavers in salvation.

God draws us to christ (jesus said:” nobody comes to me of the Father doesnt bring him” ( John 6.44).  In Mt 7.14 Jesus says the ones who are His, die for themselves and start obeying Christ. Ot is impossible to do it with our human mind. We do it all by faith, but that is supernatural faith given to us by the Holy Spirit. 1 John 2.27. But he says for us to keep our beings in Christ. As the Spirit remains in us, we have to remain in Christ

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) 
How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation? In what sense is the Spirit's revelation important to faith? In what ways have you seen the Father "draw" people to Christ? What is the role of "free will" in salvation? 
The supernatural work of the Holy Spirit releases us from our bondage to sin, and brings us to Christ. The result is that we are regenerated (born again), that is raised from death to spiritual life. Jesus Himself said that no-one can see (John 3:3), and enter (John 3:5) the kingdom of God unless he is born again. We are made alive in order to understand and respond to the gospel message. I can clearly recall this happening to me in 1982. After years of going to church and the messages going into one ear and out by the other. All of a sudden I took notice and the gospel started to have meaning to me. A gift of grace, since I did nothing to change myself – the start of a long journey. I was so excited and willingly made the decisions to repent and put my faith in Christ Jesus; even these were a gift of God (Eph 2:8-9); created in me by regeneration. There must have been a change of heart, and this was not me being compelled to make a decision against my will. Much later I learned that I was one of the elect, who God chose to save before creation. This was mind boggling. I believe we all have free will to do whatever we desire, but God is sovereign and whatever He decrees will eventually come to pass. For instance, all the elect will eventually come to faith in Christ. Hallelujah. Praise the Lord! To me salvation is all together an act of God, not something we can do or earn. An act of grace that is neither earned nor deserved. 

From the book of John, chapter 16: 7-13 … Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.  These revelations about the role of the Spirit are important because they define the roles of the players, and the events that are critical to the act of our salvation.

In many of the instances where friends accepted Christ as their savior, it usually related to a life changing experience: the death of a friend or family member, a divorce or a relationship breakup, a severe injury, with a need to search beyond the available medical answers to improve the chances of recovery, or a negative financial event, resulting in the loss of shelter, food, automobile, etc. It was at these “low” times that friends searched for help, and since several of them are now Christians living an improved life, God must have “reached out” and drawn them to Him.  Once aware of God, each followed a path where God continued to play a loving role and showered grace, resulting in a revelation and an acceptance.

Finally, man’s free will remains a player in the event, because even though God sets the table, per se, the final decision to accept Him (and Christ) remains man’s.

Q21. The Holy Spirit ***** our conscience and places within us a persistent conviction that we are sinners and heading towards damnation. If the Holy Spirit didn’t reveal our state of sin to us we would continue in a blissful state of ignorance and not feel any urge to find out more about God. It is only as we seek, read, pray and trust  that our faith is established and grows. I haven’t seen many but I have seen some who had no interest in the things of God become interested and start going to church and asking searching questions. God provides everything we need  to be saved but it is ultimately up to us whether we deny or accept His free gift. He will increase our understanding, He will heighten the sense of need, He will give us His grace but we still have to make the final decision as to whether we are going to give our lives to Him or reject all He offers and walk away.!

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44)

How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation?

In what sense is the Spirit's revelation important to faith?

In what ways have you seen the Father "draw" people to Christ?

What is the role of "free will" in salvation?

The Holy Spirit uses others who have already responded to the message of salvation, their lifestyle draws us and maybe convicts us.  They can also by their direction / talk which will of course be the Holy Spirit leading them, cause the seeking soul to learn more of salvation.  He even uses negative things that make us realize whereto we are headed if we do not turn to Him.  God reveals things to us also by working in our thoughts.  God draws us in different ways, even dreams.  Different instruments or conduits are used, but ultimately it is the Father that draws people through those ways, to salvation.

Without the Spirit's revelation of our need to have faith that we are indeed saved, we will be plagued by doubts, alternately we will think we are good enough and it can all be accomplished by works.  

I have seen people being drawn to Christ by hearing the Word.  I have seen them desiring the same peace others have found upon living for Christ.

The person still has to make that final choice of accepting or rejecting that "pull".  God does not force it. His arms are open wide ready to accept us into His fold and ready to change us, to make us into His image.

Q21. (Acts 18:27; Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation?

He gives us some promptings or little nudges.

In what sense is the Spirit's revelation important to faith?

I think the Spirit revelation gives us better understanding of our need regarding faith and prompts us to take appropriate action.

In what ways have you seen the Father "draw" people to Christ?

I personally think that all the times at alter calls etc, people respond to a call to accept Christ, they do so by the Father’s power drawing them.

What is the role of "free will" in salvation?

God has given us the will to choose or decide what we want to do including choosing to accept eternal life or not.

I do sometimes wish that God would not allow me to take any wrong decisions. That he would enable to do only what he wants, and only that which is right.

The Holy Spirit gives us wisdom, knowledge and understanding to know God's unconditional love for all mankind. He is persistent in making us understand that we do not have to work for our salvation but believe that it is the gift from God. The Holy Spirit convicts all who are spiritually dead, making them aware of their sins.

The Spirit removes self-doubt when you think that other Christians are better than you. He comforts us in knowing that we are enough as we come to God just as we are. The Spirit reveals God to us and not the other way. We need to understand that God is patient and us for us to repent. He grants us the opportunity to come back to Him like He did with Saul/Paul.

God does not impose Himself to us. I have seen people who have hardened their hearts coming back to God because of His unconditional love. God waits for us to be ready to accept the wonderful gift of salvation. There are many prodigal sons and daughters that come to their senses and fully give their lives to God.

The role of the free will in salvation is that the Holy Spirit guides, leads, directs, advises and helps us in revealing the importance of salvation through faith and not through works. Our lifestyles, actions and works are evidence of the faith we have in God and bring up the understanding that salvation is for all mankind.

1. The Holy Spirit works in our lives by letting us see that we are sinners in need of a change. Seeing others as an example, through testimonies of others, convicting us of our sins, and letting us know he is love. He is waiting for us to come to him and that it is our choice.

2. The Spirit's revelation will allow us to see what is needed for us to change and have faith that we can. We can have strength that helps us to believe in God's word by reading, meditating, and praying to increase our minds thinking on the basis of the Spirit through faith.

3. They were drawn through the word preached, being witnessed to from a true believer, seeking him and he answering, speaking to them in a quiet way.

4. After the word of God is shown, expressed, God allowing us to see that he is there and waiting for us with his loving hands: we have a choice to make whether we will believe him enough to trust him or not. We will feel free to serve him knowing that the bible says, "Choice ye this day whom ye will serve."

The Holy Spirit works in our lives to help prepare us for salvation by the persistent conviction that we are sinful.

Without the Holy Spirits revelation of our sinful nature we would not be drawn to God the Father and his gift to the work of Christ on the cross. Without the Holy Spirits conviction of sin we would not say yes to the Father drawing us to him.

I have seen the Father draw people to Christ because they finally realize they are spiritly lost

The Holy Spirit draws us to the Father as well as revealing spiritual truths to us.

When you have an encounter with the Holy Spirit and He reveals truth to you, that impacts your spirit in a profound way. Joy and a strengthened faith are often a by product of this experience.

These people will begin to change, having greater interest in spiritual things; God’s word, prayer, salvation, the gospel. Changes in their countenance; happiness, being more content.                  

Well, I believe from what I’ve read in the Bible, is that we have the free will to accept or reject the free gift of salvation in Jesus Christ. We are not forced to accept Christ as our Lord and Savior.

Matthew 16:16-17; John 6:44) How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives to prepare us for salvation?

In what sense is the Spirit’s revelation important to faith?

the enables us to understand the voice of God and discernment of the voice of the devil from that of God. he helps us to see that this is wrong before we are caught in in. Those who are not guided by the Holy Spirit always only realises after they have committed  the wrong

In what ways have you seen the Father “draw” people to Christ?

He may create or make us encounter a situation that will cause us to remember God and respond to Him. The situation may be negative or positive

What is the role of “free will” in salvation?

The free will energises our response to God's call to make a movement towards his calling

I like Pastor Ralph’s phrasing that God is always reaching out to sinful man to “influence without coercion”. The entire miracle of conversion from unbelief to faith involves His outreach. He uses the circumstances of our lives, orchestrates encounters with Truth, sends people into a life at just the right time  with a message of conviction or hope - to show us our need and draw us to Him. His Spirit is always at work to convict us of our sin and reveal its consequences (John 16:8). That revelation is key to receiving the faith to put one’s complete trust in Christ for salvation. And yet that decision can only be made by individual free-will choice, never by compulsion. 

Salvation is a gift from God that we get by faith in the death of Christ Jesus. The faith and the ability to repent are aided by the Holy Spirit through prevenient grace, grace that precedes salvation. Grace influences us to believe and put our trust in Christ. God draws people to Jesus Christ. The Spirit also gives us knowledge. The spirit does not compel us against our will. Grace is not irresistible. Grace also inspires sanctification and the good works that we do, now that the Spirit lives in us. The father draws people to Christ in many and different ways such as through family members, fellowship, sickness, church services, relationships, revival meetings, visions and many more.

• 2 months later...

I think that the Holy Spirit makes it so that we can hear the true word and that is what prepares us for salvation. The Spirit helps us understand what faith is. I have heard of people being drawn to Christ when they heard the true word. He will also draw them to himself especially when they are trying to prove that He doesn’t exist.

After we hear the truth then we have to decide if we want to follow Christ.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you and with Billy Graham: decision.  It is a decision of our will to follow Jesus. God calls us, the Holy Spirit opens our eyes and our hearts, but it is each person's decision.  Over and over again through the Bible when people cry out to God - He SAVES.  Psalm 107 presents a clear view of hindsight noticing how God called His people.  I have seen the Father draw people to Christ through illness, rugged circumstances, kindness, and gentleness. Asking a room full of Christians How they came to Christ yields a variety of ways and stories.  Our Wonderful Father is creative!

•