JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q29. Weakness

• 4 months later...

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7)

Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction?

Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?

It is easy to look on self in such time and presume that the reason for the malady/infirmity/sickness, be it whatever, is because of sin  and being counted unworthy to be a vessel to be used by the Master.  We come to the conclusion, who are we?  But it is "who are we?"  For it is not to us or on us others should look, for we are just a vessel, it is Christ using us.  

Christ knows our human frame and I just marvel again and again how and who He uses.  For when I am weak, then I am strong, for Christ in me is reflected so much more.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction?

I've been there at this time, having lost my husband  a year ago after a year long illness. Grief has felt like  sickness

to me...like a long drawn out flu virus sapping energy, focus, desires, interests, strength, appetite, joy.

Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?

Self absorption, fatigue, self pity, low energy, lack of interest and or desire.

It's interesting that He has still given me opportunities to minister to others. I brought a new neighbor to church on Sunday and she said "This is the first time in my life that I have been in a church!" I've had the privilege of praying for and encouraging another neighbor who was going to an A.A retreat, and who called me last night to say thank you for praying. It was a good experience!  (both of those opportunities were lovely, and were done in HIS strength, because I'm still feeling drained, lacking energy to even push the vacuum cleaner around!

He is faithful to work through us in HIS strength to accomplish His purposes through us. I'm thankful that He does! 

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction? Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling? I think because we think we can do nothing worthwhile when we are sick or afflicted. That we forget that it is God who gives us strenth and power to do things. It is God who enables us to work for Him in spite of our sickness or disability. Nothing is impossible with Him.

I think we are tempted to stop because we think we do not have anything to give them. That it is too much, and we forget that God can help us in our weakness. I have been there when my husband died yet God used me at a ladies retreat to speak and minister to others especially a woman who had just lost her husband. God can use anyone in any kind of condition.

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) 
Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction? Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?
In times of sickness, we usually focus solely on our condition. Feeling sorry for ourselves and thinking that God has forgotten us or is neglecting us. It is very difficult for us to realize that God may have in mind to bring about some good through our struggles. God is sovereign and He may allow this sickness for a reason. Perhaps, our spiritual condition is more important than our physical condition. Then again, our sickness may draw us closer to Him as we pray more earnestly. As we approach the throne of grace for mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. It will humble us. We notice that in 2 Cor 12:7 (ESV) Paul mentions twice “to keep me from becoming conceited”. Also, it will also result in more and more grace to help us cope with our condition. We might be tempted, because of the debilitating effect our sickness has, to stop ministering to others. We are often not in a happy place and in this weakened position find it difficult to minister to others.

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction? Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?

I think it is the human condition.  When all is going well it is easier to be and do what we would like to be and do. I look in the Bible and see weakness in so many of the prophets.  Think of the mental and emotional drain they felt with the animosity they felt and the discouragement of seeing the downward trajectory of the people and the country.  Think of Paul.  He sounds like he is depressed sometimes and on the defensive. Going around as known but unknown., beaten and stoned.  We may not always have the vim and vigor we would like but we do what God puts in front of us and let Him be our strength.  We refresh ourselves in Him.  He is our strength.

I feel drained many days right now and I give myself some time to recover.  Jesus understands our condition.  Hard to comprehend that but as fully man He did feel what we go through so He can sympathize with us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction? Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?           

The sickness or affliction often drags or bodies down physically, emotionally and spiritually. Lack of energy, constant pain can make it very uncomfortable and difficult to function normally.

In some ways we may feel like we need to be ministered to someone. It’s seems hard to minister to someone’s needs when you are sick and possibly weak yourself. But as we can see from Paul’s example; he was able to carry on quite well. “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” 2Corinthians 12:9

A great example for me is a friend from church, he’s in his eighties and is legally blind. But he doesn’t let anything slow him down, he just keeps on moving forward, trusting God and sharing his faith.

In the times that our bodies are normal (we are in good health), we are open to seeing what is around us.  We easily look outside ourselves and are open to “it’s Not about Me”).  We can walk like Christ, being gentle, humble, giving and readily willing to sacrifice.

But… when we are ailing, we suddenly become a member of the “woe is me” segment of society.  Our focus turns internal. We now want (need?) attention from others.  We don’t feel good, we hurt, we crave relief, we want nursing back to health.  In our heads we say, “How can I think about or do for others when I hurt so badly myself.  I want to be humble; I want to be giving and I would sacrifice my time to help others, but I CAN’T!”  I need healing.

I don’t think temptation is a part of the decision not to help others.  I believe that it is human nature to focus inward (revert to self) when any type of affliction attacks us.  I do agree that as Christians, we will fight harder to stay on point with Christ, still looking to serve.  But depending on the affliction, human frailty may win out and we will fail this test. All we can do is pray, ask forgiveness, and look forward to a better result next time we are tested.

The blunt truth ... when we suffer sickness or affliction we can become 'self centred' or 'me-centred' & hence tempted to stop ministering to others as we draw into ourselves (a person wrapped up in themselves is a very small parcel indeed!)

"I hope all is well with you & that you are healthy in body as you are strong in spirit" (3 Jn 2, NLT) ... there is a link between our physical health & our soul health (our mind, our will & our emotions) - as one goes so does the other!

Personal comment I have heard, on a number of occasions, teachers/preachers refer to Paul's 'thorn in the flesh' as a physical ailment. May I suggest an alternative view in Num 33:55 it states "... if you fail to drive out the people who live in the land, those who remain will be like SPLINTERS IN YOUR EYES & THORNS IN YOUR SIDES. They will harass you ..." (NLT) In this context 'thorns in your sides' is a euphemism for opposition & harassment  rather than physical ailments - just a thought!

We feel weak in times of sickness and affliction because we do not put our trust in the One True God. We need to declare His Word in all circumstances and give thanks continually. We allow our minds to play games with us instead of acknowledging that when I am weak, then I am strong ( 2 Corinthians 12 verse 10).

We stop ministering to others when struggling because we think how will God answer them through us if He has not answered us when we approached Him. We need to understand that His timing is perfect. God does not want us to look at our situations but we must focus on Jesus Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith. We lack faith and think that ministering to others happens only when things are going smoothly in our lives. There more we minister to others, the more God takes us out of the things we are struggling with. 

Q29. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why do we often feel so weak in times of sickness or affliction? Why are we tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling?\

The human body naturally reacts to pain caused by sickness by exhibiting painful symptoms in line with the pain within.

The magnitude of the pain within the body can actually inhibit one’s ability to work effectively.

However, we may also find the pain a mere excuse to stop work without learning from Paul who God clearly told him to move on as His grace would be sufficient for him to continue in his ministry.

We often feel weak in times of sickness because we hurt or ache, our attention is drawn to our own situation, usually we neglect God for healing. 

We are tempted to stop ministering when we have a physical condition or multiple worldly pressures upon us.. We may often feel there is no help from the Lord, we lose our focus on God's love and mercy.      

When we are ill we are at our most vulnerable. It is difficult to think about anyone or anything other than ourselves, especially if we are in pain. We may find it hard to pray, but we can ask our church to pray for us. It may be hard to concentrate on reading the Bible or meditating. I think when we are ill we tend to turn inwards and want to be alone. It is difficult to think beyond our own suffering to the needs of those around us. We may be so unwell that we neglect to take our suffering to the one physician who can help, which is a great mistake. 

1. We feel as if we need help and cannot get. We put our mind on ourselves and forget to real seek and believe God as a healer or rescuer. 

2. We get our mind off of the word and what God can do for us. We feel as if we are hurting to bad and cannot help someone else. Self-centered stops us from doing God's well due to pain we are focused on. God grace is sufficient, we forget that. We do not remember to push!  

• 2 weeks later...

In times of sickness or affliction, we often feel so weak because we think we are abandoned and not useful anymore. We are tempted to stop ministering to others when we are struggling because we focus more on our problems and not the needs of others. However, in the times we feel weakest and powerless, we may be on the threshold of experiencing God's grace and power in greater measure than ever before.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

These are interesting questions.  I had not thought about being tempted to stop ministering when we struggle.  It is certainly our struggle that connects us with others.  It is certainly Christ's victory and overcoming that lets people see Jesus in our lives and want to know him better. And in times of sickness and affliction we ARE weak.  Those are the times we need to be SURE we are calling out to Jesus for His saving...for His Grace and Mercy.