JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q27. Assurance

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11) Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament? What is your favorite promise of God’s role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation?

• 4 months later...

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11) Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament? What is your favorite promise of God's role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation? I think because God knew we would need to be reassured when we have doubts. To know that He is watching out for us and holding us in His hands. That as long as we hold firm in our faith we need not worry about losing our salvation. That He God the all knowing one and powerful is guarding us and we need not fear. No matter what we go through He will be there and not let us go. As humans we are prone to worry and anxiety and God knows this. Romans 8: 38-39 because I know n9o matter what I go through He will be with me and help me. He will never leave me. He will be with me to the end.

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11)

Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament?

What is your favorite promise of God's role in keeping you in Christ to the end?

How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation?

Life's journey is varied.  One assurance can be used for one experience in life and another one for another experience.  In this way there are many assurances that cover different aspects.  It is for real and we are reassured that we truly are safe and secure in our assurance of salvation.  I love the picture portrayed in John 10:27-30 that indeed no one can pluck us out of His Hand.    Nothing and absolutely nothing can pluck us out of His hand. Just read the ominous list of things that can try, (Romans 8:38 &39),  but praise God, none will succeed, to pluck me out of His hand.   

• After Christ's death, the situation was very dangerous for the new Christians, not only from the Romans but also from their own culture, the Jews.   Leadership was threatened and imprisoned.  In short, many times they were left wandering and also may have had to leave their own families and communities.  Their lives were in crisis for something brand new and unfamiliar to them.  It was a similar situation, I would imagine to that which the troops face when they are shipped out to a strange land with weapons and training that is unfamiliar to them.  In these circumstances, we tend to rely on someone to bring us back to centre:  to encourage, to correct and to sustain us.  These assurances were important to keep us as well as the new believers close to God.

What is your favorite promise of God's role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation?

• There are so many! Paul's assurance to Timothy likely kept Timothy going day to day regardless of the things happening around him.  Timothy's faith in the safety from God is also important.  I would think for me, the statement from which all of the others flows is Philippians 1:6 …Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus".
  • I don't have to rely on what I DO to ensure my salvation and my faith and my respectability before God.  Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith.  When I lay that down before God, it is up to the one who started the work to finish it as Paul states. My expectant hope and trust is that He will do this.

Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament? What is your favorite promise of God’s role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation?

Suffering and doubt make it necessary for Him to repeat and reiterate that our faith is real and won't crash on the shoals of a personal disaster or intellectual query. I'm grateful for the assurances of faith. Dependent, even. 

My favorite promise is this: "Out of his fullness we have received grace in place of grace already given." The ideas here are His abundance and generosity, a never-ending supply of grace when needed. This verse also reminds me of the grace I've already received.

My salvation is assured even though/when I doubt. But I do need to be reassured that I'll be saved from life's events, from the horrible personal anguish that life has brought. His grace has allowed me to endure so far and, by his grace, He will give me enough grace to carry on until it's over. 

Life can be a struggle: we struggle with lifr, we struggle with situation, we even at times struggle with our selves etc

We can't do it on our own - but scripture assures us that it is by faith not our own effort

This gives me assurance & stability that it is all by faith

God knowing how weak we are told us these things

"... this is the WILL OF GOD that I should not lose even one of all those He has given Me" (Jn 6:39, NLT) - this gives me a strong assurance I WILL NOT BE LOST - IT IS GOD@S WILL! 😄

ONLY BY GRACE

We are a forgetful people we need to be reminded again and again all about God. These verses of assurances  encouraged New Christian’s that God was there to protect them and keep them strong no matter what they have to face. These assurances are there for us today to encourage us and strengthen us when the going gets tough. 
I find it hard to pick any one verse, I have had comfort and drawn strength from them all at different times. I love Jude which starts “ To Him who is able to keep you from falling, “ that is enough to comfort me but it goes on to say that He can present me before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy! What wonderful thoughts! Praise God! 

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11) 
Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament? What is your favourite promise of God's role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favourite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation? 
I think many of us struggle with the assurance of our salvation. Satan wants to cast doubt in our mind, thereby preventing us from living a Christian life free of worry and doubt. Perhaps, over time we look for personal growth in the fruit of the Spirit, are we doing enough good works; are we obedient enough; have our sins been forgiven; have we repented them all - if we think not, we begin to doubt our salvation. This prevents us having a healthy relationship/fellowship with our Lord and Saviour. I feel that our assurance comes first and foremost through the Word, and that God wants us to be sure of our salvation, for this reason there are so many assurances of faith in the NT. The moment we trust our Lord Jesus Christ we can know on the authority of the Word that we have been saved. With time there will be evidences of the new life. My favourite promise is the double guarantee found in John 10:28-29, Jesus speaking: “… no-one can snatch them out of My hand … no-one can snatch them out of My Father's hand.” Wow! Praise the Lord! Not only is my salvation in the hand of Christ, but in my heavenly Father’s hand as well. That is no-one, absolutely no-one can threaten or stop me being saved. I cannot lose my salvation. This is a double assurance of safety - of me spending eternity with my Lord. 

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11) Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament? What is your favorite promise of God’s role in keeping you in Christ to the end? How does your favorite promise give you powerful assurance of salvation?

For me, I think the reason is that we need to be reminded over and over again of God’s faithfulness. We think we’ve messed up or maybe we fall prey to “stinking thinking” and convince ourselves that we can never be good enough. We need to be reminded that our salvation and eternal life are in God’s hands and not ours. We need to remember to focus on Him and His word!

Tough choice to make, but; John 10:27-30     
“My sheep hear My voice;  and I know them and they follow me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of my hand.               
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.             
I and the Father are one.”

God is alway faithful and is more than worthy of all my trust and faith in Him.                
As you read John 10:27-30 above you’ll know what I mean.

Q27. (John 10:27-30; Jude 24-25; Romans 8:38-39; 2 Timothy 4:18; Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:8; 1 Peter 5:10-11) Why do you think there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament?

This is to strengthen the hope of believers and encourage them to keep hanging on despite challenges that may arise.

What is your favorite promise of God's role in keeping you in Christ to the end?

It is the one that promises that he will never leave me nor forsake me. John 10:27-29, Rom 8:38-39& Hebrews 13:5-6

It helps me to keep holding on despite trials and temptations.

The assurances are there to give us hope in all the situations that we face in life. God wants us to know that He will not relent from the promises He has given us and assures us that He is not a man to lie nor son of man to change from His promises. When we face different and difficult situations, each one has its own assurance. These assurances do not by any means signify that God is unsure of what He wants for us but indicates that whether we are in fire, in water, He will be there with us and not for us.

My favorite promise is in Isaiah 26 verse 3 " You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trust in you".

So many things are happening in this world and most of the time we want God to act immediately and solve all these challenges but when your mind is in Him, you will see and pray that God will at a time appointed by Him deal with all these uncertainties. I am at peace with myself, my family, my colleagues, the church members and everybody that I meet along the way because I know that God is at work.

The Gospel as disseminated by Jesus The Christ is not a forcing matter. God has given us the power to decide on many options. The many promises of assurances bring in the effect of repetition so as to believe and build our faith in Christ

It is to believe that, God's presence is always with the faithful ones. Psalms 119:11 (RSV)

It helps me to keep my faith stronger and ever growing

There are many assurances of faith in the new testament to remind us that God remains faithful no matter the consequences, we assured of his protection and loving kindness.

My favorite promise of God's role in keeping me in Christ to the end is Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in me will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

This promise in Philippians 1:6 gives me assurance that no matter what difficulties or temptations, the Lord will strengthen me and keep me to the end.

1. To let us be reminded that there is no excuse of doing wrong. It is to let us know that Jesus loves us and cares for us. To let us know no matter how hard things get, to keep the faith and not give up.

2. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

3. I believe no matter what happens, I have strength to go through because God will strengthen me.

1. To let us be reminded that there is no excuse of doing wrong. It is to let us know that Jesus loves us and cares for us. To let us know no matter how hard things get, to keep the faith and not give up.

2. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

3. I believe no matter what happens, I have strength to go through because God will strengthen me.

There are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament to emphasize on God’s love and care for us at all times. My favorite promise of Gods role in keeping me in Christ to the end is found in Romans 8:38-39: “I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord”. With this assurance and promise am powered to trust and have faith in God through Jesus Christ in all difficult circumstances and at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my "anchor Scriptures" is I am sure of this, the He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6). And Romans 8:38-39 has always given me strength and assurance that there is absolutely nothing in all creation that can separate me from the love of God. That love is the wellspring of His grace, mercy, favor, kindness, and every promise He has made. I am grateful for the multitude of assurances in the New Testament that He has provided to constantly remind our weak, wandering, doubtful hearts that He will see us through all the difficulties of this life and the challenges of growing in Christ to reach the glorious end when all His promises are fully manifested. This includes the security of salvation. Nothing we face can change the hope of His Word!

• 3 months later...

I think that there are so many assurances of faith in the New Testament because we are to believe in something that we can’t see. Since we have a loving God, He just wants us to feel safe in his hands. The favorite promise of God’s role is that he is going to keep us save to the end and that he is with us at all times.

• 1 month later...

My favorite verses in this list are Romans 8:38-39.  NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING...can keep us from the love of God in Jesus.  NOTHING. Pretty powerful list!!!  I also like the verses in 2 Timothy because they tell of him being deserted, but GOD was faithful in standing with him.  We are assured of faith for the future and faith for strength and His presence NOW.  What a gracious GOD we serve!!!